Question for Skkorp

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Jim, as you know we are all rooting for your complete recovery. But when you return to the board please don't forget to answer the question about what Rod Graves thinks of Josh Mc Cown.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rod Graves had severe doubts about Josh McCown's ability to handle the mental and emotional - particularly the emotional - demands of the QB postion.

Based on Josh's play the last few games, where he overcame some real screwups, Josh saved his job - as a backup. If he is to be a starter, he'll need another shot.

If a franchise QB is available in the draft, I think the Cards would take him and dump Preston Parsons.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Skkorpion
Rod Graves had severe doubts about Josh McCown's ability to handle the mental and emotional - particularly the emotional - demands of the QB postion.

Based on Josh's play the last few games, where he overcame some real screwups, Josh saved his job - as a backup. If he is to be a starter, he'll need another shot.

If a franchise QB is available in the draft, I think the Cards would take him and dump Preston Parsons.

Groovy, baby, yeah!

shoe

Rookie
Reaction score
Skkorp-

Dumping Preston is fine......yet is this due to his lack of ability in practice,is he not a good student of the game, or does he just lack the physical skills to make it in the NFL????????????.....before I ramble further WHAT...WHAT is the thought process of the cards organization with these young QB's?

Also...what made coach Mac and staff go with Josh at the end of the year? Was that all Mac or was that Graves saying lets see what we got with the third round pick?

any chance of Preston in Europe?

Last edited:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shoe - I can answer your question on McCown only by leaning on Kent Somers' info. Rod did not tell me who decided to play McCown. Kent wrote a while back that Rod Graves had pushed it.

Rod did tell me before the Minnesota game that it had become clear that Josh improved a lot in a short two games.

wierwolf

Koolaid Guzzler
Reaction score
i am just wandering why Preston never got even a shot to compete at the end. He did good in the preseason and every other chance prior. But never got that chance this year. he is looking to be the odd man out sorry to say.

lrk27

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by wierwolf
i am just wandering why Preston never got even a shot to compete at the end. He did good in the preseason and every other chance prior. But never got that chance this year. he is looking to be the odd man out sorry to say.

Rod Graves and Michael Bidwill called late in the year for Mac to play McCown because they wanted to evaluate whether or not he could be a starting QB in this league or if they wanted to draft a QB this year. Preston never proved over the course of his time with the Cards that he was close to being a starter. Game time is not the time to see if someone has what it takes to be a backup. Preston had a good preseason, but remember, he did it in the fourth quarter against third string DLs and DBs. He just never caught up to the speed of the game at the NFL level. The game gets faster, but he never adjusted and has trouble making quick decisions.

It was managements call to play McCown. Mac was trying to save his job and holding off on playing him as long as possible. This is why over the course of one week you heard Mac go from "we can still win, we have to play Jeff" to "we're gonna go with Josh to see what he can do." You don't just do a 360 like that. Mac was told who to play late in the season for the good of the franchise. I think that Rod and Michael like Josh enough to be the backup once again, but Denny will want to go with Jeff. Like Skkorp said, Josh will have to win the starting job, and I think he'll have that chance in camp. There should be open competition for the starting job in Flagstaff this year.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Thanks guys!.

God I love this website.

That is what I was thinking, Mac wasn't going to play Josh cause he NEEDED to win.

I think Josh did O.K.

I think if we take one of the QB's, we will actually have an NFL trio. Seasoned Vet. Young Backup with promise and future phenom.

Blake retires, McCown and the Rookie fight it out the Next Preseason and the best man wins.

Either at least McCown has NFL experience and has shown he can produce on an average level.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Originally posted by lrk27
It was managements call to play McCown. Mac was trying to save his job and holding off on playing him as long as possible. This is why over the course of one week you heard Mac go from "we can still win, we have to play Jeff" to "we're gonna go with Josh to see what he can do." You don't just do a 360 like that.

Don't you mean do a 180? Because if he did a 360 he'd go in a circle and be right back where he started. :p

lrk27

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Evil Ash
Don't you mean do a 180? Because if he did a 360 he'd go in a circle and be right back where he started. :p

Basic geometry, another ineptitude of the former coaching staff.