Raja Bell- the newest sun

cly2tw

Reaction score
Free agent frenzy: Signing Bell atop team's priority list

By Tim Buckley
Deseret Morning News

Now that the draft is done, the bell has rung, signaling the opening of the NBA's summer free-agency market.
Photo
Raja Bell
When it did, owner Larry H. Miller and the rest of Jazz brass said, beginning the bid to re-sign unrestricted free agent shooting guard Raja Bell was high atop the team's to-do list.
"We'd like to have Raja back," Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said. "We like Raja. We love Raja Bell, the way he plays. He plays hard."
"Raja's a priority," added Kevin O'Connor, the Jazz's senior vice president of basketball operations. "We enjoy what he brings to the table, and we'd like to have him back. We appreciate what he does for us."
Whether the monetary expression of that appreciation will be enough to convince Bell to stay remains to be seen, as the 28-year-old Jazz co-captain figures to draw interest from numerous suitors, including New Jersey, Phoenix and perhaps Chicago.
But it's not, Bell has said, all about the big bucks.
"I'm not looking to go and rob anybody," he said when the 2004-05 season ended in April. "I don't want to be one of those guys that is holding out and asking for $100,000 more.
"I'd like to play for my market value," Bell added. "It's not solely 'who is the highest bidder' for me."
The lure of stability, though, will have plenty of pull.
Sioux Falls of the IBL. Yakima of the CBA. The tail end of one season and all of another with Philadelphia. One in Dallas, then the past two in Utah.
Bell really is ready for the merry-go-round to slow.
"I would be looking for something that would keep me in a place for a few years," said Bell, a U.S. Virgin Islands native and Miami high school product who played his first two college seasons at Boston University and his final two at Florida International. "I don't want another one-year, two-year deal. So that will be a major factor.
"The money — that will take care of itself. I'll let the general managers and my agent slug it out, and I'll be happy with whatever. The money I made this year (reportedly $1.32 million) was incredible compared to where I came from, so I'll be OK."
Bell suggested the Jazz, who gave him a two-year deal when no other NBA team would, do have something of an inside edge.
"That," he said, "is one of the reasons I'd like to stay in Utah — because when I came out of Dallas, even though I didn't have a lot of numbers, I thought that being on winning teams and playing the role I was asked to play would get me somewhere I wanted to be. And Utah was the only team that saw that in me.
"I think the future here is really, really bright — and I want to be a part of it."
Bell averaged 12.3 points per game as a part-time starter with the Jazz this past season.
Again, though, statistics do not tell the whole story.
He was a team leader, often outspoken, calling out teammates when others would not, but trying to do it in a constructive rather than a destructive manner.
Some on the roster may have tuned him out by the time a frustrating season was done, but his words were heard loud and clear by those who control the checkbook.
"We all like him," Miller said. "He's got a toughness about him that I think we need. . . . We like his attitude. You know, he's helped the team a lot in the time he's been here."
Miller calls him "instant offense . . . kind of like John Drew used to be 15 years ago (actually, 20) — off the bench, bam, there could be four or six points in about two minutes."
Sloan particularly appreciated the fact Bell contributed as much when he was asked to play a sixth-man role as he did when he was starting.
Added O'Connor: "As far as his effort goes — and that's the most important thing that we try to evaluate right know — we've never had a problem with how he's played."
The Jazz are now free to negotiate with Bell and other free agents. Oral agreements can be made, but no contracts can be signed until July 22.
At that time, Bell's autograph is one O'Connor hopes to add to his collection.
"We would like to have Raja back, period," the Jazz basketball boss said. "Now, he's got to make a decision on whether that's what he wants. He's got to look at what's best for his future.
"But . . . we want him back."

I like him already even more than before, as the first to suggest persuing him in FA. ;) :thumbup:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We went through this a year ago when the Suns entered the off season with Amare, Jake and small ball. The Suns discovered Hunter and got by.

This year they have Amare, KT, Jake and small ball. Assuming Bell replaces Q and KT replaces Hunter, the Suns appear to be a much better team because of the enhanced defense even if they do little else.

BTW, we've generally been assuming the Suns are working from the MLE and LLE. However, we don't know where the cap is. HoopsHype shows the Suns with salaries totallin $45.078 due to Bo, Shirley, and Walter being gone. JJ has a cap hold of $3.2 million. If as suspected the cap will be raised to over $51 million, the Suns may be working from real cap space rather than excemptions.

How does that matter? It is possible the amount of cap space the Suns have is greater than the MLE, perhaps by as much as $1 million. Also, if the Suns traded Jake to a team with lots of cap space like Atlanta and sent them the cash to cover his salary, it would free up another $1.9 million in cap space. If the Suns were over the cap, then the $1.9 wouldn't do them much good since a trade exemption that low wouldn't help. But adding $1.9 to their cap space would be absolutely huge.

I'm probably wrong, but it is not entirely out of the question.

cly2tw

Reaction score
If report was true that Jazz offered him 4mil a year, then I could guess that we had a deal with him starting in the 3.5mil range to allow us have 1.5-6mil left from the MLE to persue other leftover FAs. Due to our attractiveness, whoever has to consider the LLE might want to come to us first, so that we kind of got the first two picks among those FAs. Bell mentioned that he was not the gready guy, so there is hope that my guess is not far off.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
We'll see about the money, but the nice thing is that the Suns identified their problem and are going about fixing it. This team is getting tougher, and I think guys like Thomas and Bell will help guys like Marion and Amare learn tricks of the trade, like how to get away with stuff on the defensive end and while crashing the boards. :thumbup:

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
playstation said:
everyone associated with watching bell at all has said the same thing: this guy is starter quality.

HOWEVER, assuming the Suns used most/all the MLE to get him, that's gotta be an admission of continuing with the small ball style. Hell, Bell might just be our 5th starter, with KT backing up marion & amare (playing Hunter's role).

Obviously, I hope that HoopsWorld article was more on the money.

A couple days ago someone quoted BC as saying they needed to 'churn' the bench. That must mean they had more in mind than one guy with the whole MLE.

One more thing, Nash and Bell are good buds from their Dallas days, and Bell takes LESS money (maybe) to come play here? Folster, I gotta give you some credit for at least bringing up the possibility.

Im going to be really pissed if they brought in a guy like Thomas to play Hunter's measly 8-10 min a game. REALLY pissed.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
Im going to be really pissed if they brought in a guy like Thomas to play Hunter's measly 8-10 min a game. REALLY pissed.

No, but unless the Suns get another big man for the rotation, they will be in a small ball configuration about half the time: Here is a small ball lineup

Stoudemire 36
Thomas 36
Johnson 36
Marion 36
Nash 30
Jackson 25
Bell 25
Barbosa 16

In this lineup, the Suns always have either Amare or Thomas on the court; but 24 minutes when one or the other is on the bench. Marion drops from 40 minutes at PF to 24. If Barbosa struggles, then the extra minutes are divided between JJax, Bell, and the starters.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Raja is a good signing - and a good sign. He was one of the players whose signing I thought would indicate the Suns were trying to improve defensively so I'm doubly happy with this move.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
so as of now, you can potentially have jj on parker, bell on ginobili, matrix roaming/guarding bowen, KT on Timmy, and Amare on Nazr. This is actually way more palatable. The best thing I see on looking at that is the hope of only 1 shot. If you stop the offensive rebounding, you've really handcuffed them pretty good.

We still can't stop Tim, but we can make it much more difficult on the other guys. Either way, our ineffectiveness against Tim far outclasses their ineffectiveness on Amare lol.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I watched some of a Suns/Jazz game and man Bell was active... I'm not sure, he's a shut down defender (JJ was scoring alright) but he helps out a lot (broke up 3 alley oops) and can defend...

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
playstation said:
so as of now, you can potentially have jj on parker, bell on ginobili, matrix roaming/guarding bowen, KT on Timmy, and Amare on Nazr. This is actually way more palatable. The best thing I see on looking at that is the hope of only 1 shot. If you stop the offensive rebounding, you've really handcuffed them pretty good.

We still can't stop Tim, but we can make it much more difficult on the other guys. Either way, our ineffectiveness against Tim far outclasses their ineffectiveness on Amare lol.

Kurt has always been soild when guarding Tim but yes the defensive options are far better for next year than what we saw in the conference finals.

I'm interested what else we do for free-agency. I'm 100% the management aren't finished yet.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
HoopsHype shows the Suns with salaries totallin $45.078

Hoopshype shows Johnson's qualifying offer, not his cap hold. His cap hold is 200% of his last year's salary, which is about $4.7 million. Also, their total at the bottom of the column does not include any amount for Johnson (do the math). Finally, the amount for Eisley is too high, assuming that his buyout was for less than his total salary.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
elindholm said:
HoopsHype shows the Suns with salaries totallin $45.078

Hoopshype shows Johnson's qualifying offer, not his cap hold. His cap hold is 200% of his last year's salary, which is about $4.7 million. Also, their total at the bottom of the column does not include any amount for Johnson (do the math). Finally, the amount for Eisley is too high, assuming that his buyout was for less than his total salary.

thankyou for clearing that up. I've been saying for two years I wish there was a better chart. Patricia's is more accurate but not useful for these purposes.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Everyone here knows I've been wondering about Lonnie Jones since last summer. I would love to know what happened to this guy.

Here's Lonnie Jones' NBDL profile along with his profiles on HoopsHype and RealGM

One assessment:
Great shot blocker... Long and athletic... No offensive game.

He's more than likely bounced around due to his offensive deficiencies, but of course that is rather moot when it applies to the Suns......

He would be an excellent situational/role player who would provide a dimension the Suns really lacked (besides Hunter) off the bench last season..
He's still relatively young, so could be "coached-up" quite a bit and I wouldnt be shocked if he's the type that would get extremely motivated if he's ever under a role that's best suited for him without so much emphasis on him trying to develop an offense, but he would be freed-up to do what he's at his best at doing.... BLOCKING SHOTS..... Could be an inside defensive force the Suns have been lacking....

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
KLL said:
He's more than likely bounced around due to his offensive deficiencies, but of course that is rather moot when it applies to the Suns......

He would be an excellent situational/role player who would provide a dimension the Suns really lacked (besides Hunter) off the bench last season..
He's still relatively young, so could be "coached-up" quite a bit and I wouldnt be shocked if he's the type that would get extremely motivated if he's ever under a role that's best suited for him without so much emphasis on him trying to develop an offense, but he would be freed-up to do what he's at his best at doing.... BLOCKING SHOTS..... Could be an inside defensive force the Suns have been lacking....

He's also strong on the boards. We'll have to see if he shows up on some other summer league team. After all, we all know that just because someone plays for a certain team in the summer league that doesn't stop another team from signing them for the season.

Joe Mama

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
He's also strong on the boards. We'll have to see if he shows up on some other summer league team. After all, we all know that just because someone plays for a certain team in the summer league that doesn't stop another team from signing them for the season.

Joe Mama

Yeah... I'm not saying if the Suns acquired him that he would play a considerable amount of minutes, but I'd much rather have him on the roster than let's say a Paul Shirley and Bo Outlaw for example because Jones could be used in situations that it warrants... Such as when they need someone at times to counter Duncan, Yao, Garnett, etc..that Jones would be called-up to try to alter their shot.....

I would acquire Jones even if Hunter re-signed with the Suns since they could create one of the best shot-blocking tandems in the league... Also.. Jones could be that bruiser the Suns need (along with now KT) to prevent the opposition from constantly battering Amare, Nash, JJ, and Marion....

He's worth a shot since the risk would be so slow...and especially since he would be cheap....

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Ok i have read this entire thread and i will now give my two cents. I will be citing past posts but i am WAY too lazy on this hungover saturday to cut and paste so you will have to make do.....

About the post in how JJ went from dispensible to one of our most important players in 18 months....well then i wonder if you had been watching the same suns team for the last three seasons..JJ was like 21 when he came here as he came out a sophmore from arkansas and was injured his second year after much hype going into that second year. All the guy needed was time to develop. While i worried about if he was competitive enough at times i adored his skill set and you could tell he was getting more confidence esp as steph was traded away. Infact Amare was out, steph was gone and with JJ getting the bulk of the shots he averaged like 25 some odd points over that span. It was only like 12 games but i remember penny giving a quote saying "he was like mcgrady and pierce in that if you give him a volume of shots he is a guaranteed 25 points a game. And this is at 22!!! The best part was once Amare came back he immeditly defferred and allowed STAT his rightful place on the team. Listen even with the MVP he is the second most valuable commodity on our roster and you just had to watch the smoothness in his game and how he was developing to see how in a season or two he would be one of the 25 best players in the league (see sports guy NBA trade value article for more national credibility on this subject)....

Robert sarver does worry me a little bit. I thank god everyday since he has bought the suns (as a sterling type owner could have come in) and i thanked him personally when i saw him at a miami heat game when the suns came out to south beach (i recently moved after 12 years in the valley) I am starting to realize he is not the Mark Cuban/stienbrenner i was hoping he was with some of the odd things i have heard he has decided to cut costs with. I will never begrudge a business man for trying to make money but i wish some oil magnate would have bought the suns and just dumped money into the team like it was out of style. Oh well. at least he is not letting our guys get away so when it comes down to it i am happy he bought the team. Hopefully with his company going public a couple days back, extra cash will roll in....

and finally raja bell. I do like this signing as i know how good of a defender we got and i love that we are not going for name guys but dirty work players who will get us to the next level. I think we need another big but i wouldnt be too dissapointed if it was hunter. i really wish we would have picked up a taft or simien b/c we would not get better production for the money. at least they would have been extra big bodies w/ the possibility of getting better. Saying that we better get one more player since we have been devoting all our time to this FA period.

And for the lovers of small ball (dantoni likes skill ball better) it is not out the door but you are kidding yourself if you think marion is starting at power forward. That was a mistake last year in the playoffs and the suns know it. there will be times when that lineup is out there, but count on thomas to get 35 minutes a night especially late when our defense will be more important when we are holding a lead...................

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
why would they offer 'most of the MLE'? I don't get it. what's the point of having an extra $1M of your MLE available? you can always sign someone for the vet min., which is at that price anyways. If its 5 yrs, $25M, as has been reported, this means you're starting at about $4.25M. The MLE is supposed to be around $5.5M. I mean, what's the point?

What plans do they have for the remainder, or did they just try to get their guy for less than the MLE and leave it at that?

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder if they can combine the remaining $1.25 million of the MLE and the LLE $1.6 million and give it to Hunter.......$2.85 million a year might be enough to keep him in PHX. They probably can't combine it or else other teams would combine the LLE & MLE to have $6.6/yr to offer 1 player.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
I'm starting to wonder if they can combine the remaining $1.25 million of the MLE and the LLE $1.6 million and give it to Hunter.......$2.85 million a year might be enough to keep him in PHX. They probably can't combine it or else other teams would combine the LLE & MLE to have $6.6/yr to offer 1 player.

I am sure that is not an option.

I too have been puzzled about the extra million or so other than economcis. One far fetched option is that the Suns might be keeping just a little caps space available for mid season if Vujanic recovers from his ACL injury.

Salary cap is not prorated. So if Vujanic came over in mid season, the Suns could still pay him $1 million or so even though he was available for just half the games. The amount the Suns could offer using MLE remainder would be much more than rookie minimum.

Let me repeat, this is far fetched, so telling me it's far fetched is not informative. Is it impossible?

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There's always the option of signing Jay Williams (assuming he's healthy like reported) and having $1.25 million to offer him would be a little better than the league minimum other teams would offer.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I am sure that is not an option.

I too have been puzzled about the extra million or so other than economcis. One far fetched option is that the Suns might be keeping just a little caps space available for mid season if Vujanic recovers from his ACL injury.

Salary cap is not prorated. So if Vujanic came over in mid season, the Suns could still pay him $1 million or so even though he was available for just half the games. The amount the Suns could offer using MLE remainder would be much more than rookie minimum.

Let me repeat, this is far fetched, so telling me it's far fetched is not informative. Is it impossible?

dude, i don't know if you thought of this beforehand, but that's really far fetched...

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about they don't want to overpay? They don't want his contract to be immovable in a few years.

Joe Mama

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05