Players Who You Believed Used Illegal Performance Enhancing Substances?

Charles V

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting article that seems to fit well in this thread.

Suspicions sank some D-Backs:Steroid whispers quietly sent players packing

Ken Kendrick, managing general partner of the Arizona Diamondbacks, called on Tuesday to bawl me out. And he did. Then he handed me some news.

Among other things, Kendrick told me the team has "quietly" gotten rid of players that it suspected were using steroids. He spoke candidly against what he called the "whispers" of steroid use that have pestered Diamondbacks star Luis Gonzalez. And he said the Diamondbacks are working on a code of conduct that goes above and beyond the standards that already exist in Major League Baseball. He even took a shot at baseball's biggest suspected cheater, Barry Bonds, and the federal authorities who are hounding him.

Kendrick telephoned to say he didn't like a column I wrote for Tuesday's Arizona Republic about the team's handling of former player and steroid user Jason Grimsley. . . .

BTW, I am not a huge fan of EJ Montini...but it was an interesting article nonetheless.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
A couple of more from way back....Jack Clark and Robin Yount. Clark was a skinny outfielder for SF and then boom he is a Hulk when moved to 1st base for STL and Yount overnight became a Goliath and started pounding homers. I really think that Steroids have been with the game since the 50's. Pitchers use just as much as other position players. There just weren't as many guys willing to use because of the side effects back in the day. I could really make a list of who I would suspect it would be 75% of sports. I do not believe the Griffey talk about him not being juiced either. He had rapid size growth over the last 4 seasons. He has almost gotten a pass by baseball but he is suspect IMO. This kind of scandal made it bad for the good guys of baseball, George Brett, Will Clark, etc...guys that could hit and play a position naturally and were leaders on there teams. They never got huge in size and could hit a curveball. Steriods doesn't make players skills better it just helps them sustain over the long season.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I heard Jude LaCava on the radio this morning talking about how minor leaguers are now into taking their kids' ADD medication. Supposedly helps their concentration at the plate. Where does it end??

Charles V

Registered
Reaction score
They are probably taking Ritalin, which is a stimulant compound that acts much like amphetamines.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
What’s next? They can’t drink coffee because is makes them more alert?

Rats

Reaction score
Seems every generation has there uppers, Willie Mays had a concoction that he called "Jungle Juice" that was like liquid aemphetimine, there is always some substance that can be used to make them more alert and it seems that there is no end to it.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The most obvious guy is Djaughe. Getting to 20,000+ posts with a late start just can't be natural. Obvious doper IMO.

Edit: Sorry, I thought this thread was about posters and not players.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
No comments on Kendrick throwing Gonzo under the bus? I agree with him in a way, but it was a bad move and something that definitely should not be said regardless of the player's stature.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
No comments on Kendrick throwing Gonzo under the bus? I agree with him in a way, but it was a bad move and something that definitely should not be said regardless of the player's stature.
He spoke candidly against what he called the "whispers" of steroid use that have pestered Diamondbacks star Luis Gonzalez.
Maybe Im reading this incorrectly, but how is he throwing Gonzo under the bus if he is speaking against the whispers? :shrug:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Maybe Im reading this incorrectly, but how is he throwing Gonzo under the bus if he is speaking against the whispers? :shrug:

Kendrick brought the name up, not EJ Montini..... It's just sort of an unwritten rule in business for people in leadership roles not to discuss specific individuals by name when dealing with controversy.

Homer Simpson

All Star
Reaction score
Rats said:
A couple of more from way back....Jack Clark and Robin Yount. Clark was a skinny outfielder for SF and then boom he is a Hulk when moved to 1st base for STL and Yount overnight became a Goliath and started pounding homers. I really think that Steroids have been with the game since the 50's. Pitchers use just as much as other position players. There just weren't as many guys willing to use because of the side effects back in the day. I could really make a list of who I would suspect it would be 75% of sports. I do not believe the Griffey talk about him not being juiced either. He had rapid size growth over the last 4 seasons. He has almost gotten a pass by baseball but he is suspect IMO. This kind of scandal made it bad for the good guys of baseball, George Brett, Will Clark, etc...guys that could hit and play a position naturally and were leaders on there teams. They never got huge in size and could hit a curveball. Steriods doesn't make players skills better it just helps them sustain over the long season.

If this is true, and I'm not sure if it is, though I do know steroids have been around in general since the 1930's, what about another pretty high-rpofile name?

Roger Maris.

Think about it. Kind of a journey man, traded by two teams in his first three years, with a career high of 28 homers when he arrived in New York prior to the 1960 season. Granted, it had only been three seasons, but then he suddenly hits 39, 61 and 33 homers in the next three years -- 133 of his 275 career homers (48.3%) in three years.

Then he dropped off quite suddenly -- not only in homers, but games played. He only once played more than 125 games in a season after 1962, when he played 141 in 1964, with 28 homers.

Plus, he quickly lost his hair during the 1961 season. Many have attributed it to the pressure of chasing Ruth, however, accelerated hair loss is one of the most common side effects of anabolic steroid use.

And, he died at a fairly young age (51). Although he did die of lymphatic cancer, and I honestly have no idea if steroids could contribute to that.

I have no idea if he did do them or not. And, I never will know for sure. However, I find it funny that so many people act like the players of yesteryear were immune from this type of behavior.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Kendrick brought the name up, not EJ Montini..... It's just sort of an unwritten rule in business for people in leadership roles not to discuss specific individuals by name when dealing with controversy.
Well, not necessarily, it doesnt say that Kendrick was the one that brought up Gonzo. Montini could have asked about it and Kendrick responded (which is still a bit odd).

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend and I at work were discussing this subject at length today.. pretty much speculating about some other players in the past 20-years who probably took steroids.... Here's my list of those:

Albert Belle
Rondell White
Ruben Sierra
Kevin Foulke
Rob Dibble
Eric Davis (hard for me to believe, but something seems to add up)
Randall Simon
Rob Fick
Jeff Weaver
Rico Brogna

Those are the 10-names I'll toss out there for now.......

Charles V

Registered
Reaction score

Kendrick made a call to plead his case to Gambo and Ash. Basically he blamed EJ Montini for twisting what he said.

Having read many of Montini's articles, there is no doubt in my mind that Montini twisted what Kendrick said to serve his own agenda.

That said, what on earth did Kendrick expect? Did Kendrick just get called up from Tucson? Is he a rookie? How could Kendrick get suckered into saying anything to EJ Montini, much less discussing the face of the D-Backs in the same breath as steroids? I am sure Kendrick is a very savvy businessman, but he got played. He has nobody to blame but himself. Not Montini, not the sensational media, only himself.

Had he left Tuesdays article ( Paying the cheater would be ‘moral thing’ to do ) alone, it would have died a lonely death. Now, EJ’s got legs and is running all over the D-Backs.

Nice job rook.

Charles V

Registered
Reaction score
Ruben Sierra?

He was my favorite ball player growing up. The truth hurts though. That Rangers team had a lot of notorious names. Raphael Palmiero, Juan Gonzales, Ruben Sierra, Julio Franco. That must have been an interesting clubhouse.

A 40+ old Nolan Ryan was on that team too. He threw no-hitters 6 and 7 with that Ranger team. I would probably be struck down by my ghost of Ranger-Fan-Past if I suspected Ryan as a juicer...but it doesnt seem so far fetched these days.

Another name that comes to mind is Kevin Mitchell.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Charles V said:
Ruben Sierra?
Ruben Sierra had several lingering injuries for quite a few years and then suddenly out of nowhere in '01 generates 21 HRs and 67 RBI in only 94 games w/the Rangers.... On that squad there's Palmeiro, Gabe Kapler, Pudge, and Chad Curtis (another player I suspect to have roided-up in some point in his career).... Compare that to his output the following year when he went to the Mariners and only managed 13 HRs and 60 RBI in 122 games....He actually had 75 more ABs in '02 compared to '01....

In '04, he did bounce back w/the Yankees in with solid #s, but one can link him to Jason Giambi there..... Then. since he's made constant trips to the DL including this season with a torn bicep suffered on a mere swing.. Just adds further to the suspicions......

Also... Sierra had relative success with the Athletics from '92-'95 and we all know who both played there during that time... so... its beyond just coincidence........

Just link anyone from the late 90s to earlier in this decade w/the Rangers, also perhaps players with the mid 90s Padres.... its shocking really... Most of those produced beyond belief when they played for those teams, but never approached those numbers before or since..and quite a few have battled through constant injuries......

Other names are (I know some are unknown) Bubba Trammell, Greg Vaughn, and perhaps Rob Deer wouldnt shock me too much either, but he of course was the 90s Dave Kingman, so cant honestly say..... This speculation game is fun......

Last edited:

Charles V

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the Ruben Sierra suspicions, for all all reasons you mentioned. Plus the fact that he managed to gain 45 pounds (of muscle) during his playing career doesnt help his case.

You must be registered for see images attach

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Homer Simpson said:
If this is true, and I'm not sure if it is, though I do know steroids have been around in general since the 1930's, what about another pretty high-rpofile name?

Roger Maris.

Think about it. Kind of a journey man, traded by two teams in his first three years, with a career high of 28 homers when he arrived in New York prior to the 1960 season. Granted, it had only been three seasons, but then he suddenly hits 39, 61 and 33 homers in the next three years -- 133 of his 275 career homers (48.3%) in three years.

Then he dropped off quite suddenly -- not only in homers, but games played. He only once played more than 125 games in a season after 1962, when he played 141 in 1964, with 28 homers.

Plus, he quickly lost his hair during the 1961 season. Many have attributed it to the pressure of chasing Ruth, however, accelerated hair loss is one of the most common side effects of anabolic steroid use.

And, he died at a fairly young age (51). Although he did die of lymphatic cancer, and I honestly have no idea if steroids could contribute to that.

I have no idea if he did do them or not. And, I never will know for sure. However, I find it funny that so many people act like the players of yesteryear were immune from this type of behavior.

See this article on the subject;

http://www.athomeplate.com/recordsandsteroids.shtml

Rats

Reaction score
Homer Simpson said:

Roger Maris.

This is very well stated and I feel has merit. Wallys article does cast a light on these suspicions. Baseball from yester year is not immune to scrutiny in my opinion. What will really be damning is if it is proven that a major league team not just individuals on there own, administered a steroid program. If trainers or doctors paid by a major league team were giving steroids to players either in the minors or in the Latin leagues then there would be a smoking gun that baseball couldn't avoid. There is already significant proof from the Dominican leagues and from Mexican leagues that this was going on. Several groups tried to get congress to address this in the 90's but were rebuffed. I think that this is the thing the owners do not want to come out. It would hurt the game more than any individuals use of performance enhancers.

Homer Simpson

All Star
Reaction score
Rats said:
This is very well stated and I feel has merit. Wallys article does cast a light on these suspicions. Baseball from yester year is not immune to scrutiny in my opinion. What will really be damning is if it is proven that a major league team not just individuals on there own, administered a steroid program. If trainers or doctors paid by a major league team were giving steroids to players either in the minors or in the Latin leagues then there would be a smoking gun that baseball couldn't avoid. There is already significant proof from the Dominican leagues and from Mexican leagues that this was going on. Several groups tried to get congress to address this in the 90's but were rebuffed. I think that this is the thing the owners do not want to come out. It would hurt the game more than any individuals use of performance enhancers.

Best part of the article is where he says that "maybe all records belong to Babe."

In a way, they do. Babe Ruth was the most unique player to ever play the game. No matter who passes him numbers wise, his legacy will never die. Part of me wonders if this isn't the thing people are really worried about.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05