NY Mets @ Arizona Diamondbacks series thread. 08/27/24-08/29/24

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
It wasn't a blocking the plate issue last night though. He had the ball in plenty of time but lollygagged on the tag. It was a low effort play and that's what drives me nuts.
Didn't say he was blocking the plate. But the new rule has made it confusing, especially for a rookie who's head is swirling with a zillion thoughts, to make quick decisions about where to stand when there is a play at the plate. That tag wasn't a case of "lolly-gagging," as much as it was - at least to me, a clear indication of a rookie catcher who didn't have the experience to inform him of the potential for the sort of slide Marte used. And combined with his inability to more aggressively take a position at the plate after he caught the ball (IMO due to the uncertainty the new rule has caused), Marte was able to sneak his right hand in ahead of the tag. No doubt a major learning moment for ADC.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Not sure about J-Mart being brought in in a non-save situation... I can understand Torey trying to get him used to pitching in pressure situations, but I think I would've preferred to save J-Mart strictly for the save opportunity...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Game like this were really missing the big three
Yep... Unless you're the Dodgers, no other team can effectively plan to lose 3 of the best right-handed bats in the line-up all at the same time. Lefties are gonna kill us until Walker, Marte and Moreno return.

krazy2k

Veteran
Reaction score
Not sure about J-Mart being brought in in a non-save situation... I can understand Torey trying to get him used to pitching in pressure situations, but I think I would've preferred to save J-Mart strictly for the save opportunity...
Sorry, 82CardsGrad. J-Mart is not a closer at this point in time. He is the Wild Thing. Give Puk a shot at the closer role. DBacks were very lucky to win at least one game in this series (with the CC grand slam in the bottom of the 9th last night). You rarely use your "closer" in a tie game. The problem is that the DBacks do not have a closer. Sewald "lost it and turned in his wings", J-Mart is unproven and volatile in the role, and Ryan Thompson is definitely a set up man. Give Puk a shot at the closer role, Hazen Lovullo. Worth a try.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Sorry, 82CardsGrad. J-Mart is not a closer at this point in time. He is the Wild Thing. Give Puk a shot at the closer role. DBacks were very lucky to win at least one game in this series (with the CC grand slam in the bottom of the 9th last night). You rarely use your "closer" in a tie game. The problem is that the DBacks do not have a closer. Sewald "lost it and turned in his wings", J-Mart is unproven and volatile in the role, and Ryan Thompson is definitely a set up man. Give Puk a shot at the closer role, Hazen Lovullo. Worth a try.
I haven't heard Torey's post-game presser... but I wouldn't be surprised if this was his plan today... Using J-Mart in the 9th in a tie game and if we took the lead, using Puk as the closer. Didn't get that chance unfortunately.

krazy2k

Veteran
Reaction score
I haven't heard Torey's post-game presser... but I wouldn't be surprised if this was his plan today... Using J-Mart in the 9th in a tie game and if we took the lead, using Puk as the closer. Didn't get that chance unfortunately.
Puk pitched in the 7th today...only 2 outs. Lovullo seems to have Puk on speed dial for the 7th and isn't interested in trying him as the closer.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Puk pitched in the 7th today...only 2 outs. Lovullo seems to have Puk on speed dial for the 7th and isn't interested in trying him as the closer.
I know we've kicked this topic around quite a bit already... I trust Torey and believe there are very sound, solid reasons why Puk hasn't yet been relied upon as the closer. Maybe we'll one day hear those reasons. However, it wouldn't be uncommon if we never find out as some things like this often remain within the team and between player & coach.
Or, there are still 28 games left in the season. That's time for J-Mart to earn more trust, or, for Puk to be tested in the closer position.

My personal opinion is that both Hazen and Torey strongly desire to see Sewald back in the closer role, as that would cement the pen rotation heading into the post season. That as the plan heading into the season and it was the plan even while Sewald was on the IR. However, as is often the case, plans can change, sometimes suddenly. Clearly, Sewald can't be trusted and that leaves the team in a very uncertain position. And again, while it may appear from the outside that Puk is the natural solution, I have to believe there are very good reasons as to why the team has yet to move in that direction.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That reckless head first slide into Marte is going to cost us the division