Please throw Mark Grace out of the booth!

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's the worst we've had here in the D'Baks short history.

Mark uses every tired cliche, defends lazy play, impatient batters, and bad managerial moves and generally offers nothing of note. He's terrible.

Bring back Traber, please.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I'd rather listen to Grace than Ken 'Digger' Phelps ANY day. And Grace is better than Rod Allen, at least. While we're raiding the Sidewinders, let's get their announcers - they are very good.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Traber was piss poor his first year....its take a guy a while to get his groove.

Grace should really think about stopping his nasty smoking habit, his voices gets really gravelly by the 7th inning.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
I'd rather listen to Grace than Ken 'Digger' Phelps ANY day. And Grace is better than Rod Allen, at least. While we're raiding the Sidewinders, let's get their announcers - they are very good.

I thought Rod Allen was steadily getting better and better personally.

I think I am with Skkorp on this one. I am unimpressed with Grace in the booth. Haven't listened to Phelps enough to have formed an opinion yet but what little I have heard I have no real complaints.

NavyVet

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Skkorp...I thought it was just me...I was going to post something about this earlier, but hesitated.

Grace does not have an announcers voice, it's strained and almost to the point of being grating.

He sounds like a tour guide pointing things out...listen to his voice inflection, close your eyes, and imagine you're in a museum.

His comments/jokes are inane...wasn't this guy passed off as the funniest guy in baseball?

Traber was a buffoon, but he was fun, sometimes interesting, and his enthusiasm for this team was unrivaled.

By the way, lost in all this is just how much my wife and I hate Thom Brennaman. Nepotism at its worst.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
I did tolerate Ken Phelps the 1st game, however, it seems that all he does is constantly overstate the obvious and over-uses "nicknames" a little too excessively for my taste... For example...He will refer to Burnitz as "Bernie" repeatedly in the same sentence and Sparks as "Sparky" etc... It even seems that Schulte tries to tune him out for the most part....

I don't know if this is his first experience as an announcer, so I am willing to give him a benefit of the doubt before I really reserve any complete judegment on him...

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

Mark uses every tired cliche, defends lazy play, impatient batters, and bad managerial moves and generally offers nothing of note. He's terrible.

Thank you. I totally agree. It took me a while to get used to Traber, but after awhile, he really grows on you. Traber and Brenneman were developing a nice repoire as well. Steve Lyons and Grace are just boring.

moviebuff316

Registered
Reaction score

I enjoy Grace in the booth. He is funny. I like Traber also... D-backs have had pretty decent commentators throughout their brief history (Tom,Grace,Allen,Traber,Lyons,The Govna).. The only commentators I can't stand are Joe Sr (Old Stories bother me) and one day when Jeff Mund (The announcer) was on the radio. I can manage to listen to Joe Senior though..

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jeff Mund is the worst, he is stiff and reminds me of the guy on "movie phone"

I guess I don't mind Grace, but his "he was a former teamate of mine" stories are getting old already and it hasn't been a week yet.

Brandon_Webb

Registered
Reaction score
Ugh

And there's tony womack RJ's former teammate...Gonzo's former teammate....my former teammate...nice guy

*repeat every at bat and for reggie sanders*

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I agree

Grace is not off to a good start. I would rather listen to Traber or Joe Sr. anyday.

We can only hope he (Grace) will improve like Traber did. If he doesn't I wonder if the mgmt will have the balls to get rid of him. Grace is a good interview but so far he is not a guy I want to listen to for three hours.

Djaughe

Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

lol...grace does kinda suck in the booth. I've been kinda waitin for something insightful too (not about how the rookies listen to his stories) - but hey I'm willing to give him a little more time.

BOB_Man24

Go Cats!
Reaction score
Djaughe said:
lol...grace does kinda suck in the booth. I've been kinda waitin for something insightful too (not about how the rookies listen to his stories) - but hey I'm willing to give him a little more time.

He can take a little more time, but i hope Grace and Brennaman are replaying the tapes to figure out what is wrong with his mechanics and such.

Revamp the color comentator!

Hey Adam, its almost your time to shine......

Djaughe

Reaction score
BOB_Man24 said:
He can take a little more time, but i hope Grace and Brennaman are replaying the tapes to figure out what is wrong with his mechanics and such.

Revamp the color comentator!

Hey Adam, its almost your time to shine......
Maybe thats why the dbacks have a day off in the colorado series...........

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Thank you. I thought it was just me.

At least Traber was enthusiastic! Or better yet, bring back Steve Lyons.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
NavyVet said:
By the way, lost in all this is just how much my wife and I hate Thom Brennaman. Nepotism at its worst.
Hey, why the harshness for Thommy? I like Thom!

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Grace doesn't sound like himself. Maybe he is afraid to say some things on the air? Aside from that, his voice sounds terrible. I hope he gets better, he seems like he could do a great job.

Rod Allen was bad, though. Captain Obvious.
Traber was nice, I liked his mix of humor and knowledge.
Phelps is just plain bad. He must've said "Webby" on air 25 times yesterday.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
Grace is not off to a good start. I would rather listen to Traber or Joe Sr. anyday.

Joe Sr? You can not be serious.

A-Bomb

AZZenny

Reaction score
One thing that's clear is how VERY individual tastes are! I liked Traber right off but he could wear on me over time, absolutely cannot stand Brennaman - pompous doesn't begin to describe it - like Schulte pretty well other than the frequent errors, not Munds, didn't like Lyons as much as I'd expected, bored to death by Rod Allen, liked Vic Rojas OK, Joe Sr is fine in very small doses, can't stand Phelps. Neutral to negative on Grace so far - but indeed, he does remind me of the guy in the movie "All That Jazz" - 'and now, let me introduce a fine man, a great entertainer, a true humanitarian, and my very, very good friend.... [Reggie Sanders/Tony Womack/etc]' :D

Capt'nCard

Veteran
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Let's not go overboard. Traber was pathetic.

What happened to Steve Lyons?
Lyons sucked! All he did was rip on Thom and the D-backs. he never had anything positive to say! At least Gracey knows these guys personally and give great scouting reports on pitchers he's faced for years. I like Gracey, but no one was better than Brenly in the box! :talk:

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Thom and Traber were the BEST by far. Anyone who didn't like Traber is "stiff" :D Also Traber "called" a lot of stuff before it happened...and pointed out "insightful" details during games. Next to Brenly...I think Traber was every bit as good. btw...I agree, Lyons was a little too negative and bratty. Wasn't expecting that at all.

Bring back Traber damn-it! Make it FUN again! :)

Cland

Veteran
Reaction score
I was all excited for Grace in the booth but it only took a couple innings of a cactus league game for me to change my mind. He is horrible IMO. I would rather have Allen, Schulte, Traber, Lyons, Joe Sr. just about anyone up there instead of him. Hell of a guy and a hell of a player but a horrible color man.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05