Post OTAs & Mini-Camp Roster Prediction

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Based on reports and BA's press conferences---from what players have been garnering praise---and where there has been relative silence---here's my interpretation, knowing fully-well that much can change once the pads come on.

QB (2): Palmer; Stanton

There just isn't a lot of buzz surrounding Matt Barkley---the fact that BA&SK were so quick to re-sign Stanton as the #2 and were so vocal about adding a young QB does not speak well for Barkley's present and future in AZ. Not sure if Barkley has much trade value---but maybe they can recover the 7th rounder they gave up for him?

Not hearing much about Jake Coker either---but at least he is a possible PS candidate.

With roster spots being so competitive...it looks more and more like BA will keep 2 QBs and stash one on the PS.

RB (4): Johnson, D.; Johnson, C.; Ellington; Williams

The 4th RB will likely come down to K. Williams and S. Taylor and my prediction is that K. Williams will win the KR job, which seals the deal. Plus, BA has always been quicker to hand the ball to Williams than Taylor when such scenarios presented themselves.

TE (4): Fells; Gresham; Niklas; Momah

Carson Palmer has been raving about Fells and Gresham. Obviously, Niklas has to stay healthy and show improvement. Thus, the 4th TE will likey come down to Ifeanyi Momah and Gerald Christian, and while BA has expressed concern that Momah has gained a little too much weight and has looked somewhat sluggish, he still has the edge on Christian, although should Christian begin to stand out on STs, he could supplant Momah or possibly Niklas on the roster.

OL (9): Veldheer; Iupati; Shipley; Mathis; Humphries; Watford; McClain; Wetzel; Boehm

Word is that A.Q. Shipley's hold on the starting C spot is strong at this point, as Evan Boehm has been trying to learn the offense. It's quite likely that Boehm will get a redshirt year a la D.J. Humphries.

BA has been raving about the work of Watford, McClain and Wetzel. The fact that Watford can play center, guard and tackle, means that he and either McClain or Wetzel can be the 6th and 7th active OL on game days.

While Wetzel is primarily a RT and thus not an ideal candidate to be a "swing" tackle, the coaches are ok with that because they feel that if they need a backup at LT they can play D.J. Humphries there and fill in the RT spot with Watford or Wetzel.

Steve Keim could still add another tackle at some point---but, if Watford and Wetzel play well in camp and in the pre-season games, they could prevail.

As for Cole Toner, the fact that he was moved immediately to guard would suggest a transition year of sorts for him. As a late 5th round draft pick, chances are good that he would clear waivers and be able to be signed to the PS. 5th and 6th round picks are now very much PS types.

If Toner can come close to equalling the play on Antoine McClain, then, because he has 4 years with the club, he would earn the roster spot. But, McClain will be tough to beat out because of his physical prowess.

WR (5): Fitzgerald; Floyd; Brown, Jo.; Nelson; Brown, Ja.

This group appears to be set, the only question is whether Brittan Golden, Jaxson Shipley or rookie sleepers Amir Carlisle or Chris Hubert can win make the team via ST's value. Golden is well-liked by the coaches and his teammates. He made some strides on STs last year. Shipley is perhaps a better possession receiver and punt returner. Carlisle and Hubert have serious wheels.

NT (2): Peters; Bryant

Peters looks to be in good shape and in high spirits. His versatility is a plus. Bryant was a key substitute last year when Bettcher needed to stack the line versus the run.

The question is whether Xavier Williams can beat out Bryant. Coaches typically prefer to go with the younger guy if the competition is close.

DE (5): Gunter; Campbell; Nkemdiche; Rucker; Mauro

Mauro has been more of a factor in the DE rotation than Ed Stinson, thus Stinson has to have a big camp in order to stick.

ILB (4): Minter; Bucannon; Fua; Clemons.

The interesting addition here is Clemons as Bucannon's backup.

The question is whether Alani Fua or Gabe Martin can be a backup to Minter. Both Fua and Martin have STs value. As does UDFAs Lamar Louis and Mathias Farkey.

OLB (5): Golden; Jones; Okafor; Okpalaugo; Riddick

Steve Keim has been anxious to see what Okafor, Okpalaugo, Riddick and Wagenmann look like when the pads go on, which is why he hasn't yet made a move to sign Dwight Freeney. But, with Wagenmann suffering yet another foot injury, perhaps it is time to sign Freeney. One would think Freeney would have the upper hand on any of three backups.

CB (5): Peterson; Bethel; Williams; Miller; Brooks

The buzz is that Cariel Brooks has been drawing consistent praise. The coaches like Asa Jackson too as a physical CB---so it is going to be quite a dogfight. Plus, Elie Bouka has outstanding CB traits and can return punts---so, if he can be 100% healthy, then he could win the #5 CB spot.

The thing is---the coaches are confident that if Bethel struggles, if they don't want to rush Williams or Miller into a starting role, they can start Mathieu or Branch at RCB.

S (5): Jefferson; Mathieu; Swearinger; Branch; Christian

The coaches love the depth and versatility they have in this group.

ST (3): Catanzaro, Butler; Dillon

As of right now it appears that these three have the upper hand, although Butler will be challenged by Swanson and Dillon is in a very close competition with Canaday.

Steve Keim has said that he is keeping his eyes on potential additions via free agency, waivers or trades.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still believe that the ILB position lacks another quality player. While Minter is the starter he is not more than average/ slightly better. Fua and Martin really need to show something in TC because I can't see going into the season with just these players. Any kind of injury and once again this position will be dragging down the D. We have a great opportunity to have a top notch defense. ILB could be the key.

Nice read Mitch.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think they keep Taylor and drop Williams, though I like Williams better. I'd try to see if they can get a pick for Ellington, but his injury history makes that doubtful. If he gets hurt in training camp he's gone.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I still believe that the ILB position lacks another quality player. While Minter is the starter he is not more than average/ slightly better. Fua and Martin really need to show something in TC because I can't see going into the season with just these players. Any kind of injury and once again this position will be dragging down the D. We have a great opportunity to have a top notch defense. ILB could be the key.

Nice read Mitch.

Bullhead: I think they will keep a backup thumper on the practice squad. Quayshawn Nealy (Georgia Tech) could be that guy if he has a good camp. Had the coaches been concerned about it, I think the Cardinals would have drafted an ILB.

I think Minter is going to surprise this year. I would say he was average last year, but this year he is going to take his game to the next level.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I think they keep Taylor and drop Williams, though I like Williams better. I'd try to see if they can get a pick for Ellington, but his injury history makes that doubtful. If he gets hurt in training camp he's gone.

Harry, as you know, Taylor made it the past few years because of STs---but Steve Keim added a number of good STs players, which may make it harder for Taylor to stick this time.

I have been hoping the Cardinals would trade Ellington to Philly for Darren Sproles. But, that seems unlikely.

BA has been creating an expanded role for Ellington this off-season, which includes the new focus on 2 RB sets. Those sets are designed to create and exploit pass coverage mismatches.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Harry, as you know, Taylor made it the past few years because of STs---but Steve Keim added a number of good STs players, which may make it harder for Taylor to stick this time.

I have been hoping the Cardinals would trade Ellington to Philly for Darren Sproles. But, that seems unlikely.

BA has been creating an expanded role for Ellington this off-season, which includes the new focus on 2 RB sets. Those sets are designed to create and exploit pass coverage mismatches.

our ST's units needed improvement. I do not see adding ST guys as a reason to cut Taylor as he was one of the brighter spots on the unit. I would look towards other backup level players who were also inept at their special teams duties.

Reaction score
Mitch, why are you going with Wetzel over Toner? Toner definitely has the smarts to pick up the offense.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, why are you going with Wetzel over Toner? Toner definitely has the smarts to pick up the offense.

Simply because they moved Toner to guard where he will need time to transition and Wetzel is drawing kudos from BA at tackle, which would allow Watford to spend more time at center and guard. Wetzel is one of the reasons why Steve Keim hasn't signed a FA tackle. I watched Wetzel for years at BC and I can attest he is thick and strong in the running game and has a quick hand punch and solid anchor in pass pro. Toner is more of a finesse player---which is fine because he is smart and reasonably athletic. The switch to guard will be interesting to watch---he is going to need time to grow into the position, but could become the versatile G/C/T 6th man that Watford is now.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
This is a team in the moment to win a Super Bowl, and something like that overruns any type of future forecasting concerning our QBs in the wing when Stanton was given a contract that entrenches him as the number 2. To say Barkley or Coker is shot because we have not even hit training camp yet and one expects the coach to concentrate on talking about guys who will never touch the football if all goes according to schedule is a little off kilter in my opinion. Why would there be any hype or much interest in those guys when the main horse in Palmer is set and objective is going forward in the here and now... and if both are doing good and you might want to stash one to the PC, why would you let the other teams know about the guy

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
In his presser, BA said Brown was pressing too much trying to get 1000 yards and started dropping balls. Said he should have had 1400 yards last season and had 200 yards worth of drops against Philly. He doesn't think that will be the case this year.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
First off, the Cards roster is loooaaaaadddeeedddd. When your weakest defensive starter is likely Kevin Minter, that's a loaded defense. When your weakest offensive player is likely you C, with a rookie waiting in the wings to take over, that's a loaded offense. This roster is scary talented and as good as any in the NFL.

I agree with most positions but I think they'll only keep 8 OL. I could see Jaxon Shipley sticking as a the 6th WR and punt returner. I saw a video where Somers and Bickley were talking how much the coaches liked him. I think Taylor stays over Williams too. Like last year, Williams will be brought back if dictated by injury.

On defense, I think Kareem Martin sticks and they'll only keep 3ILB.

Again, when we're discussing the 8th OL, 6th WR, 5th OLB, 4th RB, and 4th ILB, that's a fantastic roster.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
On defense, I think Kareem Martin sticks and they'll only keep 3ILB.

Again, when we're discussing the 8th OL, 6th WR, 5th OLB, 4th RB, and 4th ILB, that's a fantastic roster.

If we hear more reports of someone cross training at OLB and ILB during training camp, similar to Clemons at S/ILB, I think you are dead on with the 3ILB.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Simply because they moved Toner to guard where he will need time to transition and Wetzel is drawing kudos from BA at tackle, which would allow Watford to spend more time at center and guard. Wetzel is one of the reasons why Steve Keim hasn't signed a FA tackle. I watched Wetzel for years at BC and I can attest he is thick and strong in the running game and has a quick hand punch and solid anchor in pass pro. Toner is more of a finesse player---which is fine because he is smart and reasonably athletic. The switch to guard will be interesting to watch---he is going to need time to grow into the position, but could become the versatile G/C/T 6th man that Watford is now.

Wetzel:
Oakland Raiders
On April 29, 2013, Wetzel was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Oakland Raiders. On August 20, he was waived/injured by the Raiders. On the next day, he cleared waivers and was placed on the injured reserve list. On August 24, he was waived from the team with an injury settlement.
Dallas Cowboys
On November 12, 2013, he was signed by the Dallas Cowboys to the practice squad. On September 5, 2015, he was waived by the Cowboys. On September 7, 2015, he was signed to the Cowboys' practice squad after clearing waivers. On November 12, he was released.
Indianapolis Colts
On November 24, 2015, Wetzel signed with the Indianapolis Colts practice squad. He was released on December 1.
Arizona Cardinals
On December 9, 2015, the Arizona Cardinals signed Wetzel to their practice squad.
Four teams in four seasons. I wonder what happened in Indy. This is from 2013:

Wetzel (6-foot-7, 315) was a two-year starter for the Eagles, playing left tackle as a junior before being kicked to the right side as a senior. A heavy-legged waist bender, Wetzel has very little athleticism and upside. He's a right-tackle only, severely limiting Wetzel's attractiveness as a potential Raiders backup.
Maybe they can work on the waist bending. I don't know what they can do about heavy-legged. It sounds like BA likes him though. If he's versatile, that will a go long way. Definitely a big dude.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan