Roethlisberger Injured in Motorcycle Accident

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN is reporting serious but stable condition.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

AzWins23

Reaction score
Steelers | Roethlisberger in serious but stable condition
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:37:33 -0700

Updating a previous reports, ESPNews reports Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger (head) is in serious but stable condition in an operating room.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was one of the outspoken players after Winslow went out with a motorcycle injury. Maybe he rethinks his stance after his accident?

Idiot.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Reports he was apparently conscious but not totally coherent stems from a report (I saw on CNN) that he asked where he was and the EMT people responded "Jefferson Bridge" (or some similar Pittsburgh landmark) and Roethlisburger asked: "What city is that in?"

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He could have broken his neck.... jeez.

I hope he's okay.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
He could have broken his neck.... jeez.

I hope he's okay.

He could be dead already and is very lucky he isnt. I would really like to hear the details. Im doubting he hit the car very fast. Most people on MC that his a car dont end up in the windshield unless they werent going very fast. They will usually get launched right over the car. Im assuming based on reports that he was lucky not to be going very fast.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
On the Jim Rome show (hey it's this or Cubs Baseball crap) the host said that a vehicle was reported to pull out infront of Ben's motorcycle.
The angle he took to hit the windshield or the way he hit was not mentioned.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
According to ESPN news right now, he is having surgery to repair a broken jaw....that's all they said about injuries, there's is more than likely more but they don't know yet

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
Looks like Big Ben got hurt pretty bad, they are reporting the following injuries:

He's lost many of his teeth
Fractured his left nasal cavity
Broke his jaw
Has a large laceration on the back of his head
Severly injured both knees as he hit the ground

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/9356067/detail.html

The Steelers board is going crazy over there and with good reason. Hopefully he can get healthy, hate to see a young career get ruined because of something as stupid as not wearing a helmet.

http://www.steelersfever.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Too bad that a hobby he enjoys can changed his life so quickly

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is not good. What a shame.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a real bummer.

I'm drafting Brian St. Pierre in fantasy this August.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
abomb said:
That is not good. What a shame.

Not good for Ben. Good for the rest of the AFC however.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Was that the sound of Kerry Collins Phone ringing?

Maybe, Maybe not.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BirdMan21 said:
Looks like Big Ben got hurt pretty bad, they are reporting the following injuries:

He's lost many of his teeth
Fractured his left nasal cavity
Broke his jaw
Has a large laceration on the back of his head
Severly injured both knees as he hit the ground

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/9356067/detail.html

The Steelers board is going crazy over there and with good reason. Hopefully he can get healthy, hate to see a young career get ruined because of something as stupid as not wearing a helmet.

http://www.steelersfever.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Not to defend the no helmet part but how would wearing a helmet have protected Ben's knees? From the sound of it the facial stuff while serious, is not career threatening, it's the potential knee injuries that could ruin his career and no helmet was going to help there.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How fast do you think he was going?

Yikes...

Attachments

• ben.jpg
    ben.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 228

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Not to defend the no helmet part but how would wearing a helmet have protected Ben's knees? From the sound of it the facial stuff while serious, is not career threatening, it's the potential knee injuries that could ruin his career and no helmet was going to help there.

It wouldn't have, but you don't die from having your knees broken. You do die from having your skull broken.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

C'mon. Are you serious? The knee injuries are a sidenote here. That does not prove his point that he should be able to choose not to wear a helmet....

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Just getting on a motorcycle is career/life-threatening. Not wearing a helmet is simply indefensible. If nothing else, he wouldn't be wearing dentures for the rest of his life.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Roethlisberger seriously injured in motorcycle crash

By JOE MANDAK, Associated Press Writer

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Steelers star Ben Roethlisberger, the youngest quarterback to lead a team to the Super Bowl championship, was badly hurt in a motorcycle crash Monday and undergoing surgery. The extent of his injuries was not known.

Roethlisberger was in serious but stable condition, said Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma at Mercy Hospital.

ADVERTISEMENT

"He was talking to me before he left for the operating room," Jones said. "He's coherent. He's making sense. He knows what happened. He knows where he is. From that standpoint, he's very stable."

The 24-year-old Roethlisberger likes to ride without a helmet, a habit that once prompted a lecture from Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher. It was not known whether Roethlisberger was wearing a helmet when he crashed.

The accident happened at an intersection at the edge of downtown at about 11:30 a.m. and a pool of blood was still visible there by early afternoon. A silver Chrysler New Yorker with damage to the front passenger fender was removed and Roethlisberger's black bike was loaded onto a flatbed truck.

Police spokesman Lt. Kevin Kraus said police and homicide units were investigating the crash, a standard practice when there is an accident with critical injuries. He gave no details on whether anyone else was hurt.

In only his second year in the NFL, Roethlisberger helped guide the Steelers to the Super Bowl title in February at age 23.

Several teammates, including backup quarterback Charlie Batch, linebacker Joey Porter and safety Mike Logan, arrived at the hospital emergency room but did not comment.

The team planned to issue a statement later Monday, but no one from the team would be made available, Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said.

Some fans also gathered at the hospital, including Juanita Clark, who sells Steelers' paraphernalia, and her daughter.

"I just feel like he's a family member," Loretta Clark said.

Calls to Roethlisberger's agent, Leigh Steinberg, were not immediately returned.

Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle. He has pointed out Pennsylvania's state law requiring helmets to be worn was repealed in September 2003.

In May 2005, Cowher warned him about safe riding after Cleveland tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. was injured in a motorcycle accident. Winslow tore knee ligaments and was lost for the season.

"He talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

Roethlisberger continued to ride after Winslow's accident and that angered Terry Bradshaw, who quarterbacked the Steelers to four Super Bowl victories during the 1970s.

Visiting the Steelers' training camp last summer, Bradshaw remarked: "Ride it when you retire."

Associated Press Writer Michael Cowden contributed to this report.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:
C'mon. Are you serious? The knee injuries are a sidenote here. That does not prove his point that he should be able to choose not to wear a helmet....

reread the post I was replying too, he made reference to it being a shame if this ended Ben's career. My point is right now the most likely career threatening injuries, are to his knees.

Vince's point is valid, not wearing the helmet threatened his life(hey I won't even ride a motorcycle period, when I was 8 years old a neighbor hit a tree head on and died). I was merely pointing out to that poster that the helmet wouldn't have saved ben from the knee injuries.