Niners wins don't look so lame now, do they?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With SF winning three straight since we beat them on Monday night, our win in that game looks a lot better now. That just goes to show that there is never such a thing as a bad win and you never, ever need to apologize for one.

BTW, reverse the outcomes of the two Niners games, they would be 7-6 and we would be 6-7. I think they are putting a bullseye on us for next year.

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Agreed!

The team has rallied around old-school Mike Singletary. In the NFL there are a few "elite" teams and a few REALLY BAD teams. The rest are somewhere in the middle. Each team has some talent but alot of times it's out of sync for various reasons. This year, (actually it started last year), we have seen the difference excellent coaching makes. The coaches taught and the players bought into it. The result: A "talented" team on paper is NOW a talented-team on the field. If I were assessing the NFC West at this point I see the Seahawks on the decline, the Rams are a mess, and the 49ers on the rise. Providing the front-office does it's part I see us being a factor for many years to come. GO CARDS! NFC WEST CHAMPION!! Man, I luv' the sound of that! :D

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With SF winning three straight since we beat them on Monday night, our win in that game looks a lot better now. That just goes to show that there is never such a thing as a bad win and you never, ever need to apologize for one.

BTW, reverse the outcomes of the two Niners games, they would be 7-6 and we would be 6-7. I think they are putting a bullseye on us for next year.

Yep. Any win in the NFL is a quality win.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Glad they nothing left to play for...but pride. Hope they keep winning and drop in draft status.

If you listened closely at the end of the game you could hear a 'sigh' coming from the direction of San Francisco as their playoff hopes are OFFICIALLY DEAD.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
As I have said in other threads... if the Cards don't fix their putrid running game and add some depth on defense, I would not at all be surprised to see the 9ers win the West next year.
To expect this sort of season again next year from Kurt, Fitz, Breaston and maybe Boldin is just not realistic at all...

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
Driving back to Flagstaff after the game last night, on my AM Radio, I lost the feed for KTAR post game show and was able to pick up a strong signal from KBNR (?) some radio station in Northern California with the SF post game show. Most of the callers were obviously psyched about their big upset, as they should be. A lot of them thought their big problem was failing to recognize Shaun Hill should have been their starter all along. They may have a point, but it seems like a pretty big gamble. Are they going to bet the farm that Hill is their future? If so, and they are right, they are pretty well on their way. If not, I think they have a long way to go. I think the Rams and Seattle are both going to be down for the count for the near future.

The SF wins were huge. We would be in a huge fight for the division right now, if we hadn't won both. I don't take a win against anyone for granted ever. Living through all the less than five win Cardinals seasons, you learn you always have a chance against anyone. If you have a horrible season, essentially out of it by Columbus day, you hang on because you know you can always kneecap some good team in December and ruin their season. It can always happen and its a hell of a good time. Its why Detroit took the Vikings to the wire yesterday. No one's ever completely out of anything in this league. Call it parity or whatever, to me its the reason any NFL game is watchable and, by far, NFL is the best sport.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The funny thing is the reaction from people around SF. They were askign on the postgame show if Singletary won the job yet, ex 49er Eric Davis said the question is are they playing well because Singletary is here, or because nolan is gone. he said sometimes if you don't get buyin from players, they just quit listening to the coach, and when the coach gets canned, whoever takes over reaps the benefits of players happy the other coach is gone.

I think the main difference is playing HIll instead of O'Sullivan, it was the turnovers that was killing them.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the Niners would give us all we could handle this season. They went through some turmoil, but they have some talent over there and Frank Gore is a beast.

I am more surprised at the early start of the season for them than the way they've played the last few weeks.

CarterAZ

Reaction score
Yeah, while I was at the game yesterday watching the scores come in, I wasn’t at all surprised to see the 49’ers taking care if the Jets. The Jets looked miserable last week against (IMO) a poor Denver defense and I wondered how’d they fare against a jack-up 49’er team at home.

The more I see of Mike Singletary, the more I like him out there at the helm… if nothing else, he “looks” great as a head coach. I told my mom at the game yesterday I’m sure glad we don’t have to play them again this year…

So many things change between this year and next, who knows if they continue to improve or not… Hell, I don’t really give a rat’s patooie, ‘cause I’m putting vice-grips on this year’s little slice of heaven with no plans to pull the release.

Nothing better than a packed house, a complete game, and a division title since Mannix left the airwaves. You gotta love it!

OP
OP
ajcardfan

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sure is interesting that the two wins that were the most disparaged after they happened (including some posters on this board), saw those two teams immediately turn their seasons around the very next game. Miami could very well make the playoffs (who would've believed THAT in week 2?) and the Niners just pounded everyone's trendy Super Bowl pick of just a couple of weeks ago.

I was telling my wife yesterday that we caught a lot breaks this year that we never had before. I have to include catching Miami and SF at just the right time as part of those breaks.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
It sure is interesting that the two wins that were the most disparaged after they happened (including some posters on this board), saw those two teams immediately turn their seasons around the very next game. Miami could very well make the playoffs (who would've believed THAT in week 2?) and the Niners just pounded everyone's trendy Super Bowl pick of just a couple of weeks ago.

I was telling my wife yesterday that we caught a lot breaks this year that we never had before. I have to include catching Miami and SF at just the right time as part of those breaks.

I remember Dion Sanders scoffing at the Cardinals' blowout win against Miami as "well, it was against MIAMI...ha ha ha ha".

Of course, now the blowout win against Buffalo will now be disregarded as well....since the Bills have started tanking. They were playing great when the Cards blasted them.

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
The Niners have talent on both sides of the ball. Getting J Turnover O'Sullivan out of the lineup has been the spark they needed. Their turnovers put a solid defense in a hole all season long. The Cards and the Niners ARE the BIG rivalry of the NFC west. We shouldn't look past these guys.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
The funny thing is the reaction from people around SF. They were askign on the postgame show if Singletary won the job yet, ex 49er Eric Davis said the question is are they playing well because Singletary is here, or because nolan is gone. he said sometimes if you don't get buyin from players, they just quit listening to the coach, and when the coach gets canned, whoever takes over reaps the benefits of players happy the other coach is gone.

I think the main difference is playing HIll instead of O'Sullivan, it was the turnovers that was killing them.

Agreed - I have been nothing but impressed with him everytime I have watched him play.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

And WE ON THEM!! For them to come into UoP and play the way they did, puts a target on them for US - :newcards:

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
Sure, they beat the Jets yesterday, but they were at home when they did it. I'm not all that impressed.:shrug:

OP
OP
ajcardfan

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, they beat the Jets yesterday, but they were at home when they did it. I'm not all that impressed.:shrug:

The Jets were the media darlings up until yesterday. And, on ESPN, the Jets were picked by 92% of the people picking that game. So, it was a damn good win for the Niners. They really handled a team that needed that game badly.

IAWarnerFan

Reaction score
The Jets were the media darlings up until yesterday. And, on ESPN, the Jets were picked by 92% of the people picking that game. So, it was a damn good win for the Niners. They really handled a team that needed that game badly.
Honestly, they're my 2nd favorite team, so I was just stating that side of it.;)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed the victories over the 49ers seem a little more of an accomplishent then it did a few weeks back.

Not to mention how a "terrible" Eagle team took it to us and then go into Giant Stadium and knock them off.

Many times it's not who you play but it's when you play them.

IAWarnerFan

Reaction score
The Eagles game is fairly easy to explain. For one, one of the Cardinals best CBs didn't play and the other is the cold weather theory.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The Whiners screwed us last year, pay back is a bitch!

All Hail the NFC Western Division Champions

YOOOOUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRR

ARIZONA CARDINALS

young tone

5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!!!
Reaction score
The Niners have talent on both sides of the ball. Getting J Turnover O'Sullivan out of the lineup has been the spark they needed. Their turnovers put a solid defense in a hole all season long. The Cards and the Niners ARE the BIG rivalry of the NFC west. We shouldn't look past these guys.

Exactly. Now I dont know how well we'll do next year but one thing is for sure that when we play you guys, it'll be a tough hard fought game. BTW congrats on winning the west :cheers:

Mike Singletary might be the guy for us since all the players seem to play a lil harder and seem to play for each other. Now he's not an X's and O's guy so it'll be interesting to see what Martz will do and if we do happen to change offenses once again. Also we need to boast up both lines and hold on the ball. Its going to be an interesting offseason but I am satisfied with Singletary so far

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who said that the 49er wins were lame?