Q

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
B-Dogg said:
I agree I think if Q signs, Marion will deffinately get moved with a pick for a center, who is the question?

Its also possible that they stick it out this year with who they have (since there aren't that many above average centers available) and then have JJ go in a sign-and-trade for a center.

Maybe like Ouchie said they go after Dampier now. Who knows?

But one thing is for certain, we need to hope/pray that Kobe doesn't make up his mind until after the 15 days are up (July 29th)

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Why sign and trade JJ? Just keep him and use the MLE to overpay for a center if needed.

And likely we will have Chicagos draft pick and ours next season. We should get a center next year.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Dr. Dumas said:
Wow-I sure hope this goes through. We will have one fast, athletic team.
Just bring in any center (insert here) who can run the floor half way decent and we should be good to go.

If we signed Q, would will still have any left for Mcdyess?

Doubtful, but possible

Any word on how long the contract is for?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Dr. Dumas said:
How is Q's defense? I didn't get to see many Clippers games last year.

Same as JJ. Maybe a bit better. He is a good defender, imo.

He always seems to do real well against the suns.

Last edited:

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
slinslin said:
Why sign and trade JJ? Just keep him and use the MLE to overpay for a center if needed.

And thats another possibility. The only possible problem would be if we became the Trailblazers of a few years ago where we had a ton of good players all asking for playing time.

And likely we will have Chicagos draft pick and ours next season. We should get a center next year.

Exactly.

If we can't re-sign Dice, we go for Scott Williams on a one year deal for the vet min this year. Then we let things settle out for the Center position next year via trade, draft, or FA (the MLE).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I wouldn't call him a good defender. He's probably more adequate, but he's definitely a "style over substance" guy. Definitely someone who can put up points in a hurry, and he's a fairly decent rebounder.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
and he's a fairly decent rebounder.

4th best among players at 6'7 or under. Jason Richardson averages 0.3rpg more, Pierce 0.1rpg more and Marion of course. And he plays less minutes than those guys.

Dr. Dumas

Registered
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I wouldn't call him a good defender. He's probably more adequate, but he's definitely a "style over substance" guy. Definitely someone who can put up points in a hurry, and he's a fairly decent rebounder.

Please put him in comparison to a Suns player of past or present regarding defense. I'm having a hard time remembering his playing style. I thought that he was really athletic and is not afraid to drive to the hole. Is this correct? Your opinion would be great.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Dr. Dumas said:
Please put him in comparison to a Suns player of past or present regarding defense. I'm having a hard time remembering his playing style. I thought that he was really athletic and is not afraid to drive to the hole. Is this correct? Your opinion would be great.

He's very athletic, I think he'd be a terrific addition to the team--I'm on the fence about whether or not we actually need a player like him, but he'll certainly fit. He's not a shooter, so he will definitely be a slasher type--a smaller version of Marion.

Defensively, I would suppose he is close to Joe Johnson, but he doesn't have the statistics to back that up.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Defensively, I would suppose he is close to Joe Johnson, but he doesn't have the statistics to back that up.

What statistics back up defensive? Steals? If so JJ doesn't have the stats either.

scudney

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... I don't know how I feel about this yet. To me it seems like JJ's and Q's games are the same. I was hoping for someone who could hit open 3's all the time.

Has it been reported how many years yet?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
why would q give up a starting spot elsewhere to be a backup (potentially) here? nahgonnahappen.

Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
i think the only legit reason is kobe to the clips. if that doesn't happen he'll get his cash from the clips where he's GUARANTEED to start and doesn't have to battle JJ, so that eliminates (A) and (C). and maybe i'm jaded, but i just don't see much (B) outta most younger players these days - only older players who have missed the playoffs and/or championships tend to base their decisions on winning. (D) just doesn't seem to exist either - see al harrington as the posterboy for the destruction of the (D)-myth. and (E), by itself, is a looooooooong stretch. that's why i think it'll be (F) - he's not coming unless we've traded jj or marion to open a slot for him.

:thumbup: :wave:

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
scudney said:
Hmm... I don't know how I feel about this yet. To me it seems like JJ's and Q's games are the same. I was hoping for someone who could hit open 3's all the time.

Has it been reported how many years yet?

Not yet, just the value of the deal has been reported

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
6 years definately starting at ~6.5M$

Depending on where they are setting the cap McDyess isn't coming back if he doesn't agree to the veteran minimum.

Come on Dice. Agree to a 1 year deal and we promise to give you the MLE next year.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
JJ for Nene could work (Slinslin's idea) but I'd like to keep JJ and Q (Marion as well) - Q did shoot better than JJ and Marion from 3PTers and makes a lot more as well - I still think Q should be a 6th man though and would fit well there. I wouldn't want to see JJ traded (he's 1 of my favorites)...

cly2tw

Reaction score
Q is a great fit and even more importantly will be a great trade value down the line. Anyone already forgotten what were the problems with Googs and Penny here? We couldn't trade them for anything after they signed! This is not the case with Q. I'm not saying we sign him to trade him away, but this should be considered in the deal.

It's good signing to force Clippers' and thus Kobe's hand. Since Lakers may not have enough time to get a good Shaq trade down, Kobe will have to decide within 14 days whether he wants to stay with the Lakers and risking that Shaq won't be gone, or going to Clippers instead. Anyway, if Clippers match for Q, we'd have a better chance to still land Kobe. :thumbup:

cly2tw

Reaction score
slinslin said:
6 years definately starting at ~6.5M$

Depending on where they are setting the cap McDyess isn't coming back if he doesn't agree to the veteran minimum.

Come on Dice. Agree to a 1 year deal and we promise to give you the MLE next year.

We don't even need to promise him that. If we don't renounce him but sign him to 1mil for one year, we'd still have his Bird right. Besides, given the Morning desaster nobody is gonna give him the MLE this year. So, he gotta prove himself one full season that he is still healthy and worth the money. Where is it better to do so than with the Suns in the current constellation?

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It could be that Q could be traded as well. This just gives us more trade material. Say Denver offers Martin a contract that is not matched by NJ and the Ginobli offer is matched by SA, then maybe Denver may make a Nene and fillers for Q trade.

Or it could be that Q ends up wherever Darius Miles ends up if Portland does not match.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Q-Rich is like a poor man's Ron Artest on offense. He's brutal in the post (in a good way), takes a bunch of threes, and doesn't play with a lot of discipline.

He's no Artest on defense, of course. From what little I've seen of him, though, he's pretty good for a Clipper. :p

This is kind of an ugly pickup, in that it takes the beautiful little rotation the Suns were developing and throws a huge monkey wrench right in the middle. There's no way for Q-Rich to get 30 mpg without several players making adjustments in their roles (and probably at least one player gets dropped from the rotation entirely). The guys who are losing minutes are far more efficient scorers than Q-Rich, as well.

Remember what D'Antoni said about depth solving the team's problems on defense? Maybe that's the thinking here: competition for minutes is going to be so intense that D'Antoni won't have to play anybody who's not playing effective D. (On the other hand, the Suns have developing players who still need minutes to develop, and now they don't have the minutes, so how are they going to develop?)

Well, if I needed any confirmation that Robert Sarver had an open-checkbook policy, here it is--the Suns just committed to 6 years at over $8m/year for a player they don't need. I wonder what the team's yearly budget is going to be--$60m? $70m? :confused:

I guess (like the Pacers) the Suns have a whole bunch of trade bait now, if the Clips don't match anyway. I would love it if Q-Rich was the first guy on the trading block, but I'm guessing there are BYC issues and he's not.

Maybe the Eisley/Joe Johnson package we've been kicking around makes sense now. If they keep Joe J, the Suns are looking at Cuban-type balance sheets within a few years. :shrug:

Maximus

Reaction score
The Colangelos are wreaking havoc on potential Shaq and Kobe moves. By signing Nash, they force Cuban out of his trade bait. By signing Q, they put the Clips into a tough position. Clippers now have to judge their confidence level at getting Kobe, just like the poster before me said (sorry, haven't figured out how to quote you). ;) If they feel lucky, let Q go. Otherwise, sign him, and reduce your shot at Kobe.

Not sure if this is intentional hardball, but the Colangelo's are playing some pretty good poker.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05