Roethsberger v. Manning

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Originally posted by ASUCHRIS
Some of us saw it coming.....:D

I'll quite rightly say that most of you jumped on a Quan bandwagon and made wild predictions based on silly threads and hero worship. I definitely saw that on this board ;)

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Stout
I'll quite rightly say that most of you jumped on a Quan bandwagon and made wild predictions based on silly threads and hero worship. I definitely saw that on this board ;)

Hey, the man keeps making us look good. Maybe you should jump on the bandwagon there stout.... :thumbup:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
As to saying you were nuts to predict Boldin's performance? Well, since it wasn't based on very tangible grounds, and was more of a hero-worship propoganda-type thing, I don't feel ashamed one bit. Even if it was based solely on playing ability, I will always be pessimistic of a rookie receiver doing so well. It almost never happens. So I was wrong. Oh well, life goes on.

Hero worshipping propaganda my ass.

Obviously if I thought he was only going to catch 60 balls, I was pessimistic about his ability. :D

I made that assumption, based on the fact that I wasn't that high on McAddley, Kasper, Poole, Gilmore, etc.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Well, if he 'proves' himself, what say you then? Will you actually change your mind? The way you talk, there is NO way you would change your mind. Just my perception, but you seem to be very down on the kid.

Not that I myself am ready to annoint him as a franchise QB. Far from it! I've not seen him play, and I've only read hype about him, either positive or negative.

I DO know that if you're going to use the lesser competition argument as your sole basis, then you're off base. His conference has proven to have solid NFL QB talent. Perhaps not on a consistent basis, but enough so that when you see a steller player like a Pennington, Lefty, or possibly even Rothamadinger, he shouldn't be immediately written off.

I'm just saying you seem to be convinced he can't be a franchise QB, and I'm convinced to give him a chance to make a believer out of me.

Lesser competition still has to be proven away. Sorry if I don't give the guy a pass because he hasn't played top competition regularly. Pennington and Leftwich are the exceptions, not the rule. Rarely does any Quaterback of note come from a small school. Sure it does happen, but each and every one of them are scrutinized heavily, and rightfully so.

But I guess NFL teams (that do take competition into consideration) are full of it....

I don't understand why you think I'm so down on him. I compared him to Kerry Collins, so obviously I think he could be a pretty good QB (which Collins has been at times).

But I saw nothing that would make think franchise savior like the rest of this board.

pinnacle

Reaction score
Although Eli manning did not play this weekend..his stock may have gone up. Georgia had no chance on offense against LSU - and Eli brought a worse team (mississippi is worse than georgia) back near the end against LSU to make it very close...LSU's defense is awesome - everyone knew that - but it was further reinforced this weekend.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dinwittie Looked Only Slightly Better Than Mortal Last Night

Dinwittie started slowly and a bit shaky during the beginning of the Hawaii game last night, but then settled down and started making most if not all his throws with deadly accuracy.

One other thing that impressed me was that if a guy got open, Dinwiddie threw to him (i.e. he didn't throw in a different direction to a more obvious option but always seemed to pick out the right guy).

Note - He evidentally also chewed some O-line butt on the sideline (so that there was a tangible uptick in their play) and played the second half with a gimpy knee and bruised ribs.

Commentator quoted June Jones saying that Dinwittie is the best QB he's seen (Not sure if Junie means "ever" or merely this year).

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by pinnacle
Although Eli manning did not play this weekend..his stock may have gone up. Georgia had no chance on offense against LSU - and Eli brought a worse team (mississippi is worse than georgia) back near the end against LSU to make it very close...LSU's defense is awesome - everyone knew that - but it was further reinforced this weekend.

That's a great point.

LSU is a tremendous team, almost as good as a pro team. Eli's team isn't even close to as good as LSU.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
It Doesn't Matter Which One They Pick

...if the Cardinals hire the right coach. Not right away, at least. How many snaps has #1 overall, Quarterback-of-the-Future Carson Palmer--latest in a long line of first-rounders expected to be that franchise's savior--taken in Cincinnati this year?

Zero. Because Marvin Lewis has figured out how to win with journeyman vet Jon Kitna, and hasn't had to throw his prize rookie into the fire.

Think it's just bad luck that Jeff Blake has a negative TD-to-INT ratio for the first time in his career, this season? Think again. When the Cards upgraded their QB over the offseason, they neglected to upgrade his coach(es) at the same time. (And they sent him out with nothing but Anquan Boldin and a bunch of guys to throw to. But that's another rant.)

If the Cards make a good choice for HC, either Eli Manning or Ben Roethlisberger will get at least one season to develop as a backup. The new HC will either resurrect Blake or bring in another vet to compete for the starting job.

If, in desperation, the new guy plays his rookie QB, and either Manning or Roethlisberger starts 16 games for the Cards next season, they'll be lucky to match this year's win total. Count on it.

WC

OP
OP
Pariah

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a good point about the coaching. It's a good arguement to get an offensive-minded coach in here this off season. A guy like Weiss, Heimendiger (sp?) or Norv Turner, if he's available (doubtful).

Hopefully, the organization will look at this draft and say "we have a chance to get a franchise QB. Let's not F it up. Let's pick the right guy and have the right coaching staff in place to make him better."

jon_nyaz

The art of music
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
But Penington wasn't drafted with a top five pick, and he wasn't necessarily considered a slam dunk when he was picked.

McNair was, but he has amazing athletic ability. Ben literally looked about as fast as Dave Brown the other night. I had heard he was a really good athlete, but other than his throwing ability, I was wondering why anyone said that.

As Stout said, his workouts are crucial. If he runs in the 4.7-4.8 range, my interest will be piqued.

I totally agree. Krang, you are the first person to even mention "workouts". Trust me, Graves is going to work both of these guys out and then put them through the psycho-exam of the century before he decides which one to put on his board first. Also keep in mind that both of these QBs will perform better in an offensive system that leverages their strengths - - and that means that whoever our next coach and offensive coordinator is, will have a big say in who they select.

I've never seen R-burger play, but from what I've read here, I would say he would fit in great in a system like they have in St. Louis, Tampa Bay or The Giants. Pocket passer, vertical passing game, spread the field, set-up the run with the pass. Manning would function better in a more dink-n-dunk west coast style offense such as SF, OAK, New England, or a bruising run-first offense like Kansas City, Baltimore, or The Jets.

So everything depends on who our next coach is, and then how these guys grade out mentally and physically. I can't form an opinion because I don't watch college football all that much.

Stout

Reaction score
Lesser competition still has to be proven away. Sorry if I don't give the guy a pass because he hasn't played top competition regularly. Pennington and Leftwich are the exceptions, not the rule. Rarely does any Quaterback of note come from a small school. Sure it does happen, but each and every one of them are scrutinized heavily, and rightfully so.

But I guess NFL teams (that do take competition into consideration) are full of it....

I don't understand why you think I'm so down on him. I compared him to Kerry Collins, so obviously I think he could be a pretty good QB (which Collins has been at times).

But I saw nothing that would make think franchise savior like the rest of this board.

On your first point about lesser competition, it's fair enough, but how exactly do you propose to 'prove it away'? What would convince you? I mean, you do really make it sound as if you wouldn't draft him high, period, without discussion. If so, I'll step back and respect your opinion. If that's not true, what exactly would it take for him to 'prove the competition away'?

And I didn't say NFL teams that take competition into consideration are full of it. Never did I say that. I'm saying a guy shouldn't necessarily be written off because of competition. Big difference.

And again, I don't currently think he's a savior. As I said, I haven't even seen him play. I'm just trying to remain neutral and NOT rule him out as a high pick so early. I'm surely NOT ready to say I'd pick him early, although I think, based on info to be received later, it should be CONSIDERED, if Manning is off the board.

Overall, your points are fair enough. It does seem as if you won't be convinced to take him high at all. And, even if his measurables come out good, it would still be a risk. He could be a Pennington, or he might not be. We shall see. Let's just say we disagree at this point. Pax?

Stout

Reaction score
Originally posted by ASUCHRIS
Hey, the man keeps making us look good. Maybe you should jump on the bandwagon there stout.... :thumbup:

Hey, I'm not saying I'm not on the bandwagon NOW (and since the season's shown him to be so good).

Let's just say that most of the preseason 'predictions' were not quite based on anything concrete, to put it very, very mildly. :thumbup:

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Here's an interesting stat for everyone. Almost half of the starting QB's starting in an NFL game today are from what I would consider small schools. Obviously what I classify as small school and what someone else does is subject to arguement, but here is the list.

Arizona - Jeff Blake - East Carolina
S.F. - Jeff Garcia - San Jose St.
Minn. - Daunte Culpepper - Cent. Fla.
G.B. - Brett Favre - Southern Miss.
Wash. - Patrick Ramsey - Tulane
Carolina - Jake Delhomme - La-Lafayette
Cin. - John Kitna - Central Washington
Clev. - Kelly Holcomb - Middle Tenn. St.
Tenn. - Steve McNair - Alcorn St.
Hou. - David Carr - Fresno St.
Jax. - Byron Leftwich - Marshall
Oak. - Rich Gannon - Delaware
Mia. - Jay Fiedler - Dartmouth
NYJ. - Chad Pennington - Marshall

One could very easily argue that 4 of the top 6 QB's in the NFL right now are from small schools. I'm not saying we should definately bypass Manning and draft Rothlisburger, I'm simply saying that he shouldn't be dismissed because of the level of competition. He played better competition this year than alot of the guys on this list did in school. I didn't go through the entire list of NFL QB's but based solely on these numbers it would appear that small school QB's have a smaller "bust" ratio, but again I didn't look at how many were actually drafted compared to the larger schools.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why you can't get locked onto things like "The SEC is the best conference, draft players from the SEC." Or, even more ludicrous, "Draft only Miami players."

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
C'mon guys, I've asked this twice and only Mrospi has replied. If we don't pick #1 why don't we offer our #1 this year and our #1 next year so we get the first pick? Our draft history in the past five years doesn't make a good argument to not do it. Besides, in this era of free agency you can find everything that you need except franchise QBs.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Originally posted by earthsci
C'mon guys, I've asked this twice and only Mrospi has replied. If we don't pick #1 why don't we offer our #1 this year and our #1 next year so we get the first pick? Our draft history in the past five years doesn't make a good argument to not do it. Besides, in this era of free agency you can find everything that you need except franchise QBs.

Well its indirectly being responded to. I think Rothlisburger is good enough that you don't trade away next years #1. I guess if you feel Rothlisburger will be a bust you make the trade, if you feel Rothlisburger has the ability to be a quality to good NFL QB you don't.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
On your first point about lesser competition, it's fair enough, but how exactly do you propose to 'prove it away'? What would convince you? I mean, you do really make it sound as if you wouldn't draft him high, period, without discussion. If so, I'll step back and respect your opinion. If that's not true, what exactly would it take for him to 'prove the competition away'?

And I didn't say NFL teams that take competition into consideration are full of it. Never did I say that. I'm saying a guy shouldn't necessarily be written off because of competition. Big difference.

Allstar competition is one route. I know that some think that allstar games don't mean squat, but it gives teams a chance to look at players in practice.

The combine and personal workouts will be important as well. If he works out well, I would seriously consider him. I'm just not going to consider the guy after watching one game that's all. Hopefully Graves and Co. have watched a lot of film and are in a better spot to make the judgements. I don't like to tout players that I haven't watched, but admittedly I have to sometimes.

His competition is an issue, but it isn't necessarily the biggest one. I personally would worry about foot speed until Ben proves that he is fast enough. I thought Leftwich's foot speed wouldn't be a problem, and so far so good.

And again, I don't currently think he's a savior. As I said, I haven't even seen him play. I'm just trying to remain neutral and NOT rule him out as a high pick so early. I'm surely NOT ready to say I'd pick him early, although I think, based on info to be received later, it should be CONSIDERED, if Manning is off the board.

Overall, your points are fair enough. It does seem as if you won't be convinced to take him high at all. And, even if his measurables come out good, it would still be a risk. He could be a Pennington, or he might not be. We shall see. Let's just say we disagree at this point. Pax?

I didn't mean to imply that you think he is a savior. :p

I was referring to others on this board that watched the guy once against Bowling Green (not Michigan, OSU, Miami, LSU, etc.) and want us to draft the guy no matter what.

As I said, there will be plenty of QBs that will come along over the course of the next few years that will probably be better than Ben. Why set your (the general you, not the specific you) mind so early, that we have to get a QB? Vincent Young looks pretty good at Texas, and Brad Smith looks good at Mizzou, and a few other young QBs are also looking pretty good.

My position, is that Ben needs to prove to me why he should be drafted by working out well and playing in allstar games, so that the scouts can tell us what they think. I'm not saying that scouts necessarily make my mind, but they further cement my thoughts (i.e. If a player looks great, and the scouts agree, I tend to believe my eyes).

OP
OP
Pariah

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by earthsci

Because if we don't get Manning we'll be in a position to take Roethlesberger. If we don't get Roethlesberger, we'll be in a position to take a stud cover-corner, if we can'rt take a cover corner, we'll be in a psoition to draft a stud WR, if we can't take a stud WR, we can take an impact edge rushing DE, etc...

We have too many holes to fill. If we were JUST a QB away, I'd say trading 2 #1s makes sense, but we're no and it doesn't.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pariah
Because if we don't get Manning we'll be in a position to take Roethlesberger. If we don't get Roethlesberger, we'll be in a position to take a stud cover-corner, if we can'rt take a cover corner, we'll be in a psoition to draft a stud WR, if we can't take a stud WR, we can take an impact edge rushing DE, etc...

We have too many holes to fill. If we were JUST a QB away, I'd say trading 2 #1s makes sense, but we're no and it doesn't.

I definitely agree with this!

Larry Fitzgerald would look great in Cardinal red opposite Anquan.

Besides, we still could go another way (draft another position) and get a QB later like my main man (and my employer :p ) Philip Rivers.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I definitely agree with this!

Larry Fitzgerald would look great in Cardinal red opposite Anquan.

Besides, we still could go another way (draft another position) and get a QB later like my main man (and my employer :p ) Philip Rivers.

Funny. What cubicle are you in? I was just hired by the Gamble first round, Rivers 2nd/3rd round corporation.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
Funny. What cubicle are you in? I was just hired by the Gamble first round, Rivers 2nd/3rd round corporation.

I'm sitting in the cubicle behind you, doofus.

:D

Watching Gamble get torched by Braylon Edwards in the Michigan/OSU game, forced me to resign from the Gamble campaign.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm sitting in the cubicle behind you, doofus.

:D

Watching Gamble get torched by Braylon Edwards in the Michigan/OSU game, forced me to resign from the Gamble campaign.

In the games I have watched of him, he makes more plays than he gives up. I mean, when you have Barrett and Hill as starters, you cannot be too picky.

Some people here are high on Vasher from Texas but after watching him in last years Cotton Bowl, I will scream murder if the Cards draft the guy. He looked like a little kid out there playing with his older brothers.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Games

I was referring to others on this board that watched the guy once against Bowling Green (not Michigan, OSU, Miami, LSU, etc.) and want us to draft the guy no matter what.

As I said, there will be plenty of QBs that will come along over the course of the next few years that will probably be better than Ben. Why set your (the general you, not the specific you) mind so early, that we have to get a QB? Vincent Young looks pretty good at Texas, and Brad Smith looks good at Mizzou, and a few other young QBs are also looking pretty good.

My position, is that Ben needs to prove to me why he should be drafted by working out well and playing in allstar games, so that the scouts can tell us what they think. I'm not saying that scouts necessarily make my mind, but they further cement my thoughts (i.e. If a player looks great, and the scouts agree, I tend to believe my eyes).

Let's see how he does against Louisville.

He did playe this year against Big Ten teams like Iowa and Northwestern and a few with a past of decent teams like Colorado State and Marshall.

Here are his stats for the year:

Games Att./Comp./Int. Yds. TD's Yds. Per Game

13 462-321-10 4110 33 316.2

Stout

Reaction score
Allstar competition is one route. I know that some think that allstar games don't mean squat, but it gives teams a chance to look at players in practice.

His competition is an issue, but it isn't necessarily the biggest one. I personally would worry about foot speed until Ben proves that he is fast enough. I thought Leftwich's foot speed wouldn't be a problem, and so far so good.

Unfortunately, he may feel his stock is too high and decide not to play in the all star games. That would hurt in evaluation, but the workout #s will have more of an impact. I also agree that footspeed is an issue with Ben, and hopefully those workouts will answer this question one way or another.

As to not having to take a QB this year? Well, I really feel we need a franchise QB and need one NOW. Why? I don't think we have one on the roster. It ain't Blake, that's certain. I'm almost sure it's not Parsons or McCown. I

agree with you that there will be good QBs to come out in the next few years, but that doesn't help much in the next few years. If we don't get a top QB this year, it'll likely be another 2 years before we have a solid QB (unless one miraculously comes to us via FA). You figure a rookie QB needs at least a year of seasoning, and our chances of doing anything really big on offense, and thus winning, is slim. THAT'S why I want a franchise QB this year, not later.

Who do you suggest we stick with over the next several years while waiting to get a solid QB? Blake? McCown? Pray a solid FA QB is out there? Hope we get a high enough draft pick in the coming seasons to draft a franchise QB?

We're in a tough spot, and I'm hoping beyond hope we can address this glaring need this year. I do agree with you that if the guy we want isn't there, then you take one of the other positional (non-QB) prospects. If it turns out both Ben and Eli are on our radar, we'll likely be able to get one. If Ben isn't on the radar, there will be a good player there for us.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pariah

Awesome response Pariah! I actually feel the same way as you. We are sorely in need of a QB and TWO cornerbacks. Right now we are picking in the top four and I'm sure that Atlanta will win a couple with Vick back. We would actually benefit from a SD - Oakland tie but whatever.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05