Official 2006 NFL Draft Thread

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
With the 8th pick, the Bills select: Donte Whitner!!!???!!!???

Strengths: Is a versatile safety prospect. Lacks bulk but shows a powerful upper body for his size. He fills extremely hard versus the run and is relentless in pursuit. He will sacrifice his body in run support and shows absolutely no fear. He takes good angles in pursuit and has developed into a sound open field tackler. Is fluid and athletic. Shows good speed for a DS and provides some versatility because of his ability to cover. He has proven capable of matching up one-on-one vs. bigger WR's in the slot. He has good range in deep coverage and shows the consistent ability to reach the sideline in two-deep coverage. He also is a playmaker when the ball is in the air, showing excellent timing on his jumps and fine ball skills. He has good experience on special teams. Should make an impact covering kicks immediately in the NFL. Plays the game hard and shows a very good work ethic.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal size. Is a bit on the shorter side and needs to add bulk to his frame. He fills hard versus the run and will throw his body around, but he does not match up well in the phone booth. He will get knocked off his feet too easily. Needs to improve his lower body strength and do a better job of knowing his limitation in terms of what blocks he decides to take on. His recognition skills still must improve. He diagnoses some plays too late and will need some polishing in that area. He lacks ideal starting experience and may need more reps than other top DS prospects before he's ready to compete for a fulltime job. He has some durability issues after knee surgery in 2004.

Overall: Whitner played mostly on special teams in all 13 games of his true freshman season in 2003. He split time with Tyler Everett in the first two games of 2004, then took over as the starter and started the next five games before suffering a knee injury in the first half of the Indiana game. He underwent arthroscopic surgery and missed the next game vs. Penn State. He returned the following week against Michigan State, sat out the next week at Purdue, but returned to play in the final two games of the 2004 season. Whitner started all 12 games as a junior in 2005 and finished with 73 tackles, nine TFL, four sacks and two interceptions. Whitner lacks ideal experience as an early entry prospect that only started one full season (2005) of his collegiate career. He still has room to improve in terms of his recognition skills and overall awareness, but Whitner has a lot of upside as a versatile safety. He shows good range and playmaking skills in coverage, and he also supports the run hard and has developed into a decent open-field tackler. Whitner is one of the best overall safety prospects in the 2006 class and he deserves consideration as early as the second round.

* Player biographies are provided by Scouts Inc.

Next up..... The Detriot Matt Millens.....

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
awesome, with Buffalos pick we are guaranteed Leinhart or Bunkley.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wow......who?.....just.... WOW!
Your gonna tell me you couldn't trade down, I dunno.. 10 picks and still get Whitner?

Horrible drafting.. regardless of how Whitner pans out.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I have a sick feeling we are going to get so close to Leinart and it will sleep away. I hope Im wrong, this is the new Cardinals after all

Savage58

Defense, Defense, DEFENSE
Reaction score
Detroit please take Bunkley!!!!!!!!! PUH LEAAAAAAAAZZZZZZEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Bring on Matty BOY, I'll be ordering my #10 jersey tonight if we get him!!!!!!!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Broncos don't trade up (and it seems their deal wasn't sweet enough to wrestled a FS away from Buffalo) then I think leinart should be ours.

oh, god...please.

Savage58

Defense, Defense, DEFENSE
Reaction score
Denver trading up is scaring the hell out of me right now I can't stand it!!!!!!11

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
Bunkley is an underweight, soft DT who happened to work out great. Mike Mamula Syndrome.

The Cardinals will break their necks running up to the podium for Leinart.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Interesting that Leinart left his table and hasn't returned. Roethlesberger stuck it out. Rodgers stuck it out.

I WANT CUTLER!!!!

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
red desert said:
Interesting that Leinart left his table and hasn't returned. Roethlesberger stuck it out. Rodgers stuck it out.

I WANT CUTLER!!!!
booooooooooooo!!!!!

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
Mayock called Whitner on NFL network yesterday.

That man deserves a raise. ANYONE who could have called a pick that ridiculous is either lucky or damn good.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
if leinart goes to detroit this will almost be as bad us the suns trading away their pick and iggy ended up dropping.