Pittsburgh/Arizona Draft Trade Rumor...

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Trade Reggie Wells and a 3rd for Faneca. That way we lose Well's salary(good for cap space) and Wells as a player(good for the OL).That way we keep our #5 pick and can take Thomas, Peterson, or trade down and get another 2nd rounder to go with Levi Brown.

Slacker

Rookie
Reaction score
[SIZE=-1]Alan Faneca. Position: G Height: 6-5 Weight: 307 Born: 12/07/1976[/SIZE]

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Can someone please get it right? When you get it right, can you tell me how long Joe T's arms really are?

32 1/2

For comparison Levi Brown is only 33 1/8

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I can't imagine the Steelers giving up Faneca (an All Pro) and their first and second round picks, especially when they will have to fill his spot.

They already have his spot filled in case he leaves when they drafted Kemo. They have been grooming him from day one.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
So the short arms thing is hooey?

When compared to Brown yes. But when compared to other OT prospects of the first round over the last few years they both have short arms.

Ferguson last year has 35 1/2 long arms. Thats probably average for other elite OT in the NFL right now.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Yeah, but who says Faneca is a malcontent? He wants to play for the Cardinals and he's a perennial All-Pro with a Super Bowl ring.

Pete Kendall cannot even hold Faneca's jock...

Playing devils advocate here.

Does he want to play for the Cardinals, or does he want to play for Grimm. I think that could be a big difference IMO.

What happens when Grimm leaves for another job next year or the year after.

Young Card

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not sure that Grimm will get a job next season. Cowher, Schottenheimer, Ryan and Rivera are big names who will be jockying for a limited number of jobs.

Twist18

Registered
Reaction score
Doesnt Fishers contract expire as well? If Grimm fixes the OL and the Cards make the playoffs, he will get an NFL HC gig.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Faneca is looking for his last big pay day. Holding out on a valid contract is bush league. He's not the future, he's the past. Haven't we learned anything from Duval Love and Ross?

Apologies to Jeff Gollin, who would love to have Faneca, I disagree. We are in a three year rebuild, whether you, all of you, recognize it or not.

Sheesh.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Faneca is looking for his last big pay day. Holding out on a valid contract is bush league. He's not the future, he's the past. Haven't we learned anything from Duval Love and Ross?

Apologies to Jeff Gollin, who would love to have Faneca, I disagree. We are in a three year rebuild, whether you, all of you, recognize it or not.

Sheesh.

No such thing as a 3 year rebuild in todays NFL anymore Skkorp. Especially considering the talent that is clearly evident on this team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sheesh.

well, this just clinches it for me. We're going to the playoffs. Skkorp, god bless ya, but you never have any clue what you're talking in regards to either the Cards or the Suns. Basically, whenever I see Skkorp make a comment about either team before the year starts, it's safe to say you go the other way and you got good odds!

Twist18

Registered
Reaction score

Sheesh.

Quick, Someone run out and get Skorp a pitcher of Koolaid! ;)

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'd love this deal!!!

Trade the 15 again and drop a little bit to get another 2nd or 3rd, yet stay in the 1st.

They can get Staley late in the 1st and now have a pro bowl guard. Sign me up for this deal.

Scot1

Registered
Reaction score
I guess I'd do this trade, or Asudude's combo, IF we made sure to take Staley. Faneca, now a malcontent or not, would be a good model for our young players who now have no quality model, I guess. Staley does sound good, a workable, mobile pass defender from early on. After him, I perceive a consensus among raters that there's a big drop-off in talent.

The big worry is that Staley's sure not a road grader. Is there any way Whiz et al would draft him?

I just don't trust a new coach who comes in, looks at a legendarily bad line, and says we're going to have a reliable run game without major personnel upgrades. It seems like coaches are prone to vastly overrate their ability to silk purses into Hogs.

But if they'd be wise, it would sure be good to get Spencer or Alexander with an added pick, in addition to Faneca.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
You have got to be kidding. The 5th overall is worth 1,700, the 15th is worth 1,050. That is a 650 point difference (equal to a late first) and they want a 2nd on top of that?

You guys are willing to give up a 1st and 2nd for Faneca?

For a 30 year old, 6 time Pro Bowler who's still got about 6-7 good years left in him and is the anchor of one of the best offensive lines in the NFL? Hell yes I would. You're essentially giving up a second round pick to get one of the best Offensive Linemen in the league and to move down 10 spots where you can fill holes elsewhere.

That being said, two questions..

1). What ideal reason would the Steelers have to move up to five? Which players would make them want to make this kind of shakeup? Both of the QBs are useless to Pittsburgh.. Calvin Johnson will be gone. Peterson? Perhaps, if they're looking to go for the thunder to Willie Parker's lightning, but this deal would be contingent on Cleveland passing on him, and make no mistake about it, if the Browns get wind that their division rival's looking to move up to get a guy they're looking at anyhow?? Gaines Adams? Perhaps, but at this point if DE is what they're looking for, they're better off standing pat and taking Jamaal Anderson, who's looking more likely to fall that far anyhow.

Really, I see no plausable reason for the Steelers to want to move up... Not at the expense of the anchor of their offensive line.

2). I know this question has already been posed, but I'll pose it again for arguements sake. Faneca's a guard. This team's guard heavy. Under this scenario, the assumption is Faneca and Lutui would be the starting guards, while Wells moves to tackle and Joe Staley assumably would become the pick of the Cardinals. What becomes of Milford Brown, who was one of the more consistent pieces on the Offensive Line last year?

I know it's getting close to the draft, and we're all getting antsy, but some of these rumors being thrown around are questionable at best, completely unlikely at worst.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
So the short arms thing is hooey?

Yes it is hooey. I read an article about the short arm measurement on Thomas and,supposedly there are different ways an arm length is determined. One way they measure is shoulder to finger tip which is kind of dumb because if a guy has longer fingers then his arm is considered longer even if the length from shoulder to wrist is the same. Linemen never,or shouldn't, have their hand extended outward where there fingers would come into play so that way of measuring is moot.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
If we did do the trade down to 15, there's a decent chance that Alan Branch is there. His stock seems to be down a bit and he's a guy the Cards have mentioned earlier. We could end up with Faneca, Branch, Charles Johnson, David Harris,Daymeion Hughes(or BPA) as a first day haul. That's not too shabby. We'd upgrade the OL,get the 2 DL Graves said he wanted, get a LB that Graves said he wanted, and add a young CB.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand two philosophies that are running in this thread.

#1. Trading away a top 5 pick for a 30 something big $$$$ LT who the Steelers find expendable is not how one goes about building a 5 win team. It is done through the draft IMHO. That 5 pick in the draft is worth a bunch of picks in a picks for pick trade.

#2. There seems to be a desire to grab players whose draft stock is falling. I would think grabbing players who are on the rise makes a lot more sense.

Just me and my opinions.

BTW, for comparison's sake, the Dolphins have used this plan of grabbing 30 something DLs & OLs and they get worse every year. Their plan now is to just accumulate draft picks and cut the older guys.

Last edited:

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Colbert said trades are possible, even one involving Faneca

April 24
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: "Colbert was asked specifically if that could include Faneca, a six-time Pro Bowl guard who is unhappy with the financial terms left on the final year of his contract. There have been rumors the Cardinals would like to acquire Faneca from the Steelers and reunite him with offensive line coach Russ Grimm and new Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt."

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I don't understand two philosophies that are running in this thread.

#1. Trading away a top 5 pick for a 30 something big $$$$ LT who the Steelers find expendable is not how one goes about building a 5 win team. It is done through the draft IMHO. That 5 pick in the draft is worth a bunch of picks in a picks for pick trade.

I don't think the Steelers deal will be pulled off. We'll wait till next yr. on Fanica and IF we need him we'll offer him something.

I think that Brown (who played well last yr. and is younger - but not up to Faneca's level) and Lutui are both pretty serviceable guys there. I am concerned about the b/u's and so are the Cards with moving Wells back there. I could see us moving a 3rd/5th this yr. and another pick next yr. (a 4th-5th) to aquire Faneca this yr. , but the #5 can not be oart if that deal.

We'll get better offers and probobly just make that pick because we should have either Thomas or AP or both to choose from. There should be some SICK offers to trade down and we should weigh them all before proceeding. Really , as has been stated we shouldn't go any lower than 12. 15 is stretching the talent again and you'd have to be happy with Puluzney or Staley or Nelson there to get the most out of it.

The elite linemen won't fall that far, IMO. They'd also have to throw us a 2nd for sure. I still wouldn't take it for AP. And you'd have to weigh what your giving up by passing on Thomas and taking Staley there.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05