Roethsberger v. Manning

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by PACardsFan
I was extremely impressed with Roethsberger, but that being said, I still take Manning if he is available. This is beginning to look like the Peyton Manning/Ryan Leaf sweepstakes all over again. People forget that Leaf had similar physical characteristics to Roethsberger. Big, tall, cannon of an arm. There were many that thought the Colts were going to take Leaf. Leaf was also a junior, just like Big Ben. I watched a lot of Leaf at Wash St. & also was impressed. I thought he'd be another Bledsoe, he turned out to be the biggest bust the NFL has ever seen. I'll take the pedigree, experience & savvy of Manning. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say that Roethsberger can't turn out to be a stud, but I'm not sure how a man that size would react to NFL blitzes. Bledsoe's biggest problem is his reaction to blitzes & the rest of the NFL knows that. I wouldn't trade up to get Manning, but if he's there then I take him. If he's gone, then we take our chances with Roethsberger & BE HAPPY.

This is what scares me....I see Ryan Leaf all over again. My gut tells me no no no! Those that favored Peyton over Leaf that year all said that he had the smarts to be big time, and Leaf was a physical specimen. I doubt Roth is as stupid as Leaf, but it's a little too eerie.

I'll be happy if we take him, but NOT over manning. If manning is there, you go with the guy with the brain and network and pedigree, IMO.

Loyal Card 17

Veteran
Reaction score
i'm new to this board. to get in the drafting a qb subject, i add phillip rivers name to the board. one of the top rated qb in the country. why not draft him.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is what scares me....I see Ryan Leaf all over again. My gut tells me no no no!
I find the comparison between Roeslisberger and Leaf to be invalid.

The only common denominator between the 2 draft years is that there were similarities in the type of QB that Leaf and Roethlisberger had (or would have) to compete with to be picked highest in the draft - guys who were seasoned, compact, had good mechanics, had a sound understanding of the game.

But Roeslisberger and Leaf are completely different from one another.

Leaf was an active, excitable (some would say non-coachable) mobile QB with a "live arm" who wasn't that terrific with regard to his intangibles (i.e. reading defenses, consistent footwork/mechanics etc.

Roethlisberger's demeanor is much more headier, mature and cool (almost detached) under fire. You could tell from the body language on the field and sidelines that his teammates and coach love him. (not so with Leaf, if you recall). In addition to displaying a live, accurate arm and pretty consistent mechanics, he also showed an uncanny (almost magical) skill in reading and picking apart coverages and finding the open man.

joko4

Registered
Reaction score
First,all thisTALK hinges on one thing.
CARDS HAVE TO LOOSE LAST TWO GAMES.
Second, I'll take either one.
Perference, Big Ben , a pumped up more advanced LOMAX.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by kerouac9
I think the lesson we've learned with Josh McCown is that it takes more than "measureables" to make a gret QB in the NFL. Eli is a leader, a student of the game, and has the best off-the-field support system in the NFL (Two Hall-of-Famers on speed dial on his Nokia). If you have a chance to take a guy like that, you take him. Eli also had adequate arm strength and good accuracy, and everything else.

Maybe we can still get Casey Urlacher in here next season to go with Eli and Billy G., and we can really be the baby brother of the NFL. Maybe we can trade for Torry Holt's brother and Boss Bailey, too.

The QB position is truly unique among football players. There is so much more than size, arm strength, speed. You can easily see these things. You cannot see what goes inside the QB's head or how well he sees the field or how fast he can transfer what he sees into action. This is why so many QB's fail when they get to the Pros. Drafting a QB high is truly the bigest gamble in football but one teams eventually have to take. Blood lines in horses count. It seems it might work the same way in pro sports with people. You look at families like the Alou's in baseball, The Bonds in baseball, Mannings in football and a host of others. These guys bring a lifetime of being around a father who talked and played ball everyday and taught them from day one. Come draft day you have to count this for something if everything else is near equal. I know the teams who are seriously scouting these guys must know everything about them from many years back asiide from what they see on film, on the field and in interviews. I do not know of many dumb QB's. Most are well spoken. Terry Bradshaw had the tag of being stupid when he came into the NFL perhaps because he ran to much and tried to run over people. Turns out he was not stupid at all but stupid like a fox.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Loyal Card 17
i'm new to this board. to get in the drafting a qb subject, i add phillip rivers name to the board. one of the top rated qb in the country. why not draft him.

I've been talking about him for months now, and so has cubbie (AZCB34).

Philip Rivers is a winner. Check out his website philiprivers.com

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Philip Rivers would be nice if we aren't picking #1 or #2 but, if we pick there we damn sure better pick Manning or Roethlisberger.

CardsRep03

Registered
Reaction score
Take Manning if he's there. Remember, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Seeing "Manning" on the back of a Cardinal uni would look pretty good....

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by john h
The QB position is truly unique among football players. There is so much more than size, arm strength, speed. You can easily see these things. You cannot see what goes inside the QB's head or how well he sees the field or how fast he can transfer what he sees into action. This is why so many QB's fail when they get to the Pros. Drafting a QB high is truly the bigest gamble in football but one teams eventually have to take. Blood lines in horses count. It seems it might work the same way in pro sports with people. You look at families like the Alou's in baseball, The Bonds in baseball, Mannings in football and a host of others. These guys bring a lifetime of being around a father who talked and played ball everyday and taught them from day one. Come draft day you have to count this for something if everything else is near equal. I know the teams who are seriously scouting these guys must know everything about them from many years back asiide from what they see on film, on the field and in interviews. I do not know of many dumb QB's. Most are well spoken. Terry Bradshaw had the tag of being stupid when he came into the NFL perhaps because he ran to much and tried to run over people. Turns out he was not stupid at all but stupid like a fox.

Great post.

pinnacle

Reaction score
question: how many sons does Archie have? I thought he had 4 - but only two (eli and peyton) were athletes...just curious..

pinnacle

Reaction score
found answer to my own question..

Cooper, the oldest, was a wide receiver at Mississippi before a spinal ailment curtailed his career. Peyton was a high school All-America before starring at the University of Tennessee. Eli, also a high school All-America, accepted a scholarship to Mississippi.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
For Those

For those who are worried about Big Ben you may not need to fret......he's good enough for the #1 pick in the draft....if San Diego takes him then case closed.....I like Eli....but something tells me Big Ben will make us wish we drafted him or thank God we drafted him.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by john h

I'm gonna throw a wrench in your argument. Brian Griese. Yeah, uhm...exactly. Deal with that. :)

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Big Ben...

After seeing the game last night, and reading up on him... this guy is going to be one heck of a leader for someone. Here's a passage from his bio that really impresses me:

team captain in all three sports … averaged 26.5 points, nine rebounds and five assists per game as a senior point guard in basketball … a .300 hitter as a shortstop for Findlay's baseball squad ... earned second-team all-league and district honors in basketball and baseball.

SENIOR POINT GUARD. 6'5"?? The guy is too good to be true.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Well

Originally posted by sly fly
Big Ben...

After seeing the game last night, and reading up on him... this guy is going to be one heck of a leader for someone. Here's a passage from his bio that really impresses me:

team captain in all three sports … averaged 26.5 points, nine rebounds and five assists per game as a senior point guard in basketball … a .300 hitter as a shortstop for Findlay's baseball squad ... earned second-team all-league and district honors in basketball and baseball.

SENIOR POINT GUARD. 6'5"?? The guy is too good to be true.

This is the kinda stuff that makes me say.....OK we drafted Eli......but it also makes me say......We had the first pick in the 2004 draft and we drafted Big Ben and that's OK.

Bobcat

Reaction score
Hey guy's please read this article from NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6931151

It shows you how you can make or break a young QB without good coaching. We nearly broke Jake Plummer here. I only hope that the next franchise QB we draft will not be as under coached here as Jake was here.

It's coahing guy's, not just the players, but merely coahing that can bring out the best the player can be while preforming on the field.

Allan:thumbup: :wave:

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bobcat
Hey guy's please read this article from NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6931151

It shows you how you can make or break a young QB without good coaching. We nearly broke Jake Plummer here. I only hope that the next franchise QB we draft will not be as under coached here as Jake was here.

It's coahing guy's, not just the players, but merely coahing that can bring out the best the player can be while preforming on the field.

Allan:thumbup: :wave:

I agree wholeheartedly.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Easy Call

Originally posted by red desert
Manning or "The 'Berger"... tough call.

The tough call will be on San Diego's shoulder.

Then again they my think that Drew Brees will lead them to the promised land and they pass on both QB's....so it's possible that we need to pick between two gems.....that's a problem I don't mind havin....except it means we sucked this year.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05