Rob Housler

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
One thing that I've taken from the first two preseason games is that this guy is a smooth athlete with good hands and a potential matchup nightmare.

(But, of course, a wasted 3rd pick, according to some...;))

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing that I've taken from the first two preseason games is that this guy is a smooth athlete with good hands and a potential matchup nightmare.

(But, of course, a wasted 3rd pick, according to some...;))

Yep of the early picks he was the one I knew nothing about but so far he looks like a great pick.

You can just see he understands how to get open.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He wasn't supposed to be able to block but he's seemed to do fine on blocking at the point of attack when he's in motion. So far at least he appears to know his assignments

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep of the early picks he was the one I knew nothing about but so far he looks like a great pick.

Thats not hard when you are 6'5" and run like a WR and are being covered by LBers... :)

And good hands to boot. He's a natural TE.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

When your team's leading receiver at TE is getting 4% or less of the total receptions per season for the last 3 years you don't expect your team to be thinking about a pass catching TE that high. So it wouldn't be something we'd look at, expect, or be real excited about initially.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He wasn't supposed to be able to block but he's seemed to do fine on blocking at the point of attack when he's in motion. So far at least he appears to know his assignments

I don't know. He managed to not block anyone at the point of attack Thursday night. The annoucers even looked to talk about what a good block he made, and then on the replay it showed him getting to the corner and sliding down into nobody.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know. He managed to not block anyone at the point of attack Thursday night. The annoucers even looked to talk about what a good block he made, and then on the replay it showed him getting to the corner and sliding down into nobody.

Yup. me and SweetD saw that. he slipped around and into the LB space and proceed to block nobody.. But as long as he can be the receiving threat he appears to be I'm OK with that. Maybe we can teach him to block.

OP
OP
C

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
When your team's leading receiver at TE is getting 4% or less of the total receptions per season for the last 3 years you don't expect your team to be thinking about a pass catching TE that high. So it wouldn't be something we'd look at, expect, or be real excited about initially.

Sounds like good reasons to be thinking precisely that...

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Somebody did their homework on this pick. He looks like he has been in the league for a while already. Smooth and stronger than I had anticipated.

I was one who didn't care for the pick. Thought it was a reach and better options were available.

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
Yeah he's a fast, good catching TE...but we knew that when we drafted him. K9 is right. The guy is not a very sound blocker. I've watched both pre-season games twice (live and play by play with a HS Coaching buddy). Housler shows signs of being a very good player ONE DAY but the dude gets almost no leverage on most blocks and half the time he doesn't even know who the hell he's supposed to be blocking! On three plays he helped the tackle on a D-lineman just to be a step late when switching over to the OLB. Soft hands? Check. Blazing speed? Check. Blocker? Eh, not so much. I think he will be a threat in the passing game this year, but it's gonna take a couple seasons before we can say he's a good blocker.

OP
OP
C

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah he's a fast, good catching TE...but we knew that when we drafted him. K9 is right. The guy is not a very sound blocker. I've watched both pre-season games twice (live and play by play with a HS Coaching buddy). Housler shows signs of being a very good player ONE DAY but the dude gets almost no leverage on most blocks and half the time he doesn't even know who the hell he's supposed to be blocking! On three plays he helped the tackle on a D-lineman just to be a step late when switching over to the OLB. Soft hands? Check. Blazing speed? Check. Blocker? Eh, not so much. I think he will be a threat in the passing game this year, but it's gonna take a couple seasons before we can say he's a good blocker.

What we all see is two of the three components to being a complete TE, and the one facet remaining is the one that can be taught.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I remember that. I made my comments notwithstanding... at least he was presumably where he was supposed to be:)

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
What we all see is two of the three components to being a complete TE, and the one facet remaining is the one that can be taught.

I see it too (thats why I wrote it lol). The nice thing is we have Heap for 2 seasons. HOPEFULLY when his contracts up Housler has become a good enough blocker to completely take over the number 1 spot and shoring up on TE spot for years to come with Larry and Kolb :D

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Fast, Smooth, soft hands, agile, good route runner, has it all for a receiver IMO. But he has something else that may give him an edge and our OC Miller alluded to it in a recent interview. It was said that he already knows the playbook like the back of his hand. He knows where he is supposed to be and when he is supposed to be there making it very easy for the QB's to find him and find him fast. He also has a knack for finding and squatting in the zone coverages that are given to him. Of which I think we have all already seen in the preseason.

It would be nice if he learns to at least become an average blocker but in the mean time I like what I see, and I like it a lot.

As for the other TE's, Dray and King. I absolutely love their blocking abilities on the edge.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I believe that he makes a perfect complement to Todd Heap and Jeff King. We are blessed to have him on our roster. He is more on the order of what we had in 'Q' when he was running the slot for us, and should be of real benefit to Fitz in tying up coverage down the middle.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This guy has great hands. This guy makes catching look easy. He's going to be a stud, barring injury.

This guy is our TE of the future. We may still need a blocking te (future years I'm saying), but he is our pass catching te of the future.

This guy was a great pick. He should help us for the next 10 years in a major way. Assuming injuries don't derail him, which can definitely happen to a te.

Of this whole preseason, I'm impressed most with Housler. (especially now that Williams is done for the season).

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Can't imagine we're going to keep four TE's. So who is the odd man out? Dray?

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think we kept 5 or 6 a season or two ago.

I think it's possible. But my guess is Dray is gone to PS, if we don't keep 4. I guess it depends on how many fb's we keep.

OP
OP
C

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I think it's possible. But my guess is Dray is gone to PS, if we don't keep 4. I guess it depends on how many fb's we keep.

The questions are:

8 or 9 OL
3 or 4 TE
3 or 4 RB
1 or 2 FB
5 or 6 WO

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We very well might keep four TE's and one FB, since Dray is a combo TE and H Back. My guess is that how it will go, but who knows for sure.

OP
OP
C

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How many do you think can be the higher? Just one of the five positional classifications? Or 2 or 3? Or?

At this point the question is 3 or 4 RB's and its effect.

My quess:

9 OL
5 WO
3 TE
4 RB
1 FB
3 QB

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Don't believe that Dray is practice squad eligible. He made the active roster last year and played in at least as many games as Hall.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I thought he had to play in like 6 games for that to be in effect. Didn't think he played in that many (and obviously didn't look it up).

But if it's just on the gameday roster, then my guess of ps would be wrong.

AZCARDSFANATIC

Veteran
Reaction score
Just a curiosity anyone consider him a 3rd WR, honestly not all that thrilled with Doucet or Williams. Housler is quick of the ball and has good hands he can stretch defenses, move him to the slot on outside and at 6'5" defenses go "CRAP". We have some good TE's with Heap and King so we need this guy to fit in somewhere. He is too talented to be in no man's land. So far our coaches are flunking this draft class, PP isn't a starter, Williams is done for the year, Housler needs to fit somewhere, so far the best guy in camp is Sherman and we don't use a FB.