Rank the Current NFC West Starting QBs: 1-4

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I find it amusing that Bradford has this "injury prone" stigma attached to him as a pro.

He injured his shoulder at Oklahoma 3 years ago....check your calendars. 3 years ago.

He started all 16 games his rookie season....

He suffered a high ankle sprain in 2011 and missed 10 games. I guess it was that 36th sack in his 6th game that did it....

Get a clue and do some research before you declare a QB fragile. :lol:

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I used to agree with this, but I don't know anymore. He hasn't gotten any help on the oline or WR's so it's hard to tell. But even his rookie year, when everyone said he was stellar, I thought he was just meh. His completion %age wasn't good then and isn't good now. I know Duckjake dismisses it, but completion percentage is huge for me, as a stat to determine QB effectiveness. Wins matter, comebacks matter, clutch matter, all that matters--but completion percentage is all about consistency and I weigh it more heavily than others.

I dismiss the blanket statement that a QB who starts his career with a poor completion % can't improve in that area and to give up on a guy early in his career simply because of a low % can be a mistake.

You list Smith as the best QB in the division. A QB who completed 50.9% as a rookie and 48.7% in his 3rd season then in his 6th season his team is 13-3 and he completes 61.3%.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find it amusing that Bradford has this "injury prone" stigma attached to him as a pro.

He injured his shoulder at Oklahoma 3 years ago....check your calendars. 3 years ago.

He started all 16 games his rookie season....

He suffered a high ankle sprain in 2011 and missed 10 games. I guess it was that 36th sack in his 6th game that did it....

Get a clue and do some research before you declare a QB fragile. :lol:

I wouldn't call him fragile but it would take a diehard Rams fan to just gloss over his injury history. You forgot to mention that during college, in addition to his shoulder surgery, he also got knocked out of a big game against Texas Tech (today, that concussion probably would have cost him a couple of games) and he missed several games because of a 3rd degree shoulder sprain. In his young career, he's missed most of an NFL season and an entire season of college. He's much loser to being labeled injury-prone than he is to being called indestructible.

Steve

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm glad to now be a part of this site.. This kind of thing, in my opinion, is just the definition of DENIAL. I'm pretty sure if you asked any objective, informed fan around the NFL today this same question, their answer would look something like this:

1. Bradford
2. Wilson
3. Smith
4. Skelton

I hope I am not viewed as a troll, because that is not my intention. I believe the best way to gain useful information about your closest opponents is to engage in thoughtful debate with the fan base. There are plenty of you who appear to think with your brains, but for the rest, how can you not honestly recognize that Russell Wilson has 10 times the potential of a John Skelton? I'd be the first to admit that 4 fantastic showings in a row doesn't mean anything in the preseason, but I am so sick and tired of the whole "height" angle that people use to dismiss RW. The kid dropped back in Wisconsin to pass behind the largest offensive line in all of college football, a line that is comparable in size to the offensive lines of today's NFL. During that entire season, he had 2 balls batted down. He has an intimate understanding of the game of football and knows how to effectively use his athletic abilities to find passing lanes through which to deliver his throws. Although he is very capable of scrambling for extra yardage if needed, he passes from the pocket MUCH more than people believe. I think that ANYONE who honestly views JOHN SKELTON as a greater candidate for top QB in the NFC W than Russell Wilson is either severely lacking in proper judgement and intelligence, OR is just out-right lying to themselves (the likely cause). When it comes to defense, there is definitely a case to be made for Arizona, although we will see about that in a week. Arizona may also be considered to have a good set of offensive weapons, equal or possibly even better than Seattle's arsenal. But when it comes to the QB, let's call a spade a spade here guys, and face the fact that Russell Wilson is the real deal. This is not a statement about how bad John Skelton is, because I actually believe the guy has a lot of potential. I watched with great respect last year as he led the Cardinals to strong finish. This is more of a statement that Russell Wilson is just that good, and deserves to be taken seriously. Because I think one of the last things you want to do in week 1 is to sleep on Russell Wilson and the Seattle Seahawks.

And btw, there is ZERO doubt in my mind that by this time next season, the list will be more like this:

1. Wilson
2. Bradford
3. Smith
4. Skelton/ Kevin "deer in the headlights" Kolb

I liked Wilson predraft but your not in denial but disillusioned to think fans around the NFL would rank Wilson above Smith at the moment, really. Your going off of preseason, if preseason was such an indicator...well the Cardinals would have traded Fitzgerald and kept a kid named Stephen Williams lol. I think Wilson is starter material and it will take about two years but he will get there.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I liked Wilson predraft but your not in denial but disillusioned to think fans around the NFL would rank Wilson above Smith at the moment, really. Your going off of preseason, if preseason was such an indicator...well the Cardinals would have traded Fitzgerald and kept a kid named Stephen Williams lol. I think Wilson is starter material and it will take about two years but he will get there.

Fortunately we don't need Skelton to be the best QB in the Division to win. All we need from him is a season similar to what Joe Flacco had in 2011.

312-542-3,610 yards 20TD-12INT and 31 sacks instead of 51. However, with our offensive line situation I don't see that happening.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Fortunately we don't need Skelton to be the best QB in the Division to win. All we need from him is a season similar to what Joe Flacco had in 2011.

312-542-3,610 yards 20TD-12INT and 31 sacks instead of 51. However, with our offensive line situation I don't see that happening.

The frustrating thing is that with a guy like Fitzgerald and the possibilities of Floyd, Skelton does not have to be completely accurate...he just has to throw the ball within a few blocks of the WR and avoid heavy traffic LOL. Skelton frustrates me because his mentality, the way he carries himself, his size and athletic ability for his size are spot on for what you look for in a NFL QB and dude is clutch when you need him most BUT THE ACCURACY! Wilson has athletic ability but not that size but he does have accuracy. One thing about Skelton is that he is actually pretty fast when he takes off running but just like one hopes for in a NFL QB, he tries to throw it first. This season will be very interesting to see if Skelton really could be our future QB. I think there is a 40% chance he can, but that 60% squashed my optimism every time.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't call him fragile but it would take a diehard Rams fan to just gloss over his injury history. You forgot to mention that during college, in addition to his shoulder surgery, he also got knocked out of a big game against Texas Tech (today, that concussion probably would have cost him a couple of games) and he missed several games because of a 3rd degree shoulder sprain. In his young career, he's missed most of an NFL season and an entire season of college. He's much loser to being labeled injury-prone than he is to being called indestructible.

Steve
Or it would take a die hard Rams fan who's actually watched the games to understand that his pro career thusfar couldn't be defined as injury-prone.
Bradford has endured 70 career sacks in only 22 games. Think about that for a minute. He missed 10 games due to one injury.

One would think that if a man was injury-prone and didn't have the body to play QB in the NFL that 70 sacks in only 22 gms would be enough punishment to reveal that.

Look at Kevin Kolb for example...the dude has taken 50 sacks in his young career,and the dude simply cant take the punishment. Enlighten me as to how many different injuries/concussions has Kolb had?

Its just Sam's reputation dating way back in college(he's a 3 year pro now)...and the dreaded high ankle sprain last season that has everyone labeling him as injury-prone.

He needs to get better and start making plays on his own sure...but that isn't the debate here. He is not a fragile QB, nor is he injury-prone. I watch as many Cardinals games as Rams games.....fragile QB's are easy to spot. They take a few sacks and get scared....then they get hurt from playing scared ;)

JMO

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I dismiss the blanket statement that a QB who starts his career with a poor completion % can't improve in that area and to give up on a guy early in his career simply because of a low % can be a mistake.

You list Smith as the best QB in the division. A QB who completed 50.9% as a rookie and 48.7% in his 3rd season then in his 6th season his team is 13-3 and he completes 61.3%.

It wasn't a blanket statement, I was talking about Sam Bradford and the fact that his completion percentage hasn't been good. I do put a higher emphasis on completion percentage than you, but there's nothing wrong with that. The QB's like Elway you name who've won SB's with career low completion percentages are the exception, not the rule--at least not in the last couple of decades.

It's interesting that you mention Alex Smith and the way you put it: that his team is 13-3 and he completes 61.3%, as if his completion percentage is a by-product of his team doing well. I would argue the opposite, in fact. His completion percentage (and QB) rating had a lot to do with them going 13-3. He limited his turnovers (fewest turnovers in the league) and finally started throwing it to his team-mates instead of opponents. That will help win a lot of games, as opposed to being the reason they lost in years past.

Neither Smith nor Bradford had a good receiving corps, and I'd say that Smith's (while not great) are a lot better than Bradford's, especially with the crutch of Vernon Davis. Smith didn't start playing well though until Harbaugh was able to coach all of the Singletary and Mike Nolan out of him. Bradford has a similar opportunity with Jeff Fisher. If his completion percentage increases you'll see them win more games--that's a blanket statement.

And I should have clarified: I haven't given up on Bradford, I just didn't buy into all the hype. Part of me doesn't really want him to be as good as people say because he's in our division, and we have no one even close to his potential.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It wasn't a blanket statement, I was talking about Sam Bradford and the fact that his completion percentage hasn't been good. I do put a higher emphasis on completion percentage than you, but there's nothing wrong with that. The QB's like Elway you name who've won SB's with career low completion percentages are the exception, not the rule--at least not in the last couple of decades.

It's interesting that you mention Alex Smith and the way you put it: that his team is 13-3 and he completes 61.3%, as if his completion percentage is a by-product of his team doing well. I would argue the opposite, in fact. His completion percentage (and QB) rating had a lot to do with them going 13-3. He limited his turnovers (fewest turnovers in the league) and finally started throwing it to his team-mates instead of opponents. That will help win a lot of games, as opposed to being the reason they lost in years past.

Neither Smith nor Bradford had a good receiving corps, and I'd say that Smith's (while not great) are a lot better than Bradford's, especially with the crutch of Vernon Davis. Smith didn't start playing well though until Harbaugh was able to coach all of the Singletary and Mike Nolan out of him. Bradford has a similar opportunity with Jeff Fisher. If his completion percentage increases you'll see them win more games--that's a blanket statement.

And I should have clarified: I haven't given up on Bradford, I just didn't buy into all the hype. Part of me doesn't really want him to be as good as people say because he's in our division, and we have no one even close to his potential.

You are not understanding what I wrote and are actually reinforcing my point. I have been talking about a QB being able to improve his accuracy. Not that accuracy isn't important in winning.

the blanket statement that a QB who starts his career with a poor completion % can't improve in that area

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You are not understanding what I wrote and are actually reinforcing my point. I have been talking about a QB being able to improve his accuracy. Not that accuracy isn't important in winning.

Too funny. Knew I should have had more than 1 cup of coffee before posting this morning. :D

:mulli:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or it would take a die hard Rams fan who's actually watched the games to understand that his pro career thusfar couldn't be defined as injury-prone.
Bradford has endured 70 career sacks in only 22 games. Think about that for a minute. He missed 10 games due to one injury.

One would think that if a man was injury-prone and didn't have the body to play QB in the NFL that 70 sacks in only 22 gms would be enough punishment to reveal that.

Look at Kevin Kolb for example...the dude has taken 50 sacks in his young career,and the dude simply cant take the punishment. Enlighten me as to how many different injuries/concussions has Kolb had?

Its just Sam's reputation dating way back in college(he's a 3 year pro now)...and the dreaded high ankle sprain last season that has everyone labeling him as injury-prone.

He needs to get better and start making plays on his own sure...but that isn't the debate here. He is not a fragile QB, nor is he injury-prone. I watch as many Cardinals games as Rams games.....fragile QB's are easy to spot. They take a few sacks and get scared....then they get hurt from playing scared ;)

JMO

Wow , you're really stacking the deck in your favor. First off, calling him a 3rd year pro when you're trying to make the case that he can take hits is a bit disingenuous. We don't really know he'll make it through a season that hasn't actually started yet. Secondly, Kolb is considered by most of us here to be a HUGE injury risk. All that aside, I wouldn't mind going to battle with Sam Bradford. I would just be concerned over the possibility that injuries have/will take their toll on him. No matter how you look at it, he's had enough injuries in his short career to cause concern going forward.

I have to say, if I didn't know you were a Rams fan, right about now I'd be thinking, hey, this guy might be a Rams fan.;)

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good, quick article on Wilson from PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/03/russell-wilson-aims-for-greatness/

I like the guy's long-term potential, but still think some of the shine will be off when we get done with him in less than a week.

He looked pretty good in the preseason but he faced vanilla defenses and he's played for years in a pro style offense. I think the guy is a winner but those fans expecting greatness out of the gate might be due for a shock.

Steve

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He looked pretty good in the preseason but he faced vanilla defenses and he's played for years in a pro style offense. I think the guy is a winner but those fans expecting greatness out of the gate might be due for a shock.

Steve

Yep. Wilson may have amazing potential, but it's just potential right now.

He has won the least games of any starting QB in the NFC West. That's a fact right now, and until we know better that's all we have to go on.

BTW I love it when a fan from another team comes on here and tries to act like we don't know anything and they gush about a player on their team. They must assume that we don't read Seahawks crap or watch their team play.

I can't wait to move away from Seahawks land, though I hear their fans are massive pushovers from Cards fans I know up here.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wilson is a flash in the pan that will be exposed like hell this season. He will take the Matt Leinart route, carry a clipboard for a few seasons then journey his way into the twilight.

Skelton sucks, but I'd take him over Wilson. All 5'4" of him.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Rank the "current" NFCW QB's:

1. Smith - not the biggest fan but he's had to endure and persevere quite a bit and he did just that. Gotta give props to a guy who's gone through as much as he has and he's got the best weapons, best coach for a QB and best situation right now. Add that to his talent and mental fortitude and I think he's earned the right to be called #1 heading into this season. Very curious to see how he does in year two under Harbaugh.

2. Bradford - I think he's the most physically gifted of the bunch. Hasn't endured as much as Smith but he's been put through the wringer too. Although both he and Smith are the poster children for what you don't want to do to a young QB coming into the league, Bradford, with less weapons than Smith IMO, started out his career MUCH better. Right now, I think he's still thinking, having to learn his 3rd system in 3 years. Once he acclimates and things are second nature for him and the players around him, I think he elevates up this list and becomes the most productive QB. The Rams, even though Fisher will utilize the run, want the offense to run through Bradford so I think he'll be called upon to put up numbers more than Smith will for the 49ers.

3. Skelton - Gotta love Skelton's size and arm strength. He really fits the definition of what this offense calls for at QB so it's a mystery to me why they didn't commit to this guy a long time ago so as to get the learning curve started. Starting him, benching him, having a QB competition...all of it just taking away from the time that could have been spent on Skelton developing. I think he can be a very solid starter and I've liked what I've seen from him so far. He's always been a developmental guy but he has the physical tools and considering some of the comebacks he's had, he seems to have the mental tools as well. But he needs experience. Not sure he'll get what he needs with Whis in charge so long term, I just don't know. If they would fully commit and let this guy sink or swim for a year or two, I think he'd come out of it with is head above water.

4. Wilson - Putting up impressive numbers against KC this preseason doesn't really sell this guy for me. He's been pretty accurate with the ball and looked good but instinctively I have my doubts about it translating to live action in games that count. I was a big Flutie fan and am a Brees fan so I'm by no means a shortist, but it really surprises me that Wilson was able to convincingly beat out Flynn. I think Flynn is the better pro QB right now and a better choice to start for the Seahawks but apparently Wilson's got some mojo and magic going right now. If I was a WCO team, I'd be on the phone about Flynn trying to get him. Anyway, Seattle's got a decent situation for a QB to be in so Wilson might be able to keep things going. He's too much of a question mark and way too young to have him higher than #4 on this particular list though.

SeaHawk2001

Reaction score
all things being equal i see them at;

bradford
smith
skelton
wilson

and thats only cuz wilson hasnt played a meaningful game yet. but if i had to predict where they will end this year id go with:

Bradford
wilson
smith
skelton/kolb

just my opinion

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I do not think Wilson will finish second but remain last because the fact he is a rookie who is going to have to adjust playing in the NFL, where the guys up front are not only much taller than him but more athletic than anything he has faced in college. I do not think Wilson will be a bust, he will adjust and next season one will see a much improved QB. It is not fair to expect much of Wilson and then for some to dump on him which always happens in a fan base. I think Bradford could finish next to last because in his first years in the NFL, he has been destroyed by a lack of talent around him and a merry go round at coaching...I do not see how the guy can recover. But there is a slight possibility that Wilson will not finish last, it could very well be Smith. People have tape on him now and how they used him to be productive. Sounds like then even Skelton could be first, that is not right either and unreal to contemplate.

I say this, the thought of ranking these four QBs at the moment for this season and its end is hilarious, because they all have weaknesses. It is more like who will be the most average QB, to think one will call any of them good might be a pipe dream. The only title with the word back in it that is going to count are the running backs. :)

Last edited:

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I do not think Wilson will finish second but remain last because the fact he is a rookie who is going to have to adjust playing in the NFL, where the guys up front are not only much taller than him but more athletic than anything he has faced in college. I do not think Wilson will be a bust, he will adjust and next season one will see a much improved QB. It is not fair to expect much of Wilson and then for some to dump on him which always happens in a fan base. I think Bradford could finish next to last because in his first years in the NFL, he has been destroyed by a lack of talent around him and a merry go round at coaching...I do not see how the guy can recover. But there is a slight possibility that Wilson will not finish last, it could very well be Smith. People have tape on him now and how they used him to be productive. Sounds like then even Skelton could be first, that is not right either and unreal to contemplate.

I say this, the thought of ranking these four QBs at the moment for this season and its end is hilarious, because they all have weaknesses. It is more like who will be the most average QB, to think one will call any of them good might be a pipe dream. The only title with the word back in it that is going to count are the running backs. :)

It's insane how bad the QB's in this division just totally suck, and how good the RB's are on every team.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Tell me about it, and still really all we can talk about is throwing the ball because the NFL has become a passing league.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Think about Steven Jackson on the Rams. Nobody even talks about the dude. If you didn't know better you'd think Sam Bradford was the best player on their team. This division is stacked with RB's and lacks QB's bigtime. Compared to other divisions, it's RB heavy, and probably explains why it's the worst division in football.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Now that Skelton and Wilson have won their respective competitions, we know who the NFC West QBs are going to be (at least for the opener). This is certainly not an exciting group of QBs we're discussing here, but this is a challenging topic, nonetheless.

I'll add more context later, but here's my order:

1. Sam Bradford
2. John Skelton
3. Alex Smith
4. Russell Wilson

What say you?
Sounds about right to me.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members