Plumlee might be another Mcdonough steal

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score

Dude is pretty athletic, check out the dunk at 2:39 and watch the rest of it for more swats and dunks.

Can he even do a 360?

Plumlee had a quality showing in the 2013 Orlando Summer League, or in the eyes of McDonough, was a very impressive showing.

"I have been impressed with him and walking out of the gym in Orlando for the Summer League down there I would say of the 10 teams there and probably 100+ players between those teams he was one of the Top 5 players in my opinion in that tournament."

Being a Top 5 player in Summer League is what it is, but the little takeaways like rebounding the ball and blocking shots consistently are nice improvements to his game.
http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2013/8/3/4585242/phoenix-suns-acquired-miles-plumlee-fill-a-void

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like his athleticism and size, however, this did not translate well in college. If can finish, rebound and play some defense I will be happy.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think he can be a Lou type player for us if he can keep up his motor.

Errntknght

Reaction score
And this would be a good year for him to work on developing a jump shot - during our games!

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Who are the other steals? Bledsoe and Goodwin? Shouldn't they at least appear in a couple of regular season games before they are deemed steals? I think both are steals but let's not get ahead of ourselves. When does preseason start?

Looks like Plumlee can move around on the court but he has to play some defence, rebound and catch the ball and put it in as well.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who are the other steals? Bledsoe and Goodwin? Shouldn't they at least appear in a couple of regular season games before they are deemed steals? I think both are steals but let's not get ahead of ourselves. When does preseason start?
wondering the same thing.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Looks like Plumlee can move around on the court but he has to play some defence, rebound and catch the ball and put it in as well.

wondering the same thing.

I think it's reasonable to call them steals in the same way a team can "win the NFL draft" by picking up a 2nd round talent in the 4th round. And I think other teams would view them as steals at this stage of the game. Bledsoe was highly sought after if you believe the sports shows and Goodwin was pretty much the talk of Vegas during the recent summer tournament. Obviously, it would mean far more to be a steal 5 years down the road. But we have so little to cling to, it should be no surprise that we take our successes where we find them.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think it's reasonable to call them steals in the same way a team can "win the NFL draft" by picking up a 2nd round talent in the 4th round. And I think other teams would view them as steals at this stage of the game.
Nice of you to cite Manti Te'o (proj 1st rounder going in 2nd round), Keenan Allen (proj 1st rounder going in 3rd round) and of course, Arizona's own Honey Badger (proj 2nd round going in 3rd rd) ;)

Last edited:

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Buncha' Debbie Downers in here.

You must be registered for see images attach

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The complaint about Plumlee is not athleticism, motor, or intelligence. It's bball instincts. It seems to me that instinct can just "kick in" at some point. Big kids who are athletic and conscientious can be over coached. They then just try to think too much on the court.

The kid is built. Those legs are like tree trunks.

Errntknght

Reaction score
It looks like he came to the right place to get a bundle of playing time. And the running game should suit him to a T. I think Gerald Green (also came in trade for Scola) will work out fine for this next year since we don't want to win too many games. IIRC he's fairly athletic so he could romp up and down floor with the rest of the guys and happily bomb away from the outside in the half court, as he is wont to do.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It looks like he came to the right place to get a bundle of playing time. And the running game should suit him to a T. I think Gerald Green (also came in trade for Scola) will work out fine for this next year since we don't want to win too many games. IIRC he's fairly athletic so he could romp up and down floor with the rest of the guys and happily bomb away from the outside in the half court, as he is wont to do.

I am 99% sure Green isn't gonna play a single minute. He won't be on the roster at all. My understanding is that he hasn't been physically able to play. Curious to see what Plumlee will be able to do. I hope he turns into a bigger Lou.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am 99% sure Green isn't gonna play a single minute. He won't be on the roster at all. My understanding is that he hasn't been physically able to play. Curious to see what Plumlee will be able to do. I hope he turns into a bigger Lou.

Really what's your source?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think those highlights are just meh. He's not an explosive athlete. He looks like what we expect him to be. He earns his keep, nice pick up, but still not a steal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am so sorry- I was thinking Malcolm Lee, not Green. My bad.

I think the primary reason the Suns have not waived Lee yet is because they might try to include him a trade to make salaries match... if a trade comes along.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think those highlights are just meh. He's not an explosive athlete. He looks like what we expect him to be. He earns his keep, nice pick up, but still not a steal.

His combine numbers say he is explosive.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
There may be some sort of issue with consistancy in measuring from year to year, but Plumlee's combine vertical leap is better than Blake Griffin's.

In the 2012 combine, Plumlee tied for the second best maximum vertical jump at 40.5, tied for third with a standing vertical jump of 34.0 and had the fifth fastest lane agility drill.

He is an explosive athlete. The problem is he isn't all that skilled. He is a great pick up considering that Scola is not going to take us anywhere and will be too old to be of any use by the time the Suns are relevant again. He is not a JJ from Boston in exchange for Delk and Rogers type of steal, but Plumlee and a first rounder in exchange for Scola is a solid trade for the Suns.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I like this trade and the Bledsoe trade. I think McD is off to a great start, but I want to see some of the guys play a couple of games before I crown them rising stars and start handing out most improved player of the year awards. I'm positive but keep your pants on.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Another question is who will play PF next year? Are we really starting with Markieff? And who subs for him? This Plumlee fellow?

C Gortat (foot problems) / Len (foot problems) / Plum
PF Keef (talent problems) / Frye (heart condition) / Plum

Now that Scola and Beasley are gone we need someone to fill in.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Suns are hilariously weak at the power positions. They don't have a single legitimate C or PF who's healthy.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake