rasheed goes off

nowagimp

Reaction score
Rasheed wallace was apparently dissatisfied with the officiating in game 5 ECF.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-080529

I hate to see it come to this, but perhaps he has a point as the celtics shot 25 foul shots int he 2nd half with at least a few of them not being fouls. I want the celtics to win, but not this way.

"All that [expletive] calls they had out there, with Mike [Callahan] and Kenny [Mauer] -- you've all seen that [expletive]," Wallace spewed afterwards. "A lot of them phantom calls, cats are flopping and falling all over the floor and they're calling that [expletive]. That [expletive] ain't basketball out there. It's all [expletive] entertainment. You all should know that [expletive]. It's all that [expletive] entertainment."

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was watching the same game I was, the second half officiating heavily was in favor of the C's, and they still barely squeeked it out, no wonder they are hard to beat at home. The C's played well but Detroit did as well and really started executing late only to have the refs kind of halt their momentum everytime they started getting it.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Detroit did everything they could in the 4th to win that and Boston sucked it up hardcore, yet still squeaked by with the W.

I would be mad too.

LV-Suns

Go Suns
Reaction score
Wallace will pick up his final T before the suspension next game.

Guaransheed.

LV-Suns

Go Suns
Reaction score
Rasheed Fined $25,000 For Actions Following Game 5

NEW YORK (AP)—Detroit’s Rasheed Wallace was fined $25,000 Thursday by the NBA for using profanity and criticizing the officiating after a playoff game the night before.
After the Pistons’ 106-102 loss to the Boston Celtics in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference finals, Wallace went on an expletive-laced rant targeting officials Mike Callahan and Kenny Mauer.
“The cats are flopping all over the floor and they’re calling that,” Wallace said. “That ain’t basketball out there. It’s all entertainment. You all should know that.”
The Celtics lead the best-of-seven series 3-2.
www.yahoo.com

There is a surprise.

Last edited:

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
He was watching the same game I was, the second half officiating heavily was in favor of the C's, and they still barely squeeked it out, no wonder they are hard to beat at home. The C's played well but Detroit did as well and really started executing late only to have the refs kind of halt their momentum everytime they started getting it.

There were some bad calls on both sides, but Detroit has a tendency to foul players frequently. In the regular season that stuff tends to go uncalled, but they can't expect to slap away at players arms all series in the ECF and not get fouls called on them. I wouldn't blame the refs if I was Detroit.

OP
OP
N

nowagimp

Reaction score
There were some bad calls on both sides, but Detroit has a tendency to foul players frequently. In the regular season that stuff tends to go uncalled, but they can't expect to slap away at players arms all series in the ECF and not get fouls called on them. I wouldn't blame the refs if I was Detroit.

There were a number of serious flops and some major acting here, things that the NBA supposedly would like to discourage. Like I said, Im pulling for the celtics, want to see KG get his ring. I also like the celtics young guys. But the officiating left a "smackdown" taste in my mouth. The NBA just cant seem to get it, when there are so many no calls, a number of the calls look arbitrary or even bogus. Its like as if in baseball the umps would change the strike zone as the game went along and for different players. Or if as soon as someone put the tying run on base, the strike zone shrank. The NBA officials tend to want to ride the momentum of the game like surfers with a wave. The bullcrap "and ones" when there is no significant contact get the crowd going during scoring runs, but they make a mockery of all the no calls. Its bullcrap, what they do in the NBA with officiating, its worse than ever, and has gotten progressively worse over the last decade. When players expect or sense alot of no calls, they foul even more to gain an advantage. Before you know it, everyone is wrestling and shooting bricks due to muscle fatigue. These guys are so tired from wrestling that they clank wide open shots repeatedly. The NBA "smackdown" game is just so ugly, I have doubts of the validity of the competition in evaluating actual basketball play.

I guess bring on the finals with hulk hogan and andre the giant, and let it go the full seven games to extract the maximum revenues for the NBA. I guess it could have been worse, the spurs in the finals would have been a greater flopfest.

When I think back in the early days of WWF wrestling, I can remember telling some friends it wasnt real, and their reaction was that there is no evidence it wasnt real, they were hoping it was. Of course a real wrestler would laugh at the matches. Its kind of like rasheed saying its a bunch of acting and flopping around, not real basketball. I hate to see my favorite sport go this way, but its all about the money, the CONSPIRACY of the NBA owners and the league to make more money, its their right in a capitalist economy. It may not be a conspiracy to control the games, but its wrecking the basketball part of the entertainment. This year I had some high expectations with the west appearing so competitive, but what a downer, the playoffs have pretty much been bland, lots of flopping fouling and wrestling with foul calls often shifting the momentum of the game.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah its just a coincedence that the Lakers and Celtics are gonna play in the Finals....Sure! The league has been hoping for this and they simply made it happen, don't kid yourself the refs can shift the mo in any game with a few calls here and there, and if they do it blatently so what nothing ever happens about it anyway. The NBA where whatever they want to happen....HAPPENS!!!

btimsah

My Name Is Robert!
Reaction score
I love sheed.. He ain't afraid of letting the refs have it.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mark Cuban was on Fox Radio this morning denying to Rich Eisen that the fix was in. He did, sort of, admit that it may have happened in the past. Really strange interview. Maybe this is the new muzzled Mark Cuban who is attempting to buy the Cubs.

Rich jabbed away at him, but Mark stuck to the company line and praised Stern.

FWIW, IMNSHO, the NBA is one big fix from the games to the draft lottery. It is an over expanded league with some really bad franchises and the league is looking for Superstars and glamor teams. Those days are gone.

P.S. A Celtics/Lakers matchup will be a fantasy come true for Stern . There will be all of the lame assed comparisons to the old matchups of the 70's , 80's and 90's.

Will someone please look into the Pau Gasol to the Lakers for a bag of practice balls fiasco. That is so bogus. The Grizzlies must have gotten a huge chunk of cash under the table.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this X-Files or the NBA? Come one. The Celtics made fantastic off season move that made them a favorite before the season even started. The Lakers made a midseason move that many had predicted made them the new favorite in the West.
That was all before they played a single game with their new acquisitions.

No Ref in the NBA has the ability to give a team 50+ wins and usher them to the finals. Sorry, they might be able to impact the games at certain points or make a crucial call in a tied game. However, they are not going to make a crap team win the East or West. It was obvious to me either the Lakers or Hornet were coming out of the West.

All you conspiracy theorist call me when the Lakers and Celtics are 8th seeds and they breeze through the playoffs on their way to the finals. Then I will buy it.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That would be way to obvious SteelDog no one said the only reason they were gonna be in the Finals was because of the refs. But when the west teams are all within a few games, a few calls can make a big difference, with seeding and records alike. I am not sure what your talking about 8th seeds all these teams are good but with a little extra push the NBA can get exactly what they want, and what do you know looks like a Celtics vs. Lakers finals how conveinent that worked out for the NBA.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be way to obvious SteelDog no one said the only reason they were gonna be in the Finals was because of the refs. But when the west teams are all within a few games, a few calls can make a big difference, with seeding and records alike. I am not sure what your talking about 8th seeds all these teams are good but with a little extra push the NBA can get exactly what they want, and what do you know looks like a Celtics vs. Lakers finals how conveinent that worked out for the NBA.

The reason why these teams were so close for seeding was because of their regular season performance. No intervention by the league Refs is going to take a crap team get them to them to a top 8 seed and then get them through the playoffs to the finals. If that was the case we would have seen the Lakers and Celtics a long time before that.

My point being is that these teams had to be legit through the regular season and still have to show up for the playoffs. They still have to get there. That doesn't say conspiracy to me. What I meant by an 8th seed is that in any given year if I had seen the Lakers or Celtics as 8th seeds or Lakers/Knicks etc...and they marched through the playoffs to meet....that to me says conspiracy.

Even if you wanted to believe that with teams being so close this year in the West the NBA gave the Lakers a nudge here and there...that didn't apply to the East. If that was the case the Celts wouldn't have stuggled to get one playoff win so bad away from home.

Also, you have to assume that David Stern is smart enough to pull of a conspiracy. That casts serious doubts. Then you have to believe his Ref staff would be smart enough to pull it off without screwing it up or making it obvious. Well some of those Refs actions in recent years dispels that notion.

To me it's much more outlandish to believe the NBA could pull off something that complicated without screwing it up or it leaking out. Sorry, that is to Hollywood for me.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Sheeds not stupid. He knows there is an agenda in place, and it doesnt involve the Pistons. Holy crap, Im already sick of the Lakers/Celtics final. And they havent even tipped off yet!

Wake me when its over

OP
OP
N

nowagimp

Reaction score
The reason why these teams were so close for seeding was because of their regular season performance. No intervention by the league Refs is going to take a crap team get them to them to a top 8 seed and then get them through the playoffs to the finals. If that was the case we would have seen the Lakers and Celtics a long time before that.

My point being is that these teams had to be legit through the regular season and still have to show up for the playoffs. They still have to get there. That doesn't say conspiracy to me. What I meant by an 8th seed is that in any given year if I had seen the Lakers or Celtics as 8th seeds or Lakers/Knicks etc...and they marched through the playoffs to meet....that to me says conspiracy.

Even if you wanted to believe that with teams being so close this year in the West the NBA gave the Lakers a nudge here and there...that didn't apply to the East. If that was the case the Celts wouldn't have stuggled to get one playoff win so bad away from home.

Also, you have to assume that David Stern is smart enough to pull of a conspiracy. That casts serious doubts. Then you have to believe his Ref staff would be smart enough to pull it off without screwing it up or making it obvious. Well some of those Refs actions in recent years dispels that notion.

To me it's much more outlandish to believe the NBA could pull off something that complicated without screwing it up or it leaking out. Sorry, that is to Hollywood for me.

If and when there is an NBA conspiracy you will be one of the last ones arguing against its existence. All businesses conspire to make more money, its just business and execs should be fired if they dont do it as long as its legal. Baseball conspired to enhance the gem with steroids for money. I wouldnt be suprised at all if the NBA conspired to make itself more profitable by:

Giving superstars preferential treatement

Giving favorable treatment to teams with the best markets

Manipulating the draft lottery to ensure that talent is spread around to organizations that can betterr amke use of it, or that need ti to be viable.

Changing the foul calls within a game to keep games closer, help comebacks, keeping fans interested.

Structuring foul calls in a general way that gives certain teams advantages under the generalized instructions for calling fouls(the refs wouldnt even be in on it and could lose their (170K/yr)jobs even if they knew and said anything)

All of these above actions are LEGAL, and can be made hard to prove them. Nah they wont make enough bad foul calls to make a loser into a winner, that'd be too obvious. But some "good luck" through trades or lotto would help to put a team near the top.

Anyone employee who slanders the NBA without proof can be sued, by big pockets, thats life. It'd be career suicide, I wouldnt do it thats for sure.

Drug companies conspire to sell more drugs, side effects be damned.

Politicians conspire to destroy opponents

Oil companies conspire to make sure oil profits stay high

Get used to it big money conspires quite frequently to make more money, happens all the time. With so much at stake, faith in the integrity of the NBA is for the naive. Oh yeah and stern is NOT a stupid man, and surely has access to some very good advice.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If and when there is an NBA conspiracy you will be one of the last ones arguing against its existence. All businesses conspire to make more money, its just business and execs should be fired if they dont do it as long as its legal. Baseball conspired to enhance the gem with steroids for money. I wouldnt be suprised at all if the NBA conspired to make itself more profitable by:

Giving superstars preferential treatement

Giving favorable treatment to teams with the best markets

Manipulating the draft lottery to ensure that talent is spread around to organizations that can betterr amke use of it, or that need ti to be viable.

Changing the foul calls within a game to keep games closer, help comebacks, keeping fans interested.

Structuring foul calls in a general way that gives certain teams advantages under the generalized instructions for calling fouls(the refs wouldnt even be in on it and could lose their (170K/yr)jobs even if they knew and said anything)

All of these above actions are LEGAL, and can be made hard to prove them. Nah they wont make enough bad foul calls to make a loser into a winner, that'd be too obvious. But some "good luck" through trades or lotto would help to put a team near the top.

Anyone employee who slanders the NBA without proof can be sued, by big pockets, thats life. It'd be career suicide, I wouldnt do it thats for sure.

Drug companies conspire to sell more drugs, side effects be damned.

Politicians conspire to destroy opponents

Oil companies conspire to make sure oil profits stay high

Get used to it big money conspires quite frequently to make more money, happens all the time. With so much at stake, faith in the integrity of the NBA is for the naive. Oh yeah and stern is NOT a stupid man, and surely has access to some very good advice.

Disagree. If it actually happened as I described before, I would be the first all over it. I just chose not to reach for things that are not there.

Giving superstars preferential treatment - That happens. That's not a conspiracy against individual franchises. No matter who ends up with a Superstar, that is going to happen.

Giving favorable treatment to teams with the best markets - This is a general statement. I have seen plenty of small market teams have success in the NBA.

Manipulating the draft lottery to ensure that talent is spread around to organizations that can better make use of it, or that need to to be viable. - If that was the case Orlando never would have ended up with Shaq. Lebron never would have gone to Cleveland. I could go on.

Changing the foul calls within a game to keep games closer, help comebacks, keeping fans interested. - 99% of the games in the NBA are NOT decided by 1 point. Again, Refs are not smart enough to pull something like this off on a regular basis without getting caught. Look at the average margin of victory for teams in the top 10 in the NBA. There was not much "comeback" from the teams they played night in and night out.

Look there is no doubt that big companies use bully tactics to get ahead in their industry. However, what makes the NBA, the NFL etc different then the examples you cited is that the players, teams etc. is their product. I am not saying professional sports is not above doing something underhanded. We all have seen examples of it. I just don't buy into the league is fixed when so many things they do are evidence against that.

Many professional league have made many changes over the years to promote parody. The leagues put in cap in place to even the playing field is just one example.

When I start seeing crap teams in big markets start getting the finals and small market teams like the Hornets etc.. all of the sudden become devoid of talent because all those player end up in big market teams...then fine. I would buy it in a heart beat. I will the first to shout from the rafters.."fix".

Last edited:

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
It used to be easy to doubt and ignore conspiracy theories until he changed the rules:

You must be registered for see images attach

I hope he gets a book deal in prison and blurts out everything.

Mulletino

Reaction score
Looks like David Stern got his dream.
An LA/Boston series.

I think David Stern needs to be replaced and also get a whole new batch of refs. Get rid of all those old guys that can't see crap out there.
Fixing games has got to stop.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It used to be easy to doubt and ignore conspiracy theories until he changed the rules:

I hope he gets a book deal in prison and blurts out everything.

No it didn't. That guy was in it for himself. He wasn't leading an NBA conspiracy. That was about greed and getting himself paid. Any and all teams that guy touched were a target.

OP
OP
N

nowagimp

Reaction score
Disagree. If it actually happened as I described before, I would be the first all over it. I just chose not to reach for things that are not there.

Giving superstars preferential treatment - That happens. That's not a conspiracy against individual franchises. No matter who ends up with a Superstar, that is going to happen.

Giving favorable treatment to teams with the best markets - This is a general statement. I have seen plenty of small market teams have success in the NBA.

Manipulating the draft lottery to ensure that talent is spread around to organizations that can better make use of it, or that need to to be viable. - If that was the case Orlando never would have ended up with Shaq. Lebron never would have gone to Cleveland. I could go on.

Changing the foul calls within a game to keep games closer, help comebacks, keeping fans interested. - 99% of the games in the NBA are NOT decided by 1 point. Again, Refs are not smart enough to pull something like this off on a regular basis without getting caught. Look at the average margin of victory for teams in the top 10 in the NBA. There was not much "comeback" from the teams they played night in and night out.

Look there is no doubt that big companies use bully tactics to get ahead in their industry. However, what makes the NBA, the NFL etc different then the examples you cited is that the players, teams etc. is their product. I am not saying professional sports is not above doing something underhanded. We all have seen examples of it. I just don't buy into the league is fixed when so many things they do are evidence against that.

Many professional league have made many changes over the years to promote parody. The leagues put in cap in place to even the playing field is just one example.

When I start seeing crap teams in big markets start getting the finals and small market teams like the Hornets etc.. all of the sudden become devoid of talent because all those player end up in big market teams...then fine. I would buy it in a heart beat. I will the first to shout from the rafters.."fix".

You look for overt evidence as if these guys are stupid. With the kind of money they have, they can hire people that are smarter than you or I. The business plan must be to spread the league, not let certain markets die. The bulls were invigorated with a pick(1/50 chance, an important market, perhaps top 4-5 in the NBA), a near dead cleveland franchise was invigorated, as well as portland. These guys can move around in FA(Lebron is gone to NY soon, and shaq DID go to LA), and their deals will be approved to larger markets in time.

If the refs are instructed to give teams coming back the benefit of the doubt in the playoffs, so what, its just a general instruction. If the refs are instructed to give the home team the advantage, so what? If they are instructed to crack down on shaqs physicality, or allow alot of contact by big men on little guys out on the perimeter, so what? If the refs are instructed that certain players should be watched, so what? The number of no calls every game can be adjusted by 5-10 fouls and it makes a big difference. No calls favor some teams over others("defensive" teams are favored by no calls), it would be easy to just change general instructions for each series and adjust the outcomes, including letting the home teams win an overwhelming number of the games. This by the way is maximum profit(max number of games), like the second round of the playoffs where home teams were 23-2. Refs hardly ever talk to the media, the NBA is very protective even limiting replays. If you work for a comapny like that you are not permitted to talk to the public plainly, its likely in your employment agreement. Only an idiot would throw away a 170K a year job for 7 months work. There are plenty of changes that can be made to officiating that obviously will not get your suspicions up, youre looking for the bad teams to win, the most egregious scenario. At that point everyone will believe its a conspiracy.

The NBA has taken on a WWF style promotion campaign and pushes certain superstars(not all) to maximize their profits. The WWF is a way more profitable scheme, and it appears the NBA understands that kind of promotion. The NFL is way different, hasnt had financial issues at all, dont see 5 teams winning all the championships either. Only the NBA has so many championships by "dynasties". Most NBA observers acknowledge the league does poorly with parity, that dynasties are more profitable by far, for everyone, all owners. I dont think the league is currently micromanaging every game, but I do think that the gasol deal smells bad. I do think that CP3 is protected by the refs much more than Nash. Hell, bowen got suspended for ATTEMPTING to kick CP3, but not for beating nash and kneeing him in the nuts. Superstar rules are not applied evenly, kendrick perkins is less likely to be called for a phantom foul than amare stoudemire, and much more likely to get a no call. The NBA has a rules problem, unlike other sports. Tom Brady is not allowed to pass from beyond scrimmage(kind of like travelling in the NBA), because he's tom brady. In the NFL, the league protects all quarterbacks with the same rules, special rules are not used to the best QB's. THe NBA is what it is, a league that is in finiancial decline and they are desperately trying to make it more profitable, but they are not stupid. I dont go through life expecting everryone else to be stupid, especially billion dollar interests, they are not stupid or they wouldnt be where they are.

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
No it didn't. That guy was in it for himself. He wasn't leading an NBA conspiracy. That was about greed and getting himself paid. Any and all teams that guy touched were a target.

I never said he was at the front of a conspiracy. His actions increases the possibility of a conspiracy. Before, we were led to believe that refs were fair but just stupid at times. Now we know that one or more can fix the game.

A few weeks ago, he claimed "player and coach involvement". The NBA said it was a desperate final act of a criminal. I really hope he writes a book.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I never said he was at the front of a conspiracy. His actions increases the possibility of a conspiracy. Before, we were led to believe that refs were fair but just stupid at times. Now we know that one or more can fix the game.

A few weeks ago, he claimed "player and coach involvement". The NBA said it was a desperate final act of a criminal. I really hope he writes a book.

And Ill be at Barnes and Noble at 12:01 a.m the day its published to buy that book. I think Donaghy has a lot to offer us NBA fans who want to confirm suspicions of a conspiracy to rig games.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05