NBA West Playoffs!

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Crap... you're right. I just typed out that entire last post thinking we'd played Dallas 3 times, not just twice.

Son of a...
Yeah, current head-to-head records are:

Mavs: 4-1 (3-0 vs Grizz, 1-1 vs Suns)
Grizz: 3-3 (0-3 vs Mavs, 3-0 vs Suns)
Suns: 1-4 (1-1 vs Mavs, 0-3 vs Grizz)

So even with an extra win against Dallas the Suns would still finish last, since each team would pick up one win and one loss if they all finish their little tournament 1-1.

Worse yet, Dallas will clinch a playoff spot tonight if they beat Phoenix, and then they won't have much to play for in the final game against Memphis when the Suns will desperately need Memphis to lose.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Worse yet, Dallas will clinch a playoff spot tonight if they beat Phoenix, and then they won't have much to play for in the final game against Memphis when the Suns will desperately need Memphis to lose.

Assuming the Suns have also figured that out, we should definitely see their best effort tonight. If the Suns sweep Dallas and Memphis, they have to finish ahead of one of them, right?

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Assuming the Suns have also figured that out, we should definitely see their best effort tonight. If the Suns sweep Dallas and Memphis, they have to finish ahead of one of them, right?

Yeah, I think that combination of wins means that even if we lose to Sacramento we're still in. Losing to Dallas almost definitely puts us out but beating them only really gives us another must win game.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So now that the suns sadly lost to Dallas last night :( what needs to happen for the suns make the playoff's if they have any chance? I know we need to win all remaining games but who do we have to hope for to lose? Just would be fun to have one team make the playoff's :(

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So now that the suns sadly lost to Dallas last night :( what needs to happen for the suns make the playoff's if they have any chance? I know we need to win all remaining games but who do we have to hope for to lose? Just would be fun to have one team make the playoff's :(

If you want to go through the agony, the Suns must beat the Grizzlies at home and the Kings on the road. Then Dallas must beat the Grizzlies in their last home game of the season.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If you want to go through the agony, the Suns must beat the Grizzlies at home and the Kings on the road. Then Dallas must beat the Grizzlies in their last home game of the season.

I'd love to watch this team in the playoffs if they were healthy and ready to play at the top of their game. As it is, I think it's for the best that Dragic lets that ankle heal and we don't risk anything more permanent. It's a little scary that he's turned that same ankle three times this season. Let's make the most of the draft and put this season to bed. If somehow they manage to sneak into the playoffs I retain the right to pretend I never said any of this.

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score
Do we need a grizz lost tonight as well?

Assuming the Suns win their remaining games, they'll finish at 49-33.

The Grizzlies are currently at 47-32. They must not finish better than 48-34 (since they hold the tie-breaker over Phoenix).

They can win one more game (not against the Suns) or it's over.

As such, Memphis can still be eliminated if they beat the Lakers today.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bottom line for the Suns to make the playoffs has become even more simple now that the Grizzlies beat the Lakers. The Suns must beat the Grizzlies at home and beat the Kings on the road. The Grizzlies must lose to the Suns in Phoenix and lose to Dallas in Memphis.

I'm ready to put this season to bed as well as Catlover although the Suns may not be ready. I'd like for Dragic to rest the final two games.

HooverDam

Reaction score
It's over :(

Even if the Suns beat Memphis and Sacramento, we need Memphis to lose to Dallas. Dallas is in the playoffs no matter what, they have no reason to try to win that game. Dallas might even try to tank it on purpose if they want to play the Spurs instead of OKC in Rd 1 (a distinct possibility).

It'll be a miracle for the Suns to make it at this point. Very sad to have such an amazing, surprising season, then come up this short. The only consolation prize is a mid first road pick, which even in this draft, is a total crapshoot.

chickenhead

Reaction score
I'd love to see the atmosphere at home with the Suns is the playoffs, but if it doesn't happen, there's still so much reason for optimism. Seriously, how much better was this season than the to-tank-or-not-to-tank debate?

The improved pick is definitely a crapshoot, but something to look forward to all the same. Wouldn't it be cool to repeat the success of some previous mid-to-late first-rounders like Nance, Majerle, Finley, Nash? Lot of first-round disappointments, too, but it should be fun. I think McD and Hornacek know what they want for their system. A big improvement in faith over the last few years...

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen conflicting schedules about where the Grizzlies play Dallas. I believe they play in Dallas although two schedules I looked at early this morning and before showed otherwise. However, the articles I have read say the game is in Dallas so that is what I'm going with plus my memory.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I'd love to see the atmosphere at home with the Suns is the playoffs, but if it doesn't happen, there's still so much reason for optimism. Seriously, how much better was this season than the to-tank-or-not-to-tank debate?

The improved pick is definitely a crapshoot, but something to look forward to all the same. Wouldn't it be cool to repeat the success of some previous mid-to-late first-rounders like Nance, Majerle, Finley, Nash? Lot of first-round disappointments, too, but it should be fun. I think McD and Hornacek know what they want for their system. A big improvement in faith over the last few years...

You know, that's how I am looking at it too. Usually I wouldn't be excited about something like #14, #18, and #27, but I really believe McD will be able to find some good talent with each pick. I still cannot believe he managed to get Green, Plumlee, and a 1st round pick for Scola.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
I've seen conflicting schedules about where the Grizzlies play Dallas. I believe they play in Dallas although two schedules I looked at early this morning and before showed otherwise. However, the articles I have read say the game is in Dallas so that is what I'm going with plus my memory.

Game is at Memphis.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It's over :(

Even if the Suns beat Memphis and Sacramento, we need Memphis to lose to Dallas. Dallas is in the playoffs no matter what, they have no reason to try to win that game. Dallas might even try to tank it on purpose if they want to play the Spurs instead of OKC in Rd 1 (a distinct possibility).

It'll be a miracle for the Suns to make it at this point. Very sad to have such an amazing, surprising season, then come up this short. The only consolation prize is a mid first road pick, which even in this draft, is a total crapshoot.

So that's the scenario then? I was just going to ask because I heard 2 different things on the radio.

We have to win out and Memphis has to lose out? 2 games left a piece right? (one against eachother)

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So that's the scenario then? I was just going to ask because I heard 2 different things on the radio.

We have to win out and Memphis has to lose out? 2 games left a piece right? (one against eachother)

Correct and one of their opponents is Dallas and they might not have much to play for.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
If Minnesota beats GSW tonight then Dallas will fight for the 6th seed.

If I were Dallas I would rather face the Clippers than Thunder or Spurs.

Last edited:

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

If I were Dallas I would want to face the Clippers rather than Thunder or Spurs.

No dobut! GO TIMBERWOLVES!

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
What an unlucky franchise. Coming off big wins against OKC and POR, Dragic gets hurt before two big games that might have clinched it.

:bang:

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If I were Dallas I would rather face the Clippers than Thunder or Spurs.

Even if they lost to Minny, i dont see how the mavs with a gimpy Dirk can beat Memphis.....Well, never say never, i gues

HooverDam

Reaction score
i doubt this.

Doubt Minny beats GS? Agreed.

But if they do, why wouldn't Dallas try to go for the 6 seed? Every team in the west should be trying to avoid SA and OKC. Every other team is beatable in Rd 1, especially if Dirk goes off.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doubt Minny beats GS? Agreed.

But if they do, why wouldn't Dallas try to go for the 6 seed? Every team in the west should be trying to avoid SA and OKC. Every other team is beatable in Rd 1, especially if Dirk goes off.

doubt both. OKC has been seriously up and down since Westbrook came back and the Mavs are an old team and Dirk just had an ankle scare/tweak this weekend. The incentive to be rested for the playoffs rather then risk injury against a team that's going to be fighting for their playoff lives just doesn't seem realistic to me.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I give a ton of credit to Horny for taking a mixed bag and working to get the most from the guys. I tip my hat to Goran for playing so well even when snubbed for the All-Star game. I have also been thrilled with the production from Bledsoe, Miles, and Green...

I am optimistic about the future. I think with an improved front court, the Suns can be true contenders in the West, even though it is stacked with talented teams. If I were a top tier Free Agent, I would want to play with Dragic/Bledsoe and Hornacek. I haven't thought this is years, but I can imagine players wanting to come to Phoenix again. ...small problem, I don't see any great free agents on the horizon.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake