Sad news about our Pat Tillman

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
My heart aches for Pat Tillman and the rest of men and women who have given their life in defense of this great country.

May God bless them all, and all of their families, and may their sacrifice never be forgotten.

TILLMANFAN

Reaction score
As my screen name says, I have been and all ways will be a Tillman fan. He allways gave 110% on the field, and now he has made the ultimate sacrifice. It has been suggested that a statue of Pat Tillman be placed at the stadium. This would be a fitting reminder of what Pat Tillman meant to the organization and community.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have this poem at work which was contained on a very special loved one's Memorial Service momento. I don't know who wrote it. Forgive me if it's too maudlin but I would like to post it for Pat.

Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep,
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn's rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circled flight,
I am the soft stars that shine at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there, I did not die.

Whenever I read this poem, which is every day, I remember her. Maybe this will help others who knew him, or fans that loved him, remember Pat always.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most people enter the military as a way to better themselves in some way. It teaches young men and women how to reach their potential. Pat Tillman entered the military with no room for improvement. When you hear the phrase "real man" the definition of that is Tilly. He is as selfless as anyone could possibly be and is the true definition of hero.

What drives a man to walk away from $3million to fight a war in a miserable desert? Pride, a love for his country and countrymen and an unparrallelled sense of right and wrong. He's given us something better than he ever could have on a football field, a true role model.

I was shocked when I heard about this on the radio today. All we ever hear are numbers, statistics. This is something that only happens to other people. Everone is familiar with the saying "all gave some, some gave all" It's not surprising that Pat gave all since that was the way he lived life. 100% at all times, no exceptions. His sacrifice is something everyone will always remember and in that sense he's not dead, he's immortal. The best we can do is to honor him and all our soldiers and strive to make the world a better place so that these types of things don't have to happen again. A world Pat Tillman would be proud of.

To be half the man Pat Tillman was is to be the greatest man in the world.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was beautiful, Joe. It brought tears to my eyes.

Pat Tillman will live on in the hearts of all the people who were touched by his honor, determination and selfless love of the Red White and Blue. Thank you Pat for protecting our freedoms and giving the ultimate sacrifice. You will never be forgotten.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assface said:
The best we can do is to honor him and all our soldiers and strive to make the world a better place so that these types of things don't have to happen again. A world Pat Tillman would be proud of.

To be half the man Pat Tillman was is to be the greatest man in the world.

Amen!

Still haven't stopped crying. Still can't believe he is gone. If I have cried this much then how can I even imagine what his wife Marie is going through? She and the entire Tillman family are in my prayers, as is your brother, Ryan.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jersey Girl Cards Fan said:
Amen!

Still haven't stopped crying. Still can't believe he is gone. If I have cried this much then how can I even imagine what his wife Marie is going through? She and the entire Tillman family are in my prayers, as is your brother, Ryan.
My mother called me crying because she heard that Pat was due home any day now just like my brother. My brother *might* be home within the next month or so but we haven't talked to him for a few weeks so we don't know if his name was on the extension list or not. He's a Green Beret so we never know where the heck he is, he was in Washington State about 6 months ago so he could be anywhere now.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
My mother called me crying because she heard that Pat was due home any day now just like my brother. My brother *might* be home within the next month or so but we haven't talked to him for a few weeks so we don't know if his name was on the extension list or not. He's a Green Beret so we never know where the heck he is, he was in Washington State about 6 months ago so he could be anywhere now.

That must be so hard to deal with. I know that I don't know know what I would do without my brother and sister. We're all late 20s/early 30s and single. We hang together almost every weekend. The draft is an annual thing, just the three of us. No one else is allowed. They mean the world to me.

Keep us posted, Ryan.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TRW said:
I have this poem at work which was contained on a very special loved one's Memorial Service momento. I don't know who wrote it. Forgive me if it's too maudlin but I would like to post it for Pat.

Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep,
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn's rain.

When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circled flight,
I am the soft stars that shine at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there, I did not die.

Whenever I read this poem, which is every day, I remember her. Maybe this will help others who knew him, or fans that loved him, remember Pat always.

The poem is by Mary Elizabeth Frye.

I think a cool idea would be for the Cards to make special camo-jersey's with Tilly's number and Ranger patch on it and donate the proceeds to a charity in his honor. Just a thought since they are being tossed around.

Shawn

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Its hard to put in to words how I feel about his death.

I met him once at training camp in Flagstaff wished him luck and shook his hand. I consider myself lucky to have been in the presence of such a great man.

The world is a lesser place without him but a better place because of him.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
My deepest sympathies to Pat's family and friends and everyone touched by this extraordinary individual. So many of us were hurt by September 11th. We were shocked, we cried, we got angry and then most of us seemed to go on with our lives. Two men didn't. They changed their lives dramatically. They gave up fortune and fame to answer the call of their country under attack. They joined the Rangers and took the fight to our enemies. They did it without fanfare. They had too much respect for their brothers in arms to seek publicity. Trajically Pat lost his life today, just one day before he was scheduled to come home. I hope that we don't get caught up so much in Pat's death that we forget the reason he went in the first place. I think that would be a disservice to his memory. He answered the call to protect our country from those looking to destroy it. This is a time when we should all be united in defeating our enemies. Maybe we can't do as Pat did but we could be giving unwavering support for those who do. They are our champions and we're going to need more just like them before it's all over.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After reading and crying through so many heartfelt posts I struggle to write anything worthy of expressing my own respect, grief and appreciation for Pat Tillman and his family.

RIP

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
FYI

The Tillman story has crossed the border, so to speak. We have three daily newspapers up here in Ottawa, and the story is prominent in all three. One (The Ottawa Sun) has a large official military photo of Pat on the front page.

May he rest in peace, knowing he did more than his duty to all, and confident that we will never forget.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
FYI

The Tillman story has crossed the border, so to speak. We have three daily newspapers up here in Ottawa, and the story is prominent in all three. One (The Ottawa Sun) has a large official military photo of Pat on the front page.

May he rest in peace, knowing he did more than his duty to all, and confident that we will never forget.

:thumbup: Good to hear!

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why Pat? Why NOW??

If we really are "appointed" so many days here, why take Pat home now? I have been thinking about the draft since the last game against Minn.-- Maybe even before that. NOW I'm thinking about Pat Tillman and the sacrifice he made for me. ...And I'm also thinking about all our service-people, and anyone defending our freedom. I have NOT been praying regularly for them. THAT changes NOW!! On the eve/morning of the draft, when everyone is "consumed" w/ football (myself included) I've been reminded that some things are ALOT more important.
Awhile back I posted that I wanted/needed "heroes". Players that I could cheer for on & off the field. I've just been reminded that I had one right in front of me all along. Pat Tillman.
May Gods' peace comfort the Tillman family & all those that are hurting.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
NeverSayDieFan said:
If we really are "appointed" so many days here, why take Pat home now? I have been thinking about the draft since the last game against Minn.-- Maybe even before that. NOW I'm thinking about Pat Tillman and the sacrifice he made for me. ...And I'm also thinking about all our service-people, and anyone defending our freedom. I have NOT been praying regularly for them. THAT changes NOW!! On the eve/morning of the draft, when everyone is "consumed" w/ football (myself included) I've been reminded that some things are ALOT more important.
Awhile back I posted that I wanted/needed "heroes". Players that I could cheer for on & off the field. I've just been reminded that I had one right in front of me all along. Pat Tillman.
May Gods' peace comfort the Tillman family & all those that are hurting.

Nice post.

I remember that thread.

Pat Tillman were the only 2 words I printed.

I'm not a prophet but Pat is a hero.

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The body of former Arizona Cardinals safety Pat Tillman arrived at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware on Monday, a military official said.

Tillman's family didn't release what funeral home the body would be taken to, said Shari Lawrence, a spokeswoman for the Army Human Resources Command.

Tillman, who gave up his NFL career to join the Army Rangers in 2002, was killed in combat Thursday in Afghanistan.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/0426tillman-body-arrives-ON.html

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
WizardOfAz said:
I am hopeful that the media respects the Tillman family's wish for privacy.

I agree, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05