Ryan Williams

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not possible to judge any other position (QB, RB) with this OL.
True. But I'd venture a guess that - given our lack of run blocking - we might be better using a bigger RB who can move the pile all on his own. Right now, that would appear to be Alfonso Smith (unless we want to turn the Shermanator into a Jumbo RB).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For Mulli, I went ahead and did the 2009 draft in which the 2nd round included arguably the best player in the draft, Lesean McCoy.

Along with Lesean McCOY, there are many other good players and starters that came out of that draft. Still out of the 32 picks there are only 17 starters of the group, each with their own varying degrees of success.
Det- Delmas, Stl- Lauranaitis, NE-Chung, Cin-Maualuga, Buff-Byrd, Hou-Barwin, Sea-Unger, Phi- McCoy, Min-Loadholt, Atl-Moore, Bal-Kruger, NE-Vollmer, Car-Martin, NYG-Beatty, Mia-Smith, Buff-Levitre, Jax-Britton.

Then you have guys who are already out of the league, like Cody Brown, on their 3rd or 4th teams, like Darius Butler, or are playing in Canada, like David Veikune.

Either way about 50% is about the best you can expect for a 2nd rounder to make it and contribute. But there is value as you can also find a guy like Lesean McCoy. However chances are you can just easily draft an OLB for the Saskatchewan Roughriders and that has been my point all along.

why don't you do a breakdown of a random 3rd round and then we can actually see the difference between 2nd round picks and the rest of the draft?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True. But I'd venture a guess that - given our lack of run blocking - we might be better using a bigger RB who can move the pile all on his own. Right now, that would appear to be Alfonso Smith (unless we want to turn the Shermanator into a Jumbo RB).

I'm all for that. I really do think he's our best option. He can catch the ball, he blocks as well or better than any of our other RB's and I think he has a better sense of when to protect and when to give his QB an outlet.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Ryan Williams is 100% coming back from his injury, but why do I think if the Cardinals let him go to another NFL team he will become a very effective RB. There is no way to properly evaluate the QB or RB position behind this OL. I agree about using Sherman more as a RB.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
For Mulli, I went ahead and did the 2009 draft in which the 2nd round included arguably the best player in the draft, Lesean McCoy.

Along with Lesean McCOY, there are many other good players and starters that came out of that draft. Still out of the 32 picks there are only 17 starters of the group, each with their own varying degrees of success.
Det- Delmas, Stl- Lauranaitis, NE-Chung, Cin-Maualuga, Buff-Byrd, Hou-Barwin, Sea-Unger, Phi- McCoy, Min-Loadholt, Atl-Moore, Bal-Kruger, NE-Vollmer, Car-Martin, NYG-Beatty, Mia-Smith, Buff-Levitre, Jax-Britton.

Then you have guys who are already out of the league, like Cody Brown, on their 3rd or 4th teams, like Darius Butler, or are playing in Canada, like David Veikune.

Either way about 50% is about the best you can expect for a 2nd rounder to make it and contribute. But there is value as you can also find a guy like Lesean McCoy. However chances are you can just easily draft an OLB for the Saskatchewan Roughriders and that has been my point all along.

That's exactly what (used to) make second-round picks so valuable. You have very nearly as much chance of getting a contributing player in the second round as in the first, for sometimes 10% of the cost of the contract. Because of the new CBA, this is a little less true.

You have less of a chance (obviously) of getting a transcendent player like Charles Johnson in the second round, but you have as good a chance of getting a solid player with the 42nd pick in the draft as you do with the 19th. And you'll pay him a quarter as much.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
It's Rwills 5th NFL game ever after reconstructive knee surgery? Cody Brown- Buster Davis comes to mind but as long as your cherry picking how bout Mcfadden, Faneca and porter as FA crap cookers.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I think you're being uncharitable, also, in not adding at least Muhummod Massaquoi (WR-CLE) and Sherrod Martin (DB-CAR) to that list.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I think you're being uncharitable, also, in not adding at least Muhummod Massaquoi (WR-CLE) and Sherrod Martin (DB-CAR) to that list.
Martin is on the list
Massaquoi: I guess that's like being a player/starter for the Charlotte Bobcats last year. Somebody has to be out there. Go ahead and count him if you want. He'll never start for another NFL team barring injury. That's still right around 50%. If you combine '08/'09 it's much less than 50%, at 39%, 41% if you want to count Massoquoi.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Martin is on the list
Massaquoi: I guess that's like being a player/starter for the Charlotte Bobcats last year. Somebody has to be out there. Go ahead and count him if you want. He'll never start for another NFL team barring injury. That's still right around 50%. If you combine '08/'09 it's much less than 50%, at 39%, 41% if you want to count Massoquoi.

'08 was the worst draft class in recent memory, though. Maybe the worst draft class since Matt Leinart's year. If you add '09-'10 together, you're probably still maintaining your 50% rate.

Remember Vlad Ducasse? He was, like, supposed to be good? Remember Sergio Kindle? Rugby--why has he been a healthy scratch three of the first four weeks of the year?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Remember Sergio Kindle? Rugby--why has he been a healthy scratch three of the first four weeks of the year?

I dunno ? He sucks?

Jeez, put the pressure on would ya ? :D

Sent from Rugbymuffin's Super Phone

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ryan Williams has not been impressive so far. Well besides for his attitude and work ethic.

Coming off injury and the horrible Oline play does need to be considered. I wanted the Cards to draft another RB this past year because RW was coming of a major injury and Beanie hasn't proven he can stay healthy. Hyphen isn't big enough to get significant reps and now he has some injury concerns as well.

I'm thinking that since rd2 draft picks stand a 50% chance of being any good then BPA is still the best philosophy. For comparative purposes let's use the need pick of Cody Brown vs the BPA pick of RW. Brown total bust, RW still has a chance to be an effective contributor on the team.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

That surely applies to the Cardinals.

Daryl Washington-Cody Brown
Calais Campbell - Alan Branch
Deuce Lutui - JJ Arrington
Karlos Dansby - Levar Fisher
Anquan Boldin - Michael Stone
Ray Thompson - Johnny Rutledge
Jake Plummer - Leland McElroy
Frank Sanders - Chuck Levy

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I haven't given up on RW; it's his first real playing time and he's never in his life seen the type of gap penetration we're giving up. It's hard enough adjusting to the speed of defenses in the pro's when coming from college and almost impossible when you have the type of backfield penetration that we're giving up. I dont think he can be fairly judged behind this line. He's also the best pass-blocking RB on our team by far. Scheme-wise we need to get the dude out into space with flares, bubble screens and leak outs.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't think that RW can get a fair assessment until the OL improves. If nothing else he's getting much needed experience. Hope to see more of Smith and Powell.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Don't think that RW can get a fair assessment until the OL improves. If nothing else he's getting much needed experience. Hope to see more of Smith and Powell.
honestly, I think Smith is the least talented of the 3. But RW and Powell need space to create something. Smith is bigger and I think is better suited for this swiss cheese OL that we currently have

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05