Official 2007 NFL Draft Thread

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I will correct myself. I hope the Bucs take Gaines Adams. I believe Brady Quinn causes has more trade value than Peterson or Adams.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sucks that Thomas is off the board, but I think we all got are hopes a little too high. we didn't properly address LT in the offseason and had to hope our guy would be there in the draft. Bad planning.

If we pass on Peterson, I'm gonna admit myself into an asylum for my, and Graves own protection.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
If the Cards believe that there is not much difference between Joe Thomas and Levi Brown, why not simply select Brown as your fifth pick? If he turns out to be a solid offensive lineman its a win.

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
Sucks that Thomas is off the board, but I think we all got are hopes a little too high. we didn't properly address LT in the offseason and had to hope our guy would be there in the draft. Bad planning.

If we pass on Peterson, I'm gonna admit myself into an asylum for my, and Graves own protection.

I knew it my heart of hearts that he would be gone. He was graded too high and 5 is too late--some team was going to go with the smart, safe pick

Now the Bucs take Gaines Adams

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
#4 Pick - Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Gaines Adams
DE | (6'4
You must be registered for see images attach
", 258, 4.64) | CLEMSON

Scouts Grade: 97View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag
| All Ranked Players
| NFL Draft History You are signed into Insider
You must be registered for see images
and have access to the exclusive draft content below.
Strengths: Possesses adequate-to-good height and only decent bulk -- but room on his frame to get bigger. Very agile for the position. Displays explosive first-step quickness and good top-end speed as an edge rusher. Displays very good instincts and awareness as a pass rusher. Has long arms, times his jumps well and does a great job of batting down passes at the line of scrimmage. He also has shown good fluidity when occasionally asked to drop in coverage on zone blitzes. He has improved his discipline and technique versus the run. Does a fine job of sealing off the backside. He gets upfield quickly and can be disruptive in the backfield versus the run. Also shows very good change-of-direction skills in space, which allows him to redirect and pursue as a run defender.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal bulk and lower body strength. He will need to improve his size in order to consistently take on NFL blockers. He absorbs too many blocks and doesn't do a consistent enough job of disengaging once reached. Needs to play with more consistent leverage versus the run. Has a tendency to come out of his stance too high and will allow linemen to get into his pads too frequently. He needs to become more consistent as a tackler. He will overextend at times and gets caught lunging or leaving his feet too frequently.

Overall: Adams was redshirted in 2002. He saw action in 12 games as a backup defensive end for the 2003 season, registering 15 total tackles, four tackles for loss, and one sack. Adams played in all 11 contests with just one start (Texas A&M) in 2004 but did win Clemson's defensive 12th man award after recording 35 total tackles, eight tackles for loss, five sacks, and two blocked punts. In 2005, he took over as the starting "bandit" DE and made 56 total tackles, 15 tackles for loss, 9.5 sacks, 29 quarterback pressures, and three forced fumbles. Adams started all 13 games during the 2006 season, finishing with 62 total tackles, 17.5 tackles for loss, 12.5 sacks, two forced fumbles, and three fumble recoveries. Adams made a wise decision to bypass the 2006 NFL and return for his senior season. He played eight-man football in high school, so he needed the extra time in college to mature both physically and as a player. He still needs to get bigger and do a better job of defending the run. He will take some plays off and doesn't appear to give the same effort from one-snap to the next. However, he is an outstanding athlete with the burst and natural instincts to immediately become an impact pass rusher in the NFL. While it's possible he could play rush-linebacker in a 3-4 scheme, we think he fits best as a weak-side DE in a four-man front. Regardless, Adams grades out as the premier defensive end prospect in the 2007 class and he should come off the board within the top-10 picks.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If the Cards believe that there is not much difference between Joe Thomas and Levi Brown, why not simply select Brown as your fifth pick? If he turns out to be a solid offensive lineman its a win.

I am with you. If you are real high on a player, then just draft him.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So who wants to trade for Quinn and AP... We better be getting some calls now.
Bills or GB might want to move up for Peterson. KC and Miami may want to move up for Quinn.

Here's a thought: As good as the big guy from NYG is (I forget his name, but he was the "Thunder" to Tiki's "Lightning"), the Giants may like to have Peterson, too.

EDIT: Brandon Jacobs!