Phoenix Suns Coaching Search

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coming from the rookie GM whose resume is shorter than my...

resume.

It's kind of scary when those interviewing coaching candidates are Kerr and Griffin.

See link to Paul Coro article dated May 27, 2008:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2008/05/27/20080527suns0527.html

Del Negro interviewed Thursday for the job with his office partners, Suns General Manager Steve Kerr and Suns Vice President of Basketball Operations David Griffin. Knowing that Kerr's "mentality is to go with someone experienced with a veteran team," Del Negro said he would be interested in starting his coaching career as an assistant.

"The interview went extremely well," Del Negro said. "I know the team as well, if not better than anybody. I appreciated their support in me to interview me. It was lot of fun in terms of preparation and the things I put into it to talk about my philosophies."

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
This is just first round interviews. I'd guess that in second round Van Arsdale and West will talk to the final candidates, especially if it turns out to be other than Porter.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
When asked why he wouldn't coach the Suns himself, Kerr named lack of experience as one of the reasons:

That obviously implies that he is looking to hire an experienced coach. Yet, of the seven or so candidates that have interviewed so far, only one has head coaching experience (Porter, only 2 years) and three (Jackson, Hornacek, Del Negro) have no coaching experience at all. Most of the other people supposedly considered are at best assistant coaches too.

FLEXIBILITY!!!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Laker assistant Brian Shaw seems to be getting some attention for the Suns HC position.
See article from Paul Coro at Arizona Central dated May 29, 2008

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2008/05/29/20080529suns0529.html

The Suns interviewed Shaw, a current Lakers assistant, last week after Los Angeles had eliminated Utah and before the San Antonio series. The (Riverside, Calif.) Press-Enterprise reported a week ago that Phoenix and Chicago interviewed Shaw, but the Suns' meeting went unconfirmed until this week.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Gambo and Ash just said Tyrone Corbin had a 2nd interview today. Elston Turner will have a 2nd interview tomorrow. The leading candidates are Corbin Porter and Turner.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Gambo and Ash just said Tyrone Corbin had a 2nd interview today. Elston Turner will have a 2nd interview tomorrow. The leading candidates are Corbin Porter and Turner.

I'm puzzled by Corbin's status. On paper, he does not seem to fit what the Suns were supposed to be looking for.

cly2tw

Reaction score
I'm puzzled by Corbin's status. On paper, he does not seem to fit what the Suns were supposed to be looking for.

The only fit seems to be Porter, who had head coaching experience. It'd be a good pick too. Just get it done and trade away LB, we'll win the title next year.:thumbup:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think whomever we get in here is not our long term solution anyway. Once Nash & Shaq are gone and we have to make a major overhaul, I predict we will have another coaching search underway. Just a gut feeling. I hope that doesn't happen because that means we probably continued to head south as a team. I just don't see how we can stop this slide into mediocrity without some major changes anyway. A new head coach with some defensive mentality is at least a start.

Mulletino

Reaction score
Get an ex-Spur.

Vinny Del Negro
Terry Porter
Avery Johnson
Steve Kerr

George Karl, that's if Denver lets him go

Doc Rivers is an ex Spur, but he has a gig with Boston

Di Antoni was an ex spur but couldn't pull it off.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I won't bet on the choice, but I'll be very disappointed if it isn't Porter.

Besides his overall resume, I have a particular interest in Porter - he has experience at developing point guards. This year he turned Stucky into a credible point guard, depsite Stucky coming from a small school as a combo. In Milwaukee he had good success with TJ Ford and when he got hurt, Mo Milliams. Since the Suns are not getting Rose (alas), their only hope is a trade or develop somebody.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Here is confirmation that Porter will be interviewed this week.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3420248

Pistons assistant Porter to interview again for Suns' coaching vacancy

Associated Press

Updated: May 31, 2008, 2:50 PM ET
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- Terry Porter is expected to be interviewed for a second time by the Phoenix Suns later this week.
Porter joined Detroit Pistons coaches and players at their practice facility on Saturday, the day after the Boston Celtics eliminated them in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals.

The Suns have been searching for a head coach since Mike D'Antoni resigned to lead the New York Knicks. Candidates include Porter, Houston Rockets assistant Elston Turner and former NBA player and TV analyst Mark Jackson.

Porter was Flip Saunders' lead assistant in Detroit the past two seasons. He led the Milwaukee Bucks' from 2003-05, helping them win 41 games and earn a spot in the 2004 playoffs. His coaching career started as a Sacramento Kings assistant in 2002.

Suns general manager Steve Kerr was one of Porter's teammates during his 17-year career with Portland, Minnesota, Miami and San Antonio.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

sLapzsHaQ

I am a mushroomhead...
Reaction score
I think Budenholzer is the perfect fit! Then get Shaw, Silas, Corbin, Porter as assistants..

cly2tw

Reaction score
I believe Kerr already decided that Porter is the coach, but will give Budenholzer the interview nevertheless as a friendly gesture to a friend. The league will take notice of the candidates Suns even considered.

Rockstar

Rookie
Reaction score
Saunders is officially out in Detroit. The Suns better move quick if they want Porter because I'm sure the Pistons will be looking to hire him as their next head coach

asuhoopnut

Veteran
Reaction score
Saunders is officially out in Detroit. The Suns better move quick if they want Porter because I'm sure the Pistons will be looking to hire him as their next head coach

How are you sure that Porter will be the Piston's next head coach? Everything I've read, says that Michael Curry is the top candidate for that job.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
How are you sure that Porter will be the Piston's next head coach? Everything I've read, says that Michael Curry is the top candidate for that job.
Bickley and MJ were talking about how the Bulls weren't given permission to speak to Michael Curry, but were given permission to speak to Terry Porter. Posters on another site from the Detriot area are also reporting they are hearing Curry is the man for the job there next season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Same here.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep thinking this coaching selection process must end this week for the good of the party, no that's the primaries. :D

Seriously, the SA assistant is to be interviewed today. Let's hire a coach this week for the good of the team. Does Porter hold the option whether he coaches the Suns or are the Suns are just waiting for him to decide and covering their bases. Maybe Porter is holding out hope for the Detroit job or maybe even the Chicago job.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Budenholzer was supposed to be interviewed today. Anyone hear any news?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05