OT: Michael Vick wants to own a dog

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Using the "child molester" logic just doesn't hold up IMO. It's like saying that rehabilitated jewel thieves shouldn't be allowed to buy jewelry.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Stealing jewels pales in comparison to the brutality of Vick's crimes.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not just him - he has a family, and honestly, I can't imagine what life would have been like not growing up without a few dogs and cats.

Can you imagine what it would have been like growing up with a dad who beat to death and/or drown multiple dogs? :shrug:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're comparing apples and oranges. Stealing jewels pales in comparison to the brutality of Vick's crimes.

Except I'm not really comparing the crimes as much as I'm comparing the criminals, but mostly I'm just challenging the logic. I'm not trying to play semantics here either, the logic for treating Vick and child molesters the same just doesn't hold up. I think it becomes more obvious if you extend that logic to jewel thieves.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you imagine what it would have been like growing up with a dad who beat to death and/or drown multiple dogs? :shrug:

What's the relevance? Are you suggesting he can no longer be a father? I think it would be a good thing for that child to have a dog so she has a chance to learn what Michael Vick never did.

Steve

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the relevance? Are you suggesting he can no longer be a father? I think it would be a good thing for that child to have a dog so she has a chance to learn what Michael Vick never did.

I think his kid not having a dog is fine. Maybe he'll have to explain why to her when she asks.

Last edited:

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Steve
True that, its sad the kids probably won't have little Buster to play around with at Christmas. Blame Vick if it upsets you.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True that, its sad the kids probably won't have little Buster to play around with at Christmas. Blame Vick if it upsets you.

It doesn't upset me all that much. Somehow, I seem to have ended up in the Vick apologist corner and I don't like the territory.

Steve

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So is comparing Vick and his dogfighting to child molestation. Would there be the same outcry if Vick had a chicken-fighting ring? (use your imagination) Of course not. What about a bull fighting ring? Nope. Hell, that's a national sport for some cultures.

People treat dogs like humans because they let them sleep in their beds and lick their faces. They aren't human. I don't condone his actions, but he isn't akin to a child molester either.

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I'm sure it's a process of re-learning the value of an animal's life. Re-learning what it means to be compassionate and empathetic. I think dog-fighting is the symptom of a larger problem.

I know it'll be an unpopular opinion, but I'm not sure I'd have a problem with him owning a dog--especially if it was a cute, cuddly golden or something far removed from the pit bull breed (I think that'd help him to see dogs differently). He'd be under SUCH scrutiny that there's no way he could even get away with pulling on the leash too hard.

Pffft. Logic, and commons sense thinking...

Who let Pariah into this Vick bashing thread ? :D

I personally still wouldn't allow Vick to own a dog, but that is me being spiteful, I'll admit it.

But you have a definate point there. The right breed, situation, and every window licker on his block staring at him and his dog's every move it could actually be beneficial.

Vick has to realized tho, that him getting a dog will cause a national uproar. Whether warranted or not.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vick doesn't get it, never has and never will.

During his "rehab tour" remarks, he told his audience

He told the children the reports of the cruel treatment he inflicted on dogs, including hanging dogs and slamming dogs to the ground when they lost in the fighting ring, were true except for the electrocution. "That never happened," he said.

Ya think dead and tortured dogs have a preferred execution method, Michael? He is still the same warped minded self absorbed a hole he has long been.

I wouldn't let him have a goldfish. He would probably drown it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vick doesn't get it, never has and never will.

During his "rehab tour" remarks, he told his audience

Ya think dead and tortured dogs have a preferred execution method, Michael? He is still the same warped minded self absorbed a hole he has long been.

I wouldn't let him have a goldfish. He would probably drown it.

Admitting what he did and didn't do means he doesn't get it? :confused:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Admitting what he did and didn't do means he doesn't get it? :confused:
1) why do kids need to hear about the brutal treatment of the dogs

2) why won't he admit the electrocution, proven in a court of law right?

3) this is getting more tiresome than the Farve saga.

Who cares.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Who cares.

1) They don't unless he is answering a question directed to him.

2) I don't know

3) That's only because Favre is done; we think.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Who cares.

I really question the true purpose of exposing the kids, at the school, to him, and as a parent I would protest his rehab tour appearance and sure as all hell talk to my kid about why Vick doesn't deserve to be a guest at the school.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) They don't unless he is answering a question directed to him.

2) I don't know

3) That's only because Favre is done; we think.
1)my question really was why is this man speaking to kids?

2) me either

3) It would not be interesting if Favre was done or not.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was in response to This, so it seems to some it is news.

I understand what dogfighting is, you dont have to quote the news to tell me that he killed dogs.

At the same time, they were fighting dogs, not a family dog, different animal.

I see this whole situation different than most people and I am a dog lover at the same time, youll never understand my prospective so I will leave it at this.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1) why do kids need to hear about the brutal treatment of the dogs.

A lot of the kids he is talking to already know about dog fighting. Not to get into the whole "it's our culture" debate but I think he's talking at schools and to groups in areas where dog fighting occurs.

"They" are using Vick as an example to, hopefully, break the cycle of this being an acceptable thing. (To some people.)

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of the kids he is talking to already know about dog fighting. Not to get into the whole "it's our culture" debate but I think he's talking at schools and to groups in areas where dog fighting occurs.

"They" are using Vick as an example to, hopefully, break the cycle of this being an acceptable thing. (To some people.)
Good point.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sorta like Tyrone Biggins explaining to children why they shouldn't do drugs... :)

Got it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05