Phoenix Suns trade for James Jones

darkangel2050

Reaction score

Suns News | Aug. 25, 2005

You must be registered for see images attach
The Phoenix Suns today completed a sign-and-trade deal with Indiana that will net the team restricted free-agent James Jones, an athletic swingman, who led the Pacers in three-point accuracy last season. In return, Phoenix will send Indiana its own 2008 second round pick. Jones signed a four-year contract with the fourth year being a player option. Per club policy, financial terms of the contract were not disclosed.

“James Jones gives us another long, athletic wing player who has become a very good range shooter,” said Suns President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo. “His versatility on both ends of the floor is a perfect fit for our system.”

In only his second NBA season in 2004-05, Jones, 24, ranked 25th in the NBA in three-point field goal percentage (.398). The former Pacers’ second round pick (49th overall) in the 2003 NBA Draft averaged 4.9 points and 2.3 rebounds in 17.7 minutes in 75 games (24 starts) last season after logging 26 total minutes as a rookie in 2003-04.

The 6-8, 220-pound guard/forward took advantage of increased playing time by scoring in double figures seven times during a 12-game span in late November and early December when the Pacers were shorthanded due to suspensions to Ron Artest, Jermaine O’Neal and Stephen Jackson. He also recorded his first two 20-plus point games during the stretch, including a career-high 27-point outburst at Seattle on Nov. 28. In that game, Jones connected on a career-high six three-point field goals on nine attempts.

A successful performer on and off the court at the University of Miami (Fla.), Jones earned Big East All-Academic honors in each of his four collegiate seasons, and became the school’s first Verizon Academic All-American in 2002-03. As a senior, Jones averaged a career-high 16.9 points and led the Hurricanes in blocks (1.8) and rebounds (6.0) in 28 games.

http://www.insidehoops.com/jones-suns-082505.shtml

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Good signing, now the question is how much of the trade exception was used for him?

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
darkangel2050 said:

Suns News | Aug. 25, 2005

You must be registered for see images attach
The Phoenix Suns today completed a sign-and-trade deal with Indiana that will net the team restricted free-agent James Jones, an athletic swingman, who led the Pacers in three-point accuracy last season. In return, Phoenix will send Indiana its own 2008 second round pick. Jones signed a four-year contract with the fourth year being a player option. Per club policy, financial terms of the contract were not disclosed.

“James Jones gives us another long, athletic wing player who has become a very good range shooter,” said Suns President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo. “His versatility on both ends of the floor is a perfect fit for our system.”

In only his second NBA season in 2004-05, Jones, 24, ranked 25th in the NBA in three-point field goal percentage (.398). The former Pacers’ second round pick (49th overall) in the 2003 NBA Draft averaged 4.9 points and 2.3 rebounds in 17.7 minutes in 75 games (24 starts) last season after logging 26 total minutes as a rookie in 2003-04.

The 6-8, 220-pound guard/forward took advantage of increased playing time by scoring in double figures seven times during a 12-game span in late November and early December when the Pacers were shorthanded due to suspensions to Ron Artest, Jermaine O’Neal and Stephen Jackson. He also recorded his first two 20-plus point games during the stretch, including a career-high 27-point outburst at Seattle on Nov. 28. In that game, Jones connected on a career-high six three-point field goals on nine attempts.

A successful performer on and off the court at the University of Miami (Fla.), Jones earned Big East All-Academic honors in each of his four collegiate seasons, and became the school’s first Verizon Academic All-American in 2002-03. As a senior, Jones averaged a career-high 16.9 points and led the Hurricanes in blocks (1.8) and rebounds (6.0) in 28 games.

http://www.insidehoops.com/jones-suns-082505.shtml

A 2nd rounder. Woohooo. And not until 2008 draft, and it's our own, which will be a very late pick. The way I see it, with the ease it took to get him from Indy, I don't think they were even going to try and bring him back. We still have plenty of draft picks over the next 3 or 4 years anyways. It will be interesting to see what else the Suns are planning and to see exactly how much of the $6.1 mil TE that Indy got in return.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
jlove said:
A 1st round pick kinda sucks, however it is for the 2008 draft. We still have plenty of draft picks over the next 3 or 4 years anyways. It will be interesting to see what else the Suns are planning and to see exactly how much of the $6.1 mil TE that Indy got in return.

You did read that, didn't you? It's not a 1st round pick.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
and it only took a 2nd round pick! :thumbup:

Maybe we're finally learning to value our 1st round picks now that we've found out those can unmine hidden gems like Amare.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I heard the deal is starting around 2 Million.

Don't know for sure how accurate that is.

Nice job Phoenix. I really like how this team is shaping up considering what we lost.

PrimeTime

Rookie
Reaction score
Damn good signing.:thumbup: Looks like Gambo and Ash had it right again. Looking forward to watching the kid grow. He's the backup 3 right now, but can play the 2, 3, and 4. We have him for 3 years at least. Maybe by then he will be good enough to be the starting 2 or 3 if they want to replace Marian that year.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm confused. I thought the trade exception wasn't available until Joe Johnson passed his physical in Atlanta. Did that finally happen and we just not hear about it?

Looks like Gambo and Ash had it right again.

LOL, good one. They're right like 20% of the time, at the most.

fordronken

Reaction score
elindholm said:

They're actually getting disturbingly accurate lately. They also totally nailed the JJ sign and trade too. It's getting to the point that when they report something, I kind of expect it to happen.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It's getting to the point that when they report something, I kind of expect it to happen.

Can I borrow your toaster?

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
elindholm said:
I'm confused. I thought the trade exception wasn't available until Joe Johnson passed his physical in Atlanta. Did that finally happen and we just not hear about it?

Lately, though, they've been right as far as the Suns are concerned 100% of the time. Am I in the Twilight Zone? :eek:

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What is up with all of these "team policies" of not reporting the terms of the agreement. It happened with Atlanta as well when they signed Zaza, 24 hours later we knew what he amount was. And if it were team policy we never would have know that the Hawks were offering the max to JJ.

Could it be possible that we did not have to use any of the trade execption and only sent them a second rounder. We traded a second round pick for McCarty's 1.75M contract last year. As some mentioned before picks have no dollar value.

footnote
Sounds like this kid is a high character person, All Academic honors all 4 years at Miami, that would be hard to do on that campus.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
We traded a second round pick for McCarty's 1.75M contract last year.

That was enabled by the Cabarkapa exception.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
elindholm said:
We traded a second round pick for McCarty's 1.75M contract last year.

That was enabled by the Cabarkapa exception.

I can always rely on some here to find the facts, thanks for refreshing my memory.

Any which way we did not trade the execption away, it is just created by the transaction, right. By doing this deal Indiana now has a trade execption.

Last edited:

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
elindholm said:

to dovetail off this, i'm hoping that they used the jake voskuhl exception for the deal. in other words, that diaw will eat into the jj exception and jones comes of $1.9M. that would be the best possible thing at this point because it would keep the maximum portion of the exception available.

it may have gone down too, because if its the jj exception, it can't be used as of now, and it certainly wouldn't be announced on suns.com

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
fordronken said:
They're actually getting disturbingly accurate lately. They also totally nailed the JJ sign and trade too. It's getting to the point that when they report something, I kind of expect it to happen.

Last year they were so bad it was almost as if when they predicted something, you could count on it being wrong. Lately it is almost like are actually doing real reporting with legitimate sources. Amazing. :shrug:

Getting Jones should help to offset the widely expressed fears that the Suns were getting older, slower, and giving up their heavy use of the three pointer. When comparing Jones to Q, the only parts of Q's game that are stronger is rebounding and post up. Most evidence suggests that Jones is a better defender than Q and has a higher three point percentage dispite having fewer open looks.

BTW, Q's advantage on the boards is not as big as it appears. Q played a lot more minutes per game than Jones. In the playoffs, Q had .1356 rebounds per mintue to .1273 per mintue for Jones. Considering the Pacers had 3 fewer rebounders per game than the Suns (a function of their slow down style), their playoff rebounding numbers are extremely close.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Thanks for the head to head comparison to Q, I just a lot of people fell in love with Q for no reason. I think this kid is going to break out in the Suns system as well.

As you pointed out Q may have had advantage in posting up shooting guards but not the small forwards that were guarding him. If there is any posting up at all in the offense at least Jones will be able to do it against SFs.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
coloradosun said:
Thanks for the head to head comparison to Q, I just a lot of people fell in love with Q for no reason.

There may not have been basketball reasons, but I know I fell in love with him for the personality and attitude he brought.

I was watching a special on the Suns a few weeks ago on NBA Inside Stuff. They were talking about how Q was the glue of the lockerroom, and always kept things light in there.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
"In return, Phoenix will send Indiana its own 2008 second round pick. "

Did this not even cost us a pick? Looks like we held the rights to Indiana's pick . . . possibly from Golden State in the Zark trade . . .

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Dan H said:
"In return, Phoenix will send Indiana its own 2008 second round pick. "

Did this not even cost us a pick? Looks like we held the rights to Indiana's pick . . . possibly from Golden State in the Zark trade . . .

The way I read it we are sending our own 2008 second rounder.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
Thanks for the head to head comparison to Q, I just a lot of people fell in love with Q for no reason. I think this kid is going to break out in the Suns system as well.

As you pointed out Q may have had advantage in posting up shooting guards but not the small forwards that were guarding him. If there is any posting up at all in the offense at least Jones will be able to do it against SFs.

Q brought intangibles during the regular season. Not only that, he was nails at putting the dagger into an opponent.

Anybody who scoffs at what Q did last year, simply did not watch this team close enough.

I can't really add any more than that, because that should cover it.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
sly fly said:
Q brought intangibles during the regular season. Not only that, he was nails at putting the dagger into an opponent.

Anybody who scoffs at what Q did last year, simply did not watch this team close enough.

I can't really add any more than that, because that should cover it.

I think Q's value to the team was the most significant early in the season. He added swagger to a team that was young and needed the psychological boost. The fact that he could get really hot certainly meant teams were forced to worry about him.

However, as the season went on, I felt Q's poor shot selection became a bigger and bigger problem. His ego became a problem as it made it harder to make the tactical decisions the Suns should have made such as giving a lot more minutes to JJax.

Before the trade, I started a threat about what I felt Q needed to work on over this summer. My biggest concern was that he doesn't seem to realize how much he needs to work on improving his game. So his ego, which was a huge plus gradually becomes a minus. I think this year's group will be a better integrated "team", but it won't be as entertaining.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake