OT: Michael Vick wants to own a dog

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vick is not the only dogfighter , probably in your AZ neighborhood. I never liked it but knew it was happening, just like chicken fighting. many breedss were developed just for fighting other dogs( the Chow Chow) and bulls.

But no they get caught the don't get to have a dog in America, but it is plenty legal in other countries. lil girl fighting on the other hand is becoming more popular in the US, Ali and such.

:confused:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's a process of re-learning the value of an animal's life. Re-learning what it means to be compassionate and empathetic. I think dog-fighting is the symptom of a larger problem.

I know it'll be an unpopular opinion, but I'm not sure I'd have a problem with him owning a dog--especially if it was a cute, cuddly golden or something far removed from the pit bull breed (I think that'd help him to see dogs differently). He'd be under SUCH scrutiny that there's no way he could even get away with pulling on the leash too hard.

+1

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sequel:

Judge: What do you want now, Mr. Vick?

Vick (as played by Mulli) : Can I have a dog? I think it would important to my rehab process.

Judge: No.

Vicl (as played by Mulli): Thanks, Your Honor.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sequel:

Judge: What do you want now, Mr. Vick?

Vick (as played by Mulli) : Can I have a dog? I think it would important to my rehab process.

Judge: No.

Vicl (as played by Mulli): Thanks, Your Honor.
These movies suck. Poorly written, poorly acted (with the exception of DeNiro as the Judge) and low production quality.

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
I'm sure it's a process of re-learning the value of an animal's life. Re-learning what it means to be compassionate and empathetic. I think dog-fighting is the symptom of a larger problem.

I know it'll be an unpopular opinion, but I'm not sure I'd have a problem with him owning a dog--especially if it was a cute, cuddly golden or something far removed from the pit bull breed (I think that'd help him to see dogs differently). He'd be under SUCH scrutiny that there's no way he could even get away with pulling on the leash too hard.

+2

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vick is not the only dogfighter , probably in your AZ neighborhood. I never liked it but knew it was happening, just like chicken fighting. many breedss were developed just for fighting other dogs( the Chow Chow) and bulls.

But no they get caught the don't get to have a dog in America, but it is plenty legal in other countries. lil girl fighting on the other hand is becoming more popular in the US, Ali and such.

What exactly is your point? People should be allowed to force dogs to fight and they should be allowed to kill the ones that don't measure up because females can CHOOSE to fight? If that's your argument, you're welcome to it - I certainly want none of it.

As for Vicks continuing rehab, I'm sure he's talking about rehabbing his image. I thought he got off way too light anyway. I'd have had him in prison for the federal charges (lying and such) and after he got out I'd have had him working at the closest non-kill shelter for a few years.

However, I'm not the court system and it has ruled him rehabilitated. If the court allowed him to bring home a family pet I wouldn't really have a problem with it as long as it was a rescue. There are too many unwanted pets put to sleep each year for me to want to see an opportunity wasted.

Steve

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
The idea of banning someone from ever doing something again like owning a dog is idiotic.

How about just telling him not to fight them anymore?

What has his prior actions which he paid for by the way with time in the slammer got to do with him owning a dog?

IMO no one should own an animal in the first place, free them all, they're being enslaved.

Did you ask fluffy if you could own them?

What if they hear the call of the wild in their sleepy time and you're depriving them of that? If they could write a hate novel about you and how you've fattened them up and cut their balls off what would they say?

Arf arf.

Idiotic the entire concept going on here.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The idea of banning someone from ever doing something again like owning a dog is idiotic.

How about just telling him not to fight them anymore?

What has his prior actions which he paid for by the way with time in the slammer got to do with him owning a dog?

IMO no one should own an animal in the first place, free them all, they're being enslaved.

Did you ask fluffy if you could own them?

What if they hear the call of the wild in their sleepy time and you're depriving them of that? If they could write a hate novel about you and how you've fattened them up and cut their balls off what would they say?

Arf arf.

Idiotic the entire concept going on here.
That.
I just could not disagree more with most of your post. I did like the free them (dogs) and let them do their thing part. I aint trippin, every one is entitled to their own opinion, and I respect yours Conrad.
Just a little shocked. After everything he has done to dogs, I don't think he has or can have any appreciation for dogs, just cares about how his image looks. He could care less about dogs, he has proven that with a shovel. I can't stand the guy, and I hope he never gets a dog.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Using the child molester reference, wouldn't this be akin to a child molester who has served his time, become succesful again, and done everything by the book asking a judge to allow him to adopt a 7 year old. That it would really help him with his rehabilitation.

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
Vick is not the only dogfighter, there are probably some in your AZ neighborhood. I never liked it but knew it was happening, just like chicken fighting. Many breeds were developed just for fighting other dogs (like the the Chow), and for fighting bulls.

But no, when they get caught they don't get to have a dog in America, but it is plenty legal in other countries. lil girl fighting, (AKA female prizefighting) on the other hand is becoming more popular in the U.S., featuring boxers such as Laila Ali and such.

I maybe kinda think I ftfy. :shrug:

desertdawg, nice looking pooch, I love pits/staffys/bull breeds. Our 5 year old staffy passed away from a brain tumor suddenly last year and she is sorely missed.

As for Vick, IMO nothing could rehabilitate him better than learning to be a responsible dog owner who doesn't think his dog is a piece of meat. Monitor him and if Vick does anything improper, lock him up and throw away the key.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Using the child molester reference, wouldn't this be akin to a child molester who has served his time, become succesful again, and done everything by the book asking a judge to allow him to adopt a 7 year old. That it would really help him with his rehabilitation.
Word, drunk drivers that kill people shouldn't ever get to drive again either (and they kill on accident). Evil is the only word that describes what he has done and is capable of. EVIL.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't really think it's the same thing. There are a lot of countries and societies that allow animal fighting and while I find it abhorrent, obviously it's not universally held to be so.

Using the "child molester" logic just doesn't hold up IMO. It's like saying that rehabilitated jewel thieves shouldn't be allowed to buy jewelry.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Word, drunk drivers that kill people shouldn't ever get to drive again either (and they kill on accident). Evil is the only word that describes what he has done and is capable of. EVIL.

So do you ban them from driving for life because they've taken a life or because they drove drunk? If you say it's because they killed a person with a vehicle shouldn't we ban all drivers that have killed someone with a vehicle? If you say it's because they are drunk then shouldn't we ban all drivers that have driven drunk? It seems a little "day late, dollar short" to actually wait till a drunk driver kills someone before finally taking away their right to drive.

Steve

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I maybe kinda think I ftfy. :shrug:

desertdawg, nice looking pooch, I love pits/staffys/bull breeds. Our 5 year old staffy passed away from a brain tumor suddenly last year and she is sorely missed.

As for Vick, IMO nothing could rehabilitate him better than learning to be a responsible dog owner who doesn't think his dog is a piece of meat. Monitor him and if Vick does anything improper, lock him up and throw away the key.
Staffys rock man, we think Shyner might have a bit of that in her, (107 pounds:D) but we will never know. I just know I live in a crazy neighborhood and when I need to take that late night walk to the liquor store, (too drunk to drive) I take my ghetto pass named Shyner, and nobody ever comes near us, except for other pit lovers who want to check her out. :)

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So do you ban them from driving for life because they've taken a life or because they drove drunk? If you say it's because they killed a person with a vehicle shouldn't we ban all drivers that have killed someone with a vehicle? If you say it's because they are drunk then shouldn't we ban all drivers that have driven drunk? It seems a little "day late, dollar short" to actually wait till a drunk driver kills someone before finally taking away their right to drive.

Steve
Might have been a bad reference but that's a whole other thread brother. :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well lets hijack this mamma jamma right and start talkin about the women we've loved and the beer we still have.. :D

I got married really young so the women I've loved is pretty much the woman I love and she won't let me drink beer anymore. If she finds out I'm talking about her in a thread about dogs that might not end well for me.

Seriously though, don't you like the idea of letting him adopt a "rescue" dog. It's not just him - he has a family, and honestly, I can't imagine what life would have been like not growing up without a few dogs and cats.

Steve

Last edited:

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The woman I love won't let me drink beer anymore and if she finds out I'm talking about her in a thread about dogs that might not end well for me.

Seriously though, don't you like the idea of letting him adopt a "rescue" dog. It's not just him - he has a family, and honestly, I can't imagine what life would have been like not growing up without a few dogs and cats.

Steve
I didn't want him to stay in prison forever, he did his time, I get that.

He got back in the NFL, his crimes didn't have any thing to do with the NFL unless you consider where his funding came from. But I wasn't dead set about letting him back in, because he did his time. I get that too.

But letting this guy, (and I am resisting going into detail about all the atrocious things he did) the same guy who lied about everything while condemning dog fighting, Vick legally having a dog is some thing I WILL NEVER GET (sorry about the caps). If you want to save or even help save rescues I applaud you and I am down to help, unless your name is Vick. I don't believe a word he says, and I wouldn't trust him with a dog. But thats just me.

So here is to good women, good dogs, and good beer. I will drink one for you amigo.:cheers:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05