Per Schefter - Kerry Rhodes now a Card

DieHardCardFan

Dallas 2011
Reaction score
went on the jets boards and all they have to say is that he is a soft premadonna who can't tackle and that they want atogwe which is the reason why they let him go. I hope this is just a lot of trash talking because they lost him, but getting benched in the middle of the season isnt a good sign folks.

Come on ! Do you ever hve anything positive to say?

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Quick reaction by Whis and co. I think they realized that fans were about to jump ship and to fix it, they needed to make a big deal quick. I think Rhodes makes us a more consistent defense. Lets face it: all Rolle wanted to do on every play was get into the endzone. He didnt care about the fundamentals of being a safety.

If I really believed my team was conjuring deals to placate the fans, I'd be very worried. Sorry, football doesnt revolve around fickle fans.

Early

Registered
Reaction score
Rhodes is a better safety than Rolle, we avoided a historic overpaying and got a better player. That's a nice job. This offseason is so far one of the most impressive I have seen. Whisenhunt keeps making the correct choices. I gave the draft two years ago an A+ grade, I was thrilled with these players, i knew immediately that was a very special offseason. DRC, CC, Early, Hightower, Keith, Iwebema. Based on out FA decisions so far i would say that this offseason is A+ so far as well. One another great draft in april and I would be lost without any words. We are getting rid of overrated players, we save money and we upgrade the positions with cheaper options. That's how you build a long term succesful franchise.

Both Rhodes and Rolle are liability against the run, that is very clear. Rolle had 14 missed tackles and Kerry had 5. But also based on tape not barely stats.

In coverage, Rhodes is superior to Rolle, without any doubt. Just two years ago he was called the best coverage safety in all of football. His speciality is man coverage, and with Henderson arriving, this is one another sign on possible change in scheme for next year - More agressive man coverage which will suit Rhodes alot. Which by the way should make it easier for Toler to beat out McFadden for the RCB.

We need one more safety. The unit is still not set. Ware was great last season in the backup role, he suprised me alot. Rashad-Ware or Rashad and a new daftpick should make a hell of a depth at the position. Thinking on how good Rashad Johnson was playing in end of the year, we might get 3 good safeties in this unit. Adding Ware ora mid round safety to those 3 above, should make this one of the better units on this footballteam. I'm so excited about this.

Safeties look good, corners look good. I expect mid/late round safety and a 1st day corner, and the secondary looks to be the read deal. Amazing how far we have come from days with struggle in secondary to possible dominance. Step by step we have turned this arround.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rhodes has played at a Pro Bowl level at this position. He seemed to have issues with the Jets current regime...This trade was done with the approval of our new DB coach, who also happened to be his coordinator a few years ago....
Let's try and add some (conjectured) context:

Donnie Henderson was described as a Jets DC before Ryan became HC (not a position coach; a DC).

Assume you're Rhodes. Your main guy (who was there when they drafted you) is sent packing and a swaggering new head coach (complete with Daddy's infamous 46 defense) arrives on the scene. Without even seeing how well you'll fit into the system, he annoints you "the next Ed Reed."

No doubt a bunch of technique and strategy stuff was done differently than it was when Henderson was DC. Sometimes when that sort of thing happens, some veteran players will dig their heels in (i.e. "Why do I need to change what worked well for me in the past?)

I'm guessing this caused friction between Kerry and his new coaches.

And as a possible sidebar, part of the Ryan Mystique has always been a blustery, arrogant, take-no prisoners attitude. Within this environment, we have Rhodes aspiring to be an actor. That must have done wonders for Kerry within the new Jets lockerroom culture - his new nickname: "Hollywood" (fairly or unfairly suggesting that he spent more time looking at himself in the mirror than he did in the weight room).

I may be totally off base here, but if I'm not - it's not hard to imagine Kerry having a rocky time for most of last season trying to fit within the Ryan culture.

Hopefully things will smooth out under Wiz and Donnie - and Kerry will once again play at a Pro Bowl level.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Rhodes is a better safety than Rolle, we avoided a historic overpaying and got a better player. That's a nice job. This offseason is so far one of the most impressive I have seen. Whisenhunt keeps making the correct choices. I gave the draft two years ago an A+ grade, I was thrilled with these players, i knew immediately that was a very special offseason. DRC, CC, Early, Hightower, Keith, Iwebema. Based on out FA decisions so far i would say that this offseason is A+ so far as well. One another great draft in april and I would be lost without any words. We are getting rid of overrated players, we save money and we upgrade the positions with cheaper options. That's how you build a long term succesful franchise.

Both Rhodes and Rolle are liability against the run, that is very clear. Rolle had 14 missed tackles and Kerry had 5. But also based on tape not barely stats.

In coverage, Rhodes is superior to Rolle, without any doubt. Just two years ago he was called the best coverage safety in all of football. His speciality is man coverage, and with Henderson arriving, this is one another sign on possible change in scheme for next year - More agressive man coverage which will suit Rhodes alot. Which by the way should make it easier for Toler to beat out McFadden for the RCB.

We need one more safety. The unit is still not set. Ware was great last season in the backup role, he suprised me alot. Rashad-Ware or Rashad and a new daftpick should make a hell of a depth at the position. Thinking on how good Rashad Johnson was playing in end of the year, we might get 3 good safeties in this unit. Adding Ware ora mid round safety to those 3 above, should make this one of the better units on this footballteam. I'm so excited about this.

Safeties look good, corners look good. I expect mid/late round safety and a 1st day corner, and the secondary looks to be the read deal. Amazing how far we have come from days with struggle in secondary to possible dominance. Step by step we have turned this arround.

Good points as usual all around, Early. Imagine how improved our secondary would be if we get a couple of good, thick and quick edge rushers to team with our studs inside.

Early

Registered
Reaction score
Good points as usual all around, Early. Imagine how improved our secondary would be if we get a couple of good, thick and quick edge rushers to team with our studs inside.

That's a great point Mitch, a huge point. Remember how good Antonio Cromartie looked with a healthy Merriman and front 7 sack machine? Looked like the best corner in the game. Without Merriman and a great front 7? Most abused corner in the game by far. I refuse to think that Cromartie has transformed into another human being. A solid corner with good ballskills that is horrible or awsome, depending on the front 7. As much as we like to think about isolated units, that is D-Line, LBs and secondary, everything is connected offcourse and everything needs to be in chemistry.

Now we can't complain alot about Dockett and CC. They add more than most in NFL do at these positions in terms of disturbing the pocket. But we could get a bit more from the edge and heckuva alot more from the NT position. We need to push that center much much much more. Even when you don't get the sack, not even a pressure, just pushing him back as a warning, plays alot with the QB's inner clock and timing.

Robinson plays a very fine two gap technique and is smart as hell and can read the plays. We need to add a player that can play smart and disciplined like that, example given a Tyson Alualu. Robinson is just not able to bullrush enough, his is not strong enough in passing situations to disturb. It's a problem. Some teams get much more in passing downs from the NT.

On this NT position we could use a Cam Thomas or Alualu. These guys have the technique and reading ability to be able to be out there almost every down. In addition they give us strength and athleticism that we lack totally from Robinson when they pass. Im not impressed with Dan Williams and Mount Cody at all, i think they unpolished and are basing to much on their size/athelticism and they have too much to learn in NFl to produce early on. Their tape is full of inconsistency and they are simply not polished enough at this moment. You see them one play deal well with a double team, next play they get abused on single blocker because they use a wrong technique or read.

On edge, I will wait till I have scouted much more to say who I would like to see wearing Cardinal red. Obviously we could use some help, altough we have Cody Brown and Davis as well, hopefully one of them becomes the real deal.

Perfect offseason so far. Altough it hurt alot to see Pennington resign with Miami. There are still suprises left. QB and ILB and OLB, something will happen there.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's try and add some (conjectured) context:

Donnie Henderson was described as a Jets DC before Ryan became HC (not a position coach; a DC).

Assume you're Rhodes. Your main guy (who was there when they drafted you) is sent packing and a swaggering new head coach (complete with Daddy's infamous 46 defense) arrives on the scene. Without even seeing how well you'll fit into the system, he annoints you "the next Ed Reed."

No doubt a bunch of technique and strategy stuff was done differently than it was when Henderson was DC. Sometimes when that sort of thing happens, some veteran players will dig their heels in (i.e. "Why do I need to change what worked well for me in the past?)

I'm guessing this caused friction between Kerry and his new coaches.

And as a possible sidebar, part of the Ryan Mystique has always been a blustery, arrogant, take-no prisoners attitude. Within this environment, we have Rhodes aspiring to be an actor. That must have done wonders for Kerry within the new Jets lockerroom culture - his new nickname: "Hollywood" (fairly or unfairly suggesting that he spent more time looking at himself in the mirror than he did in the weight room).

I may be totally off base here, but if I'm not - it's not hard to imagine Kerry having a rocky time for most of last season trying to fit within the Ryan culture.

Hopefully things will smooth out under Wiz and Donnie - and Kerry will once again play at a Pro Bowl level.

That's pretty much exactly my take on it. Take away Ryan and add back in Henderson under Whis, and I think we are on the good side of that roller coaster.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On edge, I will wait till I have scouted much more to say who I would like to see wearing Cardinal red. Obviously we could use some help, altough we have Cody Brown and Davis as well, hopefully one of them becomes the real deal.

Davis was doing some really good things on the field before his injury. We have more to go on with him than we do with Brown. If both turn out to be good players, then, all of the sudden, our front seven is in good shape. That said, i don't count on that and do look for someone in free agency to help with the pass rush. Right now, I'd say Joey Porter is ideal for that role.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yep Rolle < Rhodes. I'll take Rhodes all day over Rolle, and he's signed for another 4 years....the last year of the contract probably cheaper than Rolle's first.

This to me is why we are turned around. Good teams, good organizations do THIS.

They let players walk who want too much, and they make something happen and replace them.

This move to get Kerry Rhodes to me signifies we aren't going to relinquish the NFC west crown without a major fight. Even then we'll be right there in subsequent years.

I couldn't believe it when I heard we traded for him.

Now to replace under-achieving mental midget Dansby (why I think he never reached the next level) and Kurt Warner.

We'll be fine at WR.

Whatever new cap is in place, we'll be in a strong position. But I'm also getting the feeling that the 'minimum cap' might be more important in this next CBA.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
If I really believed my team was conjuring deals to placate the fans, I'd be very worried. Sorry, football doesnt revolve around fickle fans.

Oh how I don't long for the days of Emmitt Smith signings.

The Dbacks did this three years ago with signing Eric Byrnes and it remains (along with Russ Ortiz) the worst move in franchise history.

Never ever make moves to placate the fans. There is a reason we are IP addresses and these guys are out in front and getting paid.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
That's a great point Mitch, a huge point. Remember how good Antonio Cromartie looked with a healthy Merriman and front 7 sack machine? Looked like the best corner in the game. Without Merriman and a great front 7? Most abused corner in the game by far. I refuse to think that Cromartie has transformed into another human being. A solid corner with good ballskills that is horrible or awsome, depending on the front 7. As much as we like to think about isolated units, that is D-Line, LBs and secondary, everything is connected offcourse and everything needs to be in chemistry.

Now we can't complain alot about Dockett and CC. They add more than most in NFL do at these positions in terms of disturbing the pocket. But we could get a bit more from the edge and heckuva alot more from the NT position. We need to push that center much much much more. Even when you don't get the sack, not even a pressure, just pushing him back as a warning, plays alot with the QB's inner clock and timing.

Robinson plays a very fine two gap technique and is smart as hell and can read the plays. We need to add a player that can play smart and disciplined like that, example given a Tyson Alualu. Robinson is just not able to bullrush enough, his is not strong enough in passing situations to disturb. It's a problem. Some teams get much more in passing downs from the NT.

On this NT position we could use a Cam Thomas or Alualu. These guys have the technique and reading ability to be able to be out there almost every down. In addition they give us strength and athleticism that we lack totally from Robinson when they pass. Im not impressed with Dan Williams and Mount Cody at all, i think they unpolished and are basing to much on their size/athelticism and they have too much to learn in NFl to produce early on. Their tape is full of inconsistency and they are simply not polished enough at this moment. You see them one play deal well with a double team, next play they get abused on single blocker because they use a wrong technique or read.

Perfect offseason so far. Altough it hurt alot to see Pennington resign with Miami. There are still suprises left. QB and ILB and OLB, something will happen there.

I could definitely go for Cam Thomas. He's up there on my list of NT's. However, Tyson Alualu is not a 3-4 NT in any way shape or form. He is a 3-4 DE in the mold of a 1 gap, penetrating DE much like DD has been asked to do. Or he is a 4-3 penetrator. He has the drive and the smarts to be a very special player, but he will not hold up at the point of attack as a NT. He's been a DE in Cal's system his whole career.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I stayed away a couple days and i'm not going to be Mr. Negativity. Those players are gone and i have moved on. I even scheduled an Antrell Rolle jersey burning ceremony in my back yard. But.......................

At least the Cards are trying. But, i have a hard time with all the people thinking Rhodes is better than Rolle. You have 1 guy who was benched and 1 guy who played in the pro bowl.Yet, the benched guy is hands down better :confused:. It's not like the Cards didn't think Rolle was worth the money because they offered up a very similar contract. I think this is more of a statement of how bad Rashard Johnson is.

Mike Lombardi has a couple tidbits on Rhodes, Rolle, and Dansby.

The trade of Kerry Rhodes to the Cards is interesting from the standpoint it pairs him with Adrian Wilson. Wilson is a heavy hitter and Rhodes is a light hitter, or no-hitter at all, and Rhodes lacks the range of Antrel Rolle. The Cards will inherit a seventh day of the league year $2-million roster bonus that was guaranteed for injury in Rhodes’ contract. Dumping Rhodes will save the Jets more than $4 million….

I know that Karlos Dansby had four suits packed when he took his first trip to Miami and expressed a desire to make all his visits. However, my sources tell me he didn’t have four teams to visit. In fact, I’m told the Dolphins were the only team with a sincere interes

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I stayed away a couple days and i'm not going to be Mr. Negativity. Those players are gone and i have moved on. I even scheduled an Antrell Rolle jersey burning ceremony in my back yard. But.......................

At least the Cards are trying. But, i have a hard time with all the people thinking Rhodes is better than Rolle. You have 1 guy who was benched and 1 guy who played in the pro bowl.Yet, the benched guy is hands down better :confused:. It's not like the Cards didn't think Rolle was worth the money because they offered up a very similar contract. I think this is more of a statement of how bad Rashard Johnson is.

Mike Lombardi has a couple tidbits on Rhodes, Rolle, and Dansby.

The trade of Kerry Rhodes to the Cards is interesting from the standpoint it pairs him with Adrian Wilson. Wilson is a heavy hitter and Rhodes is a light hitter, or no-hitter at all, and Rhodes lacks the range of Antrel Rolle. The Cards will inherit a seventh day of the league year $2-million roster bonus that was guaranteed for injury in Rhodes’ contract. Dumping Rhodes will save the Jets more than $4 million….

I know that Karlos Dansby had four suits packed when he took his first trip to Miami and expressed a desire to make all his visits. However, my sources tell me he didn’t have four teams to visit. In fact, I’m told the Dolphins were the only team with a sincere interes

I'm trying not be negative either, but realistically the Cardinals are going backwards this offseason SO FAR. But I expected it after Kurt's retirement.

The real key to the Cardinals future is stocking up in this year's draft, while signing enough veterans to make it thru 2010, getting the rookies some experience, and coming back strong in 2011.

Rhodes may or may not be the answer long-term. From Jets fan comments, he seems mediocre at run support and tackling. But at some point I expect the Cardinals to draft a safety/cornerback or two in this draft. If we know anything about Whis, it is that Rhodes won't be handed the starting safety position without earning it. That means drafting a safety to compete with him in the first three rounds IMO.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
I'm trying not be negative either, but realistically the Cardinals are going backwards this offseason SO FAR. But I expected it after Kurt's retirement.

The real key to the Cardinals future is stocking up in this year's draft, while signing enough veterans to make it thru 2010, getting the rookies some experience, and coming back strong in 2011.

Rhodes may or may not be the answer long-term. From Jets fan comments, he seems mediocre at run support and tackling. But at some point I expect the Cardinals to draft a safety/cornerback or two in this draft. If we know anything about Whis, it is that Rhodes won't be handed the starting safety position without earning it. That means drafting a safety to compete with him in the first three rounds IMO.
i think a guy who now has to jump into the Cards draft discussion is Taylor Mayes. I think he's being way underrated and would be happy with him. The one concern i have about Mayes is that i think i heard that he has only 1 INT the last 3 years. But, with his athletic and hitting ability, he can be made into a very good player with NFL coaching. DRC was kind of considered a freakish type talent,with question marks, when he came out and he has turned out great. I think Mayes will too.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
i think a guy who now has to jump into the Cards draft discussion is Taylor Mayes. I think he's being way underrated and would be happy with him. The one concern i have about Mayes is that i think i heard that he has only 1 INT the last 3 years. But, with his athletic and hitting ability, he can be made into a very good player with NFL coaching. DRC was kind of considered a freakish type talent,with question marks, when he came out and he has turned out great. I think Mayes will too.

I'm not sold on Mayes and the other two guys Thomas and Berry look to be long gone by the time the Cardinals pick. But if one of them falls to #18 or so, I'd gladly cough up one of the third-rounders to move up and grab them.

Early

Registered
Reaction score
You have 1 guy who was benched and 1 guy who played in the pro bowl.Yet, the benched guy is hands down better :confused:.

The pro bowl and which players get in or not, is arguably the biggest joke of this sport in its 100 year history. It's no measure of a players quality, and by far the reason to use it to compare two players. I don't think anyone in any FO puts any deal on pro bowl in their evaluation of talent to improve their team.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
The pro bowl and which players get in or not, is arguably the biggest joke of this sport in its 100 year history. It's no measure of a players quality, and by far the reason to use it to compare two players. I don't think anyone in any FO puts any deal on pro bowl in their evaluation of talent to improve their team.
to a point,i agree but you don't see a whole lot of scrubs(other than Vince Young) playing in the pro bowl. I know one thing, you don't see guys who were benched by their team playing in the pro bowl. Players aren't just benched for no reason. That raises a big flag for me.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
to a point,i agree but you don't see a whole lot of scrubs(other than Vince Young) playing in the pro bowl. I know one thing, you don't see guys who were benched by their team playing in the pro bowl. Players aren't just benched for no reason. That raises a big flag for me.

He got benched because he got into an argument with the Jets DB coach on his role in their D. He also did very well when he came back from the bench

Its doubtful he does that here because our new DB coach was his DC when he had his best years.

To go further Rhodes is considered the better cover man (which is what we need) and was voted to the All Pro team in 2006. All Pro>>>>>>>>>>>Pro Bowl.

Whis liked the potential of Rolle. So do I. I think he was overpaid but I like his potential. In terms of what they have done so far on the field, Rhodes is better PERIOD.

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
Not sure if posted:

On the bright side -- there is one? -- Wilson and Rhodes should combine for an excellent 1-2 punch at safety. I talked to Rhodes on Sunday night, and he said he'd already gotten an enthusiastic text-message from Wilson. "We've got the two best safeties playing together in the NFL,'' Rhodes said. "I can cover, he can cover. I can blitz, he can blitz. I can play free safety, he can play free safety. I can play strong, he can play strong. It's going to be a great combination.''

Early

Registered
Reaction score

None of the two are scrubs. I agree scrubs don't go to pro bowl, but that's the only thing you can extract from that, nothing else. Also, if you don't get in pro bowl, it doesn't mean you are a scrub either. Nnamdi wasn't a scrub not being elected earlier.

As for benching. He wasn't. It's not the regular bench where you don't play much and there is someone getting more playing time.

Rhodes still played just as much and much more than the guy "replacing" him. He was a vital part of their Defense.

So it's a motivational benching, just like the one Eagles ones did on McNabb to get him on right track. There is huge difference between those two types of "benching".

Simply put, Rhodes ability to mancover alot alot better than Rolle, will be usefull because that's what we will do more next year.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
He got benched because he got into an argument with the Jets DB coach on his role in their D. He also did very well when he came back from the bench

Its doubtful he does that here because our new DB coach was his DC when he had his best years.

To go further Rhodes is considered the better cover man (which is what we need) and was voted to the All Pro team in 2006. All Pro>>>>>>>>>>>Pro Bowl.

Whis liked the potential of Rolle. So do I. I think he was overpaid but I like his potential. In terms of what they have done so far on the field, Rhodes is better PERIOD.
you realize 2006 was 4 years ago. I think Berry may have been an all-pro that year.Edge had 1000 yards for the Cards. 4 years is an eternity in the NFL. I'm not sure i buy that he was benced for arguing with his coach. If he's supposedly that good, it would be like the Cards benching Boldin after arguing with Haley. Arguing with a coach doesn't get you benched. I know it's only 1 guys opinion, but the piece i pasted from Mike Lombardi's column says Rhodes lacks the range of Rolle. So, i'm not sold on him being better in coverage because you want your FS to have alot of range. He's more of a CF than a man defender. I hope Rhodes does play at an all pro level. I'm just skeptical that he's all that good and what people are making him out to be. But i've been wrong a zillion times before.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
you realize 2006 was 4 years ago. I think Berry may have been an all-pro that year.Edge had 1000 yards for the Cards. 4 years is an eternity in the NFL. I'm not sure i buy that he was benced for arguing with his coach. If he's supposedly that good, it would be like the Cards benching Boldin after arguing with Haley. Arguing with a coach doesn't get you benched. I know it's only 1 guys opinion, but the piece i pasted from Mike Lombardi's column says Rhodes lacks the range of Rolle. So, i'm not sold on him being better in coverage because you want your FS to have alot of range. He's more of a CF than a man defender. I hope Rhodes does play at an all pro level. I'm just skeptical that he's all that good and what people are making him out to be. But i've been wrong a zillion times before.

You don't buy that he was benched for arguing with one of his coaches, when one of the teams is run by one of the biggest a-holes in the entire NFL? I am not saying its solid gold fact, but it seems pretty possible to me.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I like Mike Lombardi, but like everyone his opinion is limited to what he's actually seen. I'm certain, that anyone on this board has seen a lot more of Antrell than him... and I'm also certain that Coach Henderson and Whiz have done a more in-depth evaluation of Rhodes.

He was benched, but dressed. Got into the game, and was in longer than his replacement. A week later, he was again the starter, and his end of season and playoff numbers were well above average.

The numbers of the past 5 years makes one wonder who should have been the first round, and who should have been the 4th round pick.