Press conference tonight

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PHOENIX - The Phoenix Suns will hold a press conference at 5:30 p.m. tonight in the Pacific Room on Level 0 at America West Arena prior to the Suns-Nets tipoff at 7 p.m. CEO and Managing General Partner Jerry Colangelo and President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo will be in attendance.

- Suns.com -

Any idea what this might be?

Mike

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Mike O is now in charge of media relations for the Suns, Chaplin has been made head coach, and Slin is made head of foreign scouting!! :D Me, I will take Cotton Fitsimmons job!! :D Four!!!

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
It could just be a season start thing. Im not sure if they have done it in years before.

There were a couple rumors that B. Knight was on his way out, but usually a trade leaks out before a press conference. I am betting it is just becuase it is the first pre season game

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bench players will now be in charge of selling tickets up until game time. :D

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yuma
Mike O is now in charge of media relations for the Suns, Chaplin has been made head coach, and Slin is made head of foreign scouting!! :D Me, I will take Cotton Fitsimmons job!! :D Four!!!

Not sure all that would suck, but Chap as head coach scares me :)

Mike

jimjames1

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I heard they're trading Scott Williams, Jake Voskhul, Zarko Carbakapa, Amare Stoudemire, and that Trysbanski guy for Earl Boykins and Leandro Barbosa.

Asked why they traded all their big men for 2 guards, Bryan Collangelo replied, "We want to run a lot."

Asked why one of the two guards was already a Sun, even before the trade, Collangelo deferred the question to Frank Johnson, who was stumped.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The previously announced "TJ Kidd bobblehead night" promotion has been cancelled. :D

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brian in Mesa
The previously announced "TJ Kidd bobblehead night" promotion has been cancelled. :D

LOL!!! :D

I think I read about this..
Yeah, here's the press release:

Phoenix fans lose their Heads
Small Town, USA
Normally packing 100 bobbleheads to a box, trouble began when the size difference of the new TJ Kidd bobblehead limited packers to 50 per box. This being against the Union contract, factory workers went on strike. When asked how the employees were dealing with this, one man said "They don't pay us enough to lift those &$#@ing things, that kid must have one huge head!" Because of the strike the Phoenix Suns were unable to recieve the order and the promotion is cancelled.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by KloD
LOL!!! :D

I think I read about this..
Yeah, here's the press release:

Phoenix fans lose their Heads
Small Town, USA
Normally packing 100 bobbleheads to a box, trouble began when the size difference of the new TJ Kidd bobblehead limited packers to 50 per box. This being against the Union contract, factory workers went on strike. When asked how the employees were dealing with this, one man said "They don't pay us enough to lift those &$#@ing things, that kid must have one huge head!" Because of the strike the Phoenix Suns were unable to recieve the order and the promotion is cancelled.

:biglaugh:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
How awesome would it be if he didn't get the max in order to help the team financially? :)

Shyeah. :p

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
How awesome would it be if he didn't get the max in order to help the team financially? :)

Shyeah. :p

I sure hope he didn't get that 5 year $100 million extension. I like Marbury and all, but there are only three or four players in the entire NBA good enough to get that much money (although I still think they are overpaid) and Marbury isn't one of them.

Joe Mama

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ive seen this kid in person severaltimes and damn he has a big head LOL:D LOL at this topic

KANIDJA

Registered
Reaction score
They just said on Channel 3 he got 5 years 100 millions. That's $20 mill per season. I think that is just too much. Him and Marion account for 50 % of entire team salary.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I hope that's wrong. It means that either the Colangelos have to be willing to spend a lot more, or the Suns' championship prospects are going to be very, very thin.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
like i said in the other thread, doesn't surprise me at all. we're in a position where we have to tie guys up long term, no matter what. a lot of peeps were down on marion's contract and a lot will be down on this one too. what i see is that we're in the midst of locking up all of young studs for years to come. that's awesome. it doesn't matter that only a few guys out there are worth these ridiculous contracts, the fact of the matter is, that the market dictates, and i'm sure other talent starved teams would make ridiculous offers to players of marion and marbs' stature.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
i'm sure other talent starved teams would make ridiculous offers to players of marion and marbs' stature.

This argument doesn't hold water. It would have been impossible for any other team to offer Marbury more than a regular max contract, no matter what their cap situation or how much they wanted him. I don't know exactly what a normal max contract will start at in 2005 (hcsilla?), but it sure as hell won't add up to $100 million over five years -- probably more like $75 million. So if the $100 million figure is correct, the Suns will be paying Marbury $25 million more over those five years than any other team would have been able to. $5 million a year could fetch one or two vital role players for a team trying to win a championship, but now that will not be possible.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ouchie-Z-Clown
like i said in the other thread, doesn't surprise me at all. we're in a position where we have to tie guys up long term, no matter what. a lot of peeps were down on marion's contract and a lot will be down on this one too. what i see is that we're in the midst of locking up all of young studs for years to come. that's awesome. it doesn't matter that only a few guys out there are worth these ridiculous contracts, the fact of the matter is, that the market dictates, and i'm sure other talent starved teams would make ridiculous offers to players of marion and marbs' stature.

I won't complain aslong as they lock up Amare as well!! If they can lock up him they can have a great Trio teamed together for a long time. And as soon as Googs and Penny's contracts run up, they will be able to get some good role players to put around this trio and have a very legitimate shot for a championship.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
And as soon as Googs and Penny's contracts run up, they will be able to get some good role players to put around this trio and have a very legitimate shot for a championship.

With what money?

If Marbury's extension is $100 million over five years, then his annual salary will look something like this:

2005-06: $16 million
2006-07: $18 million
2007-08: $20 million
2008-09: $22 million
2009-10: $24 million

That won't be exactly right, but it's close enough for discussion.

And Stoudemire will almost certainly be maxed out starting in 2006-07, so let's call that about $12 million to start -- another estimate, but not far off.

So, in 2006-07, which is the first year that Hardaway is off the books, we have these numbers for the big three:

Marbury: $18 million
Marion: $12.6 million
Stoudmire: $12 million

That's already $42.6 million, just in three players. It's speculation where the luxury tax line will be, but the Suns will have at most $15 million to work with for the entire rest of the team.

$15 million annually, to be spread among the following players:

Joe Johnson
Zarko Cabarkapa (let's be optimistic and say he becomes the starting PF/C, along Stoudemire)
sixth man, whoever it is
seventh man, whoever it is
eighth man, whoever it is
ninth man, whoever it is

and so on.

$15 million for two starters, three or four solid bench contributors, and a few insurance/third-stringers.

Good luck.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Since you're so disillusioned, Eric, there are plenty of teams around the league that need passionate fans. I suggest maybe looking to an organization that might not be so inept for your tastes.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure about this, but I don't think the whole amount counts against the cap. Doesn't he have Bird rights? As did Marion and so will Amare. How does that work? Otherwise wouldn't Jordan have been the whole amount of Chicago's cap when he made the 30 mil 5 years ago?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Since you're so disillusioned, Eric, there are plenty of teams around the league that need passionate fans. I suggest maybe looking to an organization that might not be so inept for your tastes.

Chaplin, if I had any choice in the matter, I would have stopped being a Suns fan by now.

But Phoenix will always be my home, regardless of where I live, and basketball will always be my sport, regardless of whether I can even walk (which right now I can't, thanks to Achilles tendon surgery). As a friend of mine once said, "You can't choose who you love." I'm stuck with the Suns, and that can be awfully frustrating, but I can't do anything about it.

And finally, the Suns organization is not "inept." They just have different priorities from what I might hope. I'd like them to do what they need to in order to compete for a title. They'd rather ensure 50-and-fade. It's a difference of philosophy, not competence.

Charles V

Registered
Reaction score
That's $20 mill per season. I think that is just too much. Him and Marion account for 50 % of entire team salary.

They also account for 50% of the team's production.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake