Pre-Camp: YOUR Picks for the Cardinals' Starters, 53 Man Roster and PS

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
QB- Skelton
RB- Wells (sorry Williams, you have to earn the job, not be crowned without every playing a snap in a regular season game)
FB- Sherman
TE- King
WR1- Fitz
WR2- Floyd
OL- Brown, Colledge, Sendlein, Snyder, Massie
DE- Campbell, Dockett
NT- Williams
OLB- Acho, Schofield
ILB- Washington, TBD
CB- PP21, Toler
S- Wilson, Rhodes
K- Feely
P- FA
LS- Leach

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I am very interested in reading yours and your explanations because I think this is going to be a very difficult roster to figure out.

Here are my choices----AS IN WHO I WANT, NOT WHAT I THINK THE CARDINALS WILL DO---SAME FOr YOU---- (starters in CAPS):

QB (3): 19-SKELTON; 4-Kolb, 14-Lindley.

The QB who generated the turnaround and winning momentum last year was Skelton---so imo the best way to build on and maintain that momentum is to stick with the guy who brought you a 6-2 record down the stretch.

I worry about Kolb's health, largely because he lacks a 6th sense of how to feel pressure and how to avoid it. He freezes too much at times and he runs away from it too early at times.

I choose Lindley over Bartel because I believe he would be a better scout team QB, because of his strong arm. I also believe that with good coaching he can be a factor if need be in a couple of years.

RB (3): 34-WILLIAMS; 36-Stephens-Howling; 26-Wells.

Li'l Sweetness gets the nod for me, as he is more versatile and potentially dynamic in the passing game and he is quicker to the hole than Wells.

I am hoping that Hyphen gets many more snaps this year because this could be a real breakout year on offense for him, provided he can stay healthy.

Wells becomes the short yardage and goal-line RB, which may enable him to stay healthy all year.

FB (1): 35-SHERMAN.

I would like to see Sherman used as a single back blocker and receiving threat in the passing game.

Curious to see if Jared Crank (Purdue) is worthy of a PS spot.

TE (3): 87-KING; 86-Heap; 85-Housler.

I think all three can have very good years and that we will start to see how special Housler is.

It makes no sense to me to continue to keep 4 TEs. If the last roster spot came down to Jim Dray or CB Michael Adams, there is no question I'd want to keep Adams for his ST prowess.

T (4): 75-BROWN; 70-MASSIE; 73-Bridges; 76-Potter.

I am ready to go with Massie at RT---he's clearly the best athlete for the job and his experience in the SEC in a passing offense has prepared him well.

I give the nod to Bridges right now, but I am anxious to see if my instincts about D'Anthony Batiste are correct.

I do not want to expose Nate Potter to waivers, but I would like to keep D.J. Young on the PS another year.

G (4): 71-COLLEDGE; 68-SNYDER, 64-Kelemete, 74-Batiste.

What's so great roster-wise about Bridges, Kelemete and Batsite is that they all can play guard and tackle.

I am also very interested in seeing Chris Thomas---he might surprise enough to

C (1): 63-SENDLEIN.

I would like to see if we can keep Ryan Bartholomew on the PS another year. Adam Snyder becomes the center if need be.

WR (5): 11-FITZGERALD; 15-FLOYD; 85-Doucet, 12Roberts, 18-S. Williams.

I think Stephen Williams is finally going to break out and be a big catch performer in games.

I am tempted to keep 6, but no one as yet jumps out at me just yet---the one I am very curious about is slot WR Jaymar Johnson because of his speed and quickness.

NT (2): 92-WILLIAMS; 69-Cohen.

David Carter will play some here too, but Carter was at his best last year as a rotation DE and that's where I'd like to see him play the most snaps.

Cohen is solid.

DE (4): 90-DOCKETT; 93-CAMPBELL; 79-Carter, 98-Eason;

What an active group this is!

ILB (4): 51-LENON; 58-WASHINGTON; 55-Bradley; 56-Walker.

I think that Bradley might win the starting job, but for now I list Lenon.

Two young UCFA's who may surprise here are Colin Parker and Marcus McGraw as may last year's 6th rounder, Quan Sturdivant---so Reggie Walker has to be on his game to stick.

OLB (5): 94-ACHO; 50-SCHOFIELD; 54-Groves; 59-B. Williams; 43-Nash.

Groves, Williams and Nash will be a situational rushers---and Nash will be a standout on STs.

CB (6): 21-PETERSON; 28-TOLER; 23-Gay, 20-Jefferson, 22-Butler; 29-Flemming.

I think Jefferson will be vastly improved and may keep the starting RCB position---but that Toler will be a little more of a ballhawker.

Gay and Butler play Marshall's role as nickel CB and S.

Flemming will be pushing for lots of playing time.

Still trying to find a way to keep Mike Adams, but not seeing it right now. I might keep him and keep only 4 OLBers---and I am not convinced that the young DBs would be nearly as good on STs as Adams.

The unsung player to keep an eye on here is UCFA Larry Parker---he is going to turn some heads---and hopefully will make it through waivers onto the PS.

I found it very interesting that the Colts hopped on Korey Lindsay---they have first dibs on waiver claims and the Colts jumped on him. I think teams are keeping a very close eye on our DB depth.

S (4): 24-WILSON; 25-RHODES; 49-Johnson, 39-Sanders.

I am hoping that both Wilson and Rhodes are so on board with the coaching this year that they have fantastic seasons. Johnson and Sanders are solid---and if I am correct, Johnson will be starting at some point this year, possibly even from the get-go.

I don't want to waive Justin Bethel, but I am not sure he is strong enough physically yet to be a factor. The hope is he passes through waivers. In a year or two he could be very good.

The other young guy I am very curious to see is Eddie Elder---I think he's got the right talent and hunger for the position.

ST (3): 3-Feely; 1-Schmitt; 82-Leach.

I think that Ricky Schmitt will win the punting job---he's got the big leg, is very good at directional punting, and he can be used on kickoffs to routinely kick the ball to the back of the end zone.

PS (8): 67-Young (T); 62-Bartholmew (C); 13-Arukwe (WR); 44-Skelton (TE); 41-Parker (LB); 46-Binns (LB); 97-Parker (CB); 31-Bethel (S).

This was challenging---but, what's very interesting is to see how the camp and pre-season games will give us a better sense of who is going to make it.

I agree with word for word at QB. At RB I am going to stick with Wells as I have not seen enough of Williams to make any judgement. I hope Williams can steal the job from Beenie but in either case we will not have to depend on Beenie so much so that he losses his legs late in the game. Like you, I would like to see Howling get more carries and perhaps some short passes into the flat where he can use his speed and moves. Skelton has the arm to get it out there fast if he can put it accurately.

I simply am not well enough informed to make any judgements on the line except for the very obvious like Dockett, Campbell, etc. Fitz should have a much improved year as we should have a better running game and more receivers with our new TE and Heap in there. I go into the year feeling rather good about the team other than wondering about Kolb and Skelton. Our success will revolve around how these or at least one of them turns out. Both will have the benefit of one year of team experience so there is hope.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
QB: Kolb, Skelton, Bartel
RB: Wells, Williams, LSH, Smith
FB: Sherman
WR: Fitz, Roberts, Doucet, Floyd, Sampson, Williams
TE: King, Housler, Heap, Dray
OL: Brown, Colledge, Sendlein, Snyder, Massie, Bridges, Kelemete, Batiste

DL: Dockett, Campbell, Williams, Eason, Carter, Talley
LB: Acho, Lenon, Washington, Schofield, Bradley, Groves, Haggans, Williams
CB: Peterson, Gay, Toler, Jefferson, Flemming, Adams
S: Wilson, Rhodes, Johnson, Sanders
K: Feely
P: Zastudil
LS: Leach

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
That makes sense.

Yeah, Webb is 15-20lbs heavier than King and Dray. Did you know that the Cards have 21 guys on the roster right now listed at 300lbs or more. TWENTY-ONE! Where do they find all these guys?

I can find twice that any given time at Hometown Buffet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
williams over wells is crazy at this point. We have never seen him play a real snap.

Unsterblich856

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I fail to see the logic in benching Beanie Wells, who's coming off a season where he amassed 1000+ yard season, 10 TDs, and 4.6 YPC, for a de facto rookie coming off of major knee surgery and has played a total 2 1/2 quarters of preseason ball (Williams), and a small scat back (LSH).

I know you don't like Wells, Mitch. You had us trading him last season. But it's hard to reject the fact that he was our best running back last season, while playing on a bum knee for the last 14 games.

He put up a really nice season and there are people on this board who STILL don't respect him. I don't get it.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I can find twice that any given time at Hometown Buffet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're talking about guys not women. And people 6'4" and 6'5" not 5'3".

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I am very interested in reading yours and your explanations because I think this is going to be a very difficult roster to figure out.

Here are my choices----AS IN WHO I WANT, NOT WHAT I THINK THE CARDINALS WILL DO---SAME FOr YOU---- (starters in CAPS):

QB (3): 19-SKELTON; 4-Kolb, 14-Lindley.

The QB who generated the turnaround and winning momentum last year was Skelton---so imo the best way to build on and maintain that momentum is to stick with the guy who brought you a 6-2 record down the stretch.

I worry about Kolb's health, largely because he lacks a 6th sense of how to feel pressure and how to avoid it. He freezes too much at times and he runs away from it too early at times.

I choose Lindley over Bartel because I believe he would be a better scout team QB, because of his strong arm. I also believe that with good coaching he can be a factor if need be in a couple of years.

RB (3): 34-WILLIAMS; 36-Stephens-Howling; 26-Wells.

Li'l Sweetness gets the nod for me, as he is more versatile and potentially dynamic in the passing game and he is quicker to the hole than Wells.

I am hoping that Hyphen gets many more snaps this year because this could be a real breakout year on offense for him, provided he can stay healthy.

Wells becomes the short yardage and goal-line RB, which may enable him to stay healthy all year.

FB (1): 35-SHERMAN.

I would like to see Sherman used as a single back blocker and receiving threat in the passing game.

Curious to see if Jared Crank (Purdue) is worthy of a PS spot.

TE (3): 87-KING; 86-Heap; 85-Housler.

I think all three can have very good years and that we will start to see how special Housler is.

It makes no sense to me to continue to keep 4 TEs. If the last roster spot came down to Jim Dray or CB Michael Adams, there is no question I'd want to keep Adams for his ST prowess.

T (4): 75-BROWN; 70-MASSIE; 73-Bridges; 76-Potter.

I am ready to go with Massie at RT---he's clearly the best athlete for the job and his experience in the SEC in a passing offense has prepared him well.

I give the nod to Bridges right now, but I am anxious to see if my instincts about D'Anthony Batiste are correct.

I do not want to expose Nate Potter to waivers, but I would like to keep D.J. Young on the PS another year.

G (4): 71-COLLEDGE; 68-SNYDER, 64-Kelemete, 74-Batiste.

What's so great roster-wise about Bridges, Kelemete and Batsite is that they all can play guard and tackle.

I am also very interested in seeing Chris Thomas---he might surprise enough to

C (1): 63-SENDLEIN.

I would like to see if we can keep Ryan Bartholomew on the PS another year. Adam Snyder becomes the center if need be.

WR (5): 11-FITZGERALD; 15-FLOYD; 85-Doucet, 12Roberts, 18-S. Williams.

I think Stephen Williams is finally going to break out and be a big catch performer in games.

I am tempted to keep 6, but no one as yet jumps out at me just yet---the one I am very curious about is slot WR Jaymar Johnson because of his speed and quickness.

NT (2): 92-WILLIAMS; 69-Cohen.

David Carter will play some here too, but Carter was at his best last year as a rotation DE and that's where I'd like to see him play the most snaps.

Cohen is solid.

DE (4): 90-DOCKETT; 93-CAMPBELL; 79-Carter, 98-Eason;

What an active group this is!

ILB (4): 51-LENON; 58-WASHINGTON; 55-Bradley; 56-Walker.

I think that Bradley might win the starting job, but for now I list Lenon.

Two young UCFA's who may surprise here are Colin Parker and Marcus McGraw as may last year's 6th rounder, Quan Sturdivant---so Reggie Walker has to be on his game to stick.

OLB (5): 94-ACHO; 50-SCHOFIELD; 54-Groves; 59-B. Williams; 43-Nash.

Groves, Williams and Nash will be a situational rushers---and Nash will be a standout on STs.

CB (6): 21-PETERSON; 28-TOLER; 23-Gay, 20-Jefferson, 22-Butler; 29-Flemming.

I think Jefferson will be vastly improved and may keep the starting RCB position---but that Toler will be a little more of a ballhawker.

Gay and Butler play Marshall's role as nickel CB and S.

Flemming will be pushing for lots of playing time.

Still trying to find a way to keep Mike Adams, but not seeing it right now. I might keep him and keep only 4 OLBers---and I am not convinced that the young DBs would be nearly as good on STs as Adams.

The unsung player to keep an eye on here is UCFA Larry Parker---he is going to turn some heads---and hopefully will make it through waivers onto the PS.

I found it very interesting that the Colts hopped on Korey Lindsay---they have first dibs on waiver claims and the Colts jumped on him. I think teams are keeping a very close eye on our DB depth.

S (4): 24-WILSON; 25-RHODES; 49-Johnson, 39-Sanders.

I am hoping that both Wilson and Rhodes are so on board with the coaching this year that they have fantastic seasons. Johnson and Sanders are solid---and if I am correct, Johnson will be starting at some point this year, possibly even from the get-go.

I don't want to waive Justin Bethel, but I am not sure he is strong enough physically yet to be a factor. The hope is he passes through waivers. In a year or two he could be very good.

The other young guy I am very curious to see is Eddie Elder---I think he's got the right talent and hunger for the position.

ST (3): 3-Feely; 1-Schmitt; 82-Leach.

I think that Ricky Schmitt will win the punting job---he's got the big leg, is very good at directional punting, and he can be used on kickoffs to routinely kick the ball to the back of the end zone.

PS (8): 67-Young (T); 62-Bartholmew (C); 13-Arukwe (WR); 44-Skelton (TE); 41-Parker (LB); 46-Binns (LB); 97-Parker (CB); 31-Bethel (S).

This was challenging---but, what's very interesting is to see how the camp and pre-season games will give us a better sense of who is going to make it.

This sort of fits your projection Mitch: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/car...arizona-cardinals-rookie-qb-ryan-lindley.html

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Updated 6/9/12:

QB (3): SKELTON, Kolb, Lindley.

RB (3): WILLIAMS, Wells, LSH.

FB (1): SHERMAN.

TE (3): KING, Heap, Housler.

OL (9): BROWN, COLLEDGE, SENDLEIN, SNYDER, MASSIE, Bridges, Batiste, Kelemete, Potter.

WR (5): FITZGERALD, FLOYD, Doucet, Roberts, S. Williams.

NT (2): WILLIAMS, Carter.

DE (4): DOCKETT, CAMPBELL, Eason, Holliday.

ILB (4): LENON, WASHINGTON, Bradley, Parker.

OLB (5): ACHO, SCHOFIELD, Haggans, Groves, Nash.

CB (6): PETERSON, GAY, Toler, Jefferson, Flemming, Adams

S (5): WILSON, RHODES, Butler, Johnson, Bethel.

ST (3): Feely, Schmitt, Leach.

LAST ONES OUT: QB-Bartel, RB-Smith, WR-Sampson, Slot WR-Johnson, TE-Dray, C-Bartholomew, G-Stewart, T-Young, NT-Cohen, DE-Talley, ILB-Walker, OLB-B. Williams, CB-Parker, S-Sanders, P-Zastudil.

PS (8): C-Bartholomew, RB-Smith, WR-Sampson, TE-Skelton, FB/TE-Webb, LB-McGraw, CB-Parker, S-Elder.

Reasons why my roster won't happen:

1. My offense/defense split is 24/26---if anything, with Whisenhunt as HC it will be 26/24 offense.

2. It's entirely possible we will keep 4 QBs.

3. It's likely we will continue to keep 4 TEs---

4. It may be necessary in light of injury factors to keep 4 RBs.

5. They most likely won't keep 11 DBs---but if Ray Horton has his way, they would because the DB depth is paramount to Horton---plus we have more young talent there right now than ever before and I can assure you that teams have their eyes on our depth.

6. It's quite possible we will keep only 8 offensive linemen and keep 2 or three on the PS.

Players that offer roster versatility:

Housler: TE, WR
Dray: TE, FB, ST
Webb: TE, FB, ST
Batiste: G, T
Bridges: G, T
Kelemete: G, T
Carter: NT, DE
Cohen: NT, DE
Bradley: ILB, OLB
Groves: OLB, Nickel DE
B. Williams: OLB, Nickel DE
Coleman: OLB, Nickel DE
Nash: OLB, Nickel DE, ST
Butler: CB, S, ST
Gay: CB, S, ST
Adams: CB, ST
Bethel: CB, S, ST
Jefferson: CB, S, ST
Toler: CB, S
Schmitt: P, K (kickoffs)

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, always enjoy your take. Agree that Whiz will go 26/24 offense over defense. And think that because of past injury issues (Heap, Williams and Wells) we'll keep four TE's and four RB's. This brings us to 26 on offense. And the two lost on defense will come from DB (1) and LB (1). Who? I'm not sure, jmo. But your opinions make the TC wait better.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
There's no possibility that we keep 4 QBs. If Lindley turns out to be awful, there's a greater chance that we'd only take 2 QBs into the regular season, since it's unlikely Richard Bartel would be able to find work elsewhere.

It's telling about this coaching staff that last offseason there were rumors that Skelton's #2 position was in jeopardy to Bartel. :bang:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The proposed rosters submitted seem fine to me except for depth at RB. IMO, Williams is still iffy to begin the season, Wells is fine but he does get banged up and I view LSH as more a specialty back. I don't like the idea of depending upon Smith as the 4th RB. If Wells should go down for any length of time the Cardinals may be in trouble.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
There's no possibility that we keep 4 QBs. If Lindley turns out to be awful, there's a greater chance that we'd only take 2 QBs into the regular season, since it's unlikely Richard Bartel would be able to find work elsewhere.

It's telling about this coaching staff that last offseason there were rumors that Skelton's #2 position was in jeopardy to Bartel. :bang:

Why should that surprise you? These are the same guys who claimed Leinart's #2 position was in jeopardy to Brian St. Pierre, he of the 45.6 career QB rating, and then decided that DeWreck Anderson and Max Hall were the 1-2 combo that was going to defend our NFC West Title.

Max Hall and Brian St.Pierre and now Ryan Lindley and trading up to get some unheralded QB from Fordham of all places. When it comes to QB's it seems like CKW is into adopting sad looking homeless orphans instead of hiring NFL caliber QBs. He got lucky and one of his orphans actually turned out to have some potential.

Got to give him credit for Horton though. After 5 years Whisenhunt finally learned what needed to be done to build a competitive defense.

Last edited:

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I think we see eye to eye on the offense Mitch. I hope Bradley steps up and becomes the inside backer we hoped for when we signed him. The guy I hope gets it is Sturdivant. He has the athletic skills to be D Washingtons backup.He has second round skills but fourth round smarts. I am hoping that we sign a D lineman in the first week of the season. Someone that is very good but just got beat out because of too many good linemen on the team. Right now I don't like our backups going into the season. I don't ever remember having so much depth at cb. I expect Toler to win the number two spot. I am hoping Flemming wins the #3 spot. Even with so much depth though I don't expect our corner play to be much better than average. Last I am hoping for a punter.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Speaking of TE's I wonder what the Cards reasoning was in bringing in Martell Webb? A big blocking TE. Doesn't look like he has any value as a receiver and not really fast enough for special teams work. But then his listed 40 time isn't much different than Dray's so I don't know.

Webb can catch as well, maybe better than Dray.

He was noted as flashing the quality of his hands at camp.

He is here to challenge Jim Dray.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Why should that surprise you? These are the same guys who claimed Leinart's #2 position was in jeopardy to Brian St. Pierre, he of the 45.6 career QB rating, and then decided that DeWreck Anderson and Max Hall were the 1-2 combo that was going to defend our NFC West Title.

Max Hall and Brian St.Pierre and now Ryan Lindley and trading up to get some unheralded QB from Fordham of all places. When it comes to QB's it seems like CKW is into adopting sad looking homeless orphans instead of hiring NFL caliber QBs. He got lucky and one of his orphans actually turned out to have some potential.

Got to give him credit for Horton though. After 5 years Whisenhunt finally learned what needed to be done to build a competitive defense.

+1.

Biggest doubt I have about Whiz is his staff's and his own self's ability to evaluate the QB position.

The next biggest doubt I have ? Russ Grimm's ability to put together an offensive line.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Good stuff Mitch. I believe that this team will be built around Horton's defense, and that it will be a serious threat in the league this year because of our much improved defense. Because of that, I really hope that we get to see what Kevin Kolb can bring to the table in our offense. While, (like you), I am somewhat suspicious about his ability to handle the rush, I would really like to see what he can do when he doesn't have to think about what to do each time he drops back. Hopefully he will get enough reps in practice and competition with the Skeletor, so that he can just read and react. Last year seems so unfair be the ONLY chance to evaluate someone in his predicament. I really hope that he wins the starting job in a fair competition with Skelton. That's where I will start, and I will have more a little later on the other starters and the 53 man roster. I am just as sure that our offense will be as different this year as our defense became last year. I don't see us relying nearly so much on the passing game, but having more balance in the offense. Be back later with the rest. This is my wish for a start though-----------

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
This would be my preference for Offensive Line:

LT-----BROWN, Batiste, (Potter)PS

LG-----COLLEDGE, Stewart

C-------SENDLEIN, Bartholomew

RG-----SNYDER, Kelemete

RT------MASSIE, Bridges (DeChristopher)PS

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

LG-----COLLEDGE, Stewart

RG-----SNYDER, Kelemete

Keep an eye on D.J. Young at Tackle during pre season games.

spanky1

Reaction score

LG-----COLLEDGE, Stewart

RG-----SNYDER, Kelemete

I don't see us keeping 10 OL on the 53 man roster. I also think Kelemete is back up for Colledge, not Snyder. DeChistopher is a G not a T, I believe.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Keep an eye on D.J. Young at Tackle during pre season games.

Thanks DJ-----It seems like it has been so long since we have had a real influx of personnel on the O-line. I am so anxious to see how many keepers we have out of this bunch. I am stoked to see what happens in TC.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05