Roethlisberger Injured in Motorcycle Accident

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Ben Roethlisberger might have been riding without a license to drive a motorcycle when he was involved in an accident Monday.

Pittsburgh television station KDKA reported Tuesday that police are checking whether the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback had a license.

Roethlisberger was riding this motorcycle when he collided with an automobile in Pittsburgh on Monday morning.
Sources told the TV station that Roethlisberger had a license to operate a car but has never had a Pennsylvania motorcycle license.

Roethlisberger had a learner's permit to operate a motorcycle that expired March 29 but had never taken the written and driving tests for a motorcycle license, a source told KDKA.

How frickin' stupid is this guy? :doi:

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Renz said:

Life often gives the test before the lesson.

Ben has now been tested; if he has not learned his lesson, then he is indeed "stupid".

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Redheart said:
Life often gives the test before the lesson.

Ben has now been tested; if he has not learned his lesson, then he is indeed "stupid".

Well, they say a smart person learns from their own mistakes, but it takes a genius to learn from the mistakes of others. Clearly, the guy is no genius. Now, you're right, we'll see how smart he is. I'm guessing he climbs back on the bike without a helmet at some point. Probably after he's done playing.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
Renz said:
Ben Roethlisberger might have been riding without a license to drive a motorcycle when he was involved in an accident Monday.

Pittsburgh television station KDKA reported Tuesday that police are checking whether the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback had a license.

Roethlisberger was riding this motorcycle when he collided with an automobile in Pittsburgh on Monday morning.
Sources told the TV station that Roethlisberger had a license to operate a car but has never had a Pennsylvania motorcycle license.

Roethlisberger had a learner's permit to operate a motorcycle that expired March 29 but had never taken the written and driving tests for a motorcycle license, a source told KDKA.

Hey come on man. Don't you think he feels more free if he rides his motorcyle without a driver's license? If the license is in his ass pocket then its just another thing coming between him and the open road. Its all about freedom. Helmets, and driver's licenses, and all the hopes and dreams of untold millions of fans, that's all just a bunch of static. Big Ben is all about freedom. Its shocking to me, how few people seem to get that.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
RedViper said:
Hey come on man. Don't you think he feels more free if he rides his motorcyle without a driver's license? If the license is in his ass pocket then its just another thing coming between him and the open road. Its all about freedom. Helmets, and driver's licenses, and all the hopes and dreams of untold millions of fans, that's all just a bunch of static. Big Ben is all about freedom. Its shocking to me, how few people seem to get that.
:lmao: Classic!

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Wow this thread has really turned into a self righteous, soap box thread. No one has ever made a mistake on this board apparently. And NO ONE has ever done anything so stupid that it's embarassing. Ben is in the spotlight and screwed up...big deal. Calling him stupid and a moron is pretty harsh but then again, no one has ever made a mistake.

Besides all that, since Ben will be OK and is NOT a Cardinal, it won't effect me if he misses camp or the season or wears a helmet...

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
blindseyed said:
Wow this thread has really turned into a self righteous, soap box thread. No one has ever made a mistake on this board apparently. And NO ONE has ever done anything so stupid that it's embarassing. Ben is in the spotlight and screwed up...big deal. Calling him stupid and a moron is pretty harsh but then again, no one has ever made a mistake.
Is there anyone on the planet who doesn't know that riding without a helmet is a bad idea? Riding helmetless isn't a mistake, it's stupid.

blindseyed

Reaction score
Renz said:
Is there anyone on the planet who doesn't know that riding without a helmet is a bad idea? Riding helmetless isn't a mistake, it's stupid.
`

So is riding without a seat belt but how many people do that? Have you ever rode without a seatbelt at least once in your life Renz? Would that make you stupid and warrant a public bashing from people? I'm not saying what he did is right, he took the risk and he got hurt. My point is so many people are so down on him and seem to forget that they themselves have made stupid mistakes. And what gets me is that all the sudden the guy is 'no genius' and 'not very bright'..wearing a hemet doesn't have anythng to do with 'intelligence', it has to do with choice and making right decisions. I'm sure there are peiople with high IQ's that are dead from motorcycle accidents. I rode without a helmet for years without an incident, I wear one now.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
blindseyed said:
`

So is riding without a seat belt but how many people do that? Have you ever rode without a seatbelt at least once in your life Renz? Would that make you stupid and warrant a public bashing from people? I'm not saying what he did is right, he took the risk and he got hurt. My point is so many people are so down on him and seem to forget that they themselves have made stupid mistakes. And what gets me is that all the sudden the guy is 'no genius' and 'not very bright'..wearing a hemet doesn't have anythng to do with 'intelligence', it has to do with choice and making right decisions. I'm sure there are peiople with high IQ's that are dead from motorcycle accidents. I rode without a helmet for years without an incident, I wear one now.

Yeah but you weren't a multi-million dollar athlete who depends on your body to be your source of fabulous wealth.

For example, I smoke, eat too much and don't wear my seatbelt, this is all stupid, but if I did all that risking my roster spot for say 10,000,000 then it goes beyond stupid into another realm called idiocy. Now if I do all of that and then let my teamates down I'm not just an idiot I'm an idiotic selfish jerk.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
Yeah but you weren't a multi-million dollar athlete who depends on your body to be your source of fabulous wealth.

For example, I smoke, eat too much and don't wear my seatbelt, this is all stupid, but if I did all that risking my roster spot for say 10,000,000 then it goes beyond stupid into another realm called idiocy. Now if I do all of that and then let my teamates down I'm not just an idiot I'm an idiotic selfish jerk.

Exactly. Its one thing to be be careless and irresponsible when you are just some nameless slob. But if you are essentially the spearhead of the defending superbowl champ and you literally have millions of people obsessed with your health, you've been paid millions of dollars to remain in world class shape and go back into battle to defend the title, then you go and do something so utterly selfish and unnecessary that gets you hurt, you are in a whole different realm. Bradshaw had the right of it. Wait until your NFL career is over then do whatever the hell you want. Rothligsberger's behavior is appalling. I sincerely hope the guy is one hundred percent healthy on gameday but other than that, he deserves all the ridicule, shame, and economic duress (should the Steelers go after his wallet) that he gets. He was warned.

Last edited:

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
conraddobler said:

:thumbup:

OP
OP
Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
conraddobler said:

:thumbup:

There are a few people in this world who are able to explain things very clearly and you are one of them.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
blindseyed said:
`

So is riding without a seat belt but how many people do that? Have you ever rode without a seatbelt at least once in your life Renz? Would that make you stupid and warrant a public bashing from people?

Question 1 - Anyone who has a brain fart.

Question 2 - Yes.

Question 3 - Yes and yes, but my name doesnt show up in the paper.

Just becuase we all do it doesnt make it any less stupid.

DKCards

Reaction score
conraddobler said:

your right, his teammates are a lot more important then your family and friends:sarcasm:

blindseyed

Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Question 1 - Anyone who has a brain fart.

Question 2 - Yes.

Question 3 - Yes and yes, but my name doesnt show up in the paper.

Just becuase we all do it doesnt make it any less stupid.

And that is my point. We've all done stupid things and it seems people would be alittle more understanding instead of so uncaring. I don't think it was a bright idea either but I'm not going to attack the guys mental abilities (not saying you did that joe)

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
conraddobler said:

It sucks for the Steelers and the city of Pittsburgh, for sure. But I don't think he's a selfish jerk. He's a kid who made a mistake. Again, you guys are painting him to be this evil person--by all accounts, he's not. He's a nice KID who made a mistake.

And to the point of "he's paid millions and I'm a poor slob" arguement, boy, I feel kinda sorry for you that you elevate Roethlisberger to such a lofty perch because he's a millionaire. I'll bet your salary is just as important to your family as Ben's is to his. Maybe you all should start taking better care of yourself. I know I should (and I also need to stop making stupid choices...but I don't think that means I'm stupid).

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Pariah said:
It sucks for the Steelers and the city of Pittsburgh, for sure. But I don't think he's a selfish jerk. He's a kid who made a mistake. Again, you guys are painting him to be this evil person--by all accounts, he's not. He's a nice KID who made a mistake.
I don't think anyone used the word "evil" in describing Roethlisberger. And don't get carried away. A 24-year-old man is no "kid".

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
blindseyed said:
You just illustrated my point. This wasn't an isolated incident. The guy rides without a helmet all the time. Heck, for all we know he doesn't even own a helmet. If he normally wore a helmet, but this one time thought, "Aww, it's just a short ride. I'll wear my helmet next time", then I would consider that a mistake. Never wearing a helmet I consider stupid.

If I never wore my seatbelt while driving and then was hurt badly in a rollover, I think we could all agree that I would have been acting like a moron, IQ notwithstanding. Intelligence and common sense don't always go hand-in-hand.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I'm not mad at Ben.

It's the excusing of his actions that's hard to take.

He's not going to jail and no one's going to kill him, if he heals he'll be luckier financially than anyone on this board.

I hope the Steelers have a clause that they can exact some form of financial punishment on the guy, that would be fair and appropriate.

People shouldn't excuse stupidity, it's a dis-incentive to stop practicing it.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Renz said:
I don't think anyone used the word "evil" in describing Roethlisberger. And don't get carried away.
Not in so many words, but you guys are being really hard on him.

A 24-year-old man is no "kid".
I beg to differ. I know I was a kid when I was 24--that's a prime time in a young man's life to make mistakes.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now it turns out the dumb cluck didn't even have a valid motorcycle driving license.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
When you come into the NFL, win virtually all the games you start, and win the Super Bowl in your second year, I guess you think you're invincible.

We'll you're not.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
I know plenty of riders like you say you are. Nothing I said was preposterous, only things you don't agree with.

I just finished repairing a friend's " crotch rocket " after he lost it in the rain and slid into a car guilty of illegally entering an intersection. My friend was doing 70 , in the rain , in a 35 MPH zone, when he saw the offending vehicle. What saved his life was the slick pavement which reduced the effect of the " laws of physics" you would like to discount. He was wearing a full face shield helmet. I had to weld the frame back together at the swingarm assembly. It had snapped in half from the torque/stress of the impact. Cosmetically, Fred's ( my friend ) bike looked much better than Ben's. Fred suffered a broken shoulder and collarbone along with road rash. His head was fine. His helmet was a throw away, cosmetically toast.

If you want to hear anymore stories about foolish riders I have known, just ask me. Rick Case, my cross country riding companion was decapitated while passing a truck at 110 mph. Pete Thayne died almost instantly from head trauma and broken neck while pulling a wheelie in a school parking lot. It goes on and on. Speed and stupidity kill.

Ben's bike was literally destroyed 1/3 of the way back from the impact. That requires high speed impact. The fact that he catapulted indicates, he never hit the brakes or locked up the front brake. That means he had little or no control. That is careless riding, no matter who made an illeagl turn. If a rider enters an intersection exceeding the posted limit and is not ready to brake, he is only fooling himself. So what if Ben was legally right. he was foolish for trusting other drivers. If you ride long enough , you devlelop an attitude in which you trust no one else on the road to do the right thing and anticipate the fools. When I come to an intersection, my right hand is off the throttle, cocked on the front brake lever and my foot has the rear brake lever halfway activated.

On top of that he had his baseball cap on backwards without his helmet. It looks cooler to ride that way. I live in a state that foolishly rescinded the required helmet law. Safety of the rider and protection from head trauma had nothig to do with the decision. It was the false sense of pride from riders who wanted to feel free. BS. I'll debate this with you all you want. I have plenty of experiences to share and dead friend's who all did something stupid.

P.S. That is what you said and is very true. That is why a common sense rider anticipates that 62 year old lady pulling that stunt.

Wally is that the same Rick Case who used to own a motorcycle dealership in Columbus? That used to be THE place(like THE Ohio State University) to get bikes back in the day.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
Wally is that the same Rick Case who used to own a motorcycle dealership in Columbus? That used to be THE place(like THE Ohio State University) to get bikes back in the day.

Nope. Just coincidence. This happened back in 1967.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
QB was warned he might be jeopardizing contract

QB was warned he might be jeopardizing contract
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Pittsburgh Steelers officials warned quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in writing last year that he might jeopardize portions of his contract, and could suffer financial implications, if he continued to ride a motorcycle.

League and team officials confirmed for ESPN.com on Tuesday night that the Steelers last year sent a letter to Roethlisberger's representatives stating their concerns and the possibility his contract could be affected if he was injured while riding a motorcycle. Agent Leigh Steinberg confirmed for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the Steelers sent such a letter.

It is believed the letter was intended to serve dual purposes: To apprise Roethlisberger in writing of the team's stance on what it considered a perilous activity, and to place the club on more solid legal footing were the Steelers forced to try to recover prorated signing bonus money or even base salaries if the quarterback failed to fulfill his contract because of a motorcycle-related injury.

The contract Roethlisberger signed as the Steelers' first-round choice in the 2004 draft does not include language which specifically precludes the quarterback from riding a motorcycle. But the standard NFL contract, in general terms, prohibits players from engaging in off-field activities that pose "a significant risk of personal injury."

In the wake of a motorcycle accident last spring that sidelined Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow for the entire season with a serious knee injury, Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher cautioned his quarterback about riding a motorcycle, especially without a helmet. Roethlisberger said, however, that the activity alleviated stress and emphasized that he was a careful operator, and that he typically rode in groups.

Winslow's contract did stipulate he could not ride motorcycles, and his injury cost him millions of dollars in bonuses the team withheld and in incentives that he could not earn because of his inactivity.

The situation with Roethlisberger will likely be moot if he does not miss significant time with the facial injuries he suffered in Monday's accident. Steelers officials believe even more strongly now that Roethlisberger, who last season became the youngest quarterback in NFL history to lead his team to a Super Bowl victory, will be sufficiently recovered in time to participate in most of training camp and to play in the season opener.

Even if Roethlisberger were sidelined for a prolonged period, it is not certain the Steelers, who have a long history of taking care of their players under the ownership of the Rooney family, would have attempted to recoup a prorated share of his signing bonus. The letter, however, might have provided more leverage in an arbitration action, had Roethlisberger defaulted on the contract.

In the wake of the Roethlisberger accident, some league teams are likely to become more specific in contractually forbidding players from engaging in certain activities.

Buffalo Bills safety Troy Vincent, the president of the NFL Players Association, said Tuesday that the union does not oppose teams using such specific language but noted it should be done on a case-by-case basis.