Pat Kirwan on Bentley and Brees

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
I'm not a huge Aikman fan either but it's hard to argue when he's a first ballot hall of famer. No matter if he's overrated or not, you don't get in on the 1st ballot unless you're pretty good.

I dunno. John Madden got in on the first ballot as a coach, and he wasn't all that good at doing that, either.

More than performance and talent goes in to who gets into the Hall of Fame and when. If it were only about how good you were, it wouldn't take Michael Irvin until the (at least) third ballot to get in.

Boltpower 21

Reaction score
As a Charger fan and a Brees fan, I'm sad to see Brees go (it appears it's heading that way) however it's a very mixed crowd as far as Charger fans go. I'd say almost 50/50 for Brees/Rivers. But I will say I'm excited to see if Rivers can live up to his potential, which most people say is higher than Brees' potential.

With the injury, I understand why the Chargers are trying to protect themselves by offering the contract they did. At the same time, I agree with many of you that they're nuts for letting a former Pro-Bowl quarterback in his prime go. (You just don't do things like that in the NFL) But it's turned mainly into a business issue. You just can't keep a QB who was selected fourth overall on the bench forever and trading Rivers and keeping Brees would really hurt the nice salary cap space San Diego has made for themselves to hopefully upgrade some key weak positions and possibly make another playoff run.

There are two places I'm hoping he'll wind up if he leaves and they would be Miami and Arizona. I think Miami would be a good fit for him, with some former players and former o-line coach already there, plus their team seems to be heading in the right direction. And as a Charger fan I've gotten used to rooting for the underdog so I was hoping he'd might make his way to Arizona and take you guys all the way. It'd be nicer if he went to Arizona since we wouldn't have to worry about him in future years getting in our way in the playoffs. However with Warner's new contract, I guess this is pretty much not going to happen anymore.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05