Phoenix Suns players Marcus and Markieff Morris charged with counts of felony assault

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was really pushing hard for the Suns to go after Spencer Hawes until I found out about his choice of toilet paper. ;)

IMO, he would have been a perfect fit for the Suns. He would have been an improved version of Channing Frye.

Would have made sense to go after him rather than Anthony Tolliver or IT as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would have made sense to go after him rather than Anthony Tolliver or IT as well.

Agree totally.

Although I don't think signing IT was a bad choice. It seems the Suns FO never thought about the implications of having three NBA starting quality PGs on their roster.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Lmao, I'm laughing even harder than you at all this

Gortat is averaging 12 pts, and 9 rebounds on 56% shooting for Washington while helping his team destroy their 1st round opponent in the playoffs.

Meanwhile Lopez averaged 9 pts and 7 rebounds on 53% shooting for Portland who is getting wrecked by their 1st round opponent in the playoffs.

Speaking of playoffs lets compare their playoff numbers since "Lopez has outplayed him ever since".

Marcin Gortat in the playoffs: 16 pts, 10 rebounds on 70% shooting.

Robin Lopez in the playoffs: 5 pts, 5 rebounds on 60% shooting :biglaugh:

Oh and we all know your most favorite stat in the world is PER so I'll provide that as well Gortat with 18.28 PER for the season while Lopez with 16 PER for the season.

One guy plays against the Memphis Grizzlies the other against the Toronto Raptors.

You truly are one of a kind.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It seems the Suns FO never thought about the implications of having three NBA starting quality PGs on their roster.

That's not my interpretation. I think they signed Thomas in the belief that it would strengthen their negotiating position with Bledsoe. But then they caved in and gave Bledsoe a larger contract than they wanted to -- and larger than he was worth -- anyway. The problem wasn't with signing Thomas, but in abandoning a consistent strategy.

If they had gotten Bledsoe for the $48M/4yr that was allegedly their "best offer," he would be easier to move and the Suns would have had more options for breaking their PG trio apart. Instead, they were stuck with Bledsoe because he had the worst contract of the three, and so they had to make their decision based on financial considerations rather than basketball ones.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One guy plays against the Memphis Grizzlies the other against the Toronto Raptors.

Says the guy that insisted Jerry didn't recruit Nash and loved on Lopez like no other.

chickenhead

Reaction score
The Nash era CLEARLY is the best the Suns have been, if you can't see that then there is no point of arguing with you. The 92-95 team does not come close, final appearance or not.

I wouldn't argue the point if you hadn't put CLEARLY in all caps, because it's debatable at best. Here's what I think: the two eras to compare are actually 88/89 through 94/95 (7 seasons from the KJ trade to Barkley being traded away) and 04/05 through 09/10 (six seasons from the Nash signing to Amar'e departing). You could extend the latter until Nash's departure, but I don't think it makes a difference.

We don't have championships to examine, so we're stuck with playoffs as the most salient point of comparison. The earlier team won 10 playoff series, went to 3 Conference Finals, and won 2 games against the Bulls in the NBA Finals. They never missed the playoffs. The later team won 7 playoff series, went to 3 conference finals, didn't make the NBA Finals, and missed the playoffs once. The advantage the earlier team has in this comparison is one more season to work with, plus best-of-five first round series (although those are also easier to lose). But because of missing the playoffs in 2009, the later team still has only 36 playoff wins compared to the earlier team's 46 playoff wins.

I like my chances seeing how Colangelo won nothing.

Suns record under Sarver? .580 517-369
Suns record in previous 37 years? .542 1582-1338

Suns MVPs under Sarver in 10 years? 2
Suns MVPs in previous 37 years? 3

Suns allstars under Sarver ? 1.5 per year
Suns allstars in previous 37 years? 1.27 per year

Suns NBA 1st Teamers under Sarver? 4
previous 37 years? 9

I don't see the point in comparing Sarver's tenure to the entire Suns history if we are debating best eras. The whole history would include both the immediate expansion era and the drug scandal era. I don't know if you are counting playoff wins or not in the record, but if not, the earlier team's regular season winning % was .686, and the later team's was .673.

Beyond that, I don't agree that marginal differences in all-star and often-debated MVP voting can be considered a statistical determination of superiority. But even so, it's not a resounding win for the Nash era. The earlier team had five players that made the all-star game.

Chambers (3x reserve)
KJ (1x starter, 2x reserve)
Majerle (1x starter, 2x reserve)
Hornacek (1x reserve)
Barkley (2x starter)

Over 7 seasons, that's 1.714 all-stars per year (12 total), .571 starters per year (4 total), and 1.143 reserves per year (8 total).

The later team had four players that made the all-star game:

Stoudemire (2x starter, 3x reserve)
Nash (2x starter, 2x reserve)
Marion (3x reserve)
Shaq (1x reserve)

Over 6 seasons, that's 2.167 all-stars per year (13 total), .667 starters per year (4 total), and 1.500 reserves per year (9 total). There were no all-stars in 2011 and Nash was a reserve for the final time in 2012.

Considering all of this, I would still give the earlier team the edge. Soon enough we'll be nostalgic for both eras (I am already). I'm not going to suggest a Colangelo=good/Sarver=evil dialectic, but between the two, I put the blame for the earlier team's failure to win a title more on the players for crapping out in 1994 and 1995, while I put more of the latter team's failure on Sarver and management for failing to re-sign Joe Johnson and trading away necessary pieces. Although D'Antoni not developing a bench and a few seriously bad bounces didn't help...

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Yes, more excuses to hate on Gortat and love Lopez.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These two guys or so obviously lying about it. I don't know this guy. Riiiiiiight! At first, I was thinking....what would I do if some guy sent an inappropriate text to my mother. However, these guys compounded the issue by straight up lying to police?!?

This is just going to be another black eye. Do what you have to do to move on from these guys.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
These two guys or so obviously lying about it. I don't know this guy. Riiiiiiight! At first, I was thinking....what would I do if some guy sent an inappropriate text to my mother. However, these guys compounded the issue by straight up lying to police?!?

This is just going to be another black eye. Do what you have to do to move on from these guys.

There is no way to move on at this point. We're going to have to watch this play out first.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well. We do know that they are really, really, stupid liars. Did they think they would have gotten away with that whopper?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. History is full of really stupid lies told by people who should know better.

"I am not a crook."
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman."

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect this case will be plea bargained down to a class 1 misdemeanor with probation and public service as a weapon was not involved.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Morris twins were arraigned on assault charges today per a Paul Coro article at azcentral.

The Phoenix Suns players accused of assault entered pleas of not guilty during a routine initial court appearance Thursday morning in downtown Phoenix.

Marcus and Markieff Morris, 25, dressed in black suits, approached the bench side by side initially for their arraignments Thursday morning in Maricopa Country Superior Court.

The twins were scheduled to appear in court June 30 for their initial pre-trial conference.

The NBA Draft is on June 25, 2015. This could drag on awhile unless a plea bargain is reached or the charges are somehow dropped.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...ned-assault-charges-markieff-marcus/70943508/

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Police released surveillance video, pictures and a recorded phone conversation between the victim and the twin’s mother.

The brothers deny knowing Erik Hood.

In the conversation, Hood tells their mother about what happened outside the rec center on January 24th.

Pictures from the hospital that night show several scrapes and cuts.

Hood claims that he was knocked out and recently learned he will need back surgery. He also spoke about how much support he has given to the basketball stars over the years.

He told her that he still loves the boys even after what happened.

Hood though also told her “It doesn’t look good for them, because there were too many people who saw specific things in regards to the twins.”

http://www.abc15.com/sports/sports-...morris-plead-not-guilty-to-aggravated-assault

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure why Keef is being charged. All accounts show him as not being a participant.

Victim is 6'5" 245. Thats alot of big bodies involved in an altercation.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure why Keef is being charged. All accounts show him as not being a participant.

Victim is 6'5" 245. Thats alot of big bodies involved in an altercation.

So is this the way we separate the twins?

It looks like the victim may want a huge settlement if all is proven.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mook in jail, Keef on the outside?

I was going off your comment that Markieff may have not been a participant. The possibility one might go to jail and the other not. I agree with Phrazbit that it is unlikely although I would never rule it out. Personally, I'm thinking this case will be plea bargained.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was going off your comment that Markieff may have not been a participant. The possibility one might go to jail and the other not. I agree with Phrazbit that it is unlikely although I would never rule it out. Personally, I'm thinking this case will be plea bargained.

I agree. Plea bargained. Then on to a civil suit. This guy claimed to be a mentor for the twins during their AAU days. I wonder if he was trying to get a cut of their pie. They beat him up and now he is going to get it.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree. Plea bargained. Then on to a civil suit. This guy claimed to be a mentor for the twins during their AAU days. I wonder if he was trying to get a cut of their pie. They beat him up and now he is going to get it.

I think the story is that the guy was hitting on their mom, which pissed them off. Man how lame it is that this is what Suns fans have to talk about this time of year.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Quick questions, assume likeliest outcome is they get probation. Can they be dealt? Can their probation carry over to their next city?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick questions, assume likeliest outcome is they get probation. Can they be dealt? Can their probation carry over to their next city?

These are good questions. We shall see.

Probation and parole can be transferred to another state with the permission of the other state.