Ranking top 5 rookie running backs by who will be most productive in 2024: Trey Benson leads the way

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Several on this board including Russ Smith and myself badly wanted Benson. He was the top RB in this draft despite being poorly used by a sloppy FSU offense. I think this may be Connor’s last season, though I like him a great deal. Benson has a superior skill set and should be a force for several years. Getting Benson in round 3 was a steal.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Several on this board including Russ Smith and myself badly wanted Benson. He was the top RB in this draft despite being poorly used by a sloppy FSU offense. I think this may be Connor’s last season, though I like him a great deal. Benson has a superior skill set and should be a force for several years. Getting Benson in round 3 was a steal.
the pudding might be on the stove but I‘m not reaching for my spoon at least not yet…

akg102

Veteran
Reaction score
"No [pause] running backs were taken in the first round of the 2024 NFL Draft...."

It reads like the author had a stroke.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. The comma at the beginning was to note a pause.
So you are contending that this sentence was properly written?!
No, running backs were taken in the first round of the 2024 NFL Draft -- so it's a challenge to sort which runners will be the most effective as rookies.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you are contending that this sentence was properly written?!
I am contending that it is grammatically correct. It is however not natural sounding, and I wouldn't word it that way.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I am contending that it is grammatically correct. It is however not natural sounding, and I wouldn't word it that way.
It's not grammatically correct. The comma in that position literally flips the meaning of the sentence 180 degrees. It is in direct opposition to the sentence...
No runningbacks were taken in the first round of the 2024 draft.

With the comma there it is in fact expressing disagreement...such as...
No, runningbacks WERE taken in the first round, however, it's hard to quantify their impact.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not grammatically correct. The comma in that position literally flips the meaning of the sentence 180 degrees. It is in direct opposition to the sentence...

No, runningbacks WERE taken in the first round, however, it's hard to quantify their impact.
Commas also have the meaning to pause, as well as contrast. In fact, commas has close to 10 different usages in English.

It is grammatically correct.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

It’s grammatical in the sense that Grammarly won’t flag it; but syntactically it’s a mess that makes no sense.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s grammatical in the sense that Grammarly won’t flag it; but syntactically it’s a mess that makes no sense.
It makes sense. A professional should not start an article with one word and a comma. Why create a pause when you just got started? It's a mess, like you said.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryderckarm