SA article: Are You Blinded By The Suns?

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Tuesday, May 31, 2005
Are You Blinded By The Suns?

It seems everyone is ecstatic over the Suns victory yesterday against the Spurs. Phoenix put on a gutsy performance to avoid being swept and did so on San Antonio's home court. However, for everyone in the press writing the one zillionth version of "The Suns Aren't Done Yet", I've got good news and bad news.

Let's start with the good news. Phoenix gave viewers yesterday the NBA version of sports anatomy 101. Here is our heart, here is our soul, our spine and our guts. We are not going to show you our tails heading out the door. Let's give credit where it is due. The Suns staved off elimination in one of the most hostile houses in the NBA neighborhood. Not only that, but they actually played good defense at critical times in the game.

Hey, let's just say it. As a team, Phoenix played one of their best games, if not their best, of the entire postseason. Credit to Amare Stoudemire for a great job on defense, and what about that block at the end of the game? I don't have words for that play. Not only did Stoudemire block Duncan's dunk, but he rotated to the opposite side of the basket to do so. The dunk would have changed the game while the block most certainly did.

On offense, the Suns were virtually unstoppable. The passing started with their floor leader Steve Nash. What's up with him lying down swaddled in towels on the sideline? Someone please explain. The manic guard Nash. If he's not semi-comatose on the bench (or floor), he's in a fevered frenzy on the court. The starting five scored 99 of their 111 points. The ball movement was great and every shot was going in.

While STAT was his usual Spurs killing self, Joe Johnson joined the party. Maybe Johnson needed a game to get back to being himself, because last night, he was unstoppable. Johnson scored 26 points, hit the three, and was money from the inside and out. Without the masked man, the Suns don't rise to see another day.

Bad news time. It won't be enough.

If you remember, or even care, I told you that Phoenix would be done in 5 games, 6 at the very most. I'm sticking to 5, although I have enough respect for the Suns' north-south attack to believe they could squeak out another win. Now that our little coddling session is over, let's talk facts.

The Suns played the best defense they have to offer, while San Antonio hardly played an average version of their offense and the Spurs still put up 106 points. Tim Duncan for most of the game was timid on offense. He wasn't demanding the ball and the defensive attention that goes with it, frequently settling to pop out and set a pick as opposed to working the inside-out game. When he did want the ball in the post, the defense collapsed and the Spurs got plenty of open looks. But it was too little. In the fourth quarter, Duncan tried to turn on the aggressive switch, but it was too late.

Phoenix showed San Antonio everything they have. All the cards were placed on the table. They are left holding nothing in their hand and so now the Spurs can plan what to bring for game 5 without wondering about surprises.

You can be sure of this:

San Antonio will not be late to rotate to the open man in tomorrow's game like they were in game 4 (Phoenix was 50% from the 3).

Tim Duncan better not be 3-12 from the charity stripe. While he's no Reggie Miller from the line, Duncan can do better than that.

Speaking of Duncan, expect a completely different player on offense. The Spurs will be on the opposing court and understand that the big man has to get going early and often. I'm sure the Big Fundamental was dreaming of Pops up in his grill over the lack of offense.

Tony Parker, Brent Barry and Nazr Mohammed will all have to step up for game 5. It would be a surprise for Parker to have back-to-back bad games offensively. Barry will hopefully get rid of the scared and confused look after experiencing a good dose of Joe Johnson "in your face" defense. Mohammed played well but could be more of the solid presence that he has been in most of the postseason.

Lastly, it would be nothing short of a miracle to see the Suns duplicate their game 4 performance. While they avoided elimination, they only did so by a narrow margin, at times looking like they were going to let the game slip away. Phoenix may be tired of hearing about San Antonio's experience and championship ways, and yes, the truth hurts. But if they want to get to where the Spurs have been, they better learn from it.

http://www.thepostgame.com/2005/05/are-you-blinded-by-suns.html

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Of course it is likely that the series will be over in five or six games. However, this article isn't quite on the mark.

Had the writer watched the Dallas series, he would know that the Suns have had several excellent games in the postseason, not just last night.

Also, while it's true that the Suns' defense was pretty good and probably can't get a whole lot better, their rebounding was very poor, and downright abominable in the first half. There is a lot of room for improvement there.

Finally, while Duncan was uncharacteristically passive, we should remember two things. First, this is the same Duncan that we saw on the Olympic team. When defenses collapse on him and get in his face, he tries to kick the ball back out rather than force things. But it takes him out of his rhythm and rattles him mentally, and that shows up at the free-throw line. Duncan is a great player, probably the best in the game, but he has weaknesses. They were exposed in Athens and the Suns are starting to find them again.

And secondly, Duncan didn't contribute much offensively, but the rest of the Spurs did just fine. Ginobili's one-man HORSE exhibition in the second quarter was outrageous, and while he has a well-deserved reputation for being able to make difficult shots, it's pretty unlikely that he'll make seven or eight in a row again. Parker finally showed why he isn't yet an elite player, but the rest of the Spurs shot 37-78, better than 47%, and (again minus Parker) they were 48% from behind the arc.

The Spurs are up 3-1 and have a large margin for error. But it's simply incorrect to say that Game 4 is the best the Suns can hope for. Phoenix won, but they didn't play that well, and San Antonio didn't play that badly.

OP
OP
A

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
We gave up what 20 offensive rebounds? Probably the most in this series so far. That is a lot of second chance points and put backs. That definitely can and should be improved going forward if we need to have any chances to pull the series.

PHX2

Fashion Police
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Of course it is likely that the series will be over in five or six games. However, this article isn't quite on the mark.

Had the writer watched the Dallas series, he would know that the Suns have had several excellent games in the postseason, not just last night.

Also, while it's true that the Suns' defense was pretty good and probably can't get a whole lot better, their rebounding was very poor, and downright abominable in the first half. There is a lot of room for improvement there.

That was EXACTLY what I was gonna say...those two "facts" that he said are what just stuck out for me...

I think this writer is a bit blinded by the Spurs and by that I mean he's only clear on all the things that they (the Spurs) did right and wrong without having all that much knowledge on the Suns and their capabilities...

I think even to the non Suns and non Spurs fan it was pretty clear that their was plenty of areas to improve in on the defensive end for the Suns

AZZenny

Reaction score
Yep - I just keep thinking, My God! If we start clicking on ALL cylinders, if everyone shows up with the A game - Wow!

Plus, in response to this article - One of the things Oakland's Billy Beane has pointed out - in a five or 7 game series, the role of chance, or luck, is magnified compared to a long season where there's time for random details to even out. A ball rolls off the rim, not in. A ref glances for an extra half-second and sees or doesn't see something. Someone gets on a hot streak, someone gets cold. There's no telling how it will play out in any single game.

Spurs are a fine team. SUNS are a fine team. Suns now know they can beat the Spurs, and I don't think they'll forget that.

I am SO pumped! Bring on the Kool-aid!

djohnson

Rookie
Reaction score
Besides the defensive rebounding, the other problem the Suns are having with the Spurs is getting the ball stripped from them all the time. It seems that everytime someone drives the lane, the Spurs are stripping the ball from them. Shore up the rebounding and limit the turnovers and we should win not only game 5, but the series also.

Yes I said it. I've only had one drink too.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Spurs got a fair number of offensive rebounds - but they also gave up a huge number of transition baskets. That has been the story teams have struggled with all season when playing the Suns. Crashing the boards is a high risk operation because if you don't get the rebound - someone gets an easy basket.

It took Joe Johnson a game to get back into the swing of things, but once he returned at near full strength the physical advantages of the Spurs melted away. JJ at 6'8" is more physical than any of the Spurs wing men and even Bruce Bowen can't stop him.

This game was not a fluke of bad play by the Spurs. The Suns have the talent to win against anyone.

Compa

Registered
Reaction score
elindholm said:
The Spurs are up 3-1 and have a large margin for error. But it's simply incorrect to say that Game 4 is the best the Suns can hope for. Phoenix won, but they didn't play that well, and San Antonio didn't play that badly.

Agreed. The Spurs had 18 more FGAs than the Suns, 7 more 3PAs, and 7 more FTAs. While the Suns shot a much better percentage in all shooting stats, they could probably be less accurate and still have a good chance of winning if they close this shooting attempts gap (with the aforementioned off rebounds and prevention of TOs).

cly2tw

Reaction score
Eric is right. It's not about the total level of play which team is capable of that's important from game 4. For the Suns, it's about the belief and confidence that they can fight off the Spurs in the close 4th quarters. Mind you guys, all the games so far have been close. In three of them, Suns had a lead into the 4th, despite the horrendous defense, particularly regarding def. reb., in the 1st halves. I think the Suns should have gotten enough film material now to tell Amare that just a little bit more mental focus, to remember to put a body to Duncan in those cases would have saved us a lot of possessions. And apropos stripping the ball, it's also mostly Amare without sharp focus. So, when we make good in this little area while having confidence in our late game staying power. It's still an open series in my mind. :thumbup:

sunsfn

Reaction score
A couple things that will help the suns in this next game are, JJ is not only back, he has fresh legs compared to the other players right now, and, this is a home game.

There is an advantage with the refs at home even in the playoffs. Tony Parker will probably get a couple hand checking calls on him early in this game, and I do not expect Amare to get two fouls early in this game.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
There is an advantage with the refs at home even in the playoffs. Tony Parker will probably get a couple hand checking calls on him early in this game, and I do not expect Amare to get two fouls early in this game.

Sorry, hasn't been the case in the first two games at home. I thought we did better in game 4 at SA.

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Finally, while Duncan was uncharacteristically passive, we should remember two things. First, this is the same Duncan that we saw on the Olympic team. When defenses collapse on him and get in his face, he tries to kick the ball back out rather than force things. But it takes him out of his rhythm and rattles him mentally, and that shows up at the free-throw line. Duncan is a great player, probably the best in the game, but he has weaknesses. They were exposed in Athens and the Suns are starting to find them again.

That is a really astute point. D'Antoni had to be paying close attention to the Olympic debacle, in which Duncan was effectively neutered. With the right personnel (i.e. JJ), it can work. The only difference between Athens and the NBA is that the refs in Athens were not in awe of Duncan and did not give him the superstar treatment that is a big component of his dominance.

baltimorer

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
elindholm said:

Actually, I have to disagree. If all you had to do to rattle Duncan mentally was "collapse on him," he wouldn't be a two-time Finals MVP. It's true that when defenses put double and tripple teams on him, he will almost automatically kick the ball, but that is more a product of the Spurs offense and his natural tendency to share the basketball. Tim Duncan is a superstar; he wants you to double team him, because he's surrounded by guys that you can't leave open. And I am 100% sure they practice it in practice a great deal. So why would Duncan get rattled when he sees Joe Johnson run over to him, just as he knows JJ will do, then he throws the ball out to Tony Parker, just like he's done the past 4 years of his career, and watches Parker make a wide-open shot. Tim Duncan expects double teams to come - he sees them every game - and he very rarely forces the issue. He makes the smart pass out to wide open basketball players who make easy shots from the perimeter and then get grossly overrated by the media because they can throw up a little shot fake and drive to the basket (cough Ginobli cough Parker cough). Hell, if I was Tim Duncan and all I had to do was catch a ball with my back to the basket, wait till somebody else runs at me, and pass it to the person who this runner was supposed to be guarding, and then get perennial MVP consideration, I'd be a lot of things - thrilled, rich, in disbelief - but rattled wouldn't be one of them.

Tim Duncan misses free throws cause he sucks at free throws. I know he made 15 of 15 free throws or whatever in Game 3, but Shaq made 7-8 ft's in the 4th quarter of game 3. Last night, he shot them poorly again. Do you think he was rattled? I don't.

As far as Athens is concerned,

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
i think you're right on the 'rattled' comment, but wrong on the 'out of rhythm' comment. if you don't shoot the ball much throughout the game, and/or get manhandled everytime you try to shoot, you're more likely to get out of rhythm, no matter who you are.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Tim Duncan misses free throws cause he sucks at free throws. I know he made 15 of 15 free throws or whatever in Game 3, but Shaq made 7-8 ft's in the 4th quarter of game 3.

I discussed the differences between Duncan's and O'Neal's free-throw woes in another thread.

I don't know how you can possibly say Duncan wasn't rattled if you watched the game. Obviously the same tactics won't work every time, but apparently they work sometimes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake