OT: Michael Vick wants to own a dog

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guy did more time for dog fighting than most murders do for killing people. Crazy.

I know someone who did more time for shoplifting.

And I know someone who got less for killing two people while drinking and driving AND speeding. There is no fairness in our judicial system.

Ok, I will admit that Vick could change my mind. However a heavily publicized "rehab my marketing image" will never do it.

If he were to feel truly remorseful and spend the next 10 years quietly volunteering at rescue shelters [or something like that] then maybe I might unclench on this a little.

The emphasis being on quietly, ie no publicity and nothing for him to gain. The current efforts is all about rehabbing his image.

I'm not unreasonable I just don't believe him. To your point about learning to behave better as one grows up ... If I had done something as heinous as he did, it would take more than a public rehab tour to enable me to live with myself again.

Two things. You are okay with him volunteering to help many animals even though you don't think he should own a dog? I understand that there is more monitoring in that setting, but you are still alone with animals often. (I worked at a shelter when I first moved to AZ.) Plus, if the people at the shelter think like a lot of people here, who the heck would have him volunteer?

Also, if he were able to find some sort of volunteer opportunity, I doubt seriously it would go unnoticed and be done quietly. Someone would get wind of it and it would then be all over the media.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgive him is the wrong word. Change his mind about him is what I should have said.

Why? It's not like Vick can un-kill the dogs. He was already a bad guy before these actions, but seriously - killing dogs... What kind of person can kill multiple dogs in the manner he did?

I have no issue with keeping dogs away from Vick - ownership and/or volunteer work.

“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.” - Immanuel Kant (1724-1804)

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Why? It's not like Vick can un-kill the dogs. He was already a bad guy before these actions, but seriously - killing dogs... What kind of person can kill multiple dogs in the manner he did?

I have no issue with keeping dogs away from Vick - ownership and/or volunteer work.

“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.” - Immanuel Kant (1724-1804)

Perhaps he can also be judged by his treatment of people?? Anyone remember the chronicles of "Ron Mexico"

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps he can also be judged by his treatment of people?? Anyone remember the chronicles of "Ron Mexico"

Very true.

The full quote is: “He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.” - Immanuel Kant (1724-1804)

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Aint buying it at all.

I think this whole thing is a sham. Vick doesn't want a dog. His PR people want to confront this issue while Vick is doing so well (and he is) and let it get talked about until people don't want to talk about it any more. (some how that is a victory in his sad case) His PR staff is built of folks that worked with Monica Lewinski, seriously, (and others mostly politics) and she still sucks. Its all about marketing and money.

I think Vick probably hates dogs more than ever.

Seriously, if he lost some of his free life and NFL career to and by ending these dogs lives he considered so meaningless to the point where he would electrocute them for no reason except for his own twisted enjoyment, why would he want one now?

If you can defend him on this, you might consider getting help. That is how serial killers start out, with the lack of pure humanity and craving the sound of suffering. I don't condone dog fighting first of all but this is something else entirely. He never put dogs down humanely, you have to understand this, he wanted to see pain and death at his own hands.

Don't for one second say he is changed and think you know it. That is nothing but opinion and I gotz mine too.There are people in this thread that have been exposed to dog fighting and have never seen the things Vick (personally did himself) did to these animals (thank God). Vick used his millions, to create a death camp for dogs.

He tortured them Nazi style and he loved it, he would have felt something if he had a human heart while drowning, beating , hanging, I gotta go puke.

To justify what he did by a culture thing is false, nobody does the horrific things he did. Don't lie to your self, he is evil. While some folks fight dogs and other animals, nobody does what he did unless they are sick in the f***in head.

I aint dissin nobody here, yall gave your side, I gave mine. That's all I have to say about this. Much respect to everYbody but this POS. He used his money to kill dogs while I am scraping by, missing Cards games and a bunch of other stuff because I know the value of a life and a friend and what is right.

Vick = dog Hitler

Call me a hater for sure.
Look at your dog, and imagine some one beating, hanging, drowning, torturing, and electrocuting (all out of pleasure, not sport) them. Then tell me whats up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but if he does it quietly with "nothing for him to gain" then you'll never know about it, therefore you won't "unclench" because if you DO know about it & unclench, then he's gained at least one person's respect (for lack of a better word) and then it doesn't meet your criteria anymore...

/my head spins

So the philosophy would then be, it isn't worth doing unless it's worth it. If Vick needs to let his new actions be universally recognized, then I seriously doubt the sincerity of those actions. Probably the attention ***** gene kicking in. Hope he breaks his arm patting himself on the back.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aint buying it at all.

I think this whole thing is a sham. Vick doesn't want a dog. His PR people want to confront this issue while Vick is doing so well (and he is) and let it get talked about until people don't want to talk about it any more. (some how that is a victory in his sad case) His PR staff is built of folks that worked with Monica Lewinski, seriously, (and others mostly politics) and she still sucks. Its all about marketing and money.

I think Vick probably hates dogs more than ever.

Seriously, if he lost some of his free life and NFL career to and by ending these dogs lives he considered so meaningless to the point where he would electrocute them for no reason except for his own twisted enjoyment, why would he want one now?

If you can defend him on this, you might consider getting help. That is how serial killers start out, with the lack of pure humanity and craving the sound of suffering. I don't condone dog fighting first of all but this is something else entirely. He never put dogs down humanely, you have to understand this, he wanted to see pain and death at his own hands.

Don't for one second say he is changed and think you know it. That is nothing but opinion and I gotz mine too.There are people in this thread that have been exposed to dog fighting and have never seen the things Vick (personally did himself) did to these animals (thank God). Vick used his millions, to create a death camp for dogs.

He tortured them Nazi style and he loved it, he would have felt something if he had a human heart while drowning, beating , hanging, I gotta go puke.

To justify what he did by a culture thing is false, nobody does the horrific things he did. Don't lie to your self, he is evil. While some folks fight dogs and other animals, nobody does what he did unless they are sick in the f***in head.

I aint dissin nobody here, yall gave your side, I gave mine. That's all I have to say about this. Much respect to everYbody but this POS. He used his money to kill dogs while I am scraping by, missing Cards games and a bunch of other stuff because I know the value of a life and a friend and what is right.

Vick = dog Hitler

Call me a hater for sure.
Look at your dog, and imagine some one beating, hanging, drowning, torturing, and electrocuting (all out of pleasure, not sport) them. Then tell me whats up.

:thumbup:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you don't want to, that's fine. Seems disingenuous to come up with a scenario that we would , but then never know if it came true or not.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two things. You are okay with him volunteering to help many animals even though you don't think he should own a dog? I understand that there is more monitoring in that setting, but you are still alone with animals often. (I worked at a shelter when I first moved to AZ.) Plus, if the people at the shelter think like a lot of people here, who the heck would have him volunteer?

Also, if he were able to find some sort of volunteer opportunity, I doubt seriously it would go unnoticed and be done quietly. Someone would get wind of it and it would then be all over the media.

I don't know is the answer to the first. If it is PR [Which I believe to be] then I am utterly against it, if not then I hardly think he likely to get a chance for abuse in that setting.

As for the second question, frankly that isn't my problem so not sure I came if it is hard for him to achieve

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TOO GOOD TO PASS UP------

Michael Vick wants to own a dog--

Tell him to buy the Cardinals. :D

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TOO GOOD TO PASS UP------

Michael Vick wants to own a dog--

Tell him to buy the Cardinals. :D

He's bankrupt.

(Although he's able to run out and buy a $90,000 car for his fiancee...)

:rolleyes:

A fool and his money are soon parted...

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I say leave the dude alone and let him play football. He did his time, paid his price. Other dudes have killed humans and still play the game. Still others have been convicted of assault (usually on their wives) or other heinous crimes. Nobody talks about them, because it's only women being beaten down rather than some dog. **** can drive drunk and kill an 80 year old dude and play football and nobody says a word--I suppose had he killed a 15 year old girl it would have been different. They'd probably be asking why she was out so late. Still other mofos like Michael Irvin get busted with some coke and some hookers and gets suspended and goes to the hall of fame and is now loved by everyone. Freakin' convicts played during the strike shortened season and dudes ate it up.

Bunch of

Hypo

Crits.

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say leave the dude alone and let him play football. He did his time, paid his price. Other dudes have killed humans and still play the game. Still others have been convicted of assault (usually on their wives) or other heinous crimes. Nobody talks about them, because it's only women being beaten down rather than some dog. **** can drive drunk and kill an 80 year old dude and play football and nobody says a word--I suppose had he killed a 15 year old girl it would have been different. They'd probably be asking why she was out so late. Still other mofos like Michael Irvin get busted with some coke and some hookers and gets suspended and goes to the hall of fame and is now loved by everyone. Freakin' convicts played during the strike shortened season and dudes ate it up.

Bunch of

Hypo

Crits.

Clearly you're new here.

Leonard Little drove drunk and killed a woman...and got off too easy. Then later drove drunk again. He is a POS.

Donte Stallworth? Another killer by way of DUI. Another loser.

Big Ben - rapist piece of scum.

The list goes on...we're not easy on any of these creeps.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Clearly you're new here.

Leonard Little drove drunk and killed a woman...and got off too easy. Then later drove drunk again. He is a POS.

Donte Stallworth? Another killer by way of DUI. Another loser.

Big Ben - rapist piece of scum.

The list goes on...we're not easy on any of these creeps.

Being new doesn't effect my intelligence or my ability to reason.

Your supposed "empathy" doesn't address what I'm talking about. You offer examples and platitudes when I'm asking for neither. I was, and am, talking about the dichotomy of certain crimes, and how those crimes are viewed in the public, versus certain other crimes. In either instance, I still contend, without question, that Michael Vick deserves to be left alone, as he's not only admitted his crime, but spent time in jail for it.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And honestly, if there's no redemption, why let people out of jail at all, ever.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In either instance, I still contend, without question, that Michael Vick deserves to be left alone, as he's not only admitted his crime, but spent time in jail for it.

His punishment didn't end when he walked out of jail. As part of his federal punishment, a judge told Vick he may never own a dog again.

Vick opened up this can of worms himself with his statements about wanting to own a dog again. If he truly wants to be left alone - he needs to keep his trap shut when it comes to dogs.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Being new doesn't effect my intelligence or my ability to reason.

Your supposed "empathy" doesn't address what I'm talking about. You offer examples and platitudes when I'm asking for neither. I was, and am, talking about the dichotomy of certain crimes, and how those crimes are viewed in the public, versus certain other crimes. In either instance, I still contend, without question, that Michael Vick deserves to be left alone, as he's not only admitted his crime, but spent time in jail for it.

LOL, Vick and his PR staff released all of this to the media. He isn't even eligible to have a dog right now. Nobody brought this thread up out of their own hypothetical, this is what him and his "people" decided to rehash while Vick is playing so well.

The guy is playing great football, he is playing better than he ever has. If he gets MVP, it will be because of what he did on the field and I don't mind that much at all.

All I am saying is the thread is about Vick owning a dog, and its an issue brought on by his own camp. He did horrible things to dogs for his own pleasure, not just to fight them for sport. I don't think he should be allowed near dogs. That is my opinion and that is all it is, everybody has one. :)

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very coincidental that the new gentler version of Micky Vick is being portrayed by him and his handlers as he enters his free agency period? Probably not. If his management team can present the "reformed" Michael Vick to future employers, it is fair to assume that his new persona will get a better deal.

Maybe some day when a celebrity, athlete, politician, corporate icon gets the same punishment as the man on the street, the deterrent factor will have some effect. Until that happens, it is the public opinion that will have the most effect. The "punishments" bestowed on these privileged individuals has minimal effect on future behavior for the privileged. Some of these individuals are repeat offenders, so one might conclude that the original "punishment" was not strong enough to alter behavior. As repeat offenders, in denial, public scorn and ridicule works better than the sanctions handed down by the system.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe some day when a celebrity, athlete, politician, corporate icon gets the same punishment as the man on the street, the deterrent factor will have some effect. Until that happens, it is the public opinion that will have the most effect. The "punishments" bestowed on these privileged individuals has minimal effect on future behavior for the privileged. Some of these individuals are repeat offenders, so one might conclude that the original "punishment" was not strong enough to alter behavior. As repeat offenders, in denial, public scorn and ridicule works better than the sanctions handed down by the system.

:notworthy:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05