Sad news about our Pat Tillman

TrentAZCards

Veteran
Reaction score
This is very sad. I've been fighting tears back since I found out the news when I got outta school. A greatly inspriring man, and was a very great Arizonan. A man that I've met a few times while he was at Arizona State and with the Cardinals. A great man.

My prayers to his family, and all those people overseas fighting for the United States.

RIP Pat, you will be missed...one of the greatest football players out there.

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
All of our service men and women in harms way are heroes. Pat Tillman was one of those.

But Tilly is the only one I felt I knew, that won't be coming back.

He's also the only one I can honor with a Cardinals jersey. The only sports jersey I own, I got for free from the Cardinals. I'm not really into the individuals in sports, more the team aspect.

But I will wear #40.

Pat Tillman wanted to "pay back" his country, for the privelidged life he's had.

That's enough Tilly, enough.

God bless his family, and his memory.

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
KingofCards said:
Damn today sucks. RIP Pat you are an insperation to us all. To top this day off a bird **** on me today and I had a horrible fight with the wife, none of that means anything now.

:sad:
I know - I was ticked this AM because I forgot to include a clean pair of undies in my gym bag - so I am wearing the ones I worked out in.

I feel like such an ass now....(no pun)...man this sucks - Pat, thanks for all you did!

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
NavyVet said:
Too late....

To paraphrase a famous movie scene:

"Pat Tillman used words like honor, code, loyalty. He used those words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a opportunity to espouse your political views.

I would rather you just said "thank you" Pat Tillman and went on your way.

Either way, I don't give a damn what you think"

:notworthy:

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
When I was

up there I ran into a friend who works for the Cards. I signed the memorial sheet and then got interviewed. I couldn't control my stammering trying to hold back the tears. I'd met him a few times and chatted once. Amazing, the profound effect he's had on so many.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am in shock....

My brother (hopefully) should be home in a month, I sorta felt like Pat was invincible, but now that he is gone a painful reality has occured and I want everybody home

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
I've been tearing up all day. It is amazing when I step back and think how a bunch of grown macho football fans can be stricken by this. That's how much what Pat did meant to all of us.

My friend's dad is dating Pat's mom. I never had the pleasure of meeting Pat himself, but my prayers are for their family.

TrentAZCards

Veteran
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
You may all disagree with me but unles you have been in some sort of special forces you wont know.

Pat Tillman would not want to be honored by retiring his jersey or naming a stadium after him.

In elite groups like the rangers you are part of a family. It may sound like a cliche but in these groups the bonds are almost tighter than the ones with your paternal parent.

He wouldnt want any special honors from football unless they names stadiums after his fallen comrades as well. He would say his sacrifice was no more or less than the man who fell next to him.

Thats what makes Tillman, Tillman. He understood this. Thats what made him a Ranger. I was never a ranger but I was a sniper attached to a ranger group. They are some of the bravest men alive and Pat fit in very well from what I read.

He would want people to know he fought for us and that the men who died with him died for the same cause. And that it was a few men from their family that have died since this war started and not just one man.

Bless Pat Tillman and all his fallen brothers.

My father will know what its like, and will be deeply saddened to. He was US Army Special Forces before he retired. God Bless the Tillman's once again, Tillman is a great inspiration to me. He was a part of a great family. The Special Forces, the Arizonan, the American and most importantly the Tillman family. They raised a great man, too sad for me to deal with it and a very unfortunate event that has occured.

DCCardsFan

Rookie
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
You may all disagree with me but unles you have been in some sort of special forces you wont know.

Pat Tillman would not want to be honored by retiring his jersey or naming a stadium after him.

In elite groups like the rangers you are part of a family. It may sound like a cliche but in these groups the bonds are almost tighter than the ones with your paternal parent.

He wouldnt want any special honors from football unless they names stadiums after his fallen comrades as well. He would say his sacrifice was no more or less than the man who fell next to him.

Thats what makes Tillman, Tillman. He understood this. Thats what made him a Ranger. I was never a ranger but I was a sniper attached to a ranger group. They are some of the bravest men alive and Pat fit in very well from what I read.

He would want people to know he fought for us and that the men who died with him died for the same cause. And that it was a few men from their family that have died since this war started and not just one man.

Bless Pat Tillman and all his fallen brothers.

I think this is right. Whatever needs to be done needs to be tasteful and low key. This next idea is great, with a little fine-tuning.

dopleganger said:
Jim O - Why not retire his jersey and reissue it to the public. With the profits going to the family or some charity Pat believed in.

I’d buy several.

Here's what I propose - Reissuing the Tillman Cards home white jersey with only "40" on the back. No name. $100 a pop.

Proceeds going to a charity Pat or his family believes in (perhaps a fund for families of soldiers injured or killed overseas).

God bless you Tillman. I'll never forget 1998-99.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
DCCardsFan said:
I think this is right. Whatever needs to be done needs to be tasteful and low key. This next idea is great, with a little fine-tuning.

Here's what I propose - Reissuing the Tillman Cards home white jersey with only "40" on the back. No name. $100 a pop.

Proceeds going to a charity Pat or his family believes in (perhaps a fund for families of soldiers injured or killed overseas).

God bless you Tillman. I'll never forget 1998-99.

A great idea. No name on the jersey. It just seems right.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the no-name thing, but I think it would be awesome to have the Ranger patch on the front of one of the shoulders.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Condolences and prayers to the family.

Slainte PT. :beer:

In Flanders Fields
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Djaughe

Reaction score
Man it seems like we lost the real life Captain America.......

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
My 9 month old son will know who Pat Tillman is.

The knot in my throat won't go away.

Damn, screw work today. Can't concentrate.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
More Pics of Tilly

Attachments

• Pat.jpg
    Pat.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Pat0.jpg
    Pat0.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Pat1.jpg
    Pat1.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 51

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Just went to lunch and noticed the flags at my work are at half-mast for Pat.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thank you Pat.
Your death was not in vain, you will be a source of inspiration

for countless Americans generations from now.
GOD BLESS PAT TILLMAN !!!!

I think naming the new stadium "Tillman Field" would be awesome.

Unfortunately it will never happen, unless someone were to sponsor it at a cost of millions per year.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
TRW said:
If true, sad news indeed.

Rest in peace Pat. And, thank you for your selfless courage and living your convictions instead of just talking.

:(

I could not have put it any better.

Rest in Peace Tillman. And my condolences to the Tillman family.
I wish I could say more, but I am speechless, and stunned.

Only the good die young........

Peace
Muffin
:(

Reaction score
Words are inadequate!!!

Pat Tillman lived his life with honor, integrity, and courage.

He now walks with the angels...

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Pat Tillman died for us and what our nation is based upon. My stomach's in a knot, my throat has a lump and my eyes cannot stay dry. The saddest part out of it all is Pat would not want any of these emotions or tributes expressed about him and in knowing this just makes it harder. What a travesty. Tillman is an ideal human being and something so great that we did not fully appreiciate his greatness until his passing.

NYCARDS

Registered
Reaction score
Awful day. Puts getting upset over a 4-12 record into perspective doesn't it?