Phoenix Suns Coaching Search

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After reading Paul Coro's blog today at ArizonaCentral, I can't really figure out why the Suns have not made a decision who will be HC. I can only think they are waiting for someone to make a decision as they have reportedly completed interviews.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/24941

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
I liked one of the user's comments in that article. Kerr talks about how not having experience as a head coach is a red flag even though he was hired as GM with no previous front office experience or coaching experience.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I liked one of the user's comments in that article. Kerr talks about how not having experience as a head coach is a red flag even though he was hired as GM with no previous front office experience or coaching experience.

Kerr did not, and probably would not have hired himself.

I am glad he is not using Sarver's model.

nowagimp

Reaction score

Yeah and we gave up 2 unconditional first round picks to get rid of an expiring contract. Steve Kerr is probably a very desirable trading partner in NBA circles. If Im a coach looking at the job, it would worry me that the GM is green in the gills.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So far I'm waiting for Kerr to make an intelligent move and surprise me. IMO until he proves himself, he is clueless in Phoenix. IMO, Sarver putting D'Antoni and Kerr in the GM chair without prior GM experience was not very smart.

nowagimp

Reaction score
So far I'm waiting for Kerr to make an intelligent move and surprise me. IMO until he proves himself, he is clueless in Phoenix. IMO, Sarver putting D'Antoni and Kerr in the GM chair without prior GM experience was not very smart.

Yeah but he(sarver) can sure make the $$$ in real estate! Ughhh!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know the Q & A stuff from Jerry Brown of the East Valley Tribune with Steve Kerr is relatively stale, but of course I had to read it again. The following Q & A made me think, how much sleep and thinking does Steve Kerr need to make a decision?

Q: So with all the interviews completed and the draft beckoning, are you within a week of picking a coach?

A: I think now it’s a matter of gathering our thoughts, collecting our thoughts and seeing where we are. I’ve found during this process that the best thing to do is interview somebody and then sleep on it and think about it. All these guys are really impressive or we wouldn’t be talking to them in the first place. And all of them come highly recommended. With all of them, you walk away and say, ‘Wow, that’s impressive.’ So then you need to settle down and say, ‘All right, let’s picture how this would work.’ You’re better off, I think, if you take a couple of days to let that simmer before you make any decisions, You have to think through all the possibilities and all the dynamics.”
http://rimshots.freedomblogging.com/2008/06/04/a-qa-with-steve-kerr-this-time-with-the-media/

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I know the Q & A stuff from Jerry Brown of the East Valley Tribune with Steve Kerr is relatively stale, but of course I had to read it again. The following Q & A made me think, how much sleep and thinking does Steve Kerr need to make a decision?

http://rimshots.freedomblogging.com/2008/06/04/a-qa-with-steve-kerr-this-time-with-the-media/

There are a lot of spins they could give on this. If they signed Porter early this week, it would appear that the whole process was sham. By waiting a few days, they can insist that Kerr playing with Porter made the process a foregone conclusion.

Then again, he may be weighing the pluses and minuses of guys with vastly different backgrounds, each of whom are giving new insights that Kerr did not have when starting the process.

Of course, it may be that he has absolutely no idea what he's doing and is stallig. I kinda hope that's not the case, but it is not out of the questions either.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of spins they could give on this. If they signed Porter early this week, it would appear that the whole process was sham. By waiting a few days, they can insist that Kerr playing with Porter made the process a foregone conclusion.

Then again, he may be weighing the pluses and minuses of guys with vastly different backgrounds, each of whom are giving new insights that Kerr did not have when starting the process.

Of course, it may be that he has absolutely no idea what he's doing and is stallig. I kinda hope that's not the case, but it is not out of the questions either.

It seems Porter is going to interview for the Detroit job. Maybe this is the hold up. I wonder if Kerr had moved earlier, he could have already locked Porter up as the Suns HC? See June 4th, 2008 article from Paul Coro of The Arizona Republic.

Porter also is interviewing to be head coach in Detroit, where he was the lead assistant the past two years, but fellow assistant Michael Curry is the favorite.

Kerr said he and Senior Vice President of Basketball Operations David Griffin want to take time to reflect before moving forward. No negotiations have begun. No rule precludes the Suns from making a hire during the NBA Finals.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2008/06/04/20080604suns0605.html

Last edited:

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I would make sense that Porter wait to to talk to Dumars. The Detroit papers say Curry is the frontrunner because Curry was Dumars's guy while Porter was picked by Saunders. But it seems reasonable that Porter would ask for a chance to talk and he may have discussed this scenerio even at the first interview.

nowagimp

Reaction score
I would make sense that Porter wait to to talk to Dumars. The Detroit papers say Curry is the frontrunner because Curry was Dumars's guy while Porter was picked by Saunders. But it seems reasonable that Porter would ask for a chance to talk and he may have discussed this scenerio even at the first interview.

The problem is that typically the favorite interviews last in business. This prevents the decision makers from forgetting the interview of the best candidate. But then, Im not sure Joe Dumars is a classic businessman.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05