NBA Off Season Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So they didn't wanna pay Harden but their fine with giving Kanter even more money? Interesting.

I think Ronin nailed it. OKC had to match to show Durant and Westbrook they are committed to winning it all by paying Kanter.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OKC was okay to match because the cap went way up. They (stupidly) didn't anticipate the rising revenues and cap. They were so paranoid about the luxury tax that they wrecked a potential dynasty over what might have been a very brief and very small luxury tax bill.

The dumbest thing about that Harden mess is that they still had him on his rookie deal for another full season AND then they'd have his bird rights as a restricted free agent where no team could offer him more than 4 years, 58 million. Instead they bet on Harden not being a legit star and that the assets Houston sent over were more than just a bunch of chicken feed.

They screwed up royal.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OKC was okay to match because the cap went way up. They (stupidly) didn't anticipate the rising revenues and cap. They were so paranoid about the luxury tax that they wrecked a potential dynasty over what might have been a very brief and very small luxury tax bill.

The dumbest thing about that Harden mess is that they still had him on his rookie deal for another full season AND then they'd have his bird rights as a restricted free agent where no team could offer him more than 4 years, 58 million. Instead they bet on Harden not being a legit star and that the assets Houston sent over were more than just a bunch of chicken feed.

They screwed up royal.

it's still unfathomable to me that they wouldn't just amnesty Perkins' worthless ass and pay Harden what he deserved. Those three guys together would have eventually been unstoppable. Think about this... they're ALL MVP candidates and none of them have even hit 27 yet.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
it's still unfathomable to me that they wouldn't just amnesty Perkins' worthless ass and pay Harden what he deserved. Those three guys together would have eventually been unstoppable. Think about this... they're ALL MVP candidates and none of them have even hit 27 yet.

Yeah, Perkins was a corpse at that point. His baseline stats were wretched and his advanced stats were even uglier. He was killing them out there.

http://www.82games.com/1314/1314OKC.HTM

http://www.82games.com/1213/1213OKC.HTM

Look at Perkins production vs his center counterpart the in 12/13 and 13/14. He was posting a PER below 9, while his opponent was in the high teens. The dude was one of the worst rotation players in the NBA and they opted to keep HIM over keeping Harden.

Its probably the biggest "what if" of the current era.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

That's the part I will never understand. I can imagine different scenarios in which you let Harden go, but this just wasn't one of those scenarios. All they had to do was amnesty a terrible player.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That's the part I will never understand. I can imagine different scenarios in which you let Harden go, but this just wasn't one of those scenarios. All they had to do was amnesty a terrible player.

It gets even worse. They kept Perk because they thought they needed him to match up with Howard.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
ESPN sources say Jameer Nelson has landed three-year, $13.5M from Denver, while Jokic (2014 second-rounder) gets four-year deal worth $5.5M

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I thought Javalee Mcgee was going to be that rim protector the Mavs where looking for. I guess they are looking elsewhere....
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 3m3 minutes ago
ESPN sources say Mavs casting wide net in search for rim protection and that, I'm told, includes fresh look at one-time Mav Samuel Dalembert

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I thought Javalee Mcgee was going to be that rim protector the Mavs where looking for. I guess they are looking elsewhere....
I'm glad McD jumped on TC right away. Can't blame DAL for trying to land the big fish but it's prom night and they're without a date at the C position.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/SteveBHoop/status/621022796743716864

Damn would have liked the Suns to get in on this. He's probably better than any newcomer on our summer league team. Had some really good games when Durant got injured and then he himself suffered an injury which bothered him remainder of the season.

2nd rd pick? Absolute steal for Ainge and the Celtics.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/SteveBHoop/status/621022796743716864

Damn would have liked the Suns to get in on this. He's probably better than any newcomer on our summer league team. Had some really good games when Durant got injured and then he himself suffered an injury which bothered him remainder of the season.

2nd rd pick? Absolute steal for Ainge and the Celtics.

Suns are done for offseason unless they can get a deal for Morris.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jordan Hill signs with the Pacers. Would of loved to see Hill playing for the Suns.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jordan Hill signs with the Pacers. Would of loved to see Hill playing for the Suns.

Suns have enough players now. Any additional moves should include plyaers going as well as coming.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I felt the same way. There must have been a reason the Suns apparently didn't go after him. It looks like the reason is the Suns want to spread the court with the 3 point shot. This is something that Markieff, Teletović and Leuer can do.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I felt the same way. There must have been a reason the Suns apparently didn't go after him. It looks like the reason is the Suns want to spread the court with the 3 point shot. This is something that Markieff, Teletović and Leuer can do.

The Lakers supposedly had a problem with Hill's inconsistent effort.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's guilt. He owes the Lakers for the two years of salary he stole from them.

That is true. I don't know about him "stealing" money though. It's not like purposely injured himself or pretended injuries....he stole money as much as guys like Oden, Arenas, Grant Hill, all have.