Profootball Focus: Re-Focused – Panthers @ Cardinals, Week 1

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Two teams that struggled badly in 2010 really stepped up to the plate in the opening game of the 2011 season and showed signs that this season could bring better things. At times in 2010 both the Cardinals and the Panthers looked atrocious and in need of a major overhaul, but both sides have made changes in the off-season and showed that they were ready to play. There were impressive debuts on both sides as well as some welcome returns to fine form.

Only one side could win obviously and the Cardinals got the job done in the home opener, however both sides have real positives to draw on from this game on both sides of the football. Clearly both sides have things to work on as well and one game between two teams that picked in the top 5 of the NFL draft isn’t enough to draw any firm conclusions, but that they looked capable on both sides of the ball is an early positive to draw for the fans and coaching staffs alike.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/09/15/re-focused-panthers-cardinals-week-1/

Overall nice review, and I agree that both the Cardinals and Panthers look like MUCH better teams than our matchup last season.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I agree our O looks improved, but the jury is still out on the D. Is it because we are still adjusting to Horton's scheme? Is it because our CB's are still learning and/or just not there yet? Or was it because we approached the game to shut down the run (perfectly reasonable) and Newton shocked the world with his arm?

I am psyched to see how the D responds this weekend. They need to make a giant leap forward.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Good fair analysis.

I cant belive Kolb isnt getting more love though, and part of that is righfully because of Newton. He was accurate both midrange and down field, and IMO had a great game. Very good start.

Everything I saw that he did that was questionable was more about feel and experience then anythign else.

VERY excited about KK.

Then again I have been known to get excited about Cardinals QB's unreasonably quickly in the past so take it with a grain of salt.....

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Our DL looked MUCH improved and MUCH deeper. All six DL's looked good to me. Our ILB's also looked good. Our CB's are young and inexperienced but there is a LOT of potential there. I am concerned by our OLB's and Safeties, but still feel good about our defense.

chickenhead

Reaction score
Obviously Kolb is being overshadowed by Newton's performance, but I also think the big story with Kolb was that he was unproven, and many will be interested in him only if he confirms what they've already been fed. If he plays reasonably well for a passing offense that is "supposed" to be good--it's just not as big a story given that it's Arizona and not Philly. But it'll be a big story for us!

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Good fair analysis.

I cant belive Kolb isnt getting more love though, and part of that is righfully because of Newton. He was accurate both midrange and down field, and IMO had a great game. Very good start.

Everything I saw that he did that was questionable was more about feel and experience then anythign else.

VERY excited about KK.

Then again I have been known to get excited about Cardinals QB's unreasonably quickly in the past so take it with a grain of salt.....

My bro rewatched the game and one of his takes is that while Newton has a strong arm, his receivers had to constantly adjust to his throws. He's not that accurate and a lot of his throws were high.

Still a great young talent, very impressed with him.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I also think the big story with Kolb was that he was unproven,

The big story with Kolb for us Cardinal fans was he wasn't throwing the ball into the ground 3 yards short or sailing it over the heads of his receivers.

And that there wasn't one post Monday that Kolb was a horrible QB.

:D

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
The nice thing about Kolb is the Cards team had ZERO drops in the game...

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good fair analysis.

VERY excited about KK.

Is Kevin Kasper back?

:D

azfan43

Rookie
Reaction score
Just like everyone else here, I can talk about all the little things in this game all day. But I think the shortest explanation on why we won is this:

It is unfortunate for Cam that this is a team sport. Sure he passed for an amazing amount of pass yards. But the passing yards we put up were respectable as well (Almost 900 yds total offense from both teams and we accounted for 400 of it). Their running game didn't produce. Ours did. Their special teams gave up a big play. The sack/pressure differential.

CAR did great in one aspect of the game. We did well in almost every aspect.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Just like everyone else here, I can talk about all the little things in this game all day. But I think the shortest explanation on why we won is this:

It is unfortunate for Cam that this is a team sport. Sure he passed for an amazing amount of pass yards. But the passing yards we put up were respectable as well (Almost 900 yds total offense from both teams and we accounted for 400 of it). Their running game didn't produce. Ours did. Their special teams gave up a big play. The sack/pressure differential.

CAR did great in one aspect of the game. We did well in almost every aspect.

They also had 11 penalties to our 6.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
AzCardinals vs Car Panters = highest rated NFL Replay game since they started doing it 4 years ago.

Probably due to Cam's performance than anything, but still...

Go Cards!!!

Also had the highest "Fan Rating" on nfl.com/scores of all the Sunday Games.

Reaction score
I agree, everybody is all crazy over Cam Newton. Did they not realize AZ won and Kevin Kolb looked very very good in his 1st performance? I think you guys are going places this season. 49ers and Hawks should not be any competition, and the Rams are beat up already.

Reaction score
I agree our O looks improved, but the jury is still out on the D. Is it because we are still adjusting to Horton's scheme? Is it because our CB's are still learning and/or just not there yet? Or was it because we approached the game to shut down the run (perfectly reasonable) and Newton shocked the world with his arm?
There is an article up on azcardinals.com that indicates that a big part of the Cardinals problems on defense were due to the secondary making errors in playing the scheme. ( http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and...ces-Back/516d2a89-b7cf-4d45-b906-89cbbb88dbc6 )

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
More praise from PFF. This is from their All PFF-Team Week One.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/09/15/all-pff-team-week-1/

Outside Linebackers (3-4): Mario Williams (+7.8), Houston Texans and Clark Haggans (+3.4), Arizona Cardinals
We’ll have to wait until he’s facing someone better than the combo of Jeff Linkenback and Dallas Clark (yep, the Colts thought it wise to leave Clark alone to handle Williams), to truly assess Williams’ impact as an OLB, but initial signs are very positive with 11 QB disruptions on the day. Haggans has long come in for criticism for his inability to get to the quarterback from the OLB spot. Well, it’s a new day in Arizona and Haggans responded by going to work on Jeff Otah to the tune of four pressures. Let’s see if he can keep it up.
Inside Linebackers (3-4): Daryl Washington (+6.0), Arizona Cardinals and Lawrence Timmons (+3.2), Pittsburgh Steelers
Washington looks like some player doesn’t he? It wasn’t just the sacks. It wasn’t just the defensive stops. It wasn’t even just the interception. It was his all-around game. He’s looked like a player since entering the league. As for Timmons, we all know he’s a special talent. He didn’t have his best game, but he’s a real force in the run game, coming up to make 10 defensive stops.