Rumor: Coaches who left, will not get SB bonus money

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ugh, just got a call from an old buddy who said this info will hit the news outlets soon.

I don't know how reliable this information is, but could be a PR nightmare for this team if true.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I think we would need to find out if this is common, or not, before passing judgement.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Ugh, just got a call from an old buddy who said this info will hit the news outlets soon.

I don't know how reliable this information is, but could be a PR nightmare for this team if true.

This report is now circulating on the internet. The articles even go back and quote from FS Robert Griffith who blasted the organization for being so cheap that they charged him for the mailing of his contract and locked the gatorade fridge on off days.

If this is indeed true, shame on the Cardinal FO.

Can there be even more acrimony following what was a magical year?

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It is a rumor on ProFootballTalk.Com. As always with that site, it is unnamed sources.

It is actually part of a huge "Cardinals Suck" op-ed that includes just about every old rumor connected to the Cardinals and ends with the:

"The Cardinals making the Super Bowl was a fluke for a crappy organization"

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They coached in the game, they got them there... It's their money, this is probably just Cardinals bashing coming full circle

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can there be even more acrimony following what was a magical year?

The only acrimony is the one being created by the media. Antonio Smith was on the radio the other day saying how he loved the organization. Warner says he doesn't want to play elsewhere.

They are clearly doing something right.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
interesting

I am sure Urban will respond with something

I will say this -- I have worked lots of places where there were annual bonuses for meeting certain financial targets -- but if you voluntarily left before they were paid out, you lost them ( we called it the "must be present to win" rule). If you were laid off, you were paid the bonus.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
That Robert Griffith story was proven to be bogus years ago, yet some still choose to believe it. Contracts are never mailed to players. The player has to come to the Cardinal offices to sign their deals.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
That Robert Griffith story was proven to be bogus years ago, yet some still choose to believe it. Contracts are never mailed to players. The player has to come to the Cardinal offices to sign their deals.
...and the story on PFT references that through about 50% of the story to give it some bite.

Link

NuttinButTDs

Registered
Reaction score
1. It is a rumor
2. Unless it was in their employment contract, bonuses are usually the perogative of the employer.
3. The employer may decided to give bonsues to his employees. If the employee has quit, they dont get the bonus. I have left a job and found out later that I would have got a bonus if I had stuck around for 2 more weeks.

Another crappy spin to events.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't think of one business that gives bonuses to people after they quit. I don't understand why anyone would consider this out of the norm.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crappy PR is standard.

If you have nothing to say, crap on the Cardinals, SOP for NFL reporters/web sites

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Can't imagine this would be true (Whisenhunt would never stand for it and probably would've bolted for another opening this offseason) but if so it's deplorable.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
1. It is a rumor
2. Unless it was in their employment contract, bonuses are usually the perogative of the employer.
3. The employer may decided to give bonsues to his employees. If the employee has quit, they dont get the bonus. I have left a job and found out later that I would have got a bonus if I had stuck around for 2 more weeks.

Another crappy spin to events.

That's true. My employer hands out Christmas bonuses every year to our employees, but if someone quits before Christmas then they don't get the bonus.

Redbird 78

Reaction score
Nuttin is correct. Corporations only pay bonuses to people employed at the time the bonuses are paid out (unless it's in your contract). Leave before, and you forfeit your bonus.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
interesting

I am sure Urban will respond with something

I will say this -- I have worked lots of places where there were annual bonuses for meeting certain financial targets -- but if you voluntarily left before they were paid out, you lost them ( we called it the "must be present to win" rule). If you were laid off, you were paid the bonus.

+1

I don't see why everyone thinks their sports teams should be run any different than any other business. That is what this is, a business.

Mitch

Reaction score
+1

I don't see why everyone thinks their sports teams should be run any different than any other business. That is what this is, a business.

Sorry, but that's lame. 2 coaches got promotions and two were fired. They all deserve their bonuses.

spyboots

Rookie
Reaction score
Shouldn't they also get paid also for making it to ALL the playoff games? Players too.

By the way, does anyone know if the Cards ordering NFC Championship rings? Some organizations do.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but that's lame. 2 coaches got promotions and two were fired. They all deserve their bonuses.

Sorry Mitch, but you are wrong about this. Quit or fired, it doesn't make any difference. Businesses don't pay bonuses to people who are no longer employed there.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not if they quit. That bonus will be split among the people who stayed there. Very commonplace in the business world.

Totally agree. Bonuses are meant to keep people around. You don't pay a bonus to someone who has left the company. That would be just plain stupid.

Mitch

Reaction score
Sorry Mitch, but you are wrong about this. Quit or fired, it doesn't make any difference. Businesses don't pay bonuses to people who are no longer employed there.

In this case, 40, they should. Heck, even Indy gave Edge a Super Bowl ring the year after he left. Class is class, plain and simple.