Rank the Current NFC West Starting QBs: 1-4

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Now that Skelton and Wilson have won their respective competitions, we know who the NFC West QBs are going to be (at least for the opener). This is certainly not an exciting group of QBs we're discussing here, but this is a challenging topic, nonetheless.

I'll add more context later, but here's my order:

1. Sam Bradford
2. John Skelton
3. Alex Smith
4. Russell Wilson

What say you?

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
SMITH (was best last year)
BRADFORD (SHOULD BE BEST, MADE OF GLASS)
SKELTON (Great potential, still raw, and like his upside)
WILSON (prove it in the real games rook.)

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
Alex Smith

Big gap

John Skelton
Russell Wilson

Big gap

Sam Bradford (poor mans Jason Campbell)

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

That is spot on to me. Give Bradford protection and he is the best out of the bunch and a good QB but he has injury concerns and can the Rams protect him enough to stop his injury concerns from rattling him. To me he is the classic case of a good prospect going to a team that destroys his potential because of early lack of help which one cannot blame the Rams for trying. I see a potential fail in RG III due to the structure of the Redskin organization. Smith is average but the way the Niners use him make him very productive and that will get them to the playoffs but never a Superbowl in my opinion. And Wilson, will prove to be the most accurate passer in the bunch but his height is going to limit him. Skelton has everything one wants in a QB, except accuracy and I hope a lot of the inaccuracy had to do with adjusting to the speed of the pro game and leaning the playbook.

Last edited:

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Which QB would i rather have and which is the best are two different questions. All of these QBs have value based on potential except for Alex Smith. I think Alex Smith is probably the best of the four at this second but hes the last one id want on my team because his ceiling has basically been tapped.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

I agree with this, big drop from Smith to Bradford too.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well I'll put it this way. In my Fantasy FB league, the only one I have on my draft board (20 QB's will be drafted) is Sam Bradford and he's in the high teens. He has the most upside. Skelton is the toughest, Smith is the smartest, and Wilson the most mobile. Bottom line, NFC West might have a lot of good defenses, but have the weakest group of QB's in the NFC. That could change next year when with the #1 overall pick the Cardinals select.................. .

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Based on last season.

Smith - It will be interesting to see if teams will adjust to his play under Harbaugh and he will regress or if he builds on last year and actually improves.

Bones - By a nose based on his winning record % and the stats that Duckjake has put out there countless times about his game winning drives. Those stats are a valid point and helped sway my opinion.

Bradford - If they ever protect him and get him some weapons the dude may explode onto the scene.

Wilson - No grade since he was in college.

Projections for this year.

Bradford - Has a ton of talent and I think Fisher is smart enough to not expose him to bad situations, at least not as many.

Bones - Koolaide is flowing but as Rugby posted awhile ago...Does Bones have "IT". Well Mitch thinks he does and I'm going to agree.

Smith - Will the obvious attention of getting playmaker WR's this offseason pay off or simply expose him? I'm going with expose him but admit he did look good in the playoffs.

Wilson - Midgets typically don't flourish in the NFL, especially at QB. Smart, talented and great attitude but that's a big hill to climb.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bradford..Smith.....Wilson......................................Skelton

By this time next year, it could be:

Wilson.....Bradford..Smith....Skelton

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on last season.

Smith - It will be interesting to see if teams will adjust to his play under Harbaugh and he will regress or if he builds on last year and actually improves.

Bones - By a nose based on his winning record % and the stats that Duckjake has put out there countless times about his game winning drives. Those stats are a valid point and helped sway my opinion.

Bradford - If they ever protect him and get him some weapons the dude may explode onto the scene.

Wilson - No grade since he was in college.

Projections for this year.

Bradford - Has a ton of talent and I think Fisher is smart enough to not expose him to bad situations, at least not as many.

Bones - Koolaide is flowing but as Rugby posted awhile ago...Does Bones have "IT". Well Mitch thinks he does and I'm going to agree.

Smith - Will the obvious attention of getting playmaker WR's this offseason pay off or simply expose him? I'm going with expose him but admit he did look good in the playoffs.

Wilson - Midgets typically don't flourish in the NFL, especially at QB. Smart, talented and great attitude but that's a big hill to climb.

I think he makes it and makes it big. He is small but he's far from slight. He's got a solid frame and hasn't seemed shaky at all when he's taken his hits. Other than height, the guy has the whole package. I expect him to be one of the best in the league in fairly short order. Matt Flynn, if he really has starter potential, should just keep renting.

Steve

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think he makes it and makes it big. He is small but he's far from slight. He's got a solid frame and hasn't seemed shaky at all when he's taken his hits. Other than height, the guy has the whole package. I expect him to be one of the best in the league in fairly short order. Matt Flynn, if he really has starter potential, should just keep renting.

Steve

I saw him play some in college and was impressed. He did very well in the preseason so you may be right.

I just think that he will struggle do to his height limitations. I get the Brees argument but he is 6ft and Wilson is 5' 10". Sometimes a couple of inches do matter.

I won't be shocked if he plays well but I'm not betting on it.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
1) Smith (would be 4th in most divisions)

2) Skelton (would be worse than some backups in other divisions)

3) Wilson (Looks good so far, has some weapons and protection)

4) Bradford (Say what you will about poor protection and lack of receivers, but the guy makes enough mistakes on his own)

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
In terms of talent and promise? Bradford is #1 and it ain't even close...

However, he's been stuck on one of the worst teams in the NFL and seems incapable of staying healthy.
Smith is good. Not great and doesn't have the talent to be great. He's a game manager at best. Bradford has the ability to be great. We'll see...
Do the other two even warrant commentary?

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I have em graded - Haven't seen enough of Wilson? Have never seen Skelton with starter preparation and reps.

Bradford
Smith
Skelton
Wilson

But would be just as happy with 100 yards passing and 200 yards rushing a PP run back and a win.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw him play some in college and was impressed. He did very well in the preseason so you may be right.

I just think that he will struggle do to his height limitations. I get the Brees argument but he is 6ft and Wilson is 5' 10". Sometimes a couple of inches do matter.

I won't be shocked if he plays well but I'm not betting on it.

You're absolutely right but do you really think those two inches will make that big of a difference? If Brees were 2 inches shorter, would he be a spot player like Flutie or would he remain just as effective (in the right offense)? I don't want to take this too far because let's face it, every undersized QB gets supported by the Brees comparison and none of them are Drew Brees. But, Wilson is pretty special IMO.

BTW, I'd love to see Wilson and Brees side by side. Watching them play I find it hard to believe they're 2 inches apart.

Steve

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
People have to remember when ranking Bradford, besides his injuries, he's only thrown 7 td's in the last 15-16 games he's played.

Skelton has thrown for more....quite a bit more. In 8 games he threw for 11 last year, and all totaled he's thrown 13 in 13 games.

So let's recap that Sketlon 13 td's in 13 games, Bradford 7 td's in 15-16 games...and Bradford had more passes in almost each and every one of those games, and at least I think 25 attempts in every one of those games.

Man St. Louis's WR's sucked. Amendola is back from injury, and they added some other guys, and granted Bradford has had some success in preseason, but the guy needs to do it. He had 5 td's in the preseason, but also had a crappy 6 for 17 performance in between. Bradford seems to be a bit streaky.

Even before his issues it appeared he was a bit streaky. Have a couple of good games, and then be average or below average. Stats definitely aren't everything, and there's been a lot of factors hindering Bradford, but many of those OL/WR issues are still there, even if maybe partially addressed.

Bradford has talent no doubt, but he also still has a lot to prove to even be considered a franchise QB. I think he'll probably turn it around, but the Rams need to give him help at WR. If they don't, he may continue to underperform, and might force the Rams to start looking for a new QB.

Smith has improved, and I always felt he was better than what others thought. What he did last year is the type of play I expected was possible from him. He's never going to be a world beater, but last year he took his team to the NFC championship game.

So my rankings. This isn't 'talent', this is production, where they are, what they have proven, and what they have around them.

1. Alex Smith
2. John Skelton
3. Sam Bradford
4. Russell Wilson

Sure by the end of the season 3 and 4 might be 1 and 2, but both of those guys have to prove they can overcome the deficiencies of their team when in the past they haven't shown that ability (Bradford), and Wilson actually has to do well in the regular season.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
My context is based more on ceiling and who I would rather have for the Cardnals starting this year. Wilson oozes star potential, and Bradford for all his flaws looked awesome his rookie season and was the #1 pick. Smith is Smith. He won't be a star ever but he's serviceable. He's the most "accomplished" but why the hell do I care about that when "accomplished" is a VERY relative term for these QBs. I'll take the swing in Wilson rather the guaranteed 20 TDs 12 INts of Smith. JMO.

Skeleton has shown the least and has far less upside then Wilson and even Bradford IMO.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a tough exercise because of the potential vs proven discussion. If I were building a team today, however, here's the order in which I'd want these guys:
1. Bradford
2. Wilson
3. Smith
4. Skelton

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is spot on to me. Give Bradford protection and he is the best out of the bunch and a good QB but he has injury concerns and can the Rams protect him enough to stop his injury concerns from rattling him. To me he is the classic case of a good prospect going to a team that destroys his potential because of early lack of help which one cannot blame the Rams for trying. I see a potential fail in RG III due to the structure of the Redskin organization. Smith is average but the way the Niners use him make him very productive and that will get them to the playoffs but never a Superbowl in my opinion. And Wilson, will prove to be the most accurate passer in the bunch but his height is going to limit him. Skelton has everything one wants in a QB, except accuracy and I hope a lot of the inaccuracy had to do with adjusting to the speed of the pro game and leaning the playbook.

BRadford blows!

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
All things equal. Healthy, good protection, good supporting crew, good everything:

1. Bradford: If all those criteria are met, Sam is easily the best QB here. Problem is, hes always been either injured or had a terrible WR corps/Oline.

2. Smith: Even though we all hate him, he was the #1 overall pick for a reason. Hes got a ton of talent. The shuffling of his HCs/OC's over the years seems to have taken its toll, and he showed what he can do with stability (Harbaugh). Hes no superstar, but he showed that he can manage the Offense and protect the ball.

3. Skelton: Nothing but talent and raw ability. Has the chance at being a darn good QB, but hes gotta take the next step and grow as a QB.

4. Wilson: We've only seen him in preseason so its not fair to rank him above anyone yet. After this season, Id expect him to probably be around #2 or #3. Dudes got some ability. Could be trouble for us.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
He hasn't had any help upfront. Sounds familiar huh....He did help them to the playoffs his rookie year. Wilson who has many raving has a long way to go for that.

They didn't make the playoffs his rookie year, they lost the last game of the season to Seattle and lost the division.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05