Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Nice Call!!!

Kenny Iwebema

DE | (6'4", 274, 4.91) | IOWA
Scouts Grade: 54

Flags: (C: CHARACTER) Problems on and off the field(D: DURABILITY) Player that can't stay healthy(S: SPEED) Player lacks ideal speed at position

View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag
You must be registered for see images attach
| All Ranked Players
You must be registered for see images attach
| NFL Draft History
You are signed into Insider
You must be registered for see images
and have access to the exclusive draft content below.
Strengths: Is an athletic wide-end prospect with adequate-to-good quickness. He shows a relentless motor as a pass rusher. Displays some upper-body power as a pass rusher and can be effective using swim and rip techniques. Gives a great effort versus the run and occasionally will display a mean streak. Will fire off the line quickly and with good leverage. Does a fine job with hand placement and fights hard to hold his ground when teams run at him. Pursues hard from the backside and plays to the whistle. Solid open-field tackler for his position and shows some short-area power. Blocked two field goal attempts in Syracuse game last year, blocked two field goal attempts in 2005 Illinois game and can contribute on special teams.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal bulk. Plays with a narrow base and needs to improve his lower-body strength. Struggles to match up in a phone booth versus bigger offensive tackles. Not very effective on inside stunts and really struggles to hold up physically when he's stuck inside when the tight end shifts over to his side. He's a smooth athlete with adequate speed, but he's a notch below the elite level in terms of initial quickness and change-of-direction skills. Durability is an issue. In 2006, he missed all of three games and part of others due to shoulder injury that required surgery (returned for Alamo Bowl game vs. Texas). In 2004, he sustained an ankle injury in bowl game (vs. LSU). In 2007, he missed the Michigan State game after sustaining a concussion the previous week.

Overall: Iwebema arrived at Iowa in 2003 and redshirted the year. In his first three seasons (2004-'06), he appeared in 32 games (19 starts) and compiled 78 tackles (15 for losses) and 11 sacks. As a senior, he played in 11 games (all starts) and finished the season with 28 tackles (five for losses), 3.5 sacks, a forced fumble, two blocked kicks and two pass breakups. Iwebema had shoulder surgery during the 2006 season, but was able to return for the Alamo Bowl against Texas. He missed one game in 2007 because of an injury. He also was suspended one game in 2006 for a violation of team rules. Iwebema is a traditional weak-side defensive end prospect who is at his best rushing the passer and making plays in pursuit. However, he's not in the elite category in terms of first-step quickness and closing burst so he must improve his bulk and lower-body strength to become a more complete player. Iwebema projects as a sixth round pick as a result.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
From Kenny's Q&A:

Who has been the biggest influence on your football career and how? Ron Aiken -- was my position coach for four years.

That explains it.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Not over thrilled with Kenny Iwebema (DE) Iowa, I think he was our first reach of the draft. I would of preferred some OL help, we have no depth on the OL

Brewster10

Registered
Reaction score
He only had 3 sacks last yr.. he's hardly a great pass rusher..

He'll be a decent backup..

We should have went with one of the LBs (Henderson or Adibi)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eek...based on that scouting report above it looks like a monster reach.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
He is more of a run defender than a pass rusher.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I would have taken Adibi here....nice job, Graves

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
yea, im not too thrilled. i would have rather just gotten schmitt a little early.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I don't get this pick. There's much better players on the board. I would have taken another DB before him.

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
He wasn't very high on my list either..... Henderson or Adibi could prove to be better players.

And Choice is a personal favorite of mine.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
from urbans blog on azcardinals.com

Cards take Iowa defensive end Kenny Iwebema in the fourth round, At 6-4 and 272 pounds, they add more depth to the line. The Pro Football Weekly draft guide says he can "dominate physically with uncanny playing strength but has yet to put it all together" and "could be a much better pro than college player." This is probably about inside info; Cardinals d-line coach Ron Aiken coached Iwebema at Iowa before Aiken was hired by Arizona.

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I live in Iowa and this was a terrible pick. What a waste? We will sorely regret taking this pick.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What is Graves thinking? Oh, that's right, he doesn't think. This pick does not make sense. They should of taken Adibi.