Raja Bell- the newest sun

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yuma said:
The guy has a very sucessful banking and real estate company. He knows how to run a business. If he thinks there is some chaff in the offices, I am willing to respect his judgement. :thumbup:

and what about being the only NBA team to only have the minimum on it's bench?

I can respect Sraver's business dealings - the guy is obviously INCREDIBLY gifted as far as that arena is - but so is Donald Sterling. The key to the NBA is being business and game savvy. It looks so far like Sraver is both, but it's not a stretch to be somewhat leery considering a couple things that have transpired.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

I can respect Sraver's business dealings - the guy is obviously INCREDIBLY gifted as far as that arena is - but so is Donald Sterling. The key to the NBA is being business and game savvy. It looks so far like Sraver is both, but it's not a stretch to be somewhat leery considering a couple things that have transpired.

Why pay someone to just sit and not play? The suns didn't even use the players that sat on the bench as it is. Who else was out there to sit on our bench?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SweetD said:
Why pay someone to just sit and not play? The suns didn't even use the players that sat on the bench as it is. Who else was out there to sit on our bench?

So the rest of the NBA is wrong and we are right on this one? I gotta believe there is a reason most NBA teams max out how many guys they can have on the roster - just for practice purposes alone.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

i think he got lucky so far (as far as the team goes). nobody thought that the team would turn around this fast. the only scary thing is he might be a little spoiled. to come in and in your first year go from 29 wins to 62 is just incredible. i dont think he had much to do with that. but he has come out looking good though. i think he has let BC make most of the calls that relate to the court.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ugh - I really hope this thread doesn't spiral into a YOU THINK SARVER'S CHEAP discussion when in reality, I don't know if he is or not but I WAS commending him on how he and BC were putting this team together so far.

Reaction score
Update: Raja Bell signs with Suns The Salt Lake Tribune

Euphoria surrounding the Utah Jazz's pickup in the NBA draft of Illinois point guard Deron was dampened Friday afternoon with an announcement from Jazz guard Raja Bell that he will sign a free-agent contract with the Phoenix Suns.
Bell confirmed to ESPN and The Salt Lake Tribune that he has signed a five-year deal with the Suns, a contract the Jazz apparently were not willing to match. Because Bell is eligible to receive most of the mid-level exception, his deal with the Suns is believed to be in the $25-28 million range. Jazz senior vice president of basketball operations Kevin O'Connor
confirmed that Bell has indeed signed with the Suns.

In Friday's editions of The Tribune, Bell's agent, Herb Rudoy, said he expected 8-10 teams to contact the player on Friday morning, the first day NBA teams were allowed to talk to free agents.
LINK

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
ugh - I really hope this thread doesn't spiral into a YOU THINK SARVER'S CHEAP discussion when in reality, I don't know if he is or not but I WAS commending him on how he and BC were putting this team together so far.

Well...if those #'s are right...Sarver's definately NOT cheap.

:eek:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
myrondizzo said:
i hope the number are off

yowzah! That's a lot of coin if the numbers are right. I was hoping he had signed for more around 2.5/year.

I REALLY hope we're gonna somehow get another servicable BIG in here.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
myrondizzo said:
he is an UFA so how could the Jazz match?

Well, not match, but the Jazz werent willing to up their offer.

Players usually inform their old team of their new pending deal to see if the old team wants to up their offer.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
25-28 Million WOW! That is just crazy talk

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
I hope they are wrong.

I think they are saying that is the HIGHEST contract he could have signed...

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
i've heard the same thing from a couple people working in the biz who deal with the Suns.

As have I. I have heard that he doesn't think that advance scouts need to travel since they can watch the games on NBA league pass at home.

About the signing. I don't mind it. The only person I would have really wanted the team to throw the full MLE at was Stromile Swift. Other than that, I feel the team could add 2 players for the price of one - without a huge drop off in production (and adding depth). I was never big on a SAR or Marshall signing.

If we were to walk away from this summer with Payton and Bell splitting the MLE - I would be pretty happy.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
I hope they are wrong.

I think they are saying that is the HIGHEST contract he could have signed...

yeah - that's right - they are assuming he signed for the entire thing - something contrary to what we heard earlier - I hope what we heard earlier was right.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
This confirms the money aspect of the deal (He's going to get most of the MLE):

Paul Coro
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0701bell-ON.html

Phoenix continued to get more hard-nosed on Friday, agreeing to terms with free-agent shooting guard Raja Bell before power forward Kurt Thomas was officially introduced at a midday press conference.

"I'm elated to have an opportunity to come there and play with that cast," Bell told The Arizona Republic. "I think I can add to an already great team. I just want to come in and help, whatever it takes."

Bell, 28, will sign a four or five-year deal when the free-agency moratorium is lifted July.22, according to two industry sources.

Bell was the Suns' primary target in the free agency recruiting period that began at 9 p.m., Arizona time, yesterday. Phoenix will use all or most of its $5 million mid-level exception to sign Bell, a Florida International product who averaged a career high 12.3 points last season.

"It was an opportunity I couldn't pass up," Bell said.

Suns President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo could not comment on Friday because Bell is a free agent.

Bell's shooting has improved tremendously in recent years, starting when he played with Steve Nash in Dallas for the 2002-03 season. He hit 40.3 percent of his three-point tries in Utah last season as a part-time starter and co-captain.

He could be considered Quentin Richardson's replacement, although he is more likely to come off the bench with Kurt Thomas starting on the front line instead of Richardson. Bell is a faster wing player than Richardson is, shoots well and gives Phoenix a better defensive presence against players such as San Antonio's Manu Ginobili.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
As have I. I have heard that he doesn't think that advance scouts need to travel since they can watch the games on NBA league pass at home.

that's actually more troubling than anything else I've heard.

Last edited:

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
dang I guess if Eisley could get that much why not Bell

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
This confirms the money aspect of the deal (He's going to get most of the MLE):

Paul Coro
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0701bell-ON.html

Phoenix continued to get more hard-nosed on Friday, agreeing to terms with free-agent shooting guard Raja Bell before power forward Kurt Thomas was officially introduced at a midday press conference.

"I'm elated to have an opportunity to come there and play with that cast," Bell told The Arizona Republic. "I think I can add to an already great team. I just want to come in and help, whatever it takes."

Bell, 28, will sign a four or five-year deal when the free-agency moratorium is lifted July.22, according to two industry sources.

Bell was the Suns' primary target in the free agency recruiting period that began at 9 p.m., Arizona time, yesterday. Phoenix will use all or most of its $5 million mid-level exception to sign Bell, a Florida International product who averaged a career high 12.3 points last season.

"It was an opportunity I couldn't pass up," Bell said.

Suns President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo could not comment on Friday because Bell is a free agent.

Bell's shooting has improved tremendously in recent years, starting when he played with Steve Nash in Dallas for the 2002-03 season. He hit 40.3 percent of his three-point tries in Utah last season as a part-time starter and co-captain.

He could be considered Quentin Richardson's replacement, although he is more likely to come off the bench with Kurt Thomas starting on the front line instead of Richardson. Bell is a faster wing player than Richardson is, shoots well and gives Phoenix a better defensive presence against players such as San Antonio's Manu Ginobili.

okay - this frightens me a little. It's weird - I like the players they're bringing in, but I think we're paying an pretty steep price for them - and we still have no depth at the 4 or 5 - which is the BIGGEST concern that the team had and apparently still has. Who the hell are we gonna get as depth for the 1.7 exception? One of the waived guys?

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
okay - this frightens me a little. It's weird - I like the players they're bringing in, but I think we're paying an pretty steep price for them - and we still have no depth at the 4 or 5 - which is the BIGGEST concern that the team had and apparently still has. Who the hell are we gonna get as depth for the 1.7 exception? One of the waived guys?

Maybe they are trying to force Hunter to take less then what he wants??? :shrug::shrug:

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

Beg to Steven Hunter

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SweetD said:
Maybe they are trying to force Hunter to take less then what he wants??? :shrug::shrug:

boy I hope that works - if it doesn't, I don't think it leaves us in a much better position than last year.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
So who would compare to Bell? I thought maybe Bruce Bowen which would be right on par for the amount Bell got. Not sure if he is the shut down type as Bowen??

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SweetD said:
So who would compare to Bell? I thought maybe Bruce Bowen which would be right on par for the amount Bell got.

Is Bell THAT good of a stopper? Bowen can also afford to play the way he does because IF someone gets passed him, there's a couple 7 Footers waiting to send that guy's crap back in his face. We still need one of those - not panicking - I know FA is only a couple hours old, but with most of our cash going to Bell, it doesn't leave much for a decent shot-blocker. Hopefully Hunter realizes he priced himself out of the market and we can sign him. Then all will be good.