Roethlisberger Injured in Motorcycle Accident

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whenever you require extensive surgery on your knees it impacts mobility. Ben wasn't the most mobil quarterback but I would say that the Steelers are done before the season even started.

Way to go BEN!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:
OK. Like Terry Bradshaw said, "Ride it when you retire."

yes, I remember at the time we had the thread about Winslow I said I was surprised the Steelers weren't more hard line with Ben on that point.

Even this past offseason there were reports that ben was unpopular with his teammates(after his rookie season) and one of the reasons stated was they felt he was getting special treatment with regards to the motorcycle issue.

I've had 3 very serious situations in my own life that have led me to have a healthy fear of motorcycles. the afforementioned dead neighbor, a highschool classmate who was paralyzed in a road rage accident while on a motorcyle, and my girlfriend's cousin being killed on one 2 years ago in the Philippines.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2004/04/15/rage15.DTL

Just seems to me that from what we know, the worst injury for his football career is likely the knees.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
A guy on ESPN made an interesting comment. He said that Roethlisberger would never think of stepping on a football field without a helmet, yet he'll get on a crotch rocket and ride around town without one. I just don't get it.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SteelDog said:
Ben wasn't the most mobil quarterback
Technically, you're right--he's no Michael Vick. But, he was VERY mobile. People pidgeonhole him as a pocket passer without mobility, but the dude could elude a rush, pass on the run and gain yards with his feet.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Technically, you're right--he's no Michael Vick. But, he was VERY mobile. People pidgeonhole him as a pocket passer without mobility, but the dude could elude a rush, pass on the run and gain yards with his feet.

Well Being mobil and being elusive to me are two different things. I watched every Steelers game. Ben had a knacked for feeling the pressure and stepping out of the way. He was good at buying more time by stepping up or taking the first hit then throwing.

They showed his stats after taking the first hit then passing. His stats were amazing after taking a hit. However, he did take a lot of hits. So to me that says he is tuff and elusive not mobil.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope he gets better - but I have a hard time giving sympathy for anyone that rides a motorcycle without a helmet.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
Hope he gets better - but I have a hard time giving sympathy for anyone that rides a motorcycle without a helmet.

I am a huge Ben fan. I have to say as long as he is going to be OK that is the most important thing.

In terms of football, I don't feel sorry for him. I feel sorry for all the Steelers players, staff and fans that will probably be without him because of a stupid judgement call on his part.

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
reread the post I was replying too, he made reference to it being a shame if this ended Ben's career. My point is right now the most likely career threatening injuries, are to his knees.

Vince's point is valid, not wearing the helmet threatened his life(hey I won't even ride a motorcycle period, when I was 8 years old a neighbor hit a tree head on and died). I was merely pointing out to that poster that the helmet wouldn't have saved ben from the knee injuries.

I agree that it looks as though the knee injury could be a bigger issue now, but at the time of the statement....I thought that the head laceration and the fractured nasal cavity were bigger issues (isn't your nasal cavity part of your skull? I really don't know but in the back of my head I think I remember learning that somewhere). I interpreted the knee injuries as being more of road rash and stuff like that, it would be hard for them to know structural damage without an MRI or X-Ray (and I think his head injuries have more priority now to the doctors). I am not arguing the logic behind your statement though; more just explaining my thought process...because I obviously did not do it well enough to start.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's horrible.

I would not allow an athlete on my team to ride motorcycles...ever.

Kobe Bryant (I know, most of you hate him, whatever) rides a bike to games quite often and I am paranoid he's going to have an accident...it's ridiculous, dangerous and as an owner I'd say it would be part of the sacrifice you'd make for millions of dollars. No matter how good of a rider you are, other people are stupid drivers and you aren't as safe on a bike.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
BIG BEN NOT SO LUCKY AFTER ALL?
Minutes after we learned from a solid and credible league source that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is not expected to have any serious injuries after suffering a motorcycle accident on Monday morning, we were alerted to reports that Roethlisberger has suffered "serious" injuries to both of his knees.
Per the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, which broke the story of the accident minutes after it happened, Roethlisberger has fractured his left sinus cavity bone, sustained a nine-inch gash to the back of his head, suffered injuries to both knees and a broken jaw, and he has lost either "most" or "several" of his teeth.
Our source on the "Ben got lucky" story told us he was operating on information that apparently has been superseded, and it's a sign of just how fluid and uncertain the situation has been.
"The injuries reported sound like a credible leak," the source told us. "There was no indiction of any knee injuries from my source who was with Ben but who knows?" Our source has since advised us that he still has no confirmation that reports of two serious knee injuries are accurate.

If Ben's knees are seriously injured, his ability to play in 2006 will be significantly affected. So then the question becomes, what do the Steelers do to replace him?
Personally, we'd call Doug Flutie. He's a better option than any of the stiffs and retreads currently on the market. Alternatively, if there's a chance that Roethlisberger is gone for more than one season, we'd get the Falcons on the horn about a trade for Matt Schaub.
We're still digging for more details.
BIG BEN NOT SO LUCKY AFTER ALL?
Minutes after we learned from a solid and credible league source that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is not expected to have any serious injuries after suffering a motorcycle accident on Monday morning, we were alerted to reports that Roethlisberger has suffered "serious" injuries to both of his knees.
Per the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, which broke the story of the accident minutes after it happened, Roethlisberger has fractured his left sinus cavity bone, sustained a nine-inch gash to the back of his head, suffered injuries to both knees and a broken jaw, and he has lost either "most" or "several" of his teeth.
Our source on the "Ben got lucky" story told us he was operating on information that apparently has been superseded, and it's a sign of just how fluid and uncertain the situation has been.
"The injuries reported sound like a credible leak," the source told us. "There was no indiction of any knee injuries from my source who was with Ben but who knows?" Our source has since advised us that he still has no confirmation that reports of two serious knee injuries are accurate.

If Ben's knees are seriously injured, his ability to play in 2006 will be significantly affected. So then the question becomes, what do the Steelers do to replace him?
Personally, we'd call Doug Flutie. He's a better option than any of the stiffs and retreads currently on the market. Alternatively, if there's a chance that Roethlisberger is gone for more than one season, we'd get the Falcons on the horn about a trade for Matt Schaub.
We're still digging for more details.

_________________________--
just makes sence that his knee's would be trashed....physics of your body being thrown forward , the handle bars are right there. Knee's or knee area would be trashed.

IMO- there's no way he plays before December, if he's SUPER LUCKY. More likely he's out this season and will try to start over next season.

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AiLhva48Lr.3fAwWRkL_PP1DubYF?slug=ap-steelers-roethlisberger-motorcycleaccident&prov=ap&type=lgns

In the article there they quote him as saying that he's careful and he rides in groups?

Groups?

I'm sorry but only a young kid would think riding in groups is going to save you from other drivers or from flying into windshields.

I agree that he should wear his helmet. But groups do help in one sense: a group of riders is more visible to a driver than a single rider, so it may help prevent accidents in that manner.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can be the best motorcycle rider in the world and it doesn't matter. My uncle was a professional motorcycle rider and lost his leg when an old woman ran into him in an intersection. You will never see me on a motorcycle.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
John Clayton is reporting that the injuries to his knees was relatively minor (he just scraped them evidently)

He's still an idiot. Not learning from Jason Williams (former PG for the Bulls)and Kellen Winslow makes him an even bigger idiot

Hope he gets better but he's going to have to pay for this little failed stunt. Most leagues have it written into their contracts that they can't be involved in things such as motorcycle riding, surfing, etc.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
He'll be alright. After he broken jaw heals and they fix up his face a little, he'll be back behind center. What's the big deal about missing teeth . . .

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
John Clayton is reporting that the injuries to his knees was relatively minor (he just scraped them evidently)

:thumbup:

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I think that if he's not seriously hurt it's a blessing.

Now someone will tell him, see this contract? You ride we burn it.

Athletes cannot have it both ways, you cannot claim you are worth millions to your employer and then get mad when they protect that investment.

His whole teams fortunes ride to some extent on him, while you play football you can't ride a motorcycle, not if you are that key to a team, now if you're the third string whatever, fine who cares it's your life but not the star starting QB.

I think I got a little caught up in the helmet thing, riding in groups, whatever, the problem is that it's just more likely you'll either die or be seriously injured on a motorcyle per mile ridden than in a car, it's indisputable and ride when your retire like Bradshaw said.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Stupidest law in the country: we're required to wear safety belts in a car but not required to wear helmets on a motorcyclye. Please explain that logic to me.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
heh,ive been thinking about buying a motorcycle to ride to work, i should probly research motorcycle death...i havent yet and im already changing my mind.

i hope hes ok and gets to play but if hes not, at least hes ok enough to live a happy life on what money he did earn. that picture of the windshield is brutal, im amazed hes alive

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
Stupidest law in the country: we're required to wear safety belts in a car but not required to wear helmets on a motorcyclye. Please explain that logic to me.

great post.