Roethlisberger Injured in Motorcycle Accident

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Apparently he wrecked his bike and wasn't wearing a helmet.

Sounds pretty bad...developing....

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
krepitch said:
Apparently he wrecked his bike and wasn't wearing a helmet.

Sounds pretty bad...developing....

What a jack ass! I hope hes alright though.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Steelers | Roethlisberger injured in motorcycle accident

Steelers | Roethlisberger injured in motorcycle accident
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 09:11:04 -0700

KDKA.com reports Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger (head) has been injured in a motorcycle accident around 11:30 am Monday, June 12. The team has confirmed Roethlisberger was injured. He was not wearing a helmet when he flew over the handlebars and hit his head on the windshield of a car, according to an eyewitness. The witness added Roethlisberger seemed groggy and was bleeding from his head, but was able to say his first name. He has been taken to Mercy Hospital, but officials are not commenting on his condition.

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Shane H said:
What a jack ass! I hope hes alright though.

I guess he flew over his handlebars and hit someone else's windshield. Blood everywhere.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, that is unfortunate.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
From rotowire.com'

Ben Roethlisberger: Involved in Serious Motorcycle Accident - 6/12/2006 9:01:14 AM

Update:
The Steelers have confirmed that Ben Roethlisberger was involved in a motorcycle accident on Monday, KDKA-TV reports.

Recommendation:
Reports from the scene seem to indicate that the accident was serious. According to an eyewitness, Roethlisberger went over his handle bars and hit his head on the windshield of a car. He was not wearing a helmet. The eyewitness reports that Roethlisberger tried to get up, but was bleeding from the head. We'll update the situation as further details become available.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update - He Appears to Be OK

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has been in a motorcycle accident in Pittsburgh this morning.
Witnesses told authorities that the player's motorcycle collided with a car near a downtown intersection and that Roethlisberger's head hit the windshield and was bleeding. Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding.
ESPN.com's John Clayton reports that early indications are the injuries are not life-threatening.
One witness told KDKA television that Roethlisberger was conscious but appeared disoriented before he was taken from the scene to Mercy Hospital.
A Steelers spokesman is at the hospital and confirmed Roethlisberger is being treated there, but wouldn't provide additional details.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPDATE

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has been in a motorcycle accident in Pittsburgh this morning.
Witnesses told authorities that the player's motorcycle collided with a car near a downtown intersection and that Roethlisberger's head hit the windshield and was bleeding. Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding.
ESPN.com's John Clayton reports that early indications are the injuries are not life-threatening.
One witness told KDKA television that Roethlisberger was conscious but appeared disoriented before he was taken from the scene to Mercy Hospital.
A Steelers spokesman is at the hospital and confirmed Roethlisberger is being treated there, but wouldn't provide additional details.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Amazing. I guess they didn't ask him his last name because nobody would know if it was exactly right or not. Rothlis . . . whatever.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or, maybe they asked him his name and he said "Ben Inanaccident" and they thought that was close enough.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Update - He Appears to Be OK

"Not life threatening" does not equal "OK"....

I hope he comes out of this well, but this will certainly cause contracts to change. First Kellen (Soulja) Winslow II and now Roethlisberger....

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hope he winds up OK.

From a business standpoint, between the youngest QB posterboy for the league in a while and the accident Windslow Jr had last year, except there to be a strong reaction through contract negotations.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alter and concious and not life threatening, suggest he is far from ok.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off he is a moron for not wearing a helmet. Second I hope the Steelers come down hard on him once he's OK. A contract stipulation is definitely in order.

If he ends up OK but ends up missing a big chunk of the season, then he definitely let his team down.

In terms of LIFE, if it's non life threatening then in my book he is OK.

In terms of football, thats a different story.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SteelDog said:
First off he is a moron for not wearing a helmet. Second I hope the Steelers come down hard on him once he's OK. A contract stipulation is definitely in order.

If he ends up OK but ends up missing a big chunk of the season, then he definitely let his team down.

In terms of LIFE, if it's non life threatening then in my book he is OK.

In terms of football, thats a different story.

ESPN the magazine did a story on this part of Ben's life nearly a year ago so it's not news to Pittsburgh that Ben rides a motorcycle without a helmet. When Winslow had his famous accident, people kept bringing up the ESPN article on Ben to show it wasn't something only K2 was dumb enough to do.

Hope the guy is ok, and hope he's finally learned his lesson.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
ESPN the magazine did a story on this part of Ben's life nearly a year ago so it's not news to Pittsburgh that Ben rides a motorcycle without a helmet. When Winslow had his famous accident, people kept bringing up the ESPN article on Ben to show it wasn't something only K2 was dumb enough to do.

Hope the guy is ok, and hope he's finally learned his lesson.
In fairness, the difference between Roethlisberger and Winslow is that Roethlisberger seemed to be an experienced rider and we don't know the circumstance of the accident--could be that it wasn't his fault. Whereas Winslow didn't know how to ride a bike and was going WAY too fast in a parking lot--he was riding stupid. I'm not sure we can compare the two as the same just yet--I doubt we'll ever be able to point to them both as parallel experiences.

That said, you gotta wear a helmet. No excuse for that. Think about falling down and hitting your head on the pavement from a standing position, much less riding a motorcycle and flying into an on-coming car.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
fool!!! Lot's of Pitt fans are freaked out now...along with his family & friends...
I own a motorcycle and I would NEVER ride without a helmet.

Invincible disease.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Or, maybe they asked him his name and he said "Ben Inanaccident" and they thought that was close enough.

:biglaugh:

Post of the week right there.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
In fairness, the difference between Roethlisberger and Winslow is that Roethlisberger seemed to be an experienced rider and we don't know the circumstance of the accident--could be that it wasn't his fault. Whereas Winslow didn't know how to ride a bike and was going WAY too fast in a parking lot--he was riding stupid. I'm not sure we can compare the two as the same just yet--I doubt we'll ever be able to point to them both as parallel experiences.

That said, you gotta wear a helmet. No excuse for that. Think about falling down and hitting your head on the pavement from a standing position, much less riding a motorcycle and flying into an on-coming car.

Yeah I don't consider them comparable either, but when K2's accident happened and people(like me) were calling him a doofus, Ben's name was brought up repeatedly as a counter example.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...isberger-motorcycleaccident&prov=ap&type=lgns

In the article there they quote him as saying that he's careful and he rides in groups?

Groups?

I'm sorry but only a young kid would think riding in groups is going to save you from other drivers or from flying into windshields.

Being careful means at least wearing a helmet.

Man I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt here but several people got right in his face about this and he stood his ground so if he's alright then he better be prepared for the consequences.