New mock from the War Room

CardsFan222

Rookie
Reaction score
I watched 7 to 8 Texas games this year, and I to at the start of the year thought Vince Young would have to change to WR, But after watching the kid all year you could see what kind of leader he was and how he would single handily take over games. He has very good command on his throws and is a very accurate QB. His only weakness that I could see is his throwing motion but because he is 6-5, I no longer think it is that big of a deal. He will have to learn an NFL offense but every QB thats not from USC will have to do the same thing........And one more thing........he was 30-2 in his career and played his best ball in the biggest games

Then you look at Cutler. A kid that has a 11-34 record and has some of the worst footwork I have ever seen from a kid in the top 10. His throwing motion is all over the place. He does have a cannon of an arm but it gets him into trouble because he will throw from his back foot all the time. And there has to be something said for a guy that knows how to win games and has played in a big game. Cutlers best day came in a win against Tennessee during the season. Vandy was 5-0 at one point this season and did not make a bowl game.

But because Cutler looks good in shorts everyone wants to put him in the same class as Young. I just dont get it.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So you're equating a "pro style offense" with "played more snaps under center"? Are you kidding?

I'm pretty sure that Ben Roethlisberger did not play in a pro-style offense at Miami (OH) any more than Byron Leftwich did at Marshall (or Chad Pennington, who still managed to win an NFL passing title playing under center in a west-coast offensive scheme with the Jets). The Miami (OH) head coach has no NFL experience, and coached at NC State and Tennessee-Chatenooga before becoming O-coordinator and working with Roethlisberger. It might not have been a "spread" offense, but it wasn't anything comperable to what USC, Notre Dame, or Virginia runs, either.

And I think that you're overlooking a lot of spread offense players that have had success in the NFL. Like Drew Brees, Steve McNair, Leftwich, Pennington, etc. It's a little early to write off David Carr, Alex Smith, Phillip Rivers, and Rex Grossman, don't you think?

Again, Cutler was not a "drop back passer" in college. Watch the highlight reel from the Alabama game, and you'll see that most of his snaps were from the shotgun, and those that weren't were off play action and showed lousy, lousy footwork.

If you want to talk about "running" QBs and their success in the NFL, I can just as well cite Randall Cunningham, Daunte Culpepper, Michael Vick, Donovan McNabb, and Ben Roethlisberger (who is moving in the pocket all the time and is a consistent threat to run).

The only thing that Vince Young did consistently in college was win against the best competition in college football. I guess Jay Cutler lost a lot of games against good teams, though. And that Tennesee team that he beat was wildly overrated.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Um... how many Vandy games did you watch again? Cutler's footwork is a mess and from what I saw from the Alabama game, Cutler took a ton of snaps from the shotgun. The only times I saw him drop back was on play-action.

And since when does Vanderbilt run a "pro-style" offense? Give me a break. Their head coach has only coached at Furman University. At least know what you're talking about. Their offensive coordinator only coached at NC State before joining the Commodores. Where does the "pro-style offense" fit in here? Oh, it doesn't.

The fact of the matter is that both these guys are going to have to sit for two years before they're able to start, but Young has a higher ceiling. Why is the bust potential lower for Cutler? Because he's a dropback passer (allegedly)? Wasn't Akili Smith? Or Cade McNown? Or Ryan Leaf? If he's merely an average quarterback (like Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer) eventually, does that justify burning a Top 10 pick on him? How so?

:thumbup: Give me Vince Young. Cutler will fold with an NFL rush. VY - No Way!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Answer would be Cutler because he ran a more pro-style offense in college whereas Young had a simple offense simplified.

If you want to talk option QB's which is where I would rank Vince Young (though Texas runs a different type of option offense), where is the success history there?

Oddly enough, in a couple of plays in the highlights from the Vanderbilt /Richmond game Cutler is seen..... running the option. :D

Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
So you're equating a "pro style offense" with "played more snaps under center"? Are you kidding?

I'm pretty sure that Ben Roethlisberger did not play in a pro-style offense at Miami (OH) any more than Byron Leftwich did at Marshall (or Chad Pennington, who still managed to win an NFL passing title playing under center in a west-coast offensive scheme with the Jets). The Miami (OH) head coach has no NFL experience, and coached at NC State and Tennessee-Chatenooga before becoming O-coordinator and working with Roethlisberger. It might not have been a "spread" offense, but it wasn't anything comperable to what USC, Notre Dame, or Virginia runs, either.

And I think that you're overlooking a lot of spread offense players that have had success in the NFL. Like Drew Brees, Steve McNair, Leftwich, Pennington, etc. It's a little early to write off David Carr, Alex Smith, Phillip Rivers, and Rex Grossman, don't you think?

Again, Cutler was not a "drop back passer" in college. Watch the highlight reel from the Alabama game, and you'll see that most of his snaps were from the shotgun, and those that weren't were off play action and showed lousy, lousy footwork.

If you want to talk about "running" QBs and their success in the NFL, I can just as well cite Randall Cunningham, Daunte Culpepper, Michael Vick, Donovan McNabb, and Ben Roethlisberger (who is moving in the pocket all the time and is a consistent threat to run).

The only thing that Vince Young did consistently in college was win against the best competition in college football. I guess Jay Cutler lost a lot of games against good teams, though. And that Tennesee team that he beat was wildly overrated.
The Big -12 is pathetic

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Bellingham Mike said:
The Big -12 is pathetic

Big 12 has the current NCAA National Champions in Baseball and Football. Guess that makes all the rest of the nations' conferences Super Pathetic.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Bellingham Mike said:
The Big -12 is pathetic

I'm not a huge fan of the Big 12, but Oklahoma was pretty good last year, and Texas Tech beat a lot of people. And they beat a really good Ohio State team. In 2004, Young and Texas beat 5 ranked teams.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
Given those attributes what makes him different from Josh McCown?

i would argue the "smart kid" part. and i'm no fan of cutler.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Chopper0080 said:
at least Cutler only has one year to go before he makes an impact.

this is a tremendous presumption! most qbs need more than a year to make an impact and cutler is widely considered a project. if he'll progress more quickly than young is a toss up at best.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You guys make some very valid points and maybe it is my bias against Young that I believe Cutler will be a better pro. I have just seen more from Cutler than I have from Young as a passer and maybe that is my fault for not watching Young closer in the games I did see. I have said many times that both are projects and I just see Cutler as closer to being ready for the NFL game. I know the crow is waiting and I will be happy to eat it if I am wrong.