Raja Bell- the newest sun

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
i know, but they don't necessarily know Raja's intentions, either. He could have easily said, 'yeah, but i'm going to see if someone will give me the full MLE', and now you've just insulted him (and maybe lost out on his services) for pretty much nothing.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
playstation said:
i know, but they don't necessarily know Raja's intentions, either. He could have easily said, 'yeah, but i'm going to see if someone will give me the full MLE', and now you've just insulted him (and maybe lost out on his services) for pretty much nothing.

:)

Well of course you don't come in to the negotiations and tell him that you are giving him a little less than the full mid-level exception because you are worried he might be untradable in a few years. You tell him that you need to save a little money to get some more help for the lineup or something like that.

Joe Mama

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
How about they don't want to overpay? They don't want his contract to be immovable in a few years.

Joe Mama

The Colangelo's understand how bidding wars work, and this is how they avoid them.

Its the auction mentality. If you get two or three teams bidding and they go up incrementally, they will almost always spend more than they wanted to.

The Colangelo's determine ahead of time, the highest the are willing to go for a player. They then walk in an offer it. The player is stunned, the competition is stunned and usually they walk away with the player they want.

They've done this now with Tom Chambers, Steve Nash, Q (to a certain extent) and Bell. I love it.

I guarantee you that if we low-balled Bell, and let him start taking bids from elsewhere, we would have ended up spending more in the end. Yes, there is a chance we could have gotten him cheaper, but there is a greater chance that we would have had to pay more, or not gotten him at all.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05