Phoenix Suns Coaching Search

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
How uber would a porter, silas, EJ, porter's assistants combo be?

I think it is really posible. EJ needs the coaching experience and he'd contribute a lot. Any new head coaches needs someone around who knows all the player's, their tendencies, strengths, weaknesses, and personalities. EJ could contribute that in addition to being a great shooting coach and analyst.

It sounds like Silas is open to coming back as an assistant and already lives here. If he opes to get a head coaching job again, it is much easier to get visibility if already coaching than going through the "didn't you used to be..."

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So who would be picking Terry Porter's assistants (not that I mind the names mentioned), the Suns FO or Porter? I'm sure Porter would not bicker because he wants to be a HC again. However, it does speak about what authority the new HC would have. If Kerr wants to micro manage the new HC he should just cough it up and be the new HC.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Porter makes the most sense IMO.

I wouldn't argue about Porter's selection. I liked him as a player and there are not too many quality candidates out there that might get the job done. At least he has been a HC.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Mainstreet,
So who would be picking Terry Porter's assistants (not that I mind the names mentioned), the Suns FO or Porter? I'm sure Porter would not bicker because he wants to be a HC again. However, it does speak about what authority the new HC would have.

That's the same thing that went through my mind. I think you can make a case for the Suns wanting a capable 'big man' coach and some assistants with lots experience - and Silas fits both of those, so I would be in favor of them proposing that to Porter and seeing if he has a better idea. Beyond that I'd like them to give him freedom in choosing his own assistants. If EJ wants to get into coaching he should have to convince Porter that he'd be a valuable member of his staff.

BTW, does anyone know if some of D'Antoni's assistants are interested in staying with the Suns? IIRC, Weber was here before D'Antoni so it could well be that he'd like to stay on. The final say should be up to Porter but he might be happy to have some continuity in the coaching staff. (Hopefully, the training staff will all stay!)

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
BTW, does anyone know if some of D'Antoni's assistants are interested in staying with the Suns? IIRC, Weber was here before D'Antoni so it could well be that he'd like to stay on. The final say should be up to Porter but he might be happy to have some continuity in the coaching staff. (Hopefully, the training staff will all stay!)

I read somwhere that Gentry and DanDan are going to NY, so I guess that means Phil Weber stays. The training staff was not hired by the coaches, I believe?? So I'm guessing they stay also.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
NBA.com http://www.nba.com/coachfile/phil_weber/index.html states that Weber has been with the Suns for 9 years.

College - North Carolina State
2007-08 marks Phil Weber's ninth season as an assistant coach with the Suns after joining the staff in September 1999, his first professional coaching position. He has on-the-floor and bench duties with a specialty in skill and player development.

Weber led the Suns' 2007 summer league entry at the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas. In the 2006 offseason, he worked with the USA Basketball Men's Senior National Team as they prepared for the 2006 FIBA Men's World Championships in Japan.
For four years prior to the Suns, he helped develop NBA players such as Shawn Marion, Baron Davis, Jalen Rose and Pat Garrity while in Los Angeles. Weber has partnered with former NBA player and Denver General Manager Kiki Vandeweghe to form an academy for NBA player development in Los Angeles.

Weber's coaching career began at the University of Florida in 1984 under Head Coach Norm Sloan. Weber was with the Gators for five seasons, helping the team to its first Southeastern Conference title in 1989 and to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament in 1987.

From there, he spent one year traveling around the country to observe 16 different major college programs before spending one season as an assistant coach at Chaminade University in Hawaii. He was on the coaching staff at Iona College from 1991-95.
A native of Northport, N.Y., Weber helped Long Island Lutheran High School to a state title before playing collegiately at North Carolina State for Sloan and Jimmy Valvano. Weber redshirted during the Wolfpack's 1982-83 NCAA title season.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I bet it is Terry Porter a lot of the sport radio stations are pointing in that direction, I would like the hire I think Terry Porter could do very well with this team with the talent we already have. I wouldn't mind seeing Kurt Rambis eaither though he is my 2nd choice

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I cannot argue with a Terry Porter selection. He has head coaching experience, did a near miraculous job as HC in his first year in Milwaukee, was a player and pg, is well-respected around the league and by players, has been on the Detroit coaching staff which has been one of the better coached teams in recent years.

As far as a resume, he seems a great choice to me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yet the methodical search goes on. If I recall correctly there was supposed to be a second round of interviews as well. Maybe Thibodeu is their man, hence the waiting. In so many ways the methodology reminds me of a college team looking for a coach but they do not even take this much time. I like Porter but because of the delay, I'm thinking it might be Thibodeau.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/116512

Suns talk with Silas, interview Jackson

Jerry Brown, Tribune
If the Suns settle on a coach long on NBA experience but short on head-coaching chops - be it Terry Porter, Elston Turner or Mark Jackson - Paul Silas would relish the opportunity to play the role of mentor as a lead assistant.

Of course, if the opportunity to be the head man of what he termed would be "the most talented team I would have ever had" should present itself, Silas would likely box out for position as he did when he was one of the league's best rebounders during his 16-year career.

Silas had a 10-minute phone conversation with Suns general manager Steve Kerr, who doesn't know Silas personally, and is hoping for more discussions this week.

"I don't want to rule anything out, but I would be comfortable as an assistant if that's where it goes," said Silas, who played for the Suns from 1970-74 and was an assistant coach under Paul Westphal from 1995-97. "I've coached some good teams, but I've never been in a position to reach that ultimate prize the way I did as a player (with Boston in 1974 and 1976 and Seattle in 1979). This Phoenix team has what it takes to get there."

But it still needs a coach. After interviewing Porter in Detroit on Thursday, Kerr and vice president of operations David Griffin flew across the country to Los Angeles for a sit-down with 17-year NBA point guard and current ABC analyst Mark Jackson.

"Both interviews went very well and both guys were very impressive," Kerr said. "They were well-prepared and made strong presentations."

Porter would figure to have the edge because of his coaching experience, both as an assistant in Sacramento and Detroit and two seasons as head coach in Milwaukee, where the Bucks might like rescind their decision to fire him after an injury-riddled 30-52 mark in 2004-05.

Kerr also has a strong relationship with Porter. They were teammates for two years in San Antonio, and Kerr wrote in a 2003 NBA preview for Yahoo.com after Porter was hired by the Bucks that "Terry Porter is one of the best people I've ever met in the league and I think he'll make a fine coach."

Reached in Detroit, Porter did not want to comment on his interview or his chances. "You guys know about the meeting, but that's all you know. Let's keep it that way for right now," he said.

Kerr also confirmed that he will sit down with Houston assistant Elston Turner on Wednesday. Turner has a lot of experience as an assistant and could be attractive not only because of his reputation as a defensive coach, but because the Rockets ran a hybrid of the Phoenix offense this year under Rick Adelman.

The Suns have also received permission to speak with Utah assistant coach Phil Johnson when the playoffs end for the Jazz. The 66-year-old Johnson has been an NBA coach for nearly four decades, beginning in 1971 as an assistant to Dick Motta with the Chicago Bulls. He has spent the last 20 years as Jerry Sloan's top assistant with the Jazz.

Johnson was a head coach in the NBA twice, but not since 1988. He was the NBA Coach of the Year in 1974-75 with the Kansas City-Omaha Kings.

Suns assistant GM Vinny Del Negro has not taken part in either of the first two coaching interviews, suggesting that he is a candidate for either head coach or assistant coach. Los Angeles Lakers assistant coach Kurt Rambis may also get a look, although rumors that he had surged to the top of the Suns' wish list were unfounded.

Last edited:

mack2323

Reaction score
If the Suns realy want to make a run for a title, they need to hire an experience coach. I agree wit Paul Silas. Throwing in an not so experience coach will only give the sun a scapegoat when we don't make the playoff next season. That means rebuilding, trading Shaq or Nash the following season. The priority of the Suns is still making money for the Sarver group owners.

sLapzsHaQ

I am a mushroomhead...
Reaction score
Trading Shaq or Nash? Why would you do that the following season? If you are rebuilding, tank the season, let their contracts expire.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering why Paul Silas hasn't been mentioned as a possibility for HC, he has some experience and would be a mentor for Amare.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Elston Turner was just on Gambo and Ash this afternoon. My first impression of him was horrible. Aside from making me fall asleep in the interview, he showed very little enthusiasm and spoke so slowly I almost cried. Hope he is saving his A game for the interview, because he just got an F+ from YJGS'd

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are likely at least two weeks away from hiring a HC. See link to article from Paul Coro at Arizona Central dated May 20th, 2008. Most of the article is about Jeff Hornacek being interviewed for a coaching position.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2008/05/20/20080520suns.html

There is a strong preference for someone who has been a head or assistant coach to take over a veteran team that is considered a title contender, although Suns Assistant General Manager Vinny Del Negro and Suns broadcast analyst Eddie Johnson will be considered. The Suns likely are at least two weeks from making a hire.

The wait for a HC is becoming very agonizing.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I am not "agonizing" over the delay. IMHO they've decided on Porter, so it only a matter of waiting until the Pistons are done before announcing it. At the same time, I think Silas will be his #2, but that won't be confirmed before the head coach job is confirmed.

This situation is a lot like waiting for Hill to sign. IMHO, There was a lot bigger chance of Hill going to Detroit than Porter not coming to Phoenix.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I really dont mind the 2 weeks. Yeah I'd love to show right now, but two weeks means that if it DOES turn out to be a bust hire, it gives us more ammo to bitch about when we get bounced again.

Is it wrong that my mind defaults to thoughts like that? I need a vacation.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how many Suns coaches besides Frank Johnson were true busts?

For example, Anige went 56-26 in 1997-98, 27-23 in strike shortened 1998-99 and was 13-7 early in the 1999-2000. Skiles took over and took the team to 53-29.

In Skiles first full season 2000-01, the team went 51-31. The team did not play well in 2001-02 after Kidd was traded for Marbury, but Skiles was 25-26. Frank Johnson finished out the season at 11-20.

FJ generated a fools gold season in 2002-03 when the Suns went 44-38, but went 8-13 in early 2003-04 when he was replaced by D'Antoni.

Other than the FJ fiasco, the Suns have had decent coaching. In many cases this has been undercut by bad personnel moves like the Marbury trade and the Hardaway trade. We may not get what we want, but I seriously doubt the Suns will end up with a coaching bust. It's just that we need a really really good one and that's harder to find.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how many Suns coaches besides Frank Johnson were true busts?

For example, Anige went 56-26 in 1997-98, 27-23 in strike shortened 1998-99 and was 13-7 early in the 1999-2000. Skiles took over and took the team to 53-29.

In Skiles first full season 2000-01, the team went 51-31. The team did not play well in 2001-02 after Kidd was traded for Marbury, but Skiles was 25-26. Frank Johnson finished out the season at 11-20.

FJ generated a fools gold season in 2002-03 when the Suns went 44-38, but went 8-13 in early 2003-04 when he was replaced by D'Antoni.

Other than the FJ fiasco, the Suns have had decent coaching. In many cases this has been undercut by bad personnel moves like the Marbury trade and the Hardaway trade. We may not get what we want, but I seriously doubt the Suns will end up with a coaching bust. It's just that we need a really really good one and that's harder to find.

Common, George. You know that the Marbury trades both in and out were good trades for us. And Penny's was a gamble gone bad. And Goog's was pure bad luck, triggered by Dice's diss.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05