RG/RT vs 2 Gap DT (biggest holes on team?)

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Originally posted by arthurracoon
Wiley is the OLine coach (I think). If thats his name, but I was reffering to the OL coach.

Wilfork's times: Are they good? I have no idea how those #'s compare to the past.

That Wiley, I thought you were talking about a player or something that I didnt know about.

Anyways Wilforks times are blazing for a 325 lb guy. As to comparing his numbers to something else the other 1st round caliber DT harris who is 31 lbs lighter ran the 2 drills in 4.31 and 7.31 and put up 29 presses.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Originally posted by vikesfan
So you put Johnson at LDE ahead of Pace. What do you think of Pace. Compare him to Johnson. The LDE has to be able to runstop. Can Johnson runstop? How big is he. Isn't Pace bigger. You think DG is going to put Johnson in ahead of Pace at LDE?

P.S. If the refs did their job properly IND might have won that game.

IMO a LDE has to be 275 or higher to be fully effective and not put to much pressure on the LB.

With that said, Pace is 262, Johnson is 269. But both are 6-5 so they have room to add about 10 to 15 lbs of muscle and still be very fast for a LDE if that is what the coaches want to do.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by joeshmo
First who the heck is Wiley?

Agreed

Agreed

I think we can go down as far as 7 becuase the top 7 dont seem to be in the market for a 2 gap DT although one may take a 1 gap DT in Harris. But if we want Wilfork I say dont mess around and just take the guy we want.

Wilfork was 6-1 1/8, 323 pounds, benched 36 times, 4.50 short shuttle and a 7.62 in the three-cone drill.

4.3 in the 40

OP
OP
V

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I just did a quick check on D Johnsons' stats. He started less games then Pace but managed more or less the same number of tackles.
And he managed 2 more sacks.

DG has mentioned Pace and Wakefield but I don't recall hearing anything about D Johnson. Wonder if this kid could at least do a decent job at LDE?

Anyone figure out yet if Pace is being pencilled in as LDE or RDE back up.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by Reddog
4.3 in the 40

No f'ing way. Maybe if he was in a volkswagon when he did it, but with his weight I even doubt that.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just did a quick check on D Johnsons' stats. He started less games then Pace but managed more or less the same number of tackles.
And he managed 2 more sacks.

DG has mentioned Pace and Wakefield but I don't recall hearing anything about D Johnson. Wonder if this kid could at least do a decent job at LDE?

Anyone figure out yet if Pace is being pencilled in as LDE or RDE back up.

At this point in time, he's backing up Berry. I don't want to open the whole R or L DE can of worms again, but Berry will be matched on the LT. Once the minicamps start though, things may shake out differently.

As for Johnson, I actually have higher hopes for his potential to get double digit sacks than I do for Pace. He came out early, was projected as a first rounder, but dropped to the third. He had never worked real hard, because he was so gifted. This was a kid who played high school football when he was in the second grade! Apparently, he's really hit the weights, he looked more explosive last year.

OP
OP
V

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by ajcardfan
At this point in time, he's backing up Berry. I don't want to open the whole R or L DE can of worms again, but Berry will be matched on the LT. Once the minicamps start though, things may shake out differently.

As for Johnson, I actually have higher hopes for his potential to get double digit sacks than I do for Pace. He came out early, was projected as a first rounder, but dropped to the third. He had never worked real hard, because he was so gifted. This was a kid who played high school football when he was in the second grade!
Uh isn't there some sort of law against that and if there isn't shouldn't there be?
Too bad he wasn't playing QB ;)

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Uh isn't there some sort of law against that and if there isn't shouldn't there be?

Dennis also has a brother who is 1 year older than he is that both played in HS football. After the state found out they passed some kind of law to prevent what the Johnson brothers accomplish.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, it was in Kentucky!

:D

They did change the rule after that year. I think another thing was his dad was a coach on the team, IIRC, so saying he "played" might be stretching it.

It's a wild story, I'll see if I can dig it up on Google.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05