Playoffs: Suns @ Nuggets Saturday game thread 4-29-2023- Game 1

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then again, it can be of little importance. One year NAU hosted Florida Atlantic in the FCS Playoffs - we thought going from Sea Level to 7,000' would wear them down - nope!
Hmm, I'm not sure why you're adding that? I'm not trying to say we can't win because of the altitude, it just decreases our chances. If our team steadily increases their water intake for several days prior to the game and arrives in Denver the morning of the game, the impact can be almost trivial. But no matter what, heavy minutes by our stars will take a greater toll on them than usual, both for that game and for their recovery afterwards.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few days to adjust and the advantage goes away. All the Suns have to do is arrive a few days early. Again. This is way overrated. It matters more in the regular season where there is no time to acclimate. There are lots of ways to combat this.

BTW. Phoenix is the 4th highest NBA city by altitude. Denver, Salt Lake, and OKC, are the only cities higher.
Not from what I've read. And it matters more in a playoff series because there is a cumulative effect on athletes playing in elevation 4,000 ft higher than they are used to. And while you begin acclimating 1 to 3 days after you go up, it takes 9 days to fully acclimate going from Phoenix to Denver.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can someone please provide an analysis of our starting 5 v. their starting 5, our bench v. their bench, who will guard who, etc.?

This is above my paygrade.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not from what I've read. And it matters more in a playoff series because there is a cumulative effect on athletes playing in elevation 4,000 ft higher than they are used to. And while you begin acclimating 1 to 3 days after you go up, it takes 9 days to fully acclimate going from Phoenix to Denver.
It's appears to be overblown. This article and a couple others I read seem to indicate that even though there is some sort of advantage to playing at that altitude it appears to be offset or possibly even overridden by other factors. Sounds like all things being equal it could give teams an edge. However, how often are all things going to be equal between teams?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A few days to adjust and the advantage goes away. All the Suns have to do is arrive a few days early. Again. This is way overrated. It matters more in the regular season where there is no time to acclimate. There are lots of ways to combat this.

BTW. Phoenix is the 4th highest NBA city by altitude. Denver, Salt Lake, and OKC, are the only cities higher.

Are you really going to try and claim the difference between Phoenix and Denver isn't huge simply because Phoenix is #4? I don't really get what your point is there as the difference between #4 and #24 is roughly 1000 feet while Phoenix to Denver is over 4000.

Here's a graph I found...
You must be registered for see images attach
and

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's appears to be overblown. This article and a couple others I read seem to indicate that even though there is some sort of advantage to playing at that altitude it appears to be offset or possibly even overridden by other factors. Sounds like all things being equal it could give teams an edge. However, how often are all things going to be equal between teams?

I don't see how it's "overblown"? I haven't seen anyone saying we have no chance up there or anything close to that. As long as we hydrate before and during and watch their minutes, I worry more about recovery than I do the game itself as it takes quite a bit longer for an athlete (on the road) to recover when they play at that altitude.

I wasn't an elite athlete like those guys but I've played a few basketball tournaments in Utah and the day after the first game I always felt like I was on my first day of recovery after a heavy weight session. I'd end up playing through it but no way was I at my best in the subsequent games.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see how it's "overblown"? I haven't seen anyone saying we have no chance up there or anything close to that. As long as we hydrate before and during and watch their minutes, I worry more about recovery than I do the game itself as it takes quite a bit longer for an athlete (on the road) to recover when they play at that altitude.

I wasn't an elite athlete like those guys but I've played a few basketball tournaments in Utah and the day after the first game I always felt like I was on my first day of recovery after a heavy weight session. I'd end up playing through it but no way was I at my best in the subsequent games.
When I say overblown, I mean I hear the media and fans bring it up all the time like it's a major factor. It doesn't appear to be. I am just saying in the articles including the one I posted it seems to indicate that other factors can easily nullify or override the altitude factor. In other words, I put it in the same category that teams have to face when they come her to play in our heat or dry climate (which I read can take 10-14 days to fully acclimate).

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The Suns showed in the last series that they aren't very good.
I'd say not in rhythm, but aren't very good? They still closed out the Clips in 5, winning 4 in a row. Defense has been concerning, but when Book/Durant play like superstars they will be hard to beat.
Even if Payne can contribute, the roster goes only eight deep.
Sad but true. Most of the bench has been unplayable.
This board underrates the Nuggets for some reason, as if it's a fluke that they finished with the best record in the conference.
Philly just finished with the best record in the Eastern conference. We all remember who ended up with the best record in the 21-22 season, and what that meant. Denver is one of the better teams in the west, but I wouldn't consider it much of an upset if the Suns won the series.
Denver has been the best in the West all year, they're healthy, and they know each other as a team.
Their depth/experience is definitely a huge plus. We're going to rely on Book/Durant at minimum, and need Ayton/Paul to make some major contributions to win.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I'm not sure why you're adding that? I'm not trying to say we can't win because of the altitude, it just decreases our chances. If our team steadily increases their water intake for several days prior to the game and arrives in Denver the morning of the game, the impact can be almost trivial. But no matter what, heavy minutes by our stars will take a greater toll on them than usual, both for that game and for their recovery afterwards.
This is like how we heard for almost 20 years the Cardinals had a big advantage at SDS because of the heat. They obviously didn't. Or that Green Bay is almost unbeatable in extreme cold. False. In the modern era, their record is worse in extreme cold than their averages at higher temperatures.

All time record at home:

Denver Nuggets .652
Phoenix Suns .656
Portland Blazers .664

Those are the only three teams I looked at. Portland's elevation is '50. Higher elevation is not a huge advantage for Denver. Never has been, never will be.

It's only playing basketball for a couple of hours. These guys have done that forever, every day almost. Many days, a lot more than 2 hours. This is why I don't worry about minutes that much either. The worst thing about more minutes is, statisically, you are more likely to get injured. Not because of more minutes, but because of more opportunity. If the player is so exhausted, it's first of all on the PLAYER to take themselves out. Then on the coach.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Boston loses tonight our game will start at 7, if they win I bet it starts at 430 or 5.
Oh yeah.. that makes sense. They’re scheduled for 430 for a Game 7.

I’d think Celtics/Sixers would get that slot on Saturday if they win… unless they give the Celtics more rest days between series.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are you really going to try and claim the difference between Phoenix and Denver isn't huge simply because Phoenix is #4? I don't really get what your point is there as the difference between #4 and #24 is roughly 1000 feet while Phoenix to Denver is over 4000.

Here's a graph I found...
You must be registered for see images attach
and
No. I was looking at that chart as I typed. Just noting a bit of trivia.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is like how we heard for almost 20 years the Cardinals had a big advantage at SDS because of the heat. They obviously didn't. Or that Green Bay is almost unbeatable in extreme cold. False. In the modern era, their record is worse in extreme cold than their averages at higher temperatures.

All time record at home:

Denver Nuggets .652
Phoenix Suns .656
Portland Blazers .664

Those are the only three teams I looked at. Portland's elevation is '50. Higher elevation is not a huge advantage for Denver. Never has been, never will be.

It's only playing basketball for a couple of hours. These guys have done that forever, every day almost. Many days, a lot more than 2 hours. This is why I don't worry about minutes that much either. The worst thing about more minutes is, statisically, you are more likely to get injured. Not because of more minutes, but because of more opportunity. If the player is so exhausted, it's first of all on the PLAYER to take themselves out. Then on the coach.
When you're talking "big advantage" or "unbeatable", I agree. But to really analyze Denver's home court advantage you'd have to compare their home record to their road record relative to other team's home vs away. It's not a big enough difference to determine the outcome every night, it's just an advantage.

Playing on your home court is an advantage, it doesn't make you invincible. Same with playing in front of your fans or not having to travel. Just like going East to play an early game puts you at a disadvantage. None of those advantages or disadvantages determine the outcome by themselves.