Present depth chart

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The last roster thread seemed old and the discussion was way off topic. Here it is present:

PG: Goran Dragic, Kendall Marshall, Ish Smith
SG: Eric Bledsoe, Archie Goodwin, Shannon Brown
SF: PJ Tucker, Gerald Green, Marcus Morris
PF: Markieff Morris, Channing Frye, Miles Plumlee
C: Marcin Gortat, Alex Len, Viacheslav Kravtsov

Malcolm Lee, Alex Oriahki: will not make the roster

Thoughts:

1. With Butler and Beasley gone, Green is going to get a chance to show if he has anything. The guy is athletic and entertaining. If he can gain some consistency, it would be interesting.

2. We have so many bigs. Gortat, Len, Kravtsov, Plumlee, and Frye can all play center. There is some young potential there. Nothing to bet on, but at least something to observe.

Yes, I would pay to watch this roster. Just because I would be deeply interested in how the young players develop. Len, Goodwin and Plumlee in particular.

Then there is that athletic group that could "get it" in Green, Smith, and Bledsoe.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I can't see Green playing ahead of Marcus. Perhaps him and Brown will compete for the backup SG spot.

PG: Goran Dragic, Archie Goodwin, Kendall Marshall
SG: Eric Bledsoe, Shannon Brown, Gerald Green
SF: PJ Tucker, Marcus Morris, Gerald Green

Malcolm Lee, Ish Smith, Alex Oriahki: will not make the roster

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Once Frye gets back to 100%, he should get more PF minutes than Mk Morris. True, Frye isn't part of the long-term future, but he's the better player, and the Suns should try to get what value they can out of his contract. Also, he has earned some loyalty from the organiztion. The Suns will probably need Frye at C, too, though, so both Morrises will still get chances to play.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns will try to move Marshall at the first opportunity.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I can't see Green playing ahead of Marcus. Perhaps him and Brown will compete for the backup SG spot.

PG: Goran Dragic, Archie Goodwin, Kendall Marshall
SG: Eric Bledsoe, Shannon Brown, Gerald Green
SF: PJ Tucker, Marcus Morris, Gerald Green

Malcolm Lee, Ish Smith, Alex Oriahki: will not make the roster

Based on what? Summer League.

The Morris twins CEILING is backup. And that's if they play as good and consistent as their talent allows.

I wish I could never see a Morris in Suns jersey again.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Morris twins CEILING is backup. And that's if they play as good and consistent as their talent allows.

Blanks gave the Suns a heavy burden to carry in the Morris twins, Marshall and Beasley.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

What's Green's ceiling then? Superstar?

They all suck the same. Difference is that Marcus has spent more time with Hornacek and is more familiar with him and the coaching staff than Green.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What's Green's ceiling then? Superstar?

They all suck the same. Difference is that Marcus has spent more time with Hornacek and is more familiar with him and the coaching staff than Green.

What? How much longer? A few days. Crap is still crap no matter how nice a bag you put it in.

Who said Green is a superstar? We KNOW what Marcus Morris is--a barely servicable backup. Green at least could be fun to watch. Neither Morris twin is fun to watch. In fact, they are excruciatingly difficult to watch.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What? How much longer? A few days. Crap is still crap no matter how nice a bag you put it in.

Who said Green is a superstar? We KNOW what Marcus Morris is--a barely servicable backup. Green at least could be fun to watch. Neither Morris twin is fun to watch. In fact, they are excruciatingly difficult to watch.

We KNOW what Green is also. Hell, he's been playing basketball professionally a lot longer than Marcus has.

Marcus is as much a barely servicable backup as Green is.

And Green may be a lot more athletic than Marcus is but Marcus is also a lot smarter than Green is (basketball IQ) and I'll give the edge to Marcus from that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We KNOW what Green is also. Hell, he's been playing basketball professionally a lot longer than Marcus has.

Marcus is as much a barely servicable backup as Green is.

And Green may be a lot more athletic than Marcus is but Marcus is also a lot smarter than Green is (basketball IQ) and I'll give the edge to Marcus from that.

What makes you think Marcus Morris deserves more time based on basketball IQ? You seem to pull these little nuggets out of your brain with nothing to back them up.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a silly argument, Chaplin. Your disdain for Marcus Morris is palpable. Why the hate?

Errntknght

Reaction score
In his own abrasive style Chaplain is only asking sunsfan88 what he's basing his claim of Marcus' superior IQ on. I have to say I've never noticed Marcus' doing anything that suggested a high bball IQ - and I look for that in players. I suppose he could mean that Marcus' is merely typical while Green is abysmal, but he didn't indicate that he'd seen a lot of Green's game, which would have lent some credence to his statement.

Overall, there's probably not a lot to choose from between them and at this point I don't see either of them as keepers - in other words, they're what we need a lot of this year to get a good draft pick next June.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
In his own abrasive style Chaplain is only asking sunsfan88 what he's basing his claim of Marcus' superior IQ on. I have to say I've never noticed Marcus' doing anything that suggested a high bball IQ - and I look for that in players. I suppose he could mean that Marcus' is merely typical while Green is abysmal, but he didn't indicate that he'd seen a lot of Green's game, which would have lent some credence to his statement.

Overall, there's probably not a lot to choose from between them and at this point I don't see either of them as keepers - in other words, they're what we need a lot of this year to get a good draft pick next June.

Abrasive style? How long do people have to put up with Morris love before someone calls them on it? The optimism about him is mind-boggling. He has shown nothing to say he will be worth the money we pay him.

True, you can say the same for Gerald Green as well, but at least he might be fun to watch. Watching either Morris twin is like watching paint dry. Also, I can't imagine sunsfan88 has seen much of Green--1) he's on the Indiana Pacers, a team virtually invisible in the NBA, and 2) he barely got playing time, making it even more unlikely he's seen him. I'll take the unknown vs. known borefest. Unless it's Tim Duncan. Then I'll take Tim Duncan.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Morris love? Haha I definitely don't love either Morris man, don't worry. I think both of them can maybe become solid rotation players someday but its not like I would be really disappointed if they were traded or cut. I like their toughness and physicality a lot though and I wish it would rub off on the team.

What makes you think Marcus Morris deserves more time based on basketball IQ? You seem to pull these little nuggets out of your brain with nothing to back them up.

You are absolutely right that I haven't seen Gerald Green a lot. I have heard about him though. I have heard that he's very athletic and can make dunks that make fans go "OOoooOOoooo". His comparison in my opinion is Shannon Brown without the ability to the drive to the rim and also without the ego to iso up and try to shoot right over a defender ala Kobe.

As for basketball IQ, I have heard plenty how Green has such a low basketball IQ. Type in "Gerald Green basketball iq" and this what you get

https://www.google.com/search?q=ger...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

All reports and posts from fans who have watched him plenty that say he's got low bball iq.

Now I did the same for Marcus Morris and here's what I got

A skilled 4 who can score all the way out to the college 3. Struggles with NBA length but can pass and has a high basketball IQ. Morris is tough and unafraid but not explosive as a scorer or athlete and is probably a bench player.

http://kansascity.sbnation.com/kans...f-morris-listed-among-top-players-on-espn-nba
And

Basketball IQ: Marcus Morris has a very high basketball IQ.

http://www.rantsports.com/mock-draft/2011/06/16/marcus-morris-scouting-report/
And apparently Marcus was knowledgebale enough about basketball that players at KU followed him and took advice from him. Even KU fans who watched Marcus a lot more than any of us agreed about his basketball IQ

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=172&f=2481&t=11662884
And most importantly, from watching Marcus with the Suns, I don't remember him making much or any boneheaded plays. And from reports about Gerald Green, he apparently has.

And please, be more respectful in the future. I didn't attack you in my post and accuse you of speaking out of your a**, I deserve that same respect in return. As you can see here, I usually don't post something without looking into it first. But even if I did, it could be addressed in a much more appropriate manner.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I can't believe that people are really arguing over which one of the two absolute scrubs is better. They both suck, so you make them compete for minutes- it's that simple.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I can't believe that people are really arguing over which one of the two absolute scrubs is better. They both suck, so you make them compete for minutes- it's that simple.

Neither is going to win games for us, so it simply comes down to who you as a fan would like to see play.

I pick Green.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What a silly argument, Chaplin. Your disdain for Marcus Morris is palpable. Why the hate?

I agree with Chap. Green has more potential to be a starter than Marcus. He is more athletic and has really shown promise on teams that move the ball. Indy was a horrible offense for his talents last year. He is WAY ahead of Marcus athletically.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Chap. Green has more potential to be a starter than Marcus. He is more athletic and has really shown promise on teams that move the ball. Indy was a horrible offense for his talents last year. He is WAY ahead of Marcus athletically.

So what. Neither of them are going to amount to much of anything in the history of the Phoenix Suns.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So what. Neither of them are going to amount to much of anything in the history of the Phoenix Suns.

Yeah, so? What does that have to do with anything? Nobody is saying that either will help us do much of anything. One or both will play, the question is who is worth playing more?

For wins, neither most likely. For actually watching the games, then the answer IMO is obvious.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score

This is a message board for one of the league's worst teams and it is the offseason. If the criteria for posting anything is that it has to focus on someone who will be a pillar of Suns history then they might as well close the forum for a few years.

Somebody besides Gortat, Dragic, and Bledsoe will have to take the court, which means that some unproven and fairly crappy players are going to get a lot of minutes. This seems like a pretty good place to banter back and forth about who is better. Hopefully Horny will be able to figure out who has the talent to contribute and starts moving this team in a postitive direction, but none of that will happen at least until training camp.

There is no sense in getting grouchy over people discussing which player is better. Discussing crappy players is going to happen on a crappy team's discussion board. Sadly, the Suns have become a crappy team.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
To borrow a phrase from cheesebeef, both Green and Marcus Morris suck out loud. I have slightly more interest in seeing Morris because he's not actively destructive to a team's offense. I don't care how athletic or exciting someone is, a journeyman wing who shot 37% from the field last year isn't anyone I want to see on my team, ever. Combine Green's terrible shooting percentages with his high turnover rate, and he has to be one of the least efficient offensive players in the entire league -- yes, even worse than Beasley.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
To borrow a phrase from cheesebeef, both Green and Marcus Morris suck out loud. I have slightly more interest in seeing Morris because he's not actively destructive to a team's offense. I don't care how athletic or exciting someone is, a journeyman wing who shot 37% from the field last year isn't anyone I want to see on my team, ever. Combine Green's terrible shooting percentages with his high turnover rate, and he has to be one of the least efficient offensive players in the entire league -- yes, even worse than Beasley.

Can you imagine Green and Brown on the court at the same time? :shock:

Errntknght

Reaction score
Last year we were a crappy team with bleak future - remember how we compared ourselves to our companions in Crapville and decided we had the bleakest future of all - because we had Robert Sarver sitting atop our pile of crap, thinking he was smelling roses.

Apparently the fumes got to him because he had the startling insight that a dedicated basketball man with a history of success might be the right choice to run things. Imagine that! We are still a crappy team but we're a much more youthful crappy team - and at the ideal time to be crappy.

Youth can surprise you, though - from one day to the next they can suddenly stop being crappy. IMO, we should do everything we can to offset that possibility. Despite his recent display of crappiness in Europe, Marcin still might play like a man in desperate search for validation (in NBA terms, that means money) when the season starts.

Errntknght

Reaction score
elindholm:
Combine Green's terrible shooting percentages with his high turnover rate, and he has to be one of the least efficient offensive players in the entire league -- yes, even worse than Beasley.

I have a formula that uses all aspects of offense available in typical stats to calculate an offensive efficiency rating. For all players with more than a thousand minutes last year Beasley was worst in the league and Green was second worst. Widening the scope to only 700 minutes required, Wes Johnson snuck in between them.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake